• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen's Blade 1-8

This seemed alright for a few episodes... I mean, the acid-shooting tits were ridiculous, but I let it slide. But now I think I'm just bored to tears with it. Does it ever get better, or should I just stop now? Because wow, this is pretty bad.

fertygo

Still so mad with that monogatari eps, fuck..
Shinobu arc my ass, they delivering blow from blind spot
Queen's Blade 1-8

This seemed alright for a few episodes... I mean, the acid-shooting tits were ridiculous, but I let it slide. But now I think I'm just bored to tears with it. Does it ever get better, or should I just stop now? Because wow, this is pretty bad.

I don't know why you would watching the show without expecting tits galore anyway.

Doki Doki Punicure 2

More revelations on why Regina is the primary winner in Mana's harem

Someone needs the stamina to handle a horny Mana. She's too insane. Regina is there to stop Mana from trying to make the entire school her harem.

With Regina's personality, and how Mana wants to be depended on, it's no wonder they're made for each other. And it deals with Mana's stamina too! Problem solved! Too bad everyone else is doomed to lose.

All this canon

Oreshura: S1
So I finally got around to watching this one and I am mad that
Masuzu won instead of Chiwa. UGH, I dont even know how to feel. In my mind, Masuzu just didn't deserve to win. She not only blackmailed him the entire series, but was basically being a bitch to everyone throughout the series.

I really feel bad for Chiwa. You can tell that she cares for him the most out of everyone. they've known each other the longest. They spends every day with each other, they know everything about each other. The chemistry between them is there and you can quite obviously tell that he cares for her (and vice versa)

What kills me the most is that I knew going into this that the show is a harem, I knew that in the end it wouldn't be going down a single path because thats how these things tend to go. I just hate how the main character ends things against everyone

The entire ending just rubs me the wrong way. And I can't explain why. And that annoys me.

[/rant]

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Masuzu won instead of Chiwa. UGH, I dont even know how to feel. In my mind, Masuzu just didn't deserve to win. She not only blackmailed him the entire series, but was basically being a bitch to everyone throughout the series.

I really feel bad for Chiwa. You can tell that she cares for him the most out of everyone. they've known each other the longest. They spends every day with each other, they know everything about each other. The chemistry between them is there and you can quite obviously tell that he cares for her (and vice versa)

What kills me the most is that I knew going into this that the show is a harem, I knew that in the end it wouldn't be going down a single path because thats how these things tend to go. I just hate how the main character ends things against everyone

The entire ending just rubs me the wrong way. And I can't explain why. And that annoys me.
[/rant]
That's just the way it goes. If it's an adaptation of an ongoing series, then... well, yeah.

Jarmel

Banned
Macross 4-

ibnhX5iaHGVry2.jpg

Looks like good rat food to me.

So I'm guessing Ranka was a homage to Minmay. This episode was kinda dated as there is no way that you could be on a spaceship for over a week and not see another human being. Even cameras would have picked you up. That said, the two leads do have some good chemistry.

/XX/

Still reading (now ancient) pages of this thread, and reached this:

So I turned 30 today.
I wish to have wished for you a Happy Birthday at the time, Seraphis Cain!

Based Shiranui ♥
Did you end up getting any of the Shiranui figures? The SEGA capsule toy ones?

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/fall.gif~original

To animate all these things happening at the same time means that the animators had to practically redraw everything on screen from scratch every few frames. This is hugely time consuming because you're usually just changing some part of some character and leaving everything else in 'the shot' untouched, where as here due to the spectacular camera movement the animators have to re-draw all the details.
THE animator in singular! Credit on that scene for Mr. Itano... not only of circuses lives the man!

Oh wow, Sentai Filmworks just announced a license rescue for Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water, for both BD and DVD, out in March (not sure if multiple parts or one complete set).
edit: they don't have the bonus omake episodes at the moment but they're "looking into it".

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?26017#post213174
May have to hold off until March to watch Nadia now.
That's like... TOO LATE. Import French version. NOW (I don't mind if you don't know French, probably you'll understand it better than Japanese, and that's a reasonable threshold to me in case of this brilliant must-see work. :p).

Speaking of Dezaki, would you approve of these postcard cuts:
Those are just filtered on Photoshop; it misses the whole point.
TRIGGER Inc., keeps winning at everything... :)

Heh, anyone remembers I Am Now (Banned)? Lively poster...

LordCanti

Monogatari

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Fucking Nisio why you do that, Fuck

He hates us.

Well, the Mayoi story did end up being about Shinobu...

Sure, but if you're going to make an arc named Shinobu Tiemu, you shouldn't have it be mostly about Mayoi. I mean, it was good in its own way, but dammit, I've been waiting for Shinobu Tiemu forever because I thought it was...you know...Shinobu centric.

/XX/

Are there any new, promising, animation studios or is the scene pretty much stagnant? I know of studio Khara but isn't that more like a studio splitting into two?
Weeeeell, do Trigger count?
How new exactly? I'd say ufotable but they've been around for a while. They're still 'new' compared with studios like MADHOUSE or Sunrise who have been around since the 70s.
Speaking of MADHOUSE, there's Maruyama's new studio MAPPA for which Watanabe was supposedly directing a show in 2014. Dunno where that went.
Oh, there's also the very promising Wit Studio! Truly the only ones who care about their animators. Lol.
Anyway, Kinema Citrus is the comparatively young studio whose recent work has impressed me the most. They put a lot of effort into Code:Breaker and Yuyushiki, and I'm very interested in seeing how Bushiroad and Black Bullet turn out.
David Production
I still have a lot of hope for Keiichi Hara's ascension Inc., because I thought of it as a mixture of continuing the 'A-Pro Style' tradition coming from Shin-Ei while handling more of own Mr. Hara projects after Summer Days with Coo, but conserving the willingness to not convert it into just his personal studio like other 'auteurs' kind of end up motivating, be it giving further opportunities to old peers at the helm of new works or keeping the special training for its future young staff thanks to projects like animemirai.

Oh, and talking of colours... Studio Colorido also recently appears as a nice producer of little gems, if only because of its outspoken commitment to the animators integral support and well-being.

Shergal

I still have a lot of hope for Keiichi Hara's ascension Inc., because I thought of it as a mixture of continuing the 'A-Pro Style' tradition coming from Shin-Ei while handling more of own Mr. Hara projects after Summer Days with Coo, but conserving the willingness to not convert it into just his personal studio like other 'auteurs' kind of end up motivating, be it giving further opportunities to old peers at the helm of new works or keeping the special training for its future young staff thanks to projects like animemirai.

I got fired up about Ascension after watching Kizuna Ichigeki but, like, they never make anything interesting.

/XX/

Reverse Sovietoad!

Same answer I got for wanting a Yotsuba& anime...
Closest thing you'll get, I suppose...

What I have learned from Gravity is space is terrifying and wants to kill you.
So, is it the ALIEN of the new generation?

I got fired up about Ascension after watching Kizuna Ichigeki but, like, they never make anything interesting.
They are just resting... don't bring that pesky reality into my hopes and dreams! :)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Someone spoil me on Monogatari...
monogotari 20 spoilers
snail loli realizes she has already resolved the hanging emotions that caused distress and kept her a ghost. facing inevitable destruction if she stays she instead chooses to pass on into the after-afterlife of heaven or something.

JimPanzer

not sure if this is the right thread to ask for this, but...
could you recommend me some animes?

what I have watched and loved
Blood / Blood+
Serial Experiments Lain
Paranoia Agent
NGE

so, yeah. I guess I'm looking for something serious and a bit strange.

Blood / Blood+
Serial Experiments Lain
Paranoia Agent
NGE

Death Note
Hellsing Ultimate
Durarara

Blood / Blood+
Serial Experiments Lain
Paranoia Agent
NGE

Texhnolyze
GITS Stand Alone complex
Boogiepop Phantom
Planetes

Finalow

Little Witch Academia (リトルウィッチアカデミア)

little-witch-academy-trigger.gif

really *nice*, I'm ready for the next episode.

Reknoc

Macross 4-

So I'm guessing Ranka was a homage to Minmay. This episode was kinda dated as there is no way that you could be on a spaceship for over a week and not see another human being. Even cameras would have picked you up. That said, the two leads do have some good chemistry.

It doesn't seem so far fetched to me that a gigantic alien spacecraft rebuilt for shits and giggles would have a few blindspots inside it that someone could get lost in.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I finally got round to watching the second OVA of Girls Und Panzer.

Yes, I did catch the Monty Python reference that I was told to look out for however many months ago.

Theonik

It doesn't seem so far fetched to me that a gigantic alien spacecraft rebuilt for shits and giggles would have a few blindspots inside it that someone could get lost in.
I wish I could find that old fake letter from an Imperial officer on how impractical these super star destroyer designs are.

/XX/

Ariel Visual & Ariel Deluxe

The final episode of the 1991 OVA does particularly enjoyable things with the sci-fi aspect, basically being an even more extreme version of Evangelion's Operation Yashima that, beyond draining all of Japan's electricity to power a superweapon, also involves
detonating nuclear weapons in Japan's volcanoes to launch a crashing spaceship back into orbit
I miss Regulus Tera even more, because of moments like this for he could shout "Anno is a hack!".

Hope to see another post like this before the three month cool-down...
Indeed!

Wooooooooooooow. You missed the birth of legendary new action animator Yoshimichi Kameda. Literally. :(
He was literally born from the animation itself as Mustang and Lust fought in ep19. You can see the fetus forming and developing into a full adult human as the effects got more and more intense. #truthfact
To mature he had to freed from the anxiety of working with his idols Mr. Imaishi & Co. at GAiNAX:

Quick Summary: “Lets drink and talk about the appeal of Yoshinori Kanada!” | The Vanishing Trooper Incident said:
Kameda mentions that while he worked as an in-betweener at Gainax during the production of Gurren Lagann, he was extremely nervous about approaching Imaishi and the other professional animators, those that he worshipped were right before him. The most he could muster up was asking Imaishi for an autograph.
http://vanishingtrooper.wordpress.c...nd-talk-about-the-appeal-of-yoshinori-kanada/

Their aura was too powerful, overwhelming... so "serious" BONES was the ideal place for it. :p

I expect him to find sooner rather than later that fresh, new style he is being waiting all this time to contribute for.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ace of Diamond Episode 7:

Well, this episode is certainly a step down from the last couple of epic showdowns as we see the team fill out and I'll be honest this one really didn't leave any impression on me. Better luck next week I say.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Fun facts:

The VA who performed Falan Fa from Garzey's Wing did Wakaba and Kozue in the Utena dub.

Hassansan was originally voiced by Aya Hisakawa.

Kazzy

Something struck me whilst looking at that teaser for the upcoming GuP Vita game. Wouldn't they (the otaku), surely know that they'd be better off having the OLED console?

Well I guess it could just extend to tanks.

duckroll

Gargantia - OVA 2 - Episode 15

Wow, this was pretty dumb. I like that they expanded on Kugel's story and the origins of the other fleet, but goddamn the characters and writing were extra moronic here. I guess one issue was that they tried to cover what could easily have been 3-4 episodes of content in a single episode, but even then, it doesn't really excuse the motivations and actions of the characters here. It was like watching Lemmings running off a cliff just to neatly tie up the plot gap for Kugel's character arc. Disappointing.

cnet128

Banned

[/rant]

I heartily endorse this post.
Masuzu is worst girl and needs to get out of the MC's life, Chiwawa is best girl and the only correct choice.

/XX/

There's plenty about this to like, though it's still very much in the introduction phase. In the abstract, I really like the setting. But all the echoes that suggest, "This is a WWII story told from Japan's perspective" (and making the centerpiece of your show the biggest battleship Japan built during the war kind of invites them) make me feel really weird about everything happening. Stories that cast the Japan of that era as an entirely innocent victim always rub me the wrong way.

I hope that feeling goes away once they get away from Earth.
Of course it is partly a metaphor for WWII but not quite in the same way you'd imagine and it's certainly not the focus of the story, it really is a sci-fi story.
Yeah, and for the case of the original series I must admit that after watching it I as well kind of categorised it as a manipulative and superficial take on a clearly innocent vision of the past, but words from people like the ones of very own director Mr. Masuda made me reconsider and partly abandon that notion, thinking of the work more like a born anew message of hope and understanding beyond the destruction:

If it were Musashi rather than Yamato, it would not have the power of appeal. Yamato is Yamato, namely Japan itself. Rather than patriotism, it is a nostalgia for oneself.

(...)

In our generation, the economic reconstruction of Japan is joyful. It is a warm feeling, the comfort of one’s existence rather than simple patriotism. Thus, for those reasons, we Japanese cannot help but feel excitement and encouragement when we see Yamato rise bravely from the ground, I suppose.

The sense of guilt over war and militarism is dispelled by Yamato‘s voyage to save mankind; it may be like the economic recovery of Japan itself. Yamato is tied to the consciousness of a general public concerned with the work of a larger societal background.

At the time when social problems like the oil shock and the energy crisis came into focus, Space Battleship Yamato was an explosive hit. It was a time when material civilization came to a standstill, and an urge was born to renew country and family.

The Battleship Yamato, rather than reappearing in a reactionary way, was transformed and emerged as a figure of the future. Depicted in it were love, tradition, sacrifice and the Samurai spirit Bushi-do, all the beauty and virtue. If the label of militarism was applied even a little, the purely beautiful part might have been buried. But when love and the spirit of self-sacrifice rose to the forefront, the cast of Yamato proved the point beautifully.

(...)

The heroes of Yamato are neither statesmen nor arrogant dictators. The level they occupy is, so to speak, the peoples’ representatives. They are heroes born out of democracy.
http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/616/

If it can be seen or habitually judged as a symbol of their previous "patriotic" wars, it may also be possibly seen as a new opportunity for the battleship Yamato to show it can be for 'good' and redeem itself, to save all of humanity in the process.

Rarity

Blood / Blood+
Serial Experiments Lain
Paranoia Agent
NGE

I'll always suggest Kino's Journey just because. It's slow, talky, and episodic, but pretty though-provoking.

Bombless

Katanagatari 8

I love the different types of swords and how different they can be. Also the plot is getting really interesting!

Katanagatari 9

OfjHkdP.jpg

This episode was simply fabulous.

duckroll

Yozakura "Much Lewds" Quartet - Episode 7

Pretty solid conclusion to a major story arc. I really like where the characters and story are going. They've done a pretty good job of making an impressive reveal for the main villain too. There isn't as much action as there was in the last two episodes, but there's still some pretty nice stuff. I love the facial expressions this week too. The plooooot twiiiiiiiiiiiiiist is pretty typical shounen action dramaz but it's not offensively annoying so it's still fun times.

I just wish Ryochimo would stop being SO FUCKING LEWD. The pantyshots in the show are really voyeuristic and creepy, especially when they're sometimes very creatively placed in a way where you might not even notice it's right in your face until you do, and then it's.... "oh", >_<

LordCanti

Monogatari ep 20

AWW SON OF A BITCH!

I don't.... I don't get it.

Am I to infer that Ougi-chan is
the "darkness" that chased Shinobu/Hachikuji
from that?

I take it back; I don't want to know. Lalalalalalalalalalalalalala.

*Jumps out the window*

Edit: Oh, I totally forgot to watch the after-credits roll. Derp derp derpy derpy derp. Now it's obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom