• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew J.

Yamato 2199 10

Oh shit! Actual ghosts!

Alien moe~

Are those SS ranks the Imperial Guard are using? Well, I suppose any illusions that the Garmillan Empire wasn't blatantly based on Nazi Germany vanished several episodes ago anyway.

Captain Okita seems...taciturn. Makes me think
Melda's right about Earth shooting first.

Interesting thing about the Wave Motion Gun.
It's been fired three times so far, and two of those were to overcome naturally-occurring obstacles instead of attacking an enemy. Someone with more time than me could probably write up an analysis of that arguing the WMG is analogous to nuclear weapons, and so the writers feared using it on human(oid) targets too much would trigger the Japanese audience's deep-seated aversion to nuclear warfare.

The gravitas of this struggle between Akira and Melda is undercut by their costume design; it's sending too many "WOO CATFIGHT!" signals.

Haha, Goer is such a stupid asshole.

Saint Seiya Omega Episode 79 An Assassin Master of Offense and Defense! Shun's Secret Chain Plan!
BZOz_I4IIAAmtui.jpg

Wow this was just a really incredible episode. Somehow it brought on feelings of nostalgia as it had no Subaru but had Shun there and then the original three just fighting alongside one another. Must praise the whole team as that was a fantastic showing of their abilities, diligence and determination combined with wisdom and instruction from Shun's fantastic chains. Even better was the soundtrack which was on point with all of the besst songs back to back in the most fighting of moments. Part of me wished the rest of the arc could be like this. Surtr and Aegaeon deserve commendation too.

Valvrave the Liberator - 7

WELP.

Aaaand one of the innocent nice girl characters is the one that ends up tasting first blood. All because of one of L-Elf's old buddies whom I'll refer to that young evil one as Little Sadist.

I love how casually L-Elf hijacked the entire school. He sounded like he didn't give damn about anything going on. This guy's awesome.

Wonder what the connection this new girl has to L-Elf. Wonder if it's his sister or something.

Not picking on you in particular, but I'm just wondering how anyone made it beyond episode 5 of this series. The amount of retardation in that 1 episode was enough to chase away even the criminally insane-not to mention the mech designs are fucking atrocious. I mean whats with the long ass eye lash mechs that look like butterflys?

Kudo's to all those who did. You are clearly a bigger man than I.

Andrew J.

Not picking on you in particular, but I'm just wondering how anyone made it beyond episode 5 of this series. The amount of retardation in that 1 episode was enough to chase away even the criminally insane-not to mention the mech designs are fucking atrocious. I mean whats with the long ass eye lash mechs that look like butterflys?

Embrace the madness.

The designs of the mechs may not be the pinnacle of good design, but I'm finding the space battles fun to watch. But that's not the main reason I'm watching this show.

Embrace the madness.

It's pretty much this. I want to see how insane this show will get, and it will be glorious. I'm hoping I have the same reaction I felt at that one moment in Code Geass. You know the one.

fertygo

The Jojo rumor I posted earlier about Stardust Crusaders being Spring 2014 has been confirmed by someone with the latest Ultra Jump: http://9gal.com/read.php?tid=417705

Tokyo MX will also be broadcasting compilation specials for Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency next year. The main focus for Stardust Crusaders will be the action in the Stand battles, so hopefully they actually have animation this time. Like how they went from Phantom Blood to Battle Tendency, there will also be a visual tone shift in Stardust Crusaders making it unique and different. They also mention wanting to do something "new" without ruining the established concept of Jojo.

I just hope that Ono D stay >_<

NeonZ

The Jojo rumor I posted earlier about Stardust Crusaders being Spring 2014 has been confirmed by someone with the latest Ultra Jump: http://9gal.com/read.php?tid=417705

Tokyo MX will also be broadcasting compilation specials for Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency next year. The main focus for Stardust Crusaders will be the action in the Stand battles, so hopefully they actually have animation this time. Like how they went from Phantom Blood to Battle Tendency, there will also be a visual tone shift in Stardust Crusaders making it unique and different. They also mention wanting to do something "new" without ruining the established concept of Jojo.

I wonder if they could rewrite part 3 a bit to include more Ripple and vampire abilities. It's kind of odd how they're mostly forgotten even though Stands can't replace them in all ways.

Kuroko no Basket S2 7

Agree with Momoi, Tetsu #2 is pretty adorable.

Kiyoshi's reaction about the school not having Basketball was priceless and it always makes me laugh whenever I see how Hyuga looked like with that bleached hair of his.

Nagi no Asukara Episode 7 - The Ofunehiki Shakes
BZO8346IAAAeybC.jpg

The other classmates having roles finally.
I hope it doesnt mean we wont be seeing them anymore if Hikari is truly leaving, and I didnt think the sister would have a prevalent reoccuring role in this. Mixed feelings but it provides a nice contrast to Hikari at times. Gorgeous visuals

Embrace the madness.

I can't my arms around the weird, draped eyelashes of the mechs.

The designs of the mechs may not be the pinnacle of good design, but I'm finding the space battles fun to watch. But that's not the main reason I'm watching this show.

It's pretty much this. I want to see how insane this show will get, and it will be glorious. I'm hoping I have the same reaction I felt at that one moment in Code Geass. You know the one.

The mech battles are ok. It's just that I don't care for the mechanics behind the mechs either. The whole "overheating" in the vacuum of space just isn't working for me. I enjoyed the characters designs, but that wasn't enough to keep me locked in.

If its the same "moment" of Code Geass that I think your thinking then I hope its just "awesome".

Andrew J.

Yamato 2199 11

Ah, competent military leadership at last!

Kodai talking about typical POW interrogation scenes is unusually meta for this show, at least as it has been so far. (For the record, I have seen that screencap with Sanada quoting Clarke's Third Law.)

The security chief just loves stirring up shit, doesn't he?

And so the secret's coming out.
Given what we've seen of the Empire so far it may even have been "correct" in some sense to shoot first, but the interesting part is how the crew reacts to this information.

Akira's punishment feels a little light, but considering how limited the ship's human resources are anything more would be impractical.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Y'know, when I started this series I expected it to be a down-to-earth show about two men's definition of justice, framed by a superhero theme. I was wrong.

You and me both. I'm still going to keep watching because it's too dumb to stop but a serious show would've been nice too.

Dresden

I wonder if they could rewrite part 3 a bit to include more Ripple and vampire abilities. It's kind of odd how they're mostly forgotten even though Stands can't replace them in all ways.

Joseph beasted too hard in part 2.

Part 2 Joseph with
Hermit Purple
would destroy everything in Part 3, now that I think about it.

Monogatari 20

If they don't air those skipped (were they in the novels?) Kanbaru helping Gaen moments in Hanamonogatari I'm going to be even more furious than I am now!

Space isn't actually cold the way it's portrayed in a lot of science fiction.

The vacuum of space should be acting as a temperature sink to suck out the heat; at least the parts that aren't facing the sun if nothing else. The only way I could see them overheating is if they're moving in a constant linear path facing the sun.

The vacuum of space should be acting as a temperature sink to suck out the heat; at least the parts that aren't facing the sun if nothing else. The only way I could see them overheating is if they're moving in a constant linear path facing the sun.

The problem here is that you're trying to apply science to a series about body-jacking vampires.

Lain

White Albums 2 ep.7

I don't know if the show can get any better than this.
It was kind of nice to have the first part be dedicated to letting us listening to them sing it out, instead of taking the easy way out of just recanting about how good/bad it went while skipping that whole part, though I would have liked to listen to the last song too.
What makes the episode really great though is the development in the second half and what that will mean for the future.

Log Horizon 07

This may not be the best show of the season in terms of animation, but I'll be damned if it's not in my top 5 due to over-all enjoyment. Shiro is a fantastic lead. Like I can't emphasize how much I love that the show focuses on his intellect. Here we only got to see the beginning of his plan.

This might be the first series I'd be eagerly awaiting VN's to be brought to the US. I love everything about it.

Kill La Kill Episode 7 A Loser I Can't Hate

Mataro is extremely underrated, he was absolutely hilarious the chocolate scene even. But it was so close to be an actually decent episode.
if they had actually gone through and had Ryuko get defeated by Mako that would have actually been phenomenal for once and setup a good plotline of such. And even kept the uniform at least and got on the council as well so that she could have gone from zero to somehow being actually respectable character. Now its back to annoying. I was actually legit surprised at the turn of events like that.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
White Album 2 - Episode 7

Some of the greatest 23 minutes of anime I've seen in a very long time.

The masterful title card at the very end of the episode says it best: The Last and Greatest Day.

Given the
contentious cesspool of infidelity
the first series became, I don't think I can continue to watch this series after hitting such a high note.

Valvrave the Liberator - 8

....I'm sorry, what?

So L-Elf was a kid who was held prisoner until being saved by a princess, by giving him her hair, which she calls half her life. This warrants his freedom from the guards...how exactly? I don't get it.

Other than that though, teenage L-Elf continued to be awesome in this episode. As someone who enjoyed Lelouch screwing around with his enemies in Code Geass with his tactics, L-Elf is a ton of fun to watch.

Gazoinks

White Albums 2 ep.7

It was kind of nice to have the first part be dedicated to letting us listening to them sing it out, instead of taking the easy way out of just recanting about how good/bad it went while skipping that whole part, though I would have liked to listen to the last song too.
What makes the episode really great though is the development in the second half and what that will mean for the future.

I'm guessing they're holding onto the last song for some climactic moment at the end or something.

One of the best things about this show is that I can't really take its quality for granted, which means every episode is a pleasant surprise. :D

Andrew J.

Yamato 2199 12

Of course Dessler has hot female bodyguards.

Oh, Christ.
Don't tell me Iscandar is right next to the Gamilan homeworld. So much for taking the pressure off.

Yeah, yeah, Domel is Rommel, we get it.

He's pretty clever,
launching an attack at the end of and episode. It's surprising given the way the previous action-heavy episodes have been structured.

Is that a space submarine? How does that even work?

cnet128

Banned
Monogatari SS 20 (Onimonogatari 4 END)

fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

YOU CAN'T KILL MAYOI OFF THAT'S NOT ALLOWED

When they played that instrumental version of happy bite when she was making her decision...ugh. And then dat kiss. How can something so wrong be so beautiful >.< LOVE/HATE YOU TOO NISIO.

Aside from that, uh...Gaen is pretty cool, but we knew that already. Also
Ougi's creepiness levels are increasing rapidly, which is vaguely impressive since they started so high. From the way she was talking at the end of this episode, it sounded rather like she's related to that darkness thing somehow, if not one and the same phenomenon. So I guess that makes this whole thing her fault. Just like the events of Otorimonogatari were largely her fault. And Hanamonogatari, actually. brb imma go find Nadeko and convince her to murder Ougi first before she does the whole final boss battle thing.

White Album 2 07

Man, what a fantastic episode. I'm not a big fan of idol music but that saxophone and dat guitar solo. Now I need more saxophone in anime. In fact more jazz/blues in general, which is where that instrument shines. Kids on the Slope and Cowboy Bebop weren't enough.
lhsWvVH.gif

Like others have said, first half was enjoyable, and second half really tried to catch up with Golden Time in development speed.

As much as I agree with apparently most people that Touma is best girl, I can't fault Setsuna for being so open and straightforward about her feelings. Obviously protag is interested in both, but it seems like he still has a bigger crush on Touma. Either ways, good going Setsuna.

Soma

White Album 2 Episode 07

iA8YRMusLIimY.jpg

HEAVEN OR HELL TINY HATS

LET'S ROCK

Hoo boy.

Really strong episode, even an improvement on last week's which was also really good. The fruits of their labor have finally come to pass making this episode seem like it could be the finale of the show. Can't say I wasn't expecting that ending to happen but it was still pretty surprising. What it could mean for the second half of this show makes me both anxious and excited to see what happens. Excited because it's good to see some actual development happen but also very anxious due to people who are familiar with the VN saying
the drama supposedly comes full force after this event
soooo I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

You've been a good show so far, don't let me down now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom