• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
atleast kobayashi still appears in stuff from time to time unlike chiaki omigawa or the girl that did urabe in mgx ;-;

What's the name of the singer of the Space Dandy OP? I heard another song of his (title in japanese so.. yeah) and I loved it, same funky beat. I want to see if any of his stuff is in Amazon or itunes.

Mature

Yes, this is my first time through Macross, Mazinger and Getter Robo. Not Gundam, though.
Once you're through SDFM, consider immediately following it with Macross: Do you Remember Love?, Macross Plus, and Macross Zero. DYRL is a movie and Plus and Zero are four and five part OVAs, respectively. All of them tremendous through and through.

Hyouka 19

Pretty much a two character episode. Oreki trying to prove that he isn't amazing in Chitendo's eyes

And yet just from the announcement game they were playing, he actually reached the conclusion of the announcement. Simply put, he lost.

There was some almost mouth to mouth in this episode!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Are Sugita and Sawashiro really the most discussed male and female seiyuu here respectively? I mean, I guess Sawashiro is for the girls, but I didn't think Sugita was #1 on the guys' side.

Sawashiro, Tomatsu, and Tanaka are my favorite seiyuus by far.

atleast kobayashi still appears in stuff from time to time unlike chiaki omigawa or the girl that did urabe in mgx ;-;

A tragically failed experiment, that was. I would love to hear Ayako Yoshitani in another anime, in a role that's as appropriate for her as Urabe was, of course. Looks like she's just done a few small roles in TV dramas since MGX.

CorvoSol

Once you're through SDFM, consider immediately following it with Macross: Do you Remember Love?, Macross Plus, and Macross Zero. DYRL is a movie and Plus and Zero are four and five part OVAs, respectively. All of them tremendous through and through.

Is that the chronological order to watch them?

Narag

Is that the chronological order to watch them?

Not entirely but watching Zero first is a bad idea.

SDF Maross -> DYRL (in-universe movie about the events of SDF Macross) -> Macross Plus (set some years later, beautiful work)

Zero is a prequel set before SDF Macross.

Syrinx

Hyouka 19

Pretty much a two character episode. Oreki trying to prove that he isn't amazing in Chitendo's eyes

And yet just from the announcement game they were playing, he actually reached the conclusion of the announcement. Simply put, he lost.

This was one of my favorite episodes of the series for some reason. The interaction between Chitanda and Oreki in this episode for me was great, how he was trying to walk her through his thought process about these things to try to prove that he really isn't that special,
only to hit the nail on the head on what was going on just by that announcement and realize that he basically is.
Also liked that the whole episode was just Oreki and Chitanda.

CorvoSol

SDF Maross -> DYRL (in-universe movie about the events of SDF Macross) -> Macross Plus (set some years later, beautiful work)

What about Frontier and Seven?

Hyouka 19

That was such a good episode (although pretty much every episode was). It's kind of amazing how much they were able to get from such a small thing.

Theonik

Hyouka 17
ih0ykg1kcBM8K.gif
And they nail it effortlessly. The juxtaposition of
Oreki being competent but not doing anything and thus hitting Satoshi, the student council president and what Irisu told Oreki to try and manipulate him on the movie arc is so good. Also they sold them all banzai!
Such a good episode.

To clarify, it's really a prequel to Frontier. It's actually one of the few cases where there are connections that are more than references. Watch Zero before Frontier, not at the start.

RahXephon Series

I gotta say it was better than I expected. I thought it was going to be a very cheap imitation of Evangelion, but instead it was an enjoyable romance mecha show. The last few episodes went full retard so I was afraid it would end similar to Evangelion, but I'm glad to say it ended in a satisfactory fashion. Don't know if I'd recommend it to anyone besides those wanting to watch another psychological/depressing mech show ala Evangelion as even the romance aspect of it is very weird compared to other anime.

This was one of my favorite episodes of the series for some reason. The interaction between Chitanda and Oreki in this episode for me was great, how he was trying to walk her through his thought process about these things to try to prove that he really isn't that special,
only to hit the nail on the head on what was going on just by that announcement and realize that he basically is.
Also liked that the whole episode was just Oreki and Chitanda.

The thing about Chitendo for me is that she's sort of like a Super Guide. The answer has to satisfy her, and if it doesn't, it's basically the wrong answer. So I wonder if it's not so much him, but rather Chitendo being a guiding process of sorts.

That was such a good episode (although pretty much every episode was). It's kind of amazing how much they were able to get from such a small thing.

Reminds me of Ace Attorney 5.

We're not here to make mountains out of mole hills, and yet that's what Mr. Wright does best.

Hyouka 20

Getting close to wrapping this up, we have more quality time with Oreki and Chitendo on New Years. You can smell the purity in this episode.

Military strategies were had
in order to get out of a shed.
The purity didn't make things happen like I expected though.

Just to clarify why are so many in AnimeGAF against a possible second season of Hyouka? Is it because you've lost any hopes of KyoAni doing it justice like with the first season, or because there's no source material?

jman2050

It's not even only that there isn't enough Hyouka material after for a second season, it's that there's little indication that there ever will be enough material for a second season, at least within any sort of soonish timeframe.

Are Sugita and Sawashiro really the most discussed male and female seiyuu here respectively? I mean, I guess Sawashiro is for the girls, but I didn't think Sugita was #1 on the guys' side.

Dunno who else is that popular as a male seiyuu I guess besides Wakamoto and even then he's mostly doing one off roles than being a main character.

I do like Nakamura, Sakurai, and Kakihara these days as well.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure TV 20

This is supposed to be the impressive episode? I can only conclude that people watching Jojo during its TV airing were really starved for animation, as this wasn't particularly impressive - sure, it was better than average for the show, but not really by a large margin. There were some nice cuts in the last half of the episode during Caesar's fight with Wamuu as well as some nice art, especially during
the mourning
. But overall I'd say the amount of animation wasn't that much more than the other better episodes of the show, and the art in episode 8 was more consistently excellent in detail and shading. Maybe my action animation expectations have been skewed upwards after watching Yozakura episodes 5 and 6, but I think I would have found this underwhelming even if I hadn't watched that.

That said, this was still an entertaining episode per usual. It did a good job of fleshing out Caesar
just in time for him to die! But isn't that always how it happens? I'll pour one out for you, true Italian at the end.
A fight without Jojo doesn't sparkle quite so much, but there was still some interesting strategy on display. We're clearly approaching the finale now, and I'm very interested in seeing how things wrap up.

wat

there's not enough material.

I can't remember exactly which page it happened but during a typical (at least this season from what I've seen) "KyoAni has turned to shit" replies, I recall a couple of peeps saying they wouldn't want a possible Hyouka S2. I may be remembering wrong.

It's not even only that there isn't enough Hyouka material after for a second season, it's that there's little indication that there ever will be enough material for a second season, at least within any sort of soonish timeframe.

Four of five novels were part of the adaptation.

Yeah meant to say "not enough" source material. Nevermind now haha. Either ways does this mean the Hyouka author is the japanese GRRM? aka taking forever to release highly anticipated novels?

Yeah meant to say "not enough" source material. Nevermind now haha. Either ways does this mean the Hyouka author is the japanese GRRM? aka taking forever to release highly anticipated novels?

They're not highly anticipated. The Kotenbu novels of which Hyouka is the first were completely unknown before KyoAni's adaptation and there hasn't been new material since that I know of.

duckroll

IIRC, I watched Jojo 15-20 in a row, and by the time I hit 20, it was like going from using a pair of seriously outdated glasses to a brand new prescription pair. It was amazing. :(

Hyouka 21

Yeah I knew there was a reason why Database was loony with his dialogue through the show, jesus christ, I think he's insane. INSAAAAAANE

Even hurt someone who wasn't part of the calculations, Chitendo.

Dickdickgoose

Theonik

Funny thing is a jpeg saved at a good quality would look much better and be much smaller in filesize to boot.
Untrue. Infact, JPEG would not offer any substantial space savings to PNG at more than 80% quality.
Also this is a matter of principle. Feel lucky I'm too lazy to use even more ghastly formats.

duckroll

Untrue. Infact, JPEG would not offer any substantial space savings to PNG at more than 80% quality.
Also this is a matter of principle. Feel lucky I'm too lazy to use even more ghastly formats.

Being stubborn about stupid shit often gets people banned on GAF. :(

Joe Molotov

To be honest, what order you watch them in isn't really important. Also, I wouldn't recommend 7. Can't speak about Frontier having not seen it. I'm too scared of a CG filled Macross.

Here's what you need to know about Macross Frontier:

Ranka >>> Sheryl

Don't let Sheryl stans confuse you.

rtkHvBi.gif

wonzo

Banned
link me the uncompressed png and i'll show you otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom