• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Legend of Korra s2 finale -END-

What the fuck was that?

Is there supposed to be an episode 13?

Holy shit this is as bad of a cliffhanger as Halo 2's or the Matrix Reloaded.

As to the episode itself: the first part with Nuktuk kicking some nuktuk ass was nuktukity. Beautiful. Then it went downhill a bit when they tried to introduce the romance drama again. I'm serious these new writers can't write romance and they insist on doing so

edit: nevermind there's supposed to be more episodes coming.

Jintor

Is there supposed to be an episode 13?

Holy shit this is as bad of a cliffhanger as Halo 2's or the Matrix Reloaded.

As to the episode itself: the first part with Nuktuk kicking some nuktuk ass was nuktukity. Beautiful. Then it went downhill a bit when they tried to introduce the romance drama again. I'm serious these new writers can't write romance and they insist on doing so

edit: nevermind there's supposed to be more episodes coming.

No dude the finale's out on nick.com right now

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 6

This episode has two great scenes in it. The first is Amuro, finally launching in the Gundam, going berserk on the dudes out there. The whole scene is half Gundam ripping Zakus in two and half really crazy shots of Amuro freaking out. I forgot how early on in the show this scene happens, but it probably is the one that first let me know how awesome Gundam is. There's something really raw about the combat of the first show. The weapons are simpler, and so close range combat is a lot more up close and personal, and things get crazy brutal because of it. I mean this has to be the ONLY Gundam show where the head mounted vulcan cannons are useful and indeed threatening.

The other scene is Char Aznable taking a shower. Really that's all I need to say on that one.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Yeah, I was just going to say. lol

Oh yeah, madp, Regina being back. Yay or nay?

There's no unshitting that bed, so get ready for ten episodes of truly awful endgame with Mana being Cure Christ as she beatifically makes effort after selfless effort to save Regina from her sins. Expect to hear the phrases "torimodose", "ai no chikara", "todokeru", "mamoru", and "minna no egao" frequently.

Ideally, the final episode ends with King Jikochu killing everyone only for Sailor Moon to appear and kill him with her weakest attack.

There's no unshitting that bed, so get ready for ten episodes of truly awful endgame with Mana being Cure Christ as she beatifically makes effort after selfless effort to save Regina from her sins. Expect to hear the phrases "torimodose", "ai no chikara", "todokeru", "mamoru", and "minna no egao" frequently.

Ideally, the final episode ends with King Jikochu killing everyone only for Sailor Moon to appear and kill him with her weakest attack.

And there you have it firehawk.

Probably going to add that they won't go to the fullest extent for Regina to play her part as a deadly sin (Lust, yo).

Geneijin

SVWC-7965.jpg

Finally ;__;

CorvoSol

Bakemonogatari 3

Show is beautiful and people say way too much way too fast. Dude, go with the apron thing. That kid in High School of the Dead did that and it worked out perfectly. Dude, the apron, dude. Aren't these kids like, sixteen, though? Is it really being a late-bloomer if you're still a virgin when you're sixteen? Nevermind, I don't want this discussion at this time of night. Been too long a day for that.

Holy crap there's a female equivalent of Levirate Marriage? Why has no one told me this? This sounds too good to be true!

And then we beat the snot out of a grade school kid. Pokemon Law in this town, kiddo, pay up.

Gazoinks

Yamato 2199 18

Awesome battle this time around, especially that finale. That finale!

I actually kind of wish they wouldn't keep threatening to kill people and then save them in the nick of time. Commit!

I'm kind of expecting the Iscandarians to be evil or manipulating the Humans somehow.

No dude the finale's out on nick.com right now

Just finished 13 and 14. Man that shit got intense there for a second there but I can fully say that my comparison with the Matrix wasn't too far off. This went full retard. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it was still entertaining. Bolin is still the best aspect of this show.

SVWC-7965.jpg

Finally ;__;

For some inexplicable reason I love this image. Can't quite put my finger on it

Mature

The Hakkenden - 1
1WwtCiX.png

The Hakkenden is a 1990 OVA adapted from the 19th century samurai epic of the same name. The story begins by depicting the hardships of the Awa (region) based Satomi-Clan. The Satomi clan, starved and near their end, asks the aid of a neighboring clan, the Aizen, for help. Instead, Lord Kagetsura of the Aizen sent 2,000 troops to attack the Satomi. Ten days later, beaten and still starving, the Satomi are near their end. Leader of the Satomi, Yoshizane deliriously requests the aid of his dog to bring him Kagetsura's head in exchange for his daughters hand in marriage. The dog, astonishingly, does just that. Yoshizane, wanting to do good on his word, marries his daughter Fuse to the dog, where they then depart into the forest.

So, the first thing I've noticed about The Hakkenden is it's constant and lax free form style of animation. That is to say, it uses various styles of animation in any given scene. At times the characters can move as cartoony as an old black and white Walt Disney film, and at others the characters retain the posture of your more stringent sengoku-era style anime. In certain scenes, you could easily mistake it for Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen. While this scattered style breathes character into the veneer of the show, it doesn't do the narrative any favors. I'd compare the jarring steps in animation to a modern hand-drawn to CG switch— though perhaps a bit less dramatic, and in this case they both look great separately. Notably, the kinect nature of the camera work during action scenes is of note. Battles with multiple characters on screen are exciting, and feel like they mirror any real life sword fight.

I'm not especially great at making gifs, but this should give a good idea of the rambunctious action at work:
iiJXL9jgHIZLg.gif

The water animation during the fight gives it a lot of flourish.

As far first episodes go, this one maybe could have been a bit more straightforward. I get the feeling that someone who might have even a basic understanding of the source material wouldn't have as hard of a time following the events as I did. Purportedly, this version sought to "modernize" the tale a bit. Running concurrently to the events of the Satomi clan were flashes of the eight warriors fighting something that appeared to be supernatural (pictured in the gif above). Whether this is new to the tale or adds a bit of spice, it worked for the anime. The parallel— possibly future— events happening gave me a feeling of foreshadowing akin to the first episode of Gungrave. Though I hope to see that those events are as promising as the ones leading up to them, unlike Gungrave.

Eroge! Hentai mo Game mo Kaihatsu Zanmai is apparently getting a fourth episode.

No the loli or the brown hair girl (who I recently discovered will not get focus.

lol.

Some movie spoilers that I find utterly hilarious for Doki Doki Precure

Apparently the wedding thing was all a dream created by the villain to keep Mana in a coma for good, so in order for her to wake up, she needs to realize that her heterosexual relationship is the wrong. Holy shit, I'm not dreaming.

that and I can't look at the whole reunion with Regina the same way. Mainly with Mana forcing herself on Regina and she keeps saying no. While Mana is smiling....

Articalys

I wish that the audiences here in the U.S. weren't guaranteed to be as annoying as possible, otherwise I'd totally go to a local Madoka showing.

Speaking of Madoka Magica The Rebellion Story, though, domestic sales for the movie are up to about 1,391,000,000 yen. If it can keep up the pace, it should have no problem shattering the 2 billion yen mark.

cajunator

Banned
YuuShibu 7

"So the plan is, Fino, let the slime tentacles swarm all over you for as long as you possibly can." Uh-huh, this is YuuShibu all right.

Amada is evil. Leon is GREAT JUSTICE. Justice will always prevail.

Fino loves to be nearly/all naked and Yuusibu loves tentacles in general. Par for the course I guess.

My PS3 is just under a year old (I bought it on Black Friday last year). But even if it wasn't, I'd probably still wait a while for a PS4, just because I'm not interested in any of the launch titles. I'm not waiting as long as I did to get a current-gen console as I did last gen (didn't get a 360 until 2009; I just wasn't that into gaming when I was in high school), but it'll be a year at minimum.

Also, Hellsing and DTL specifically mentioned they bought PS4s.

Atlus is making an announcement. It might be about Persona. The teaser site is pretty weird; it's an ultrasound image.

Same here. Im kinda waiting for new stuff to come out.

Nichijou was licensed by Bandai Ent., so it could be that the license is not up for a license rescue yet. Same could possibly be said for Gosick.

Nichijou was never licensed except in Australia (along with Dennou Coil) A fact that angers me greatly.

I wish that the audiences here in the U.S. weren't guaranteed to be as annoying as possible, otherwise I'd totally go to a local Madoka showing.

Speaking of Madoka Magica The Rebellion Story, though, domestic sales for the movie are up to about 1,391,000,000 yen. If it can keep up the pace, it should have no problem shattering the 2 billion yen mark.

The showings near me are in Alamo Drafthouses. In those you HAVE to keep quiet or get kicked out.

duckroll

There's an unconfirmed rumor out now that Jojo Pt3 will air in Spring 2014, and that they're doing their own casting for it independent of the Jojo All-Stars game, so the VA will be different and it'll be announced at Jump Festa in Dec. This should be a leak of Ultra Jump, so if it's true we should see a scan floating around in a day or two.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
There's an unconfirmed rumor out now that Jojo Pt3 will air in Spring 2014, and that they're doing their own casting for it independent of the Jojo All-Stars game, so the VA will be different and it'll be announced at Jump Festa in Dec. This should be a leak of Ultra Jump, so if it's true we should see a scan floating around in a day or two.

different VAs? Interesting...

Bakemonogatari 3

Show is beautiful and people say way too much way too fast. Dude, go with the apron thing. That kid in High School of the Dead did that and it worked out perfectly. Dude, the apron, dude. Aren't these kids like, sixteen, though? Is it really being a late-bloomer if you're still a virgin when you're sixteen? Nevermind, I don't want this discussion at this time of night. Been too long a day for that.

Holy crap there's a female equivalent of Levirate Marriage? Why has no one told me this? This sounds too good to be true!

And then we beat the snot out of a grade school kid. Pokemon Law in this town, kiddo, pay up.

They're actually 17, almost 18 (Araragi is 18 where the series currently is, IIRC). They're seniors in high school.

jgminto

That's a little disappointing. I thought all the VO in ASB was fantastic. Honestly Sugita's performance as old Joseph was probably the worst in the game.

This is kinda disappointing. They're still gonna keep Koyasu as Dio, right? I mean, it would be really weird if they didn't.

fertygo

Nooo don't change Ono D as Jotaro at least :(

I'll approve if they can get Fukujun for Kakyoin though.
This is kinda disappointing. They're still gonna keep Koyasu as Dio, right? I mean, it would be really weird if they didn't.

I think that's the one we shouldn't worry about.

duckroll

Here's the 6 minute "prologue" for Kaguyahime that they started giving out on BD/DVD today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KOKvYDLArg

Spoiler Warning: In spite of what the title implies, it seems more like a super spoiler-filled 6 minute trailer for the entire movie with the full theme song playing, rather than the first 6 minutes of the actual film.

duckroll

When I saw this scene in the Kaguyahime preview, I was reminded of this post:

On rewatching A Letter to Momo, I couldn't get into it at all.

YCMubeX.jpg

This sticks out to me because of the extreme realism applied in the animation. An 11yo girl making faces doesn't look like that to me. That really looks more like an old lady in a small body. They don't have this problem with adults, or with most of Momo's expressions (although at times she does look older than she is), but here the limits of the design becomes apparent.

cajunator

Banned
Yuushibu 07

Just throw everyone into the slime.

The show does a pretty good job of that already.

SVWC-7965.jpg

Finally ;__;

How did you get that? Wasnt it only available with the discs?

Yes, this is true for is terms of being released for sale, but Bandai Ent (the U.S. company) had the license for Nichijou before they were pulled out of the North American market. Bandai even had plans to release the Nichijou manga.

Well....fuck.

wonzo

Banned
Hopefully they have an actual budget this time round.

Here's the 6 minute "prologue" for Kaguyahime that they started giving out on BD/DVD today: 6分 かぐや姫 プロローグ 〜序章〜 11/23 公開

Spoiler Warning: In spite of what the title implies, it seems more like a super spoiler-filled 6 minute trailer for the entire movie with the full theme song playing, rather than the first 6 minutes of the actual film.
will watch later

Shergal

The Hakkenden - 1
iiJXL9jgHIZLg.gif

The water animation during the fight gives it a lot of flourish.

Hey, know who animated that? Hiroyuki Okiura! His animation was much livelier when it wasn't all about ultra-realism and stuff.
And speaking of staff, Shinya Ohira was the animation director of this episode. That accounts a fair bit for the constantly morphing drawings and non-unified animation, because he and the other AD (Shinji Hashimoto) approached the job with the mentality of correcting as little as possible.

I'll say, though- the show completely failed to engage me on a dramatic level. I found it rather hard to care for the characters, especially due to the obtuse storytelling and direction the show likes to use. But episode 10, directed by no other than Ohira himself, is a treat. I actually watched the series just to see that episode.

When I saw this scene in the Kaguyahime preview, I was reminded of this post:
Haha, yeah, it's in the 3-min trailer too and it was really weird. I hope they didn't just do that for kicks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom