• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Thought this was supposed to be an anime only focused on Utena and Anrhy massive obsession for her so
what a wonderful surprise it was to have Touga appear with his whole shirt unbuttoned waiting in the room for Miki to come to the piano and he to express just how cute he was. If its going to keep this route, then the next episodes must definitely be phenomenal.

Oh just wait. JUST WAIT.

Best song in the episode and decent advances all around
Kind of cheap way to win and lose though, how can you make your opponent lose focus right at the point of contact, as well cheer the opponent on then at the end give them well wishes, why cheer in the first place

Hee hee.

Is every episode like this?:

1. School stuff and plot talk

2. FABULOUS TRANSFORMATION

3. EXPELLED FROM STAR DRIVER CLASS!

I can deal with that.

Every episode is exactly the same, except almost all of them are worse. Also none of the characters ever get any development, and they add even more new characters who also get no development.

The music is really the only good part.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Kyoukai no Kanata 07:

Oh, we're done with filler idol bullshit? Good to see.

Or at least, if this is filler-shit, it's more in line with what the first four episodes were. This pleases me.

Galilei donna - 02

Much better episode

Galilei%20Donna%20-%2002.jpg

Step out of your shell and become an hero !

Ahem the character above is a classic character IMO , if she doesn't betray the cast next episode or during the finale , then something will be wrong .

i liked middle black sister ( sorry i haven't the names right yet ) doing that scene in the escape. The trio seems properly made now that they are free from their parent influence , even if it seems that something unfortunate happenned.

As of now this show is gonna pass my 3 ep rule with great score...

Off to see episode 3 !

Every episode is exactly the same, except almost all of them are worse. Also none of the characters ever get any development, and they add even more new characters who also get no development.

The music is really the only good part.

Damn, no character development at all? But it was by the same fucking writer as Utena. :(

What a letdown.

Galilei donna - 03

So black haired middle girl is kazuki , while the big sister is hazuki , and the little one is hozuki ..

Were the 2 parents in a lack of inspiration or something ?

Anyway , kazuki is freaking out , mostly because her life ( that didn't seem that great from ep 1 ) is drifting fruther away

We also learn that the bad guy are bad guys but posing as bad guys , i have to admit , the interpol move was quite nice.

Pirate guy look FABULOUS , and he was doing something this ep, i guess that's a good thing i can write about him.

Hozuki si trully a little genius , with a few more stepw , she would like , ironman or something ?

Kazuki , can you ditch the damn phone ?? even your father knew this was a stupid idea to keep it ! i mean you're on the run now.damn it , keeping the phone so she can look at the guy she wasn't even able to confess her feeligns and she probably wouldn't able to since she is a fugitive now. Get YOUR FACTS right , girl !

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think they're "working on one" but Crunchyrolls incompetence knows no bounds so who knows how long that'll take.

I'm sure it's "coming soon", just like the Hulu Vita app, Crackle Vita app, Neon Alley Vita app, etc.

Sucks because Netflix's anime selection is godawful beyond their entry-level classic staples.

jgminto

Galilei donna - 03

Kazuki , can you ditch the damn phone ?? even your father knew this was a stupid idea to keep it ! i mean you're on the run now.damn it , keeping the phone so she can look at the guy she wasn't even able to confess her feeligns and she probably wouldn't able to since she is a fugitive now. Get YOUR FACTS right , girl !

She's the main reason I dropped the show. So bad.

Galilei donna - 04

In this episode , kazuki learns that being a selfish girl is a bad idea , we also learn that she is aware that she is being a jerk but can't help it .
Thankfully , the change of attitude will be worthwhile.

Also air pirates are stupid and somehow selfish...at least pirate guy seems to have some values.

Assault mode is cool

Bombless

Galilei donna - 04

In this episode , kazuki learns that being a selfish girl is a bad idea , we also learn that she is aware that she is being a jerk but can't help it .
Thankfully , the change of attitude will be worthwhile.

Also air pirates are stupid and somehow selfish...at least pirate guy seems to have some values.

Assault mode is cool

Looking forward to hear from you next episode.

Branduil

Damn, no character development at all? But it was by the same fucking writer as Utena. :(

What a letdown.

The biggest flaw of the show is that(plot structure spoilers)
the setup demands that Takuto can never lose, eliminating all the tension of the battle scenes.

CorvoSol

Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 5
tumblr_mwc745zVkX1qbxqfpo1_250.png

Thought this was supposed to be an anime only focused on Utena and Anthy massive obsession for her so
what a wonderful surprise it was to have Touga appear with his whole shirt unbuttoned waiting in the room for Miki to come to the piano and he to express just how cute he was. If its going to keep this route, then the next episodes must definitely be phenomenal.

Best song in the episode and decent advances all around
Kind of cheap way to win and lose though, how can you make your opponent lose focus right at the point of contact, as well cheer the opponent on then at the end give them well wishes, why cheer in the first place

Touga is a main character. You'll be seeing a lot of him.

Gazoinks

Yamato 2199 16

Great episode! As I said before, I like this show more when it's in character mode than when it's in fight mode, and the interactions and conflicts in this episode were great. CG was a bit gross in this one though.

Squinty Security Dude laying down the obvious plot twists like a pro.
I'm not sure Yuki being an Iscandarian really counts as a twist though, since it was pretty obvious from the second episode.

Akira still best.

Kyousougiga - 4/5

Well, I guess that's apparently the end of all the ONA material. That was a fairly long prologue, but it seems like there'll be enough payoff for it in the second half of the series. I hope.

The only problem I have with this series is that I feel like I'm expected to like it a whole lot more than I already do. I know AnimeGAF isn't a hivemind, but I still get a very strong impression that I'm supposed to think this is, by far, the best series this season, and if I don't, then clearly I have absolutely garbage taste. I'd rank it at number two, behind Samurai Flamenco. Make of that what you will.

I'm actually frustrated that I don't like it more than I already do, because it looks very much like the sort of thing I'd normally be all over. The character designs are great and unique, I love the cast, the music is alright, the OP and ED themes are both great, the setting is extremely interesting, and the characters are quirky, but there just seems to be something missing, and I can't exactly figure out what it is. Maybe it's not missing anything; maybe it's just me.

It's like I can appreciate the craft behind the series so far, but outside of the first and third episodes (I still haven't seen episode 0; I really should rectify that), the series hasn't really grabbed me all that much. Episode 4 was particularly boring. Again, I really do hope the second half of this will be great, and I'm going to be really disappointed if it disappoints me.

Man just got back from testing my friend's PS4. As a guy who owned a PS1, then went on to Xbox and stayed there due to my big hands....

The DS4 feels amazing. No joke, I would stand my ground that the 360's remote is still amazing too in terms of ergonomics. But wow dat PS4 controller fits perfectly into my hands, and the joysticks are so small compared to the DS3 it's great.

Now unto animu talk.

A friend of mine highly recommends Another. Is it any good? It doesn't have to be amazing but as long as it's enjoyable enough.

Kyousougiga - 4/5

The only problem I have with this series is that I feel like I'm expected to like it a whole lot more than I already do. I know AnimeGAF isn't a hivemind, but I still get a very strong impression that I'm supposed to think this is, by far, the best series this season, and if I don't, then clearly I have absolutely garbage taste. I'd rank it at number two, behind Samurai Flamenco. Make of that what you will.

Well, at present Yozakura Quartet is my favorite series of the season, with Kyousougiga behind, so don't sweat it. Everyone has their own opinions!

It's like I can appreciate the craft behind the series so far, but outside of the first and third episodes (I still haven't seen episode 0; I really should rectify that), the series hasn't really grabbed me all that much. Episode 4 was particularly boring. Again, I really do hope the second half of this will be great, and I'm going to be really disappointed if it disappoints me.

I wouldn't recommend watching episode 0; material from it is being reused in the TV series, and it's not very good as its own thing.

The flaw is that it never does anything with the repetition, not the repetition itself.

I think the sheer level of repetition they had was a pretty big flaw on its own. However, they could have at least salvaged some of that by playing with the repetition and trying to make it a feature instead of a failure. But they don't do anything remotely interesting within that framework.

Galilei donna - 05

This show is legit good.

here i said it , after 5 episodes i'm liking this show.

Poor characters , the death flags were there , but i never realised ...... i mean there is no way they survived right ?

Ahem , what to say except .... "i liked this episode."
Galilei%20Donna%20-%2005.jpg

Convincing argument 2.0

Now having enjoyed this episode i realise that the sister action and attitudes are trully flawed..i mean hazuki , in the middle of a base of a "resistance" group is still , despite having seen how horrible the bad guys are , she is still arguing about taking some sortof legal action or complaining ... i hope that with this episode events , she will realise how foolish this is.

Because yes it's foolish , yes it's flawed , but all the 3 sisters have similar problems ( previous episode that was kazuki that was acting stupid ).. it seems that the entire character balance between the sisters is build upon that flawed side of them because the 2 other sisters will either let it run because it's not harmfull or try to reduce the effect on everyone behaviour.

This episode raised another question : the fuel... how are they doing it ? they can't resupply in peace ! i hope this sub plot will be explored later .

At this point i'm not even going to argue on the goldfish pendant , it's "forshadowing for noobs " at this point.

But the real deal with this episode was the friendship hozuki created with 2 character of her age ..i was honnestly expecting a jealousy or something , but this was kept fairly level headed ... the part she hozuki made the guy visit the ship with the ai making comments was a nice touch , making the mood less heavy , again a great touch ........i honnestly loved all the scenes. The end in the station was also well done.
Unfortunatly when you have pirates, resistance groups, shadow organisations and a war of energy fuel , the world is not a nice place.i don't understand the guy ...If you knew what you were up against , why did you do such a great steal in the first place ?That guy was an incompetent ..if you're going and do great heist , assume the consequences , don't flee like a jerk and say " i can't do this anymore" what is that ???
What is the point ? Aren't you trying to survive ? isn't the only one in power an *sshole?

"i don't have options"

WHAT THE HELL

Branduil

I think the sheer level of repetition they had was a pretty big flaw on its own. However, they could have at least salvaged some of that by playing with the repetition and trying to make it a feature instead of a failure. But they don't do anything remotely interesting within that framework.

The problem is that the repetition is inherently flawed because they wrote themselves into a corner with the setup. They can't do anything interesting with the repetition because the plot precludes it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
maybe they said assfuck or something

At least in the US, it's standard practice to bleep out "hole", no joke. Referring to the general buttocks area is totally fine, but the anus specifically is OVER THE LINE.

Tayutama 1-2
Interesting show. It seems tropey. I do like Mashiro designs and her attitude has been okay so far. I'll continue to watch

CorvoSol

SDFM 6

Hey, let me take my giant robot battleship's arm and uh, you know, shove it into your warship's face. And as an added bonus,
MY HAND IS FULL OF SMALLER ROBOTS WHO WILL PUMP YOU FULL OF MISSILES.

On that note, how creepy is it that a public park has a robotic camera just creeping in the bushes late at night, waiting to take your picture? Super freaking creepy.

Scene with the fountains was still cute, though. In spite of the constant technical and strategic failures of the Macross crew, there's a really positive atmosphere to this show, compared to Gundam where people in a similar situation are constantly miserable. Possibly because unlike the crew of the Macross, the crew of the White Base had almost no training or organization, and had to make that stuff up as they went along.

Gazoinks

Yamato 2199 17

This close to being a manly tears episode.
I'm sort of simultaneously happy and disappointed Sanada didn't die.

So it turns out there is more to Yuki's situation, so that's good. She's obviously somehow connected to Yurisha considering SHE LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME. But we shall see.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
wonzo probably thought that astrogamer meant Tamayura. There are no Tayutama OVAs apart from DVD special shorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom