• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gundam Build Fighters Try 02

1413375316328ofo62.gif

Hemorrhoids again?

OP is pretty good but it's not HITORI JA NAI. If they just put Domon into this series I will cry. Though judging by the kick Sekai did it'll probably be Mao or Mao's Master
ED is good too.
I will never get tired of people treating Gunpla Battle like the most serious shit in the whole world. Didn't really have any problems with Yuu's whining, but if he keeps it up then it'll probably get annoying (I hope he won't)
Guess we get the Zeon Girl Squad next week. I thought the first episode was a bit better, but I'm really looking forward to the team fights.
And a female Meijin? Omg this show

Parasyte 2

5061_6528.jpeg

I said there was no way they would do it, that it was impossible.
But they did, and I am glad.
God bless you,
Dickarm.

Chaika: AVENGING BATTLE 02

Looks like
the "real" Chaikas have the scar around their neck, and were killed when Gaz got killed, but somehow got resurrected? At least that seems to be what was implied. They didn't mention or show the scar either, but I remember Red, White and Blue had one (not Vivi)
Also in next episode preview, those two black-colored twins are Chaikas. Calling it now.

-Horizon-

Chaika: AVENGING BATTLE 02

Looks like
the "real" Chaikas have the scar around their neck, and were killed when Gaz got killed, but somehow got resurrected? At least that seems to be what was implied. They didn't mention or show the scar either, but I remember Red, White and Blue had one (not Vivi)
Also in next episode preview, those two black-colored twins are Chaikas. Calling it now.

I'm not 100% sure because I may just be misremembering but I think Vivi
had the neck scar at the end as she was getting (un)dressed.
It may have been something else though > <

I'm not 100% sure because I may just be misremembering but I think Vivi
had the neck scar at the end as she was getting (un)dressed.
It may have been something else though > <

Just checked.
She does have it. Now that's interesting. How does that even work? Did she always have it?

Parasyte Episode 2

Man this adaption has been really great so far. There's no stupid censoring that's annoying. And the animation is still good. Also seeing Migi's and Shinichi's views differentiating was nice. Their interactions are well done and the fact we see Migi being a troll is awesome. That
Dick arm
was fuckin awesome and to see it not completely censored made me so happy. Thank you Madhouse you made my day. I would post a picture but knowing I would be immediately banned I'm not gonna do it. But damn seeing Shinichi at the end like that was wicked. Made those little shits piss in their pants.

I know some people may not like the OP, but me I love it. The ending is also enjoyable to listen to. Now onto the dubstep, personally it's freakin enjoyable for me. It really did get me hyped up for some of the scenes. So good.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Build Fighters Try 2

That was good. I like Yuuma much more than the Reiji knock-off. Super psyched that Meijin was in the OP. All hail Meijin Kawaguchi.

Hischool Sega Girls - 02

What a horrible way to setup players lol.
And what a stupid combo chain , trully virtua fighter 1 was flawed.

Next week is space channel ? This can only be good.

Crocodile

*Sees the Admiral got banned O_O*

*Checks post history*

Yeah, that was a fair ban. Hope he's back soon though :(

Gundam Build Fighters Try 2

A good buildup on what went down last time :) I hope they don't go too deep on the possible love triangle or drama possibilities they've set up so far. They really need to give Hoshino a non-shit mech or something. She has the spirit of a warrior but she feels like the Krillin of the group so far - competent and actively engaged in the narrative but way underlevled

*Sees the Admiral got banned O_O*

*Checks post history*

Yeah, that was a fair ban. Hope he's back soon though :(

Gundam Build Fighters Try 2

A good buildup on what went down last time :) I hope they don't go too deep on the possible love triangle or drama possibilities they've set up so far. They really need to give Hoshino a non-shit mech or something. She has the spirit of a warrior but she feels like the Krillin of the group so far - competent and actively engaged in the narrative but way underlevled
She's getting another mech, given that the main one advertised for her was the winning gundam (that sd gundam she has in the opening)

javac

No idea why I've never posted in here before, but I thought that I'd post anyways since it's long over due. I don't watch much anime and I'm more into the 80's/90's stuff so I guess that's why! Watched quite a few stuff recently but I don't want to bore you all with that :p

Getting the Gurren Lagann Blu-ray set in a few days so I'm gonna watch that with my little brother who is hyped to see it!

Midonin

Cardcaptor Sakura 58-70 + Final Thoughts

Magical girl history, it's a wonderful thing. It especially helps that I had two good friends of mine guiding me through the series, pointing out little changes from the manga, laughing at the fun parts, and all of us reveling in how badly the dub screwed things over. (Why would you cut the airport scene? That bear had been built up to for like half the season. Seriously.)

The CLAMP universe is big and covers more genres than just the ones I love, but CCS, as a CLAMP show and a magical girl show, is a classic, and I can see how the anime earned it. "Catch You Catch Me" is a classic theme, and "Platinum" is pretty wonderful, too. The animation is overall consistent, and the show is clearly an influence on many magical girl shows (Nanoha, Illya, even many modern Precures - the collectibles are all there, and only Illya comes the closest in terms of fleshing out the cards. Granted, that's because they're Servants.) and on many non-magical girl shows. Many people say that Sakura was the starting point of moe, at least the terminology, giving a name to the feeling associated with it. Because that feeling has been around forever, I'm sure.

There was romance, there was drama, but in a way that everything ultimately turned out okay for everyone in the end. There was yaoi. There was yuri. There were things that weren't either of those, but damn the Sakura/Tomoyo and Yukito/Touya was strong, even if Sakura/Syaoran ultimately won out. All the cards were cleverly used, and the side characters had a major presence all the way up until the end. Naoko was great, and the dynamic between Chiharu and Yamazaki was always good for a laugh.

Not to mention all those outfits. The stock may have had the same motions, but it was always redrawn with the new outfits, and there were many. I like how that and some of the more merchandisable elements (like Tomoyo's phones) had an in-universe explanation with Tomo's mom literally working for a toy company.

A classic among the magical girl series, I'm so glad I was able to see it. Knowing the broad strokes of something and knowing it in full are very different. I'm really glad CR put it up so I could experience it without having to spring a lot of money for the DVDs. Though I may get those at some point if I have cash to spare.

Gonna watch the second movie tomorrow, officially closing the book on this. Yet, I'm more than satisfied with the TV ending. The series always had a calm tone but a high concentration of emotion, and the finale expressed that in an almost wordless way. (Loved the speaking cameo by Meiling. Having her in the show made things so much better.)

RELEASE!

Clov

No idea why I've never posted in here before, but I thought that I'd post anyways since it's long over due. I don't watch much anime and I'm more into the 80's/90's stuff so I guess that's why! Watched quite a few stuff recently but I don't want to bore you all with that :p

Getting the Gurren Lagann Blu-ray set in a few days so I'm gonna watch that with my little brother who is hyped to see it!

Are you getting the really expensive import set or the not-quite-as-expensive singles (the new BD that has 4 or five episodes on it)?

javac

Are you getting the really expensive import set or the not-quite-as-expensive singles (the new BD that has 4 or five episodes on it)?

Neither, I'm getting the UK Set since I'm from the UK :) Comes with the movies and everything, only cost me £80 which is just under $130.

Clov

Neither, I'm getting the UK Set since I'm from the UK :) Comes with the movies and everything, only cost me £80 which is just under $130.

Ohhh, lucky! You guys always get the best deals on anime BDs there. Plus the UK has the BD of Perfect Blue, which North America is still missing. I'm jealous!

Make sure to take some pictures when it arrives, I'd love to see what it looks like!

Yeah, yeah, I know; I've yet to post my Code Geass review. I'll get to it I promise! But yeah, N.H.K. ...

N.H.K. ni Youkoso! - Series Review

Plot

Usually plots revolving around the life a hikikomori/NEET (Not in Education, Employment, or Training) is filled and solely-dedicated to black humor which is to be expected and, more importantly, enjoyable. N.H.K., however, attempted to include the drama of said life and a bit of a romance which I would say, for the most part, was successful. As such, when I first started watching N.H.K. I was pleasantly surprised in how the show turned out from what I originally thought it to be.

Pacing

N.H.K. isn’t without its share of flaws of course. In terms of pacing the drama depicting Satou’s (our main protagonist) hikikomori life and the obstacles he struggles through to change himself is great. The romance was a bit lacking, however. While in retrospect the character interactions make sense (particularly that of Satou’s) and fit within their respectful characterizations, the romance, while still relevant, didn’t have as much impact compared to the struggles Satou had to overcome. I would hazard to say around 3-5 episodes had romance as the main driver. As such when the ending came focusing fully on the remaining romance plot felt semi-contrived.

Characters

Yamazaki. Best character. N.H.K., without a doubt, succeeds in the supporting character of Yamazaki. Too often in anime are side characters used as plot devices to progress the story and have little relevance in a main character’s growth. Yamazaki is Satou’s growth, literally. Aside from best character, the other side characters are excellent in personifying the many hurdles Satou had to overcome during the show.

Misaki in particular is a character I felt that had a lot of potential. I personally love her character, however, her motivations and backstory were hinted at barely and only revealed during the last few episodes
(this also ties in with the pacing of the romance plot stated earlier).

Music

Enjoyable music all around. I especially enjoy the second ending theme and is one of the few anime-based songs I enjoy for the lyrical meaning rather than the sound of the japanese language. As for the background tracks they serve their purpose and emphasize the many moods of happy, sad, and dramatic well though are not particularly memorable.

Animation/Artstyle

I was actually surprised this anime was released in 2006. While there exists signs of age it doesn’t detract from enjoyment of the show. And yes the show does use low-budget animation but mainly within comedic moments which fit quite well in that aspect.

Ending

The ending
was satisfying I suppose but it leaves you off wanting more, which as already having been 8 years since airing is not particularly good. Stated previously, the ending episodes (and the ending itself) centered around the particular romance subplot that has since been shoved away as background since halfway through the show and while it is nice to have been resolved, it didn’t really leave an impact (even despite me loving the character of Misaki).

N.H.K. ni Youkoso! overall is one of the best animes I’ve seen in a while. Pretty much recommend it to anyone from wake-up calls for young 20-something adults to an attempt at understanding the struggle people have with integrating into society. Very fun but at the same time very real.

Defuser

I just check out Woofington's ban. No pity for him right there if he had bothered to check the front page that is full of slaughtering but instead he have to be a dumbass.

Ojamajo Doremi - 24

The magical girls defeat Majo Ruka's trash mecha (which was on the roof of a building in a city so you'd think someone would see that) and get the shop back!

Only for
Pop to witness the magical stage undoing all the bad charms immediately after that. In other words, here comes magical girl number 4!

javac

Ohhh, lucky! You guys always get the best deals on anime BDs there. Plus the UK has the BD of Perfect Blue, which North America is still missing. I'm jealous!

Make sure to take some pictures when it arrives, I'd love to see what it looks like!

Absolutely! I can't wait to get my hands on it :D

NHK Review

Yeah NHK is probably my favorite show of all time. You truly felt like a fly on the wall in this show since it captures the feeling of isolation really well. You spend soo much time cooped up in this little room that you forget that the show really doesn't take place in many locations and yet the atmosphere is amazing.

The OST is one of my favorites. Seriously.

Kagerou Ressha

Natsu no Nichi ni Youkoso

10/10. The music is perfect, the voice acting is amazing! I watched it with subs, the atmosphere, characters....man such an amazing show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom