• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meganebu! Episode 7
BZUPKajIAAAAQUN.jpg

William is a great character design and perfect stuco president. Funny episode especially Tony and Hayato, lol.
that samba dancing even. I thought Soma would have at least offered him to join the club

Mature

OGW is the more famous one, and the one people bring up all the time when they bash Summer Wars. The other one is a 20-min pilot from before even the series. It's great because it has little plot, no strained ties to the TV canon and it focuses intently on atmosphere.
Interesting, I'll give both a look then. Thanks.

Surely it could be possible but
a significant age difference
Hmmm...
The future he talked about being from sounded completely dystopian. Things like baseball were gone and he was surprised to see so many people together in one place— I guess I just figured he was from a distant future. Maybe I read into it wrong.

Branduil

Fullmetal Alchemist 4 Dub 2003

Well this was a decent filler, until the ending when it got dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

so the girl you love isn't dead she lost her memory and has been with you the whole time you just didn't notice it. NO YOU'RE LYING ARRGHALJFIOANLFUAIL *gets killed*

I did like how this episode helps to establish Ed and Al as good guys who can't turn a blind eye to those in trouble. That's about it though

Haha yeah the ending to that episode was incredibly stupid.

Magi The Kingdom of Magic Episode 7
tumblr_mwfmuakBPF1r6jylpo1_250.gif
tumblr_mwfmuakBPF1r6jylpo4_250.gif

Ren Kouha is amazing and definitely second best character after Judar. Having him voiced by Hakkenden's Shino was like the greatest treat in this season so far. Pleased tons over and his sword is so huge. Great personality, action, and silly antics. And the way he can woo everyone. I hope he wont meet a bad end ever.

Song wise they added more vocals to the Dance Bizarre song it seemed, the lady vocalists quite into the song.

Did the Translator have a slip of the mind or something, first time Ive ever seen Magnoshutatt for the place. Quite sure even in the show they had never referred to it as Magnoshutatt before.

cajunator

Banned
Interesting, I'll give both a look then. Thanks.

Hmmm...
The future he talked about being from sounded completely dystopian. Things like baseball were gone and he was surprised to see so many people together in one place— I guess I just figured he was from a distant future. Maybe I read into it wrong.

I think it was actually only like
15 years in the future
wasnt it?

I'm surprised you haven't seen it yet. Get on it! :p

Fuwafuwa indeed!

I dont see yuri though. Im confused.

Full Metal Alchemist 6 Dub 2003

I liked the change to the actual state alchemy test, it did a good job of explaining why Al didn't become a state alchemist and made the test feel more like a test and less like a formality. The scene of Ed and Al helping give birth was... bizarre

Also I find it weird how Ed still doesn't have full control over his ability to do alchemy without a circle. That's always been one of his defining traits in the series so for him to not have it just seems odd.

Fullmetal Alchemist 7 Dub 2003

What happens to
Nina
is just grim in the manga and brotherhood. All these feels I don't want :(

Scar is really weird in this version, he seems more like an intellectual here.

So speaking of FMA spoilers and difference between the first and second anime, who else thinks they did
Hughe's death
better in the first anime? I don't know I felt it was more emotional even if we didn't see the manly tears of Armstrong.

So speaking of FMA spoilers and difference between the first and second anime, who else thinks they did
Hughe's death
better in the first anime? I don't know I felt it was more emotional even if we didn't see the manly tears of Armstrong.

In the manga that event happens early and suddenly as well, I'm not sure how 03 version handles it but I'll post my thoughts when I get there.

Fullmetal Alchemist 5 Dub 2003

Apparently Roy has the same VA as in Brotherhood but it sounds different, like he hasn't found the right voice for the character yet.

The train hijack scene was awesome, though I feel like Bald looks a bit too much like Bradley. The introduction of Hughes was hilarious, and seeing the interactions between Roy's team was great.

Probably my favorite episode and I liked this introduction for Hughes much better. It had more of an emotional impact

In the manga that event happens early and suddenly as well, I'm not sure how 03 version handles it but I'll post my thoughts when I get there.

Should've specified I meant the event and the aftermath. But yeah 03 also does it as it coming out of nowhere if I recall correctly. I meant that
the funeral was more emotional in 03
though that could very well be my nostalgia goggles.

Katanagatari END

Na0TwDq.gif

This entire series was amazing. I know this because I want to strangle Nishio, that bastard, for what he put me through. Loved every minute of it.

Dat Nisio trolling , a trolling so good you want more afterwards.

-------------------
Does anyone know if next week is another monogatari S2 recap , or if they will go to the final arc, right away ?

I kinda want to see everyone reaction to the next arc trolling.

Gazoinks

Yamato 2199 22

So as it turns out
Desler isn't pure evil. Cool.

Yes Melda, accept your manifest destiny as a member of the Yamato. Goooood.

I like how the automatic response when a girl says she has a crush on someone is "IS IT KODAI?!". Protag syndrome.

This show sure knows how to get you hyped for the next episode!

Should've specified I meant the event and the aftermath. But yeah 03 also does it as it coming out of nowhere if I recall correctly. I meant that
the funeral was more emotional in 03
though that could very well be my nostalgia goggles.

Considering people saying how the scene in episode 7 of
Nina being turned into a chimera
was more emotional in 03 then in Brotherhood I feel it's nostalgia. The scene is equally as powerful in both versions and the manga. There are differences but I don't feel it makes one more or less powerful emotionally then the other, they're just different. The actual reveal scene and Ed's confrontation are pretty much identical in all 3 formats, it's how the final scene plays out that changes.

In 03
Military police break in to stop Al, they arrest Shou and take Nina away to test her. Ed tries to save Nina from becoming a science experiment and she escapes running into Scar who destroys her. Ed then comes across the blood splatter and freaks out

In brotherhood/manga
Ed leaves the house planning to report the truth, he angrily shouts why his power couldn't help him to save one girl. Meanwhile Scar enters the house and kills Shou for straying from the path, chimera nina walks up to her father and cries that daddy is hurt before Scar gives her a mercy death

Both scenes give a pretty powerful scene for Ed, one might argue the shock scene in 03 is better then his frustrated yell in the manga/brotherhood. However the 03 version doesn't have the powerful scene of Nina crying
over her father despite what he did to her

I can't really say if one is stronger then the other, both are equally good and equally different, they both work in their version of the story and simply swapping scenes between versions wouldn't make one better or worse then the other.

Joe Molotov

I've been meaning to ask for a while, but is Utena a dark mahou shoujo? There's transformations and magical powers and stock footage and monsters of the week, so it kinda seems like it might be.

Gazoinks

I've been meaning to ask for a while, but is Utena a dark mahou shoujo? There's transformations and magical powers and stock footage and monsters of the week, so it kinda seems like it might be.

Uuuuh sort of. It depends how you define Magical Girl series I guess? You got the transformation and ENORMOUS amounts of stock footage, but it's person of the week, not monster of the week, and thematically it borrows more from shojuo romance 'n stuff (I think. Not a genre I'm that experienced with).

Would saying yes encourage you to watch it? :p

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 3

So after a long while, I decided to continue watching this.

Don't really remember why I stopped, because the female MC snarking and inner monologue are so hilarious.

Y is rotten and she's proud of it. The revitalization of manga/doujins was entertaining and those letters would not surprise me if some fans actually wrote something similar to a author.

Gazoinks

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 3

So after a long while, I decided to continue watching this.

Don't really remember why I stopped, because the female MC snarking and inner monologue are so hilarious.

Y is rotten and she's proud of it. The revitalization of manga/doujins was entertaining and those letters would not surprise me if some fans actually wrote something similar to a author.

Heh, I randomly stopped watching this show after episode 2 also. I should go back to it.

Considering people saying how the scene in episode 7 of
Nina being turned into a chimera
was more emotional in 03 then in Brotherhood I feel it's nostalgia. The scene is equally as powerful in both versions and the manga. There are differences but I don't feel it makes one more or less powerful emotionally then the other, they're just different. The actual reveal scene and Ed's confrontation are pretty much identical in all 3 formats, it's how the final scene plays out that changes.

In 03
Military police break in to stop Al, they arrest Shou and take Nina away to test her. Ed tries to save Nina from becoming a science experiment and she escapes running into Scar who destroys her. Ed then comes across the blood splatter and freaks out

In brotherhood/manga
Ed leaves the house planning to report the truth, he angrily shouts why his power couldn't help him to save one girl. Meanwhile Scar enters the house and kills Shou for straying from the path, chimera nina walks up to her father and cries that daddy is hurt before Scar gives her a mercy death

Both scenes give a pretty powerful scene for Ed, one might argue the shock scene in 03 is better then his frustrated yell in the manga/brotherhood. However the 03 version doesn't have the powerful scene of Nina crying
over her father despite what he did to her

I can't really say if one is stronger then the other, both are equally good and equally different, they both work in their version of the story and simply swapping scenes between versions wouldn't make one better or worse then the other.

You make very good points. As you suggested, it most likely is nostalgia. When the show came out in the US I was very young [early teens] and I hadn't yet watched the first anime that turned me into a crying wimp [Wolf's Rain]. So that was probably the most emotionally invested I had been at a scene in any anime. Well not counting the final episode of Cowboy Bebop.

I didn't shed a single tear for Goku's multiple deaths in DBZ. Unlike every kid in my school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom