• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
Amagi Brilliant Park 02

This has a protag with the confidence and swagger of Sora in No Game No Life combined with some high end silliness and a really REALLY cute princess.
Really enjoying this for what it is. Kanye will save them all.
Better than Hyouka.

...................cajun, why?

Trinity Seven - 02
The pacing actually bugs me a lot and so are some of the character designs.

i guess i wouldn't be still watching if i hadn't reaad the manga first .

and character design, and a fun story, more interesting setting, Kanye West, Bonta-kun....
It doesnt have Misaki Sawakiguchi though. thats Hyouka's shining pearl.

Character designs? Mayakaglaring.gif

I'm not sure the story is more 'fun', although that remains to be seen. The setting is at least different, but it seems like it's mostly just going to facilitate typical anime hijinks. But then, I found Hyouka's grounded story to be perfectly 'fun'. Episode 11 was mindblowing, and pretty much the whole second half had me grinning every time I watched an episode.

I know a lot of people felt differently but I really liked Btooom!

It had that great Madhouse vibe to it and the way it paced itself was almost Death Note-ish. I enjoyed my time with it. Plus that OP was awesome.
I'm really, really liking Btooom! so far. It's a lot better than I was expecting it to be. The plot is kinda standard fare, but eh, the action and some of the characters make up for it.

And yeah, the OP for the is great.

fertygo

Hyouka is like 3 years ago anyway, I don't know why you always try to tick the old bomb if you didn't care for it cajun, its fucking tired. You always mention Hyouka shit whenever you can.

Branduil

Amagi is just a better usage of KyoAni's talents.

idhJ71CQ9SFZX.gif

Character designs? Mayakaglaring.gif

I'm not sure the story is more 'fun', although that remains to be seen. The setting is at least different, but it seems like it's mostly just going to facilitate typical anime hijinks. But then, I found Hyouka's grounded story to be perfectly 'fun'. Episode 11 was mindblowing, and pretty much the whole second half had me grinning every time I watched an episode.

Yup. Almost every episode I was grinning. It was fun to watch. I get why some wouldn't think so but the character interactions were what made the show. I think too many were looking for an overarching plot thread when there really wasn't one it had. It just followed a group of fun and interesting characters with great animation and music. Hyouka is definitely one of my favorite KyoAni animes with Clannad.

I laughed more than I should've.

Amagi is just a better usage of KyoAni's talents. Its a neat idea and they will do a great job animating it.

I haven't started this show yet but I am sure it's a fine show. I feel a lot of the stuff KyoAni does is pretty well done. Hyouka was well worth KyoAni's talent pool. That and then some.

Amagi is just a better usage of KyoAni's talents. Its a neat idea and they will do a great job animating it.

It doesn't really feel like a better use of their talents. The style looks far more like the rest of all anime on television.

Plus, I think if you look at Hyouka and then look at Amagi you'll have a pretty clear view of which series KyoAni thinks is more worth putting care into.

Hint: It's Hyouka.

Jarmel

Banned
Plus, I think if you look at Hyouka and then look at Amagi you'll have a pretty clear view of which series KyoAni thinks is more worth putting care into.

Hint: It's Hyouka.

I think you're mixing up production scheduling with company interests. KyoAni from 2012 is in many ways a different company than it is now.

Narag

Mushishi 1

Episode that's given an ethereal nature primarily through dialogue, internal monologue, and a dash of narration with the supernatural imagery supporting it rather than vice versa?
3fCpTDBl.png

Shergal

Remember when Kyoani did around one show a year, two at most, and churned out exceedingly well-made works like K-on!!, Nichijou, Hyouka?

;-;

Mushishi 1

Episode that's given an ethereal nature primarily through dialogue, internal monologue, and a dash of narration with the supernatural imagery supporting it rather than vice versa?
3fCpTDBl.png

Always good to see more people watching this masterpiece.

Remember when Kyoani did around one show a year, two at most, and churned out exceedingly well-made works like K-on!!, Nichijou, Hyouka?

;-;

We just need them to take on some big movie projects again.

I'm really, really liking Btooom! so far. It's a lot better than I was expecting it to be. The plot is kinda standard fare, but eh, the action and some of the characters make up for it.

And yeah, the OP for the is great.

I agree. It was a good time.

---------------------

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 24

And I would've gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids and your Gundams!

Oh I am just gonna bounce off these lasers that surround the earth to get where I need to be in seconds because plot convenience. Also we have a device that can communicate with the Gundam. Just saying lots of conveniences.

Despite all that I really liked this episode. I was never particularly attached to the Shining Gundam's design. The
new Burning Gundam
though is amazing and really cool. Some really well animated bits in this episode. It's like they finally gave it a budget and it actually went through quality checks after 20 episodes in. It's getting pretty good actually.

Domon is tolerable now. So that's a miracle.

I think you're mixing up production scheduling with company interests. KyoAni from 2012 is in many ways a different company than it is now.

I wasn't being 100% serious with that. Obviously, production schedules play a big part in this, and I don't think they'd ever choose to put out a subpar product just because the material wasn't as strong. I think there's less care being put into Amagi than Hyouka (at least going by Episode 2; the first episode did have strong direction), but there's only so much they can do.

I was mostly just responding to the silly notion that it's a better use of their talents than Hyouka.

Yona of the Dawn 2

Really enjoyed the fight betweek Hak and Soo, and the flash forward tease got me very excited for where this series will go. Whoever called this FE the anime basically nailed it, very enjoyable show so far

Jarmel

Banned
I'm curious; how have they changed in the past two years?

Realized that they could make a shitload more money creating anime for IPs they own. Anime for the most part are just advertisements. Why peddle other people's stuff when you can peddle your own wares?

They also truncated their production schedules so we get a lot more from the studio but the animation quality has gone steadily down.

Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de - 01

I laughed way more than i should.

Even the most useless power is still a power. ... and it explains
why , 6 months later , he is still doing that obvious chuuni thing.

fertygo

Nichijou lacks the tryhard otaku pandering and undercooked homogenized aesthetic, so no.

This is the thing that disturb the hell of me though, some crazy notion that KyoAni isn't studio that made show to appeal otaku... And K-ON is somehow part of that. I believe the target audience for all show that you mention as golden age is them.

Clov

Realized that they could make a shitload more money creating anime for IPs they own. Anime for the most part are just advertisements. Why peddle other people's stuff when you can peddle your own wares?

They also truncated their production schedules so we get a lot more from the studio but the animation quality has gone steadily down.

Ah, that's true. Amagi's really been the only exception so far when it comes to that.

Not sure if I've noticed the decline in animation quality so much. While it's true that they haven't made anything as well animated as Hyouka ever since, both of the seasons of Free looked pretty great to me.

I see what you did there.

Hehe. :p

This is the thing that disturb the hell of me though, some crazy notion that KyoAni isn't studio that made show to appeal otaku... And K-ON is somehow part of that. I believe the target audience for all show that you mention as golden age is them.
Something something Disney channel.

Damn I have 16 currently airing anime I'm watching and that's before Toonami and the few back log shows I'm working on O.O

None of the new fall shows I'd consider dropping outside of World Trigger but I liked the manga enough that I'll stick with it till when the story picks up in hopes that Toei is just saving budget for then with these early episodes

Shergal

It's more about how the shows come across -hence 'tryhard'. It's the difference between both seasons of K-On, or having a senior familial figure be a faceless sister instead of a catmom.

I don't really have too much of a problem though, if only the stuff turned out good overall.

None of the new fall shows I'd consider dropping outside of World Trigger but I liked the manga enough that I'll stick with it till when the story picks up in hopes that Toei is just saving budget for then with these early episodes

Why do this to yourself?

Yea this is a super strong season, probably one of the stronger ones we've had in a very long time.
At the very least it's one of the deepest seasons in a while.

I would say it's better than Spring 2012 but I need to see how many shows crash and burn first.

Spring 2012 had Kids on the Slope, Tsuritama, Hyouka, Fate/Zero S2, Space Brothers and Mysterious Girlfriend X. That was pretty stacked.

I don't know that this season can top that unless almost every show lives up to its full potential. If so, then maybe it has a shot (but hell, at this point in that season Fujiko seemed like it was going to be great and Eureka Seven AO seemed promising). More likely it will fall a little short, but it's probably still one of the better seasons of the past 5 years. It looks like a slightly deeper season, but will anything manage to reach the levels of the top shows from Spring 2012?

Spring 2012 had Kids on the Slope, Tsuritama, Hyouka, Fate/Zero S2, Space Brothers and Mysterious Girlfriend X. That was pretty stacked.

I don't know that this season can top that unless almost every show lives up to its full potential. If so, then maybe it has a shot (but hell, at this point in that season Fujiko seemed like it was going to be great and Eureka Seven AO seemed promising). More likely it will fall a little short, but it's probably still one of the better seasons of the past 5 years. It looks like a slightly deeper season, but will anything manage to reach the levels of the top shows from Spring 2012?

Mushishi.

Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de - 02

Still good , despite the lack of focus on the powers.

I guess i'll watch this anime this season.

it's good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom