• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
As long as we're putting up questions we have on anime and its culture I have one that my friends and I have been wondering for quite some time.

Do the japanese have special organs and/or bioupgrades that allow them to:

-cry steady streams of tears
-make their eyes palpitate and/or their eyes dilate when in fear
- cause their groans to stutter when they are in shock (uh-uh-uh-uh-uh-uhhuh)

The world needs to know. Or is my animu lying to me?

Some Japanese have surgery to make their lips pucker out and the edges curl up like ducks because of "cute."

I can confirm that the eyes palpitation is a normal human condition evidenced by Tom and Jerry cartoons.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's definitely a sexual response, but interesting nonetheless because nose bleeds are supposed to represent blood rushing to a certain place (IE boners). That obviously doesn't work with females, but the people making this stuff use it on them anyway.
Um, blood flow increases on the female body too, just not with something that manifests itself so obviously.

Gazoinks

Yamato 2199

Great episode.
Looks like the war is not black-and-white as it seeeems. Ooh intriiigue. I was hoping what'sherface would end up as a crew member, and here she is!

Akira currently holding best girl spot.

by the way I caught up with Golden Time and wow its getting so good.
Koko is the most adorable psychopath.

I kind of want it to turn into a horror series where Koko snaps and murders Chinami or something. This ties in with my theory about Linda being a time-traveling assassin also.

cajunator

Banned
Yamato 2199

Great episode.
Looks like the war is not black-and-white as it seeeems. Ooh intriiigue. I was hoping what'sherface would end up as a crew member, and here she is!

Akira currently holding best girl spot.

I kind of want it to turn into a horror series where Koko snaps and murders Chinami or something. This ties in with my theory about Linda being a time-traveling assassin also.

Holy shit those two do NOT get along!

Hattori

Banned
Non Non Biyori 6
This show continues to hit the spot for me, Komari was very adorable in this episode. She's definitely closing in on Ren-chon :)

Hattori

Banned
Evangelion 1
I'm probably the last person to watch this so I'm going to keep it brief. My first impression of the show is that it's very well animated, the setting is quite mysterious yet interesting.
I've definitely noticed some religious themes here and there i.e. Misato's clothing, her cross, the st. peter's cross explosion, the whole "father sending his son to save everyone" theme. There's probably more that I didn't catch. The NERV secret base reminded me of the underground Atlantis in Nadia :)
It's definitely an interesting show for sure. Oh and I like Misato, she's pretty cool.

Watching Tamako Market now. Did they copy the start of the ED animation of Clannad After Story and reuse it in the OP in this or is it just me?

Is there any good sites for figuring out what special features is included in UK releases of anime? Bought some stuff that seems to have less special features than the US releases.

Reknoc

Watching Tamako Market now. Did they copy the start of the ED animation of Clannad After Story and reuse it in the OP in this or is it just me?

Is there any good sites for figuring out what special features is included in UK releases of anime? Bought some stuff that seems to have less special features than the US releases.

universal guide for features in a uk release:
clean OP/ED

if its a manga ent title:
that trailer they've had since the VHS days

Shergal

I think back when Tamako started I specifically checked this and thought it wasn't 100% reused, but honestly I can't be arsed to check again so don't take my word for it.

But yes, they essentially copied that part.

universal guide for features in a uk release:
clean OP/ED

if its a manga ent title:
that trailer they've had since the VHS days

Haha. I see. The K-On DVDs seem to have the same, although not a lot of, special features though. I have started to buy some US releases after buying the UK ones because of missing special features for other titles.

I think back when Tamako started I specifically checked this and thought it wasn't 100% reused, but honestly I can't be arsed to check again so don't take my word for it.

But yes, they essentially copied that part.

Ok. Just thought it was a bit weird.

I think I'm the only gay dude that likes both Bara and Yaoi.

Am I really an alien?

Only good bara was that one story about psp kissing ps3 for power, and other console war issues, and and a few other stories. Its alright but the adults tend to look way less hotter and attractive to me than their counterparts in yaoi...too chunky.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Kuttsukiboshi 1-2 END

RYXLvEy.jpg

I'm tempted to say this percolated more than boiled, though. It's nowhere near as special as BRS.

It DID deliver on the yuri, though.

I thought last year s2 was announced two or so weeks before it started.
Yeah but we're just in the first part of S3 , so it's too early to know what will happen. they could be in the planning stages for an S4 ATM , but they won't say much ( as usual ) untill we reach at least ep 18 or 20 of this one.
SO right now it's better to assume that nothing will happen.

Why do I have a feeling the owner is a guy...
Too much pink , it's obvious it's a girl doing the decorations.

Hey guys what's-

So Tuesday Anime GAF is the new Weekend Anime GAF?
Proof enough that everything moved smoothly once hunter x hunter changed it's airing slot.

Log Horizon Episode 6

Sadly for me of the six episodes Ive seen only one hasnt managed to make me doze off. I think its just better done in the written medium than as an anime as its too detail heavy and lacks much of anything interesting. I wouldnt have minded letting the character designs be left to imagination either if it was done as a book as so far there is barely anyone present that deserves much attention or care. Well theres the one guy thats stuck as a secondary role as the guild that theyve been visiting for awhile now and the other dude thats stuck in Hamlin, but thats it. Will at least keep watching to see how things play out.

Debauchery Tea Party >
Log Horizon

Shergal

On rewatching A Letter to Momo, I couldn't get into it at all.

There is a bothersome disconnect between how... erm... slow, methodical, Okiura's entire approach to animation is, and the material the film is tackling. At the start you have these quiet, subtle scenes with realistic layout and restrained acting, and then these quirky monsters start appearing, and gags along with them. And cute antics. And the dialogues get progressively less believable (and more sappy) as the film progresses. All the while every single movement is animated with the weight of a truck and uncanny detail.
The script is decent if light, but at the end it feels like the film isn't willing to commit fully to realism the way Jin-Roh did, but doesn't quite manage the spark that is needed for such a straightforward story and simple characters to be compelling. Okiura is really not that kind of guy. And he couldn't get young children right to save his life :p
YCMubeX.jpg

This sticks out to me because of the extreme realism applied in the animation. An 11yo girl making faces doesn't look like that to me. That really looks more like an old lady in a small body. They don't have this problem with adults, or with most of Momo's expressions (although at times she does look older than she is), but here the limits of the design becomes apparent.

sonicmj1

On rewatching A Letter to Momo, I couldn't get into it at all.

There is a bothersome disconnect between how... erm... slow, methodical, Okiura's entire approach to animation is, and the material the film is tackling. At the start you have these quiet, subtle scenes with realistic layout and restrained acting, and then these quirky monsters start appearing, and gags along with them. And cute antics. And the dialogues get progressively less believable (and more sappy) as the film progresses. All the while every single movement is animated with the weight of a truck and uncanny detail.
The script is decent if light, but at the end it feels like the film isn't willing to commit fully to realism the way Jin-Roh did, but doesn't quite manage the spark that is needed for such a straightforward story and simple characters to be compelling. Okiura is really not that kind of guy. And he couldn't get young children right to save his life :p

I don't think I'll be able to forgive this movie for being put up for consideration for Best Animated Picture instead of Wolf Children.

Shergal

So in his quest for realism, Okiura ended up being unrealistic.

I actually can't really get into Okiura's own animation either. At times when watching scenes he animated I wonder why someone would spend so much effort drawing these things when the effect changes little, and at times for worse.
People like Toshiyuki Inoue or Tetsuya Nishio do it faster and rougher, and still manage to impart the same amount of believability and weight into the animation.

There's one cut by Okiura I'll always love though. It's the ending of Jin-Roh, which is compelling on all fronts, but especially dat animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom