• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veitsev

Last season of anime I watched was kill la kill. some devil working at a mcdonalds, and a couple other shows. Any shows this season or the last that are noteworthy? I like the traditional shonen, action, mecha (gundam gunpla show was cool, gaogaigar, and etc are all cool), non moe, and comedies are fine as long as they arent too muddled into slice of life crap. This new shingeki show seems interesting and I got the first two episodes last night but other than that, I need some guidance.

- Catch up on Chaika the Coffin Princess (action scenes in this one are awesome and well choreographed, characters are great) and Log Horizon if you haven't done so
- Fate Stay/Night: Unlimited Blade Works is good. You don't need to have watched Fate/Zero. In fact it may be better if you haven't. I didn't really enjoy Fate/Zero because it assumes you already know a lot from Fate Stay/NIght.
- Akatsuki no Yona looks pretty good so far.
- Akame ga Kill may be something you are interested in.

Fireblend

Banned
Last season of anime I watched was kill la kill. some devil working at a mcdonalds, and a couple other shows. Any shows this season or the last that are noteworthy? I like the traditional shonen, action, mecha (gundam gunpla show was cool, gaogaigar, and etc are all cool), non moe, and comedies are fine as long as they arent too muddled into slice of life crap. This new shingeki show seems interesting and I got the first two episodes last night but other than that, I need some guidance.

I loved Barakamon this last season, but I doubt you'd enjoy that based on your tastes. This season, check out Fate Stay Night and Shingeki no Bahamut for sure though.

Bahamut 2

I love how fast-paced this is. Escaping the law, surprisingly intense dancing, drunk people, bounty hunting, main character being a trickster douche; it's all just plain fun.

And Amira is damn :cajun

TUSR

Banned

Start with Chaika, I binged it all yesterday and it's definitely worth giving a chance. It's not traditional Shonen, but the action is well done.

Sabagebu 04

C9w2W6f.jpg

Mom is best character.

Momoka's diet seems... wrong.

Veitsev

wow thank you all for the suggestions. I will be looking into all of this tonight when I get home from work. I am excited :D

Forgot to mention a few more

Noragami (interesting world/concept, great characters and action, if you end up liking it just make sure to only watch part 1 of the OVA which is hilarious. Don't watch part 2 as its for manga readers and spoils stuff)
Tonari no Seki-kun: The Master of Killing Time (Comedy, very creative and charming, might be my favorite anime of the year. Only 7 min episodes but there are 21 of em.)

Are you watching the new Gundam series, Gundam: G in Reconguista? If not, you should be.

Midonin

Trinity Seven 02

The color palette and general atmosphere is still a lot darker and more somber than usual for this kind of series, and the contrast of that with the desperation shown in this episode - nothing was actually shown, but still played up - makes for an interesting contrast. Like with Akame, I don't see this mismatch as an error, but rather, what the intended point is supposed to be. Arata may be slightly meta and be relatively unfazed by the weirdness (I think he should be more fazed, but that's just me), but even he can't fully control his powers yet. Weakness, that's good. Also, having another dark-paletted show with Kugyuu playing someone's partner makes for an interesting point of comparison.

Welcome to the NHK - 05

Yeh this was much, much better. I prefer Tatsuhiro having awkward encounters with his former female friend from high school or this still kinda mysterious girl who's trying to help him out.

That said, this episode ended with Tatsuhiro wanting to continue the ero game so fuck me sideways if that keeps taking up large parts of the show :/

Einbroch

Banned
Barakamon - 1-12

Cute show. I'm usually not into these slice-of-life or whatever shows, but I think my favorite part of this was the complete lack of romance. It was just about a guy with issues, a little kid, and an island of troublemakers. Didn't blow my mind or anything, but just a good time.

Naru is too adorable. I really hope they make a Nendo of her.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
The "acute" part was a gross exaggeration on my part but he could have still tried to escape from the smoke alone and leave Amira on her own. He even regrets not doing that at the end: "Why did I go and save her." So I think this episode more or less fits the bill. Especially since he clearly will end up tagging along with her on the journey.

Saoynara Zetsubou Sensei 10

"Do it the proper way" girl aka Chiru is clearly the best.

I love the main theme especially when they play it over the pseudo romantic scenes.
he'd already be branded as a traitor at that point, and he really didn't want to save her at first, no matter the outcome it's completely different than saving her because of a guilty conscience

Somehow Cross Ange managed to be even shittier than I expected after reading the impressions on here. It tries to be exploitative yet censors so much I'm kind of wondering what the point of it all is.

Now I just need the motivation to watch one and a half hours of Fate Stay/Night.

Trinity Seven - 02

Let's be honest, it's just another shitty harem and no, just because the MC wants to bang everyone (but it still won't happen of course) that doesn't make it any good.

Dropped.

Inou Battle - 02

cEl82mi.jpg

Better than the first episode, mainly because of the lack of super powers involved. I could see this show doing just fine without it, it has the characters for it.

Mr.Jeff

WTK posted some Sentai covers on his twitter.
twitter.com/wtk
Man, Reideen '07. That's a blast from the past. Horrifically obvious CG mechs but they grow on your like some kind of horrible fungus until you accept them. I seem to recall liking the silver model by the end.

Fairly average show though but watchable.

Best cover for an anime I never heard of, I hope its as good as the cover makes it out to be.
If you're hoping for some quality male time, there is only a brief confrontation scene between a male antagonist near the end. The rest of the time it's mainly a mixed group of friends, a childhood friend (I think?) and the mysterious girl™ character.

Magic Kaito is so schway. Do we know how many cours it is? I hope Aoyama plays a role and we get the continuation we deserve and the one he can't give in manga form.....

So, new Lupin series to be directed by Kazuhide Tomonaga? Cool, I guess.
Going by ANN, he is a veteran of the industry but has little experience being a director. Not sure if that is a risky or safe move after Fujiko Mine.

He directed Buta for the 2011 Young Animator Training Project.

Jex

More info on that:

"Note: (general director). Yuichiro Yano is listed as director and Yuuya Takashi is in charge of series composition. Production: Telecom"

#breakingnews

Clov

More info on that:

"Note: (general director). Yuichiro Yano is listed as director and Yuuya Takashi is in charge of series composition. Production: Telecom"

#breakingnews

The director of Moyashimon? Interesting. I think I'll check it out when it airs.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha - Episodes 10-13 [END]

A great conclusion to a second half full of some great action and some pretty emotional moments.

It truely is a bizarro version of Gundam but with mages instead of mobile suits so this was definately up my alley. Apart from the slow first 3 episodes + Episode 5 this was pretty damn good and I hope the next series is even better than this one.

I'll take a little break before tackling the next series. Don't want to get through this watchbet too quickly do we!

<<Spoilers below. Skip the rest of this post if you don't want any spoilers>>

Nanoha and Fate have a decisive battle to stop all the fights they keep having. The battle was really well done, Nanoha had definately improved her technique since they first met, actively dodging shots and using diversionary tactics to gain the advantage.

The Bureau start an assualt on Precia Testarossa's version A Baoa Qu to stop her from causing a massive dimentional rift. The battle scenes with the knight mooks was similar to the raid in Episode 25 of Gundam Build Fighters but on a much smaller scale. It was still great to see them all work together to get through the fortress (even if Yuuno couldn't really do all that much due to him not being as powerful as the others).

Later Precia was disowning Fate as her daughter. I mean she had tortured Fate throughout the series but Fate still stuck with her despite all of the abuse she dished out. So it was pretty terrible to see the scenes of her disowning her as at that point Fate knew there was never a bond between them at all and she was just used to be able to bring Precia's real daughter back to life.

Episode 13 was simply an epilouge to tie up all the loose ends in the story, such as Fate's well...fate in the courts, more information on AlHazard, everyone returning home and Fate and Nanoha being friends which was very cute to see.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Turn A 18:
How did Kihel just fight off an assassin who took out two Royal Guards? What kind of fuckery is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom