• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sabagebu 11: Platy's Revenge

0ruoOYw.jpg

Yep.

Also, the guns gets blinged out and Cinderella gets found.

Pocket Monsters Best Wishes 4:
Please stop trying to make Mijumaru the new Pocchama. It's not going to work out. You can't catch lightning in a bottle. This is the biggest problem with Best Wishes so far. It's just soullessly going through the motions. Pokabu's entire story is pretty much an exact copy of Hitokage's, except we've already seen this all before, so it all falls flat. Iris is really the only thing propping up the show so far (well that and the generally strong music).

Then again, since the one new thing the writers on Best Wishes can apparently come up with is 'make the Rocket Gang completely serious and remove all charm from their characters', maybe I shouldn't be complaining about the lack of originality. This is so far below the levels of Advanced Generation and Diamond and Pearl that it's not even funny. It's even dangerously close to Johto levels right now.

How do these work? The way they're drawn implies that they go over the top of her bangs and yet they're partially coloured so it's not a solid black eyebrow??? Why would your eyebrows go over your hair???
There's that or the thick anime bangs are translucent.

It is a mystery.

One Week Friends 2:
Hase really pisses me off sometimes, especially with the way that he was so focused on how much Fujimiya's situation effected him, rather than thinking about her own feelings ('all my hard work'? Get the fuck out of here with that shit). But then I was happy near the end of the episode when he told that obnoxious Kujo off.

There were some nice and sweet moments with Hase and Fujimiya, but then they were sometimes undershot with forced drama. The scene where
she just happens to run into some old elementary school friends while waiting for Hase
felt so melodramatic and out of place. Unlike the natural drama of the early episodes where I felt moved because of how genuine it felt, this feels like the gears turning in order to put the characters in a very specific place.

There were a few other good moments, however. I did like most of the rooftop scenes in this episode, and the scene between Shogo and Saki was pretty funny. I just wish the story wasn't saddled with this Kujo stuff which just doesn't work.

The other real problem I have now is with the amnesia story. I don't mind that the amnesia doesn't make sense from a realism point of view, but now we've got two different levels of losing memories? That just doesn't work at all, and it's the biggest reason why so much of the 'drama' feels forced in this episode.

7taizai performing the best for anime increasing manga sales this season in only its second week.

10. *48,513 *,476,099 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.1
11. *45,629 *,453,452 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.2
16. *40,609 *,424,405 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.3
19. *36,570 *,396,046 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.4
24. *33,583 *,394,860 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.5
26. *30,447 *,383,580 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.6
28. *28,983 *,374,842 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.7
32. *27,927 *,369,899 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.8
31. *28,084 *,354,996 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.9

Sabagebu 12

It's like one of them zombie movies.

A really good episode to end the show.

Hm... This show is a bit of a mixed bag. It has some really funny parts and some not so good parts as well. Most episodes had at least 1 good part though, and the last episode was great.

I mentioned it before and I still think that the mom was the best character in the whole show.
Possibly yet another case of Kikuko Inoue bias. :p

The OP is the normal poppy stuff, but the ED is more fitting for the kind of comedy show like this. Not sure if it's intentional, but whenever Miou sings in the ED it's funny.

It has everything from average to great so I give it an overall score of 3.5/5 ripped Platys:
7yRPtQ4.png
7yRPtQ4.png
7yRPtQ4.png
jygF7Cf.png
aeP4R3T.png

Really really close to a 4/5 though and if every episode had been as good as the last one it might have gotten an even higher score.

Parasyte - 02

Holy shit, that was one of the best anime episodes I've seen...ever I dare say.

I complained about the dubstep in episode 1 but the really quite experimental soundtrack choice worked wonders this episode. For the 2-3 brief moments where it may have felt slightly distracting, it did wonders to the atmosphere overall. Got hyped as fuck towards the end.

And by god, they did really show the
penis arm
. Now it was shown only briefly however I'm still really, really surprised that we actually get that uncensored (a bit blurred but it's clear what you're looking at, especially if you go back and pause, which every last one of you will do!).
Honestly, the fact that they do this is a bigger plus for me than it probably should be. It's just looking at censorship in anime overall and the aversion of showing skin (well bare breasts and genitals anyways)...I'm just glad this even happened.

Migi wanting to give him an erection was also just great. Unlike last episode's boob grab everything felt totally in line this time around.

The 'combat' encounters are still just the way I like them, that is brief and far from generic shonen fights. And it's really quite tense thanks to the strong direction.

Pacing was also quite good. We got character and plot progression. The relation between Shinichi and Satomi as well as Migi is interesting respectively. I especially appreciate that there's logic in Migi's and Shinichi's 'symbiotic' relationship. It's totally believable and was also an interesting part of this episode's encounter with another alien.

Parasyte - 02

Great episode! He's starting to experience the benefits and backdraws of Migi. Pretty interesting hearing Migis cynical view of humans and life in general, and how we're the closest thing to the concept of demons he have encountered.

ypabfq.gif

She's gonna die isn't she

Parasyte - 02

Great episode! He's starting to experience the benefits and backdraws of Migi. Pretty interesting hearing Migis cynical view of humans and life in general, and how we're the closest thing to the concept of demons he have encountered.

ypabfq.gif

How shameless!

Jex

[Parasyte] - 2

Like the second episode of Bahamut was a step-down from the opener, this episode looks noticeably inferior to it's predecessor. Where before the creature would transform in front of our eyes in a disturbing and fluid way, now the scene will cut away and cut back to see the shape has changed. This was to be expected, but it's still a little disappointing.

Everything else was pretty good though. The story is moving along at a brisk pace and everything is coming along nicely in terms of the (limited) cast of characters. One thing I started to notice this episode is how similar Parasyte is to Devilman. Both stories feature:

- Brutal, cruel violence in graphic detail.
- A somewhat bleak world view.
- Lifeforms that mercilessly pick off humans without remorse.
- A fairly average male main character who 'merges' with an alien lifeform and then proceeds to fight with said lifeform against others of it's kind.
- A tension between the main character the power he has merged with.
- The main character's love interest who finds herself impressed/attracted to the main character now that he's become more of a 'badass'.
- Things transforming into other things.

Shergal

I dislike the music direction in Parasyte. It felt like every other scene in ep 2 needed a sound cue to set the mood, and it was hit/miss. It could just have been a problem with the episode direction, but we already got the weird dubstep insert in the previous episode so I dunno.

Parasyte - 02

ypabfq.gif

Parasyte really has a great story and honestly one of the things I liked most is the MC: Shinichi.

Can't wait to watch this.

Neon Genesis Evangellion + The End of Evangellion

So I finally decided to watch this. There's years and years of "hype" so I was afraid it wouldn't live up to it. But it did (up to ep 23). It's a really grate anime, the character development is amazing, the psychological drama is really well one, and the action is superb. But everything goes to hell from ep 24 onwards. It could've been an great mecha anime with some good psychological development but they threw that out of the window and decided to turn it into some philosophical bullshit. Everything that came before felt pointless. But I knew that the ending wasn't so hot, after all The End of Evengellion is a thing that exist. So I watched it hoping it would bring closure. It's ep 25 was much better, but ep 26 was worse than the last 2 eps combined. It takes the philosophical bullshit to another level accompanied with some pretty imagery (and then a vagina appears in giant white Rei's forehead). And I didn't felt it brought closure either. In the end, this came to me as a detriment to the show. They've could done this philosophical questioning, but they really overdid it.

--

Anyway, I'm planing on watching Eve no Jikan this weekend, should I watch the OVA's or the movie?

If you have lots of unanswered questions you should visist eva forums. Spme crazy theories but it makes everything more digestible...?

Anyway glad it lived up to the hype. Evangelion is definitely one of the greatest anime's ever and a classic.

Jex

I dislike the music direction in Parasyte. It felt like every other scene in ep 2 needed a sound cue to set the mood, and it was hit/miss. It could just have been a problem with the episode direction, but we already got the weird dubstep insert in the previous episode so I dunno.

Well, I feel like great music direction generally comes from the director actually having experience with setting scenes to music and/or working with a particular composer regularly. It didn't seem like anyone working on that aspect of Parastye was particularly experienced in the field.

Kansoku

If you have lots of unanswered questions you should visist eva forums. Spme crazy theories but it makes everything more digestible...?

Anyway glad it lived up to the hype. Evangelion is definitely one of the greatest anime's ever and a classic.

Yeah I'm probably going to read some stuff. It's a interesting idea (the ending plot thing), but I think it was poorly executed,

Jarmel

Banned
Parasyte-2

Really enjoying this still. Main character getting cocky with that trash talk.

I've also kind of adjusted to the music. I'm not wild about it but it does its job well enough.

The music bugged me some in the first episode, but I really didn't notice it very much in the second episode. It's not particularly good, but it didn't really annoy me any today.

Welcome to the NHK - 09

It's a dichotomy with this one for me. I despise somewhat all the ero game parts of the show and really enjoy the rest. It's to the point where I'm actually forwarding through the former ones :/

Clov

Another month with me getting no Funimation releases!

Come to think of it, when was the last time I got a new Funimation release at all? It might have been Wolf Children. The last Funimation release I bought was Princess Jellyfish, but that was... quite some time after it came out.

Erigu

How do these work? The way they're drawn implies that they go over the top of her bangs and yet they're partially coloured so it's not a solid black eyebrow??? Why would your eyebrows go over your hair???
Well, it's not like hair is opaque...

fertygo

7taizai performing the best for anime increasing manga sales this season in only its second week.

10. *48,513 *,476,099 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.1
11. *45,629 *,453,452 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.2
16. *40,609 *,424,405 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.3
19. *36,570 *,396,046 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.4
24. *33,583 *,394,860 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.5
26. *30,447 *,383,580 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.6
28. *28,983 *,374,842 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.7
32. *27,927 *,369,899 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.8
31. *28,084 *,354,996 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.9

Nice, hope we getting 2 season ala Magi., or they doesn't had enough material for that,

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Turn A 32:
I feel like I missed the part where Loran learned swordsmanship and could communicate telepathically.

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker Episode 145 (engDub)
tumblr_ndidu61LOR1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_ndidu61LOR1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Kamui with the reality check was amazing. No new cards or anything else for this fight beyond typical great Ethics Buster action made it an alright one. But I love his diligence. Also Recca's friendship moments with Emi and Mai, and eventually Reiji, Eiji, and Kamui made it a friendly episode all around.

not looking forward to his eventual loss next episode maybe :(

Haikyuu! 8:
It seems like everything is starting to come together. I loved Hinata's speech about his feelings spiking and the way he and Kageyama were inspiring Asahi to rekindle his own feelings for the sport. This is pretty standard sports shounen stuff, but it's executed pretty well. I also love Hinata's interactions with Nishinoya. They work really well together as a comedy duo. Also, pretty much every character in this series seems to be a tsundere.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
UNIVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHS

iNXoLNbg6wrN4.jpg

Chaika 2: 2

Eh this episode didn't do it for me. Battle was not very exciting, Red Chaika didn't have enough screen time, and then it was just a bunch of talking and eating. Hopefully next episode is more exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom