• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobile Suit Gundam 6

This episode has two great scenes in it. The first is Amuro, finally launching in the Gundam, going berserk on the dudes out there. The whole scene is half Gundam ripping Zakus in two and half really crazy shots of Amuro freaking out. I forgot how early on in the show this scene happens, but it probably is the one that first let me know how awesome Gundam is. There's something really raw about the combat of the first show. The weapons are simpler, and so close range combat is a lot more up close and personal, and things get crazy brutal because of it. I mean this has to be the ONLY Gundam show where the head mounted vulcan cannons are useful and indeed threatening.

The other scene is Char Aznable taking a shower. Really that's all I need to say on that one.

In my opinion this is what makes The original Mobile Suit Gundam the best series out of the bunch. The battles feel real and gritty. Even with the Gundam you can actually feel Amuro struggling against his enemies, so he never felt like some super powerful god among men. The newtype nonsense hasn't kicked in full swing yet so no "beam barriers" and dead people shutting down mobile suit controls. There's less preaching to the world etc inside the cockpit that Zeta and subsequently every other Gundam thereafter suffers from. I mean we're fighting a war here guys is it really the time to be talking about philosophy and ethics?

Thinking back to all of Kamille and Judau's battles I don't think the ever had anything quite like a "Ramba Ral" villian. That's not to say they didn't have good fight sequences. The original Mobile Suit Gundam just had better.

jgminto

Imagine how bad the show would look if they got the rights to The Beatles song Get Back. Shit would literally just be the genga for 24 minutes each ep.

It'd just be Araki holding a camcorder and flipping through the manga with a boombox nearby

fertygo

Imagine how bad the show would look if they got the rights to The Beatles song Get Back. Shit would literally just be the genga for 24 minutes each ep.
Bahahaha, I actually don't mind..
They put it into an all Yes soundtrack.

Actually maybe its not cost them much (I can't prove it though)
The producer is Warner Bros, maybe the anime team talk to them can they use certain song for it, YES is under Warner Music label IIRC.

If true that kinda rule out the possibility they using song like Get Back or Prince's (not that its likely)

duckroll

Mmmmmmmmmmm. Pablo fans rejoice: http://studio-pablo.com/schedule.html

They've updated their work schedule again. Right now they're working on:

- Shin-ei's Anime Mirai 2014 short
- A 1-cours JC Staff show starting in Spring 2014
- Art setting for select episodes of a Ufotable TV series
- A 1-cours Fall 2014 show for an unspecified studio

fertygo

I would like Holy Diver from DIO as next ED of Jojo
Or just insert song

Damn, they going for F/SN..

BluWacky

The problem is that the repetition is inherently flawed because they wrote themselves into a corner with the setup. They can't do anything interesting with the repetition because the plot precludes it.

I need to finish watching Star Driver to make my thoughts fully coherent, but in a way this is very similar to Utena. Utena, after all,
only loses once - arguably twice if you count the final duel - in the whole series
. The episodes are extremely repetitive - one character beat essentially repeated three times in each of the Student Council / Black Rose / Apocalypse arcs, and the duels feature heavily recycled animation and themes.

(I'm not actually sure if you've watched Utena, Branduil! You really should if you haven't)

Enokido's weakness in his follow-up attempts at "doing Utena" (Melody of Oblivion and Star Driver in particular) is characterisation, more than repetition. Although MoO, despite being a manga adaptation, clearly takes a lot of inspiration from Utena - not just in the visuals, but in Enokido's playing up of the similarities between Bocca/Utena and Anthy/the Melody - and Star Driver's basic plot structure is almost identical, neither of them have characters actually worth giving a toss about IMO. Bocca in particular is a totally blank state of a character in MoO.

sonicmj1

I need to finish watching Star Driver to make my thoughts fully coherent, but in a way this is very similar to Utena. Utena, after all,
only loses once - arguably twice if you count the final duel - in the whole series
. The episodes are extremely repetitive - one character beat essentially repeated three times in each of the Student Council / Black Rose / Apocalypse arcs, and the duels feature heavily recycled animation and themes.

(I'm not actually sure if you've watched Utena, Branduil! You really should if you haven't)

I can't speak much to your characterization point, having not seen Star Driver or Melody of Oblivion, but I think what makes Utena's repeat of those character beats worthwhile is that each time we return, they're approached in a different way that evolves our understanding of the character. In the Council Arc, we learn about the 'eternal' thing that each character wants to achieve. In the Black Rose Arc, we see the selfishness of their aims, through the eyes of the other people in their lives who are being overlooked. And in the Apocalypse arc, the characters come to terms with the loss of the eternal past of their memories that they want to recapture.

If each character hits a single point and gets discarded, unless those individual stories are done really well, it's just repetitive.

duckroll

Although MoO, despite being a manga adaptation, clearly takes a lot of inspiration from Utena

I should probably point out that MoO is in fact not a manga adaptation. There is a manga which was serialized before the anime aired, but the anime is not an adaptation of that. Instead MoO was a concept created jointly by Gainax, JC Staff, and Shinji Katakura. That's what the GJK in the credit for the original concept stands for. Gainax was responsible for the very first original concept for the world and setting, and I believe they intended for it to be a game of some sort, which never materialized. Katakura started doing the manga first, while JC Staff prepared production on the anime.

wonzo

Banned

at least the fsn women will be forced into the prettiest looking kitchens there ever were

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kyousougiga - 4/5

Well, I guess that's apparently the end of all the ONA material. That was a fairly long prologue, but it seems like there'll be enough payoff for it in the second half of the series. I hope.

The only problem I have with this series is that I feel like I'm expected to like it a whole lot more than I already do. I know AnimeGAF isn't a hivemind, but I still get a very strong impression that I'm supposed to think this is, by far, the best series this season, and if I don't, then clearly I have absolutely garbage taste. I'd rank it at number two, behind Samurai Flamenco. Make of that what you will.

I'm actually frustrated that I don't like it more than I already do, because it looks very much like the sort of thing I'd normally be all over. The character designs are great and unique, I love the cast, the music is alright, the OP and ED themes are both great, the setting is extremely interesting, and the characters are quirky, but there just seems to be something missing, and I can't exactly figure out what it is. Maybe it's not missing anything; maybe it's just me.

It's like I can appreciate the craft behind the series so far, but outside of the first and third episodes (I still haven't seen episode 0; I really should rectify that), the series hasn't really grabbed me all that much. Episode 4 was particularly boring. Again, I really do hope the second half of this will be great, and I'm going to be really disappointed if it disappoints me.

I have had a serious axe to grind against this show myself for not being nearly as good as the hype purports it to be. Though right now I am attributing that to the near endless recycling of ONA material and the need to move forward with this show. As it is, Kyousougiga is probably at best the fifth best show of the season.

The studio is headed by Toshiyuki Nagano and Tomonobu Kato, so it looks like AIC guys started up their own studio and brought Aoki along. All three have a stake in the company, so Aoki isn't just working for them. Pretty interesting.

I guess this rules him out as the F/SN director!

Good news! Exited to see what Aoki does next.

Branduil

The studio is headed by Toshiyuki Nagano and Tomonobu Kato, so it looks like AIC guys started up their own studio and brought Aoki along. All three have a stake in the company, so Aoki isn't just working for them. Pretty interesting.

So even less reason to watch F/SN then, LOL.

Theonik

Infinite Stratos 07
Next episode will contain some delicious harem tears. Also
lol at the imouto basically shutting Ichika down. Such a shame this won't last and they foreshadowed that fact to hell and back.

Spring 2014 seems shockingly soon for more Jojo.
At the level of quality they are putting out?

fertygo

Hirao Takayuki to direct F/SN!

Yiss!

Mr.Jeff

Eroge! Hentai mo Game mo Kaihatsu Zanmai is apparently getting a fourth episode.

No the loli or the brown hair girl (who I recently discovered will not get focus.

lol.
As Zach found out to his peril, you don't want anything to do with the brown-haired girl.

Maybe it's a alternate harem end route? Or focus on the side characters?

BluWacky

I should probably point out that MoO is in fact not a manga adaptation. There is a manga which was serialized before the anime aired, but the anime is not an adaptation of that. Instead MoO was a concept created jointly by Gainax, JC Staff, and Shinji Katakura. That's what the GJK in the credit for the original concept stands for. Gainax was responsible for the very first original concept for the world and setting, and I believe they intended for it to be a game of some sort, which never materialized. Katakura started doing the manga first, while JC Staff prepared production on the anime.

Aaaah, so it was very similar to Utena and Escaflowne then. Got it - thanks for the clarification. I remember the anime being announced as the manga was coming out and then not hearing about it ages, but because I've never seen the manga I didn't know whether it was an adaptation or not.

BluWacky

Sorry for double posting!

I can't speak much to your characterization point, having not seen Star Driver or Melody of Oblivion, but I think what makes Utena's repeat of those character beats worthwhile is that each time we return, they're approached in a different way that evolves our understanding of the character. In the Council Arc, we learn about the 'eternal' thing that each character wants to achieve. In the Black Rose Arc, we see the selfishness of their aims, through the eyes of the other people in their lives who are being overlooked. And in the Apocalypse arc, the characters come to terms with the loss of the eternal past of their memories that they want to recapture.

I think my view of Utena is coloured somewhat by the fact that I think I've "got it". Don't get me wrong, I think the show's brilliant, but rewatching the earlier episodes when you know what makes the Student Council members tick makes for slightly repetitive viewing when distilled down to the message they're each conveying. I really like the way you interpret each arc, though.

If each character hits a single point and gets discarded, unless those individual stories are done really well, it's just repetitive.

Absolutely.

duckroll

Hirao Takayuki to direct F/SN!

Yiss!

Tomonori Sudo seems more likely to me.

Atsushi Ikariya probably isn't working on Fate/Stay Night either, since he's currently working on Ultra Super Picture's Anime Mirai short, and before that he worked on animation for the Kill la Kill episodes airing now. So this puts Sudo in a good position to take over the entire F/SN project as director and character designer. He already directed some F/Z episodes, and he directed the new KnK movie.

Mind you, I don't think this is a good choice, just that it seems a more obvious choice to me.

fertygo

Tomonori Sudo seems more likely to me.

Atsushi Ikariya probably isn't working on Fate/Stay Night either, since he's currently working on Ultra Super Picture's Anime Mirai short, and before that he worked on animation for the Kill la Kill episodes airing now. So this puts Sudo in a good position to take over the entire F/SN project as director and character designer. He already directed some F/Z episodes, and he directed the new KnK movie.

Mind you, I don't think this is a good choice, just that it seems a more obvious choice to me.

Giggle and pipe dream with Takayuki aside, I think you're right Sudou is most likely choice but I thought Ikariya also have chance before you breaking the news with that post :(

I'd prefer him instead Sudou if can choose, Its worth to see his directorial debut at least.. we'll see I guess.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Episode 7:

Yes, yes, yes I do believe that Log Horizon is hitting its stride nicely as we see the world build that was being done in past episodes being integrated into the this arc as Shrioe is planning on revolutionizing the world, er, somehow though what appears to be a massive Xanatos Gambit. I do like that this had a focus on the economics of the world, indeed this show is at its best when dealing with such things.

Some movie spoilers that I find utterly hilarious for Doki Doki Precure

Apparently the wedding thing was all a dream created by the villain to keep Mana in a coma for good, so in order for her to wake up, she needs to realize that her heterosexual relationship is the wrong. Holy shit, I'm not dreaming.

that and I can't look at the whole reunion with Regina the same way. Mainly with Mana forcing herself on Regina and she keeps saying no. While Mana is smiling....
I keep telling you that her plan from day one is a harem , you can't make it more obvious even if you tried without going in to hentai.

Log Horizon Episode 7:

Yes, yes, yes I do believe that Log Horizon is hitting its stride nicely as we see the world build that was being done in past episodes being integrated into the this arc as Shrioe is planning on revolutionizing the world, er, somehow though what appears to be a massive Xanatos Gambit. I do like that this had a focus on the economics of the world, indeed this show is at its best when dealing with such things.

The economic part of this show is indeed quite awesome.
I also like that even in a mmo anime a big part of the economy still rely on basic things like hunting or fishing ... ( or even farming )

Is it common to work a full year ahead of time for the animation aspect of a show?

duckroll

Is it common to work a full year ahead of time for the animation aspect of a show?

Sure, but who's talking about anyone working on animation or even working on anything a year ahead here?

Edit: Oh, I realize my original post might have been confusing for those who aren't familiar with Studio Pablo's schedule. Those things are sequentially what they will be working on. They generally don't work on more than one show at a time.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka? is getting a TV anime. Directed by Hiroyuki Hashimoto at WHITE FOX, series composition by Kazuyuki Fudeyasu and character designs by Yousuke Okuda.

http://ieee80211abgn.blog58.fc2.com/blog-entry-3007.html

Hah. That's the last one of the manga in that Manga Time Kirara ad that played during every episode of Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb to get an anime (the others being Kiniro Mosaic, Yuyushiki, and Hidamari Sketch).

I wish White Fox would do a second season of Maou-sama or something.

With how well it's selling, it's only a matter of time. I expect to see it by next spring at the latest. MAYBE summer. But they'd be stupid to not do it, so I'm definitely expecting it.

Hulu Plus is a much nicer experience on PS4 than it was on my pc or even ps3, guess Ill be using this app more often.

Tokyo Ravens Episode 6 Days in the Nest - Holiday

Absolutely hilarious episode which imagining it as male Natsume would make it one of the best episode of the year, even some implied Touji Bakatora going on (how close they get and even thinking of him while on their date). Also kind of funny how Bakatora sounds whenever he panics and such, really underrated character this season and year.

Fun episode giving a nice break from the plot.

duckroll

The Jojo rumor I posted earlier about Stardust Crusaders being Spring 2014 has been confirmed by someone with the latest Ultra Jump: http://9gal.com/read.php?tid=417705

Tokyo MX will also be broadcasting compilation specials for Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency next year. The main focus for Stardust Crusaders will be the action in the Stand battles, so hopefully they actually have animation this time. Like how they went from Phantom Blood to Battle Tendency, there will also be a visual tone shift in Stardust Crusaders making it unique and different. They also mention wanting to do something "new" without ruining the established concept of Jojo.

Makoto got so much love for his birthday.
BZM4BuHCcAABx0E.jpg:large

Narag

The Jojo rumor I posted earlier about Stardust Crusaders being Spring 2014 has been confirmed by someone with the latest Ultra Jump: http://9gal.com/read.php?tid=417705

Tokyo MX will also be broadcasting compilation specials for Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency next year. The main focus for Stardust Crusaders will be the action in the Stand battles, so hopefully they actually have animation this time. Like how they went from Phantom Blood to Battle Tendency, there will also be a visual tone shift in Stardust Crusaders making it unique and different. They also mention wanting to do something "new" without ruining the established concept of Jojo.

So excited for this.

I just want to know who the composer will be.

Eroge! Hentai mo Game mo Kaihatsu Zanmai is apparently getting a fourth episode.

No the loli or the brown hair girl (who I recently discovered will not get focus.

lol.

That doesn't matter because apparently Swing Out Sisters 2 was saved is coming SOON. SOOOOOOON.

As Zach found out to his peril, you don't want anything to do with the brown-haired girl.
I thought it was black hair, the megane girl. Never again!

Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka? is getting a TV anime. Directed by Hiroyuki Hashimoto at WHITE FOX, series composition by Kazuyuki Fudeyasu and character designs by Yousuke Okuda.

http://ieee80211abgn.blog58.fc2.com/blog-entry-3007.html

Manga Time Kirara series adaptations haven't disappointed me yet so I'm looking forward to more cute girls doing whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom