• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Same-sex fandom has more to do with liking seeing two things you are attracted to do it than any kind of self insertion.

Narag

Aku no Hana 9

Interesting how the current events are a transition of stuff earlier in the series. Not just the obvious like his bike and demand of Nakamura to Kasuga to take her past the hill but how Kasuga's wrestling with the notion of why Saeki doesn't hate him when at one time it was her not noticing him.

Really pleased with Saeki's progression too as she's far less victim and far more the accomplice in it all now. Her words about being happy he took the clothes were interesting in how straightforward she was about it given her reaction to the theft. That left with the feeling it's not just been Kasuga's walls that Nakamura has been knocking down.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I want to raise you a question on what "Rotten Girls" is.

I have no idea really, I saw it first on the past season of Genshiken Nidaime but also seen it coined elsewhere I can't remember. I really wish I had more for you but its not a scene I'm familiar with :(

I've gathered from general interaction with males and the anime community for about 20 years now that guys probably find lesbian relationships titillating an the reason may perhaps be the slight notion that they can imagine themselves some how being apart of any sexual activities the lesbian coupe may have.

I don't think that's entirely true. They just want to watch, not join.

The question is the largely female-dominated side of otaku-dom whom have an extreme-interest gay relationships. First, I say extreme interest because I don't even know how to begin categorizing the mental response: is it titillation, some form of sexual arousal, or just a voracious appetite for the subject matter and nothing more?

Aren't those all the same thing? They're definitely getting aroused by it.

Secondly, is "Rotten Girls" the generally accepted name for women who would fall into this categorization?

Well that is a direct translation of fujoshi, but most people just use fujoshi.

Finally, if the response isn't sexual in nature then how are the extreme version of a female caricature depicted by having nose bleeds such as their male counterparts who do, in fact, have nose bleeds because of implied sexual responses. I mean why use such a known archetype like nosebleeds which already have a heavy connotation rather than using something different and equally unique.

It's definitely a sexual response, but interesting nonetheless because nose bleeds are supposed to represent blood rushing to a certain place (IE boners). That obviously doesn't work with females, but the people making this stuff use it on them anyway.

cajunator

Banned
First, I'd like to apologize for making Anime-GAF the dumping ground for my strangest questions.

That said...

I have a strange question: I've gathered from general interaction with males and the anime community for about 20 years now that guys probably find lesbian relationships titillating an the reason may perhaps be the slight notion that they can imagine themselves some how being apart of any sexual activities the lesbian coupe may have. This of course is antithetical to the idea of lesbianism. The question is the largely female-dominated side of otaku-dom whom have an extreme-interest gay relationships. First, I say extreme interest because I don't even know how to begin categorizing the mental response: is it titillation, some form of sexual arousal, or just a voracious appetite for the subject matter and nothing more? Secondly, is "Rotten Girls" the generally accepted name for women who would fall into this categorization? Finally, if the response isn't sexual in nature then how are the extreme version of a female caricature depicted by having nose bleeds such as their male counterparts who do, in fact, have nose bleeds because of implied sexual responses. I mean why use such a known archetype like nosebleeds which already have a heavy connotation rather than using something different and equally unique. I like how Green Green handles the subject of titillation with the explicit actions of the male side-leads who could only get it up while eating a hot bowl of rice while sniffing used female underwear. There's no mistaking what he's imagining.

Nah. I dont care about sex. I do like to see yuri scenes though. Its just nice to watch.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yuri (and, I'm sure, yaoi) is definitely about self-insertion to some males, but I can't speak to how much less common this is than a more straightforward "lesbianism is hot" attitude.

I don't think males generally have a self insertion mindset when it comes to Yuri
for obvious reasons.

But it's certainly something that has toned down over the past couple of months.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Sometimes a subject matter tickles the brain, sometimes strongly enough to be arousing in itself.

This probably isn't too far off from the normal response to body shapes and curves, which can induce arousal without context or without any notion of being in the picture, but maybe a few wires are crossed along the way.

Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi 8
Seriously this guy is cheaply overpowered. Blown to smithereens with his body parts all over the room.Comes back perfectly unharmed within seconds. Seriously, that's like jumping from Yamcha to Super Saiyen 2 Goku. Then, training montage. Well Saitohimea was cute at least.

hipbabboom

Yuri (and, I'm sure, yaoi) is definitely about self-insertion to some males, but I can't speak to how much less common this is than a more straightforward "lesbianism is hot" attitude.

This is probably closer to the idea I was trying to initially convey. You can see this outside of anime in general pop culture. Heterosexual males are often aroused by the idea of "two women making out" regardless if they're lesbians or not.

Once I step outside of that frame of reference however, I have absolutely no real tools to navigate what the motivation of other genders and sexuality's perspective on the matter might be. I figure there's enough of every type of person in this thread to gain some form of perspective on the matter.

If the topic is solely on yaoi /yuri I'd say, with no hard statistical data, that most people like it due to their own sexual preference and due to finding the characters attractive without having to self insert yourself (assuming you are a straight person watching the opposite sex get it on). This is the same as to why an attraction to lesbians in males exists. To put it bluntly, they want to see two hot chicks doing stuff.

As to same sex looking at same sex, it's either curiosity due to hormonal activity in the teen years, or the more obvious reason.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Going from one woman to two women can fall into "if some is good, more is better". A heterosexual male seeing lesbians together also isn't threatened because there's no other heterosexual male to compete with or to challenge his own heterosexuality. The fact that the viewer wouldn't actually be welcome in the picture at all is easily glossed over.

hipbabboom

Sometimes a subject matter tickles the brain, sometimes strongly enough to be arousing in itself.

This probably isn't too far off from the normal response to body shapes and curves, which can induce arousal without context or without any notion of being in the picture, but maybe a few wires are crossed along the way.

Can this analogy from a place far away from anime apply? Some gear-heads literally get a woody from hearing a muscle car rev a 900 HP engine.

A closer analogy would be guys so obsessed with body building that they become erect from staring at their own muscles in the mirror.

Both of the above are actually real life behaviors. So is it like sexual arousal is more of a response to their heightened state of excitement rather than the visuals being sexual in nature?

Just a fair warning, this topic is getting too hot to the point of melting the polar ice caps near Alaska. Don't drown me please.

Sometimes we just have fun with same-sex stuff. But that depends on who you're talking to.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Both of the above are actually real life behaviors. So is it like sexual arousal is more of a response to their heightened state of excitement rather than the visuals being sexual in nature?
Could be. I'd be wary of generalizing too strongly, though, as while you do see things like that, sometimes you also do see situations like where a woman will orgasm when she brushes her own teeth through no particular enthusiasm in the act itself. As I recall, she actually wasn't happy about it.

hipbabboom

Could be. I'd be wary of generalizing too strongly, though, as while you do see things like that, sometimes you also do see situations like where a woman will orgasm when she brushes her own teeth through no particular enthusiasm in the act itself. As I recall, she actually wasn't happy about it.

Warning noted. I'm aware that there isn't any one reason. At the very least, there's many gender and sexuality identifications and this would be some permutation of those. The distinction you made about teeth brushing really turns the whole thing on its head!

I'll leave it at this since this does seem to be taking on a life of its own and is a much bigger question than I assumed it to be initially but at least now, thanks to the thread, I have a some-what more informed idea of what the possible motivations of that female hiding behind the bushes hoping to male characters would get it on.

Interestingly enough, I began really thinking about this after I posted a response in the HxH thread a few weeks back poking fun at another poster that everything thing about two male leads didn't have to be romantic. I begin to wonder why they would conclude that and had no real reason to say it wasn't about that since we all enhance what we enjoy watching with our own imaginations. Their interpretation of the going-ons is just as valid as my own. Even if the hands of god [read: the Author] came down and wrote this is how it is, the reader/viewer's interpretation isn't necessarily invalidated.

Warning noted. I'm aware that there isn't any one reason. At the very least, there's many gender and sexuality identifications and this would be some permutation of those. The distinction you made about teeth brushing really turns the whole thing on its head!

I'll leave it at this since this does seem to be taking on a life of its own and is a much bigger question than I assumed it to be initially but at least now, thanks to the thread, I have a some-what more informed idea of what the possible motivations of that female hiding behind the bushes hoping to male characters would get it on.

Interestingly enough, I began really thinking about this after I posted a response in the HxH thread a few weeks back poking fun at another poster that everything thing about two male leads didn't have to be romantic. I begin to wonder why they would conclude that and had no real reason to say it wasn't about that since we all enhance what we enjoy watching with our own imaginations. Their interpretation of the going-ons is just as valid as my own. Even if the hands of god [read: the Author] came down and wrote this is how it is, the reader/viewer's interpretation isn't necessarily invalidated.

I'm assuming that user was poking at DTL.

Ookiku Furikabutte - The Summer Tournament Chapter 06

A transition episode. A lot more on the supporting characters than the team themselves but pretty interesting how we are already moving into their fourth game.

hipbabboom

But more importantly, what about Shota?

I have a confession to make... :(

In my defense, it may simply be an older women fetish as I remember having a crush on all my female teachers since second grade. I didn't really start becoming attracted to girls my age until 8th grade. Even now, I still find mature women attractive though I can justify it on an intellectual level. That said, the extreme form such as those who literally rob the cradle is deeply disturbing to me but I will be lying if I said the idea of an adult woman swooping down like an eagle and carrying away an adolescent male is entertaining to me mainly because of the way the situations are written. The back-and-forth of the female's desire to be chased but having to lead as the adult in the relationship and the ineptness of the young male not knowing what to do with her or himself in the most basic situations is comedy gold in my book :)

If anyone is interested, a good manga for this is called: Toshiue no Hito

hipbabboom

Ookiku Furikabutte - The Summer Tournament Chapter 06

A transition episode. A lot more on the supporting characters than the team themselves but pretty interesting how we are already moving into their fourth game.

On my short list of animes that need another season done in the vain of the first season. Others include:
  • Natsume Yujincho
  • Hidamari Sketch
  • K-On
  • Ichigo Mashimaro

Hey guys what's-

So Tuesday Anime GAF is the new Weekend Anime GAF?

Sorry :(

Yaoi goggles are a powerful, powerful thing.

As long as we're putting up questions we have on anime and its culture I have one that my friends and I have been wondering for quite some time.

Do the japanese have special organs and/or bioupgrades that allow them to:

-cry steady streams of tears
-make their eyes palpitate and/or their eyes dilate when in fear
- cause their groans to stutter when they are in shock (uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uhhuh)

The world needs to know. Or is my animu lying to me?

Gazoinks

Yamato 2199 09

Yamato tackling the obligatory sci-fi stuff on AI and the nature of humanity. Very nicely done. I liked all the classic sci-fi references.

I feel like when this show aims for an emotional tone it kind of verges on the edge of being a bit contrived or cheesy
like the Yukikaze stuff in that earlier episode and the framing story here
, but it hasn't fallen over that edge, so right now it works finely.

I've enjoyed the smaller-scale episodes focusing on the crew more than the epic fighty episodes so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom