• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2013 Anime |OT2| The Rise and Fall of Kyoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita 3

So after a long while, I decided to continue watching this.

Don't really remember why I stopped, because the female MC snarking and inner monologue are so hilarious.

Y is rotten and she's proud of it. The revitalization of manga/doujins was entertaining and those letters would not surprise me if some fans actually wrote something similar to a author.

Y is a cutie. I liked her.

Phi brain S3 - 07
Phi-brain proves time and time again that 4 players puzzles are the most fun and the better way to create cliffangers.
Phi%20Brain%20-%20Kami%20no%20Puzzle%20S3%20-%2007%20.jpg

Loving those pictures.
Ah Ah Ah i never bought melancholy path to evil , because since S2 she was trully having fun being bored of her condition, so the revenge didn't fit but i like that enigma is trully confirmed an evil character so much that the brain washing on ratsel is already falling off , even she is still fuelled by jealousy.

Is enigma stupid or what , he is making every strong puzzler of the world his ennemy ..i hope he has a serious plan for later because i don't understand how this can go on at long term at least .

Gazoinks

Yamato 2199 23

Man, these battle episodes get more and more awesome und epic. Good stuff. This actually pretty much seemed like the climax, but we've got three episodes to go.

Norran's sacrifice and Yuki reuniting with Kodai were sweet.

Is it just me or do most of Okita's strategies consist of ramming into things?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Walkure Romance - 01

Main Ship - Celia x Akane
WT9L6zf.png
zFevYOx.png

Secondary Ship - Mio x Bertille
YdyF66D.png
JiYdH9B.png

Oooooooooooh hell yes. Celia is by far the best girl in the bunch, with Akane being the mandatory #2 behind her. #3 would have to be Bertille. Girl has oujosama swag.

Here's hoping the focus remains on the ladies and more importantly more time of Akane daydreaming of Celia.

Anyamal Tantei Kiruminzoo 3

Why can't cats and humans be lovers? Why didn't this come across as an awkward question?

Testicat has the hots for Riko, and stalks her
until realizing she was a child, so he left because he's afraid of being a lolicon. Sure moves to his next target though.

So that's the reason why Transfer student is here? She clearly likes Ken, so I'll call her Barbie for now until I can remember her name
And it looks like Ken will get a Kirumin as well, so hey! solves a problem!

MEANWHILE VOYEURS! VOYEURS EVERYWHERE!

cajunator

Banned
Walkure Romance - 01

Oooooooooooh hell yes. Celia is by far the best girl in the bunch, with Akane being the mandatory #2 behind her. #3 would have to be Bertille. Girl has oujosama swag.

Here's hoping the focus remains on the ladies and more importantly more time of Akane daydreaming of Celia.

Heehee. I was wondering why you werent watching this.

Jintor

Digimon Adventures 02 - DUB - 04

Man, watching this again makes it so obvious how many gags the dubbing team stuffed into this show. RedVegemon beating the shit out of Gabumon gets transformed into a bunch of jokes about how bad rotten vegetables stink, everyone trying to hide the Gabomon turns into a series of terrible jokes about rocks (Matt: "Just because I have a rock band doesn't mean I can hide a bunch of guys made out of rocks!" TK: "Well, couldn't they be your backup singers?" "Matt: Eh, they're too gravelly") and Davis' sister is basically hilariously boy-crazy.

Also, Davis is totally white knighting Kari lol, poor idiot's being a total shithead this episode

Kind of funny why they bothered 'censoring' Gabumon getting the shit pummeled out of him when a) they make it totally obvious and b) they absolutely beat the shit out of Veemon later in the episode without censoring it anyway, though they do make a bunch of terrible cooking jokes while it happens. Oh well!

Tayutama 9-12
It was an interesting series but overall rather mediocore. The girls mainly fell into their tropes aside from Mifuyu and Nue. The series was pretty cyclic. I did not get the ending nor did Ameri getting possessed really affect my emotions. She was just in the way after the first half. Mashiro was the best girl(I can't deny those ears) followed by Nue. The birds were sort of humorous and the episode with panties were the highlights of the show. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this show. there are much better shows of this type out there

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Walkure Romance - 02

fXt7cC8.png
ottPI6D.png

That's right Akane, get your fantasizing on!

X76qlVf.png
ifqqUoU.png

Ohoooooo~

My wishes were granted! And looks like there may possibly be a new ship on the horizon? Wasn't a fan of
Takahiro talking to Celia and accidently spraying her with a garden hose. Get those flags away from my garden!
Come on Mio, even if I need to sacrifice my secondary ship, take MC's heart so Akane can have Celia all to herself!

Heehee. I was wondering why you werent watching this.

I'm asking myself about that right now. :lol

Gazoinks

Yamato 2199 24

B-beach episode? Alright. Okay I guess it was more of a beach interlude.

I'm proooobably reading too much into things, but
did they vaguely imply Starsha was pregnant with Mamoru's child when she put her hand on her stomach and said goodbye? Also what was with the "Goodbye my other self" thing? IS YUKI RELATED TO THEM OR NOT.

This again pretty much felt like a conclusion, but there're still two more to go!

Akira and Melda are ultimate bros now and it's great. If only Melda would stop leaving all the time.

I think it's heavily implied yes. We won't find out till next season/theatrical showings. Which supposedly all point towards them doing a second season. Or at least I'm hoping it's that vs a movie.

I need moar Japanese Star Trek

Walkure Romance 07
That
The Scream parody
at the end was great. It seems like they aren't going to go down an actual character route (not enough time left), so we'll get more stuff like this and an anime original ending.

Gazoinks

I think it's heavily implied yes. We won't find out till next season/theatrical showings. Which supposedly all point towards them doing a second season. Or at least I'm hoping it's that vs a movie.

I need moar Japanese Star Trek

I hope for an even better space beard in season 2 and an equally powerful chin for it to fight against.

Ace of Diamond 07

Chris has the voice and the look like he'll rape you. This does impress me the range that Daisuke Namikawa has though.

I'm sure the doujin pencils are furiously writing one out.

Articalys

So an interesting random point of fact via WTK: Nagi no Asukara seems to have gained a more localized English title/subtitle of Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea on Crunchyroll.

Jarmel

Banned
Macross 15-

Like what the fuck? Seriously what the fuck.
They're just going to keep all 50k of the civilians on board? Hey we're going to keep you as a decoy and make sure that the civilians stay on board while you do so.
This is insanely stupid.

Oh and of fucking course there is going to be a love triangle with the cousin. God damn it.

fertygo

Ace of Diamond 07

Chris has the voice and the look like he'll rape you. This does impress me the range that Daisuke Namikawa has though.

I'm sure the doujin pencils are furiously writing one out.

Really?
Wow.. Namikawa sure should use that kind of voice more often.

Macross 15-

They're just going to keep all 50k of the civilians on board? Hey we're going to keep you as a decoy and make sure that the civilians stay on board while you do so.
This is insanely stupid.

Oh and of fucking course there is going to be a love triangle with the cousin. God damn it.

Ah, Kaifun, how I hate thee.

Narag

Macross 15-

This is insanely stupid.

Kaifun is one of the most infuriating figures in anime. Ever.

Narag

:(

I'm going to be stop enjoying this aren't I? Even when I'm not hatewatching, I'm still hatewatching.

Mmm, no. You'll still like it but he'll piss you off to no end when he's around. Given you really like stories being taken to a conclusion without loose ends, you'll probably appreciate what the show does later.

ME-tan <3
92P5bPm.jpg

WinME was my only OS for over 5 1/4 years, and I thought it was alright... so yeah, ME-tan is probably the best OS-tan. It's not her fault she crashes so much, blame that on Microsoft! And it was a good OS, really. I never regretted passing on XP (no real DOS mode!).

About a week ago I watching Patlabor movie no. 2, after finished its left me polarized whether to think its a good movie or not, after awhile and reviewing my thought I think I come to conclusion that I don't think its a good movie.

Like your usual serious Oshii's movie, the story is tied heavily to thought provoking philosophy discussion.. This time topic is about the modern people culture that too busy dwelling around "peace" while ignoring unjust situation in everywhere.. the villain in this movie organizing event that gonna shake this foundation of belief, that he think can making big collapse anytime.

The dialogue in this movie is very good, and those philosophy talk does very engrossing and fascinating. So what's the problem?

For a movie that telling story where "terrorism" act shaking the whole country, military taking over country security, shit even foreign relationship heaten up .. Its absolutely give no effort to give portrayal of public panic, confusion, and other else.. the philosophy talk just keep going without the film showing the impact of that event the conservation mention. Instead the movie made my mind provoked the end I feel its just empty social commentary, because I'm not seeing the result of said event.

Movie also ignoring the fact the series have giant cast, instead making use of those character the movie just showing 4-5 character back and forth chatting about that philosophy almamater .. I don't get it, why not use those character to proving those philosophy point? Such like they living in "ignorant peace" and the impact that they got due to the mess instead just leaving it in chat bubble.

The movie also have pacing issue, in last 15 minute its like someone just remember that they got to had police mech action somewhere.

Maybe the movie could work better as a book (Well if they not fixing some problem, I wouldn't call it a good book either though) or the case is in much smaller scope, like president assassination plan maybe? Something that worked better as excuse to have story that basically about investigator working with intel, instead pretending the movie gonna cover bigger ground than that.

Yeah, Patlabor 2 really isn't that great. It's alright, but boring and the central message wasn't as original or as interesting as the writer (Oshii I presume) thought it was. Andf yeah. you're right that the social commentary is somewhat empty.

In a lot of ways, the movie feels like a warmup for GitS. It definitely doesn't feel Patlabor related to an extent, unlike the first one. I thought it was clear that Oshii was getting tired of the franchise or had at least outgrown it. It's a very quiet film on a lot of levels.
Yeah, it has next to nothing to do with Patlabor, really.

Log Horizon Episode 7:

Yes, yes, yes I do believe that Log Horizon is hitting its stride nicely as we see the world build that was being done in past episodes being integrated into the this arc as Shrioe is planning on revolutionizing the world, er, somehow though what appears to be a massive Xanatos Gambit. I do like that this had a focus on the economics of the world, indeed this show is at its best when dealing with such things.
Yeah, Log Horizon is definitely better when it's talking about the world and how it works, and connecting that to the ongoing plot the characters are working through, than it is in the fights. So that there have been three straight episodes with minimal combat has been great. :) I hope that continues.

Various bits of news for the Girls und Panzer OVA from the Oarai Anglerfish Festival:

- titled "This Is The True Anzio Battle!"
- two more characters from Anzio will appear: one who was also in the manga, Carpaccio, and a brand new character, Pepperoni

- well-known mecha designer Hajime Katoki is involved
- theatrical screening sometime in the spring

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-19962.html
"True" Anzio battle? So it'll be different from the manga version, I guess? I wonder how... well, I guess we'll have to see. I"m looking forward to it.

Katanagatari 7

As if Konayuki's episode wasn't enough...The feels man, THE FEELS T_T
And that short clip at the ED's end...I'm dead.

So Monogatari is from the same guy? Will definitely watch that, unless by then I've been torn to pieces.
Monogatari is from the same guy, but it's a somewhat different kind of series... I really liked Katanagatari, but the Monogatari stuff... very stylish visuals, at least in the first season, but I didn't like the show anywhere remotely near as much. It's got all kinds of stupid modern anime conventions (harem, fanservice, etc etc) I think, it didn't seem much like Katanagatari at all sadly. Katanagatari has some of that stuff, yes, but not nearly as much, and not in the same way.

Katanagatari 11

I...I...

pJJbRoD.gif
Pretty shocking ending to the episode, wasn't it... :(

I wish it hadn't ended that way (ie, ep. 11's ending and all of ep. 12), but the explanation is that she kind of caused her fate by not quitting on the search for the swords... which is kind of true, but doesn't make it any easier to take, particularly when combined with how ep. 12 ends too.

Katanagatari END

Na0TwDq.gif

This entire series was amazing. I know this because I want to strangle Nishio, that bastard, for what he put me through. Loved every minute of it.
Yeah, great series. I thought it was one of the best of its year; I didn't like how overly depressing it was at times, but it's great overall anyway.

Also, it makes me wish that more TV animes would do the hour-episodes format. It'd be cool to see! Yeah, I know that Katanagatari was unique in that it was a monthly series if I remember right (wasn't it one episode a month?), but still, it'd be cool to see some hour long TV animes. Hour long Infinite Stratos... just imagine the possibilities! :p

A brief history of the popularity of the Oarai Anglerfish Festival, before and after Girls und Panzer invaded it:

Average yearly attendance pre-2012: about 30,000
2012 attendance (just after the show had started airing): about 60,000
2013 attendance: about 100,000
Impressive.

Yep! There is interest in relating symbolism to some visual concepts linked together throughout the plot, but not much outside of that... Mr. Anno himself even brought the word 'pedantry' to the table:

http://eva.onegeek.org/pipermail/evangelion/2004-May/001289.html

But what Mr. Yamaga said about the topic strucks me the most, with the supposed fears of censorship Hideaki Anno felt that could have affected the series as it was airing, and the consequent change of scenario for it he worked on, due to the T&#333;ky&#333;'s 'Subway Sarin Incident':

http://eva.onegeek.org/pipermail/evangelion/2006-September/003693.html
Hah... yeah, that sounds about right. The religious references never really made any sense anyway.

2E582Mv.jpg

Tokyo Ravens 6

Yaoi is acceptable.

Being a lolicon is not.
Well, yeah. Yaoi (and yuri) can involve people of legal age, and usually do. Lolicon can't unless they're anime/manga style pseudo-"loli"s. Because of that, that distinction makes sense.

Also, poor Harutora... usually it's his own stupidity that's at fault, but not this time.

fertygo

She must be fucking blind as he doesn't even look close to Rieber(or whatever that dead guy's name is).

Bahahaha, exactly my thought..
"Sistah, you need to wear fucking glasses"

The series only ended up as device to made me appreciate the retelling movie for me.

Maybe its a thing in the franchise, cause Frontier does exactly the same.. jeez.

Articalys

"True" Anzio battle? So it'll be different from the manga version, I guess? I wonder how... well, I guess we'll have to see. I"m looking forward to it.
Well, the word was &#26412;&#24403; -- "true", "real" -- but I think the context is more along the lines of implying "here's the actual battle instead of skipping over it like we did in the TV airing".

Jarmel

Banned
Macross 16-

31164-Brian-vomit-gif-1ZSg.gif

Not only do we get the start of some almost assuredly shit plot threads, we also get some of the laziest action scenes I have ever seen in anime. Like ever.

The above image was supposed to be a punch. Look at it, that's like Tite Kubo level.

Gazoinks

We both turned into full members at relatively the same time. And are beard lovers. This can only mean one thing.

loF0kqu.gif

Bond restored!
If only this was the Persona thread so I could make a Social Link reference. :p

I need to get back to watching Polar Bear Cafe. I'm gonna start Clannad after Yamato 2199, so maybe that'd be a good counterpoint. >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom