• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

Tribe Cool Crew - Episode 2-4

Now on the other hand this is the sort of cartoon which we need more of. I really like how the characters play off each other, especially how the guy is literally a young kid who has a ton of passion but lacks experience and fundamentals, while the girl is older and more knowledgeable about dancing, but lacks a bit of self-confidence. There isn't a bunch of eye-rolling drama either, instead it deals mostly with how different people are drawn to street dancing and how they express it. Very peasant and positive tone, with very attractive character designs.

In particular Yuzuru teaching them how Isolation can be fun by using childish motifs is a great example of how well the show succeeds at being at not just a children's show but also one for all ages. Totally relatable, but also funny and well executed.

TCC has a nice, Saturday morning cartoon vibe, I like it. It's bright, it's funky, it's colorful, it's fun. It's a good show.

fertygo

Seven Deadly Sins-3

That ending was weird. Not so much on the fakeout but the Knight putting his sword away.

Seem like the whole thing also fakeout, the knight had interest to let the crew achieve something but he also want looked he really try to kill them.. If I understand the thing properly.

Jarmel

Banned
Seem like the whole thing also fakeout, the knight had interest to let the crew achieve something but he also want looked he really try to kill them.. If I understand the thing properly.

That was my guess as well but it seems really elaborate and who would be watching and how?

Sailor Moon R 01

iyh3OMC.jpg

Lewd.

New enemies appear, a possible love square and then Usagi gets her memories back. And the aliens are named Ail and An, eh?

Oreca & DraColle Episode 29

Orega Fire with his Bahn and Heat was pretty awesome today, making Oreca Battle a bit better than DraColle. New Oreca character being the transfer student was expected.

DraColle was a step down from the beautiful friendship last week but that is to be expected. Im hoping the dragon evolves.

Shingeki no Bahamut 3

So what the hell happened at the end of this episode? Is he a necromancer or what now.

My assumption is that
Rita had a trick up her sleeve or something. Or Kaisar used the book perhaps?

How she looked at the end gave me the impression that she's mirroring a card now considering the new outfit (and other character designs that seem to be from the cards).

Rhapsody

Banned
Gundam Wing 41-44

Fucking lol, Relena's
career as a queen of Earth didn't last long. Treize just walked out of his prison and effected a hundredth coup in the series. Who needs Gundams when all you need to take over Earth is 10 armed men ?
At least they're seemingly done with the constantly changing allegiances, nonsense character motivations and are finally ready for the end confrontation.

I think I remember hearing that the show was planning to have episodes on the pilots' past but time constraints on getting it done got in the way. If what I'm recalling is true, no wonder the later parts of Wing kinda felt like it had little direction with not a lot happening.

Jarmel

Banned
Shingeki no Bahamut-3

This was a really poor episode in how stuff was framed and the episodic story itself was pretty flat.

My assumption is that

How she looked at the end gave me the impression that she's mirroring a card now considering the new outfit (and other character designs that seem to be from the cards).

Kaisar couldn't have used the book as Favaro destroyed/took it. I have no fucking clue how that ending happened.

Midonin

Someday's Dreamers 04-06

Making magic both a governmental policy and a thing of wonder, extremely limited yet beyond the imagination, is a careful balancing act that this series has been able to pull off petty well so far. The "dining on the moon" and the windchimes sequence were both dreamlike in the way they presented themselves. While episode 5 was nearly entirely devoid of magic, and focused almost entirely on the relations of Yume, Runa and their mothers. Simple stories, told effectively. The show definitely is on the slow side, and the control room that monitors magic usage feels out of place with the atmosphere at times, but I like what I see. That magic can only deal with pain, and not bring people out of a coma, tells me a lot about how it works in this world. It renders a miracle of magic into the small, everyday moments of life instead of something that alters the fabric of the universe. Which is true, miracles come in many sizes.

Cross Ange 03

You know what makes battle scenes have a sense of danger to them? Having lots of fanservice spliced inbetween it! /Sunrise Logic

I guess now that Hulu's Sailor Moon stream has gotten to R I should actually finish it up and move to S. But maaaaaaaaan that first arc fucking sucks and killed my will to do so.

VRMN

I guess now that Hulu's Sailor Moon stream has gotten to R I should actually finish it up and move to S. But maaaaaaaaan that first arc fucking sucks and killed my will to do so.
What, you mean you didn't love all character development being reset for more monsters of the week with an excuse plot to bridge them back to the manga?

Shingeki no Bahamut-3

This was a really poor episode in how stuff was framed and the episodic story itself was pretty flat.

Kaisar couldn't have used the book as Favaro destroyed/took it. I have no fucking clue how that ending happened.

I actually liked this episode, but I agree that I am not exactly sure why the Mom bit her or any of the stuff that happened after that point.

Gundam G Reco 3

X5yBxir.jpg

RsVI8Oi.jpg

This was an awesome episode. I'm starting to enjoy how crazy and whimsical this show is. Random butt grabs, dudes pooping it up inside mobile suits with a bunch of girls with weird music on, jungle animals showing hilarious expressions. Its awesome!

Also, werent there supposed to be 2 G-Selfs? The one Raraiya fell from in episode 1 that the army took and the one that Aida came on board with? What happened to the other one? Or am I missing something?

I love how Aidas a prisoner but she just walks around does whatever the hell she wants.

Crocodile

Bahamut - Genesis 3

The color palate was a bit dark for my tastes but I was a fan of the art direction for this episode. A bit more heavy on the exposition but it did a great job on filling in some of the blanks, especially for Kaiser and his character. Rita seems fun. I guess the crew forms in earnest next episode?

My assumption is that

Shes was a human who had extended her life for 200+ years using black magic. I think the assumption is that the zombification process would work differntly on her than on a normal person.
I actually liked this episode, but I agree that I am not exactly sure why the Mom bit her or any of the stuff that happened after that point.

As far as I can tell,
she lost control of the zombies when she stopped chanting to protect them.

duckroll

Shingeki no Bahamut 3

So what the hell happened at the end of this episode? Is he a necromancer or what now.

She's a necromancer. She doesn't need the book to keep herself alive or control zombies. The book was what created the illusion of the town being alive to everyone else. Presumably after Kaiser didn't decide to kill her, she regained control of her body and fixed herself.

Jex

Gundam G Reco 3

Also, werent there supposed to be 2 G-Selfs? The one Raraiya fell from in episode 1 that the army took and the one that Aida came on board with? What happened to the other one? Or am I missing something?

You are. That's the same machine.

At the start of episode 1 Raraiya is inside the G-self, falling. The Capital Army and the Amerian Army are in pursuit. The Capital Army took Raraiya as she fell, the Amerian army took the G-Self. Later, Aida pilots the G-Self.

duckroll

At the start of episode 1 Raraiya is inside the G-self, falling. The Capital Army and the Amerian Army are in pursuit. The Capital Army took Raraiya as she fell, the Amerian army took the G-Self. Later, Aida pilots the G-Self.

It's not the Ameria Army. It's just the pirates. Most of them are from Ameria, but they're a different faction, not working under the Ameria military.

Jarmel

Banned
She's a necromancer. She doesn't need the book to keep herself alive or control zombies. The book was what created the illusion of the town being alive to everyone else. Presumably after Kaiser didn't decide to kill her, she regained control of her body and fixed herself.

Well she did a shitty job as one of her own bit her. I thought the book was controlling was her and when she lost the book, the zombies went out of control biting her. Also aren't necromancers usually restricted in reviving themselves.

It's not the Ameria Army. It's just the pirates. Most of them are from Ameria, but they're a different faction, not working under the Ameria military.

Not directly. They seem to be funded and sponspored by Ameria, just not an official branch.

AH Gotcha. I need to rewatch that scene again. Assumed it was just one group that was chasing after Raraiya. That clears a lot of things up, thanks!

Jex

AH Gotcha. I need to rewatch that scene again. Assumed it was just one group that was chasing after Raraiya. That clears a lot of things up, thanks!

That's not your fault, the direction is awful.

Correct.
Cross Ange 3

Well, at least
the rapist is dead.
I think you mean the noble, heroic leader who lover her subordinates.

duckroll

Not directly. They seem to be funded and sponspored by Ameria, just not an official branch.

They seem more like rebels who managed to attract some very important people to their cause. I think they're trying to recover artifacts and steal energy to build up their own arsenal, maybe in hopes that it will allow their ideology to triumph in Ameria. The Ameria Army seems to use different mobile suits anyway.

Jex

Super jelly right now. I've ordered mine from Amazon, but apparently they didn't receive enough copies to send me one. I'm kinda worried now if they'll have more in stock soon.

:(

I mean, they've got 2000 copies available so I severely doubt they've sold all of them already.

cajunator

Banned
There is actually a substantial number of quality shows this season, such as Rage of Bahamut, Shirobako, Parasyte, and Mushishi.

Also Twintails and Celestial Method

Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru-1

This is Madoka without Shaft/Urobuchi. The scriptwriter for this is Makoto Uezu who actually is pretty good. He did School Days, Humanity has Declined, My Bride is a Mermaid, Kamisama Dolls, Carnival Phantasm, and Katanagatari. The music is obviously reminiscent of Kaijiura's work in Madoka with the heavy emphasis on vocals in the later half. I know the director Seiji Kishi, for Carnival Phantasm and My Bride is a Mermaid. I've seen Kamisama Dolls as well and thought a number of scenes in there were pretty well directed. So the staff behind this are for the most parts capable.

The episode itself is pretty slow but it picks up in the 2nd half. The 2nd half has some really great magical girl transformation sequences and smoke effects. The characters are CGI at times when they're jumping around, which is sort of weird but it's not a big deal at all.

Honestly I'm not sure what to make of it, as there was a sense of isolation and otherworldliness similar to Madoka in the 2nd half but I don't know if that's enough for a full 13 episodes.

Theres a foreboding feeling permeating this show. Like it wants to pull a Madoka but doesnt want to seem like its ripping it off. But it has a very sinister undertone developing that makes me fear the worst.
I will be paying close attention for certain cues, that is for certain.

Pretty Cure Splash Star 01 - 03

They really didn't stray very far from the Futari wa formula with this show, did they?

They really havent, and Splash Star and Futari Wa are both good, but avoid Max Heart because it is evil and wrong. I do wish they would bring back Nagisa and Honoka, even in cameos.

Code Geass 10

Hey this is okay when the highschool hijinx is cut down to a minimal.

Zero obtains an OP mech. Orangey stand there and takes it. For honor.

Oh just you wait. This show is gonna skullfuck you :)
And you will LIKE it.

YZd1VB2.png

WHATS WRONG WITH YOUR FACEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Type Moon syndrome. Its amazing that they actually screwed up Rin given that even Deen got it right.

Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru-2

The older girl is going to die isn't she? The whole thing feels a bit too artificially happy.

I hope not! It does give me uncomfortable feelings of dread.

They're all similar.

Nah, that honor goes to Hirai.

Both of those could only loosely qualify as "designs". they are so utterly generic "anime face" that its kind of ridiculous that they even pass muster.

Code Geass 12

This episode.

Zero's harem isn't zero.

I have no idea who this is.
Gaze from afar.
I put my absolute faith in a masked man.
Mysterious witch of green haired maidens
aka worst girls

Umm... Why is writhing to pictures of the princess? What?

Well fuck.

What a rollercoaster from harem filling to lesbian pleasuring to
daddy killing

Wait, C.C. worst girl? WHAAAAAAAT? We're gonna have to have a little chat...

cajunator

Banned
Celestial Method 03

Noel's design reminded me of Syanon from Okiba ga nai!, and it's not just design, her character type and function are pretty similar, too.
She's the personification of the saucer that everyone summoned when they were kids.
This is going to be conflicting for Yuzuki. She hates the saucer, but she loved Noel and called her cute and wanted to hug her when they met. Shione getting a bit more screentime was also good. This show's flying under the radar in a season that has a lot of other good things going for it, but it's one of my favorite parts of Sunday. Mysterious, lightly dramatic, peaceful. A good show to become invested in.

This show is gonna make me sad at some point I just know it. It has that melancholy feel to it and will inevitably have cuties crying their heart out and it will rip me up.

[Cross Ange] - 3

The Elfin Lied or So Ra No Woto of Cross Ange.

I think I understand where you're going with this because there is only one common element in those two shows and its not pleasant.
See also: Juuden-chan

kaiji2-3-nose-nonose.png

Why do some anime lack noses :/

Because button noses are always super cute. However, a true master can achieve cuteness WITH noses. KyoAni is bush league.

Hanayamata 09

Hm... Is that blushing fingers? Guess I should have spotted that earlier, but...

Well... It's the sister drama episode.

I love the art style so much. It has a soft ethereal feeling befitting faux-yuri light drama.
One of the most pleasant shows to watch.

I got a thing.

Actually, two things.

Had some Amazon credit to spend.

You have great tastes.

Finally made it to AnimeGaf! Been lurking for 2 years and finally got an university email to register. Ironically because of uni work I probably won't be able to post here as regularly as I want to
and I figure you guys don't want a daily reminder that Despera is dead anyway
I've got a lot of good anime recommendations from here over the years, many thanks for that. On that subject can you guys recommend me some sad/tearjerking anime? I'm kinda burnout on anime atm and want to be passionate again. I never cry watching anime but Millennium Actress was the one that got the closest to get me to. Gundam 0080, Texhnolyze and Tsuiokuhen were good gut-punches too.

Welcome! You are a good person I can tell already. AnoHana is a good tearjerker but it is an uneven series. Worth watching for the ending though.

Yeah it started out with promise and I like the theme of the story but then...I don't know. The sobfest at the end was more awkward than tear-inducing for me. I guess they tried too hard to make me cry and it backfired.

You know I still use this whenever I need to get a song stuck in my head out.

Oh that's the one with the main character who looks like that ace pilot from Yamato 2199. Yeah added. Kaiba too, my experience with Yuasa is kinda limited to just that one ep from Champloo. Thanks for suggesting.

Ouch, a whole season? Hope I don't get banned before then. Thanks for letting me know.

The simplest way to survive is to stay in this thread, do not post anything spoilerish or NSFW, do not insult people, and stay the hellfuck out of gaming side.

Girlfriend (Betai) Episode 2:

Does the one called SD Burton still even post here, because yea, this seems t obe the yuri show of the season.

Youve gotten my attention

Hanayamata 12

It's finally over.

So that 'Is the Order a Rabbit?' show was the worst Manga Time Kirara show I had seen so far, but this one is actually worse. In addition to not being funny, just like that Rabbit show, this one also got bad drama in every single episode. At least finish introducing the characters before getting bogged down in drama. Holy Christ almighty. Even the flashbacks are full of sad stuff.

The character designs are... Well... The eyebrows are a bit strange, and giving Hana vampire fangs wasn't maybe the best of choices...

Only good thing here is the OP... And I guess Tami is alright. Yosakoi itself seems slightly interesting, but holy shit, not like this.

1/5 Yosakoi Club logos:
U28bdhc.png
qZPS9I4.png
qZPS9I4.png
qZPS9I4.png
qZPS9I4.png

Vecks

Bahamut 3

I really like this series. Nothing particularly stood out this episode for me, but it's just simply entertaining throughout. The main story didn't move much, but we did finally get the back stories on some of the characters.

Well she did a shitty job as one of her own bit her. I thought the book was controlling was her and when she lost the book, the zombies went out of control biting her. Also aren't necromancers usually restricted in reviving themselves.

Usually. But it's their own show, so they don't have to follow any specific rules, unless it goes against the lore of the game it's based on, which I know nothing about. From the way their final conversation went, it sounds like as long as her head/brain is fine and connected to the body, she should be able to restore herself. As for the being bitten--just before that, it looked like she lost control of all the zombies. I just assumed it was due to her emotional state since her parents' bodies were still special/important to her.

cajunator

Banned
Girlfriend Beta 02

For fans of Sakura Tange's Engrish, this episode continues to deliver. That's also why I got a kick out of this part.

Also because the star of the episode was Nao Miyoshi, played by Mayayan. Her voice is pretty distinct, and a sleepy character like Nao is one I haven't really seen from her. The diet storyline of the episode wasn't too bad. I think stock plots are the order of the day here, because it's all about the girls. The slowest and most peaceful of Sunday's shows. Plus I'll watch almost any daily life/heartwarming anime. It's working for me.

SAKURA TANGE SAKURA TANGE SAKURA TANGE SAKURA TANGE SAKURA TANGE SAKURA TANGE SAKURA TANGE SAKURA TANGE SAKURA TANGE SAKURA TANGE SAKURA TANGE SAKURA TANGE SAKURA TANGE SAKURA TANGE SAKURA TANGE SAKURA TANGE SAKURA TANGE SAKURA TANGE SAKURA TANGE SAKURA TANGE

And she plays Chloe Lemaire? Isnt that the character a bunch of Japanese were laughing at? shes a cutie anyway. Plus SAKURA TANGE
Will watch.

I only hang out here and actively avoid fanservice-y anime nowadays so I guess I'm good? (with the exception of Grisaia this season since I read the VN and wanna see if they can adapt the humor).

I was on ep 2 of Gunbuster before school start and I kinda trail off. Hmm, I always thought it was more on the epic space mecha side of things, rather than tearjerking. Will continue, thanks.

You should be fine if you are actively trying to avoid a ban.
I dont think youll have any problems.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's - Episode 1

Let the watchbet resume!

They really aren't holding back any punches in this one. Streight away and they put Nanoha in the middle of something big again, she really can't catch a break!

The battle was great fun and shows how much better Nanoha is at being a mage since we last left off.

What a great start to the series!

I love how this show took an OP Nanoha and dropped her into something that brought everything to a whole new level and she was totally out of her league again.
Like putting the difficulty on nightmare mode and forcing her to adjust immediately.

Someday's Dreamers 01-03

This feels like something that could be live action. I know there's already a movie based on the same material, and while I don't watch live action stuff that's not toku very often, it may be a fun experiment to compare the two. This is very bureaucratic take on magic, and making something so mundane and studied until it's treated like that could (and has *sideglance*) result in it being dull, this show...

...does not. Because an interesting world is for the guidebooks, but interesting characters are for the storybooks. Yume's mage apprenticeship still maintains very human motivations for wanting to do magic. Love, fear, second-guessing oneself. Even with all the government instructional videos, magic still feels... well, magical. Not an easy feat.

I like the OP and ED, very peaceful. Also more male chests than I was expecting in episode one. It's a unique show based on these first three episodes, and Yume being voiced by someone who was a live actor before becoming a VA lends her voice a unique tone.

Anime really can be so many things.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Finally somebody watched this <3
I love the light airy feeling of the art and Yume is super adorable. the show also has some manservice if yall like that sorta thing.
The first thing that attracted me to this series was the artwork, and the anime looks noticeably different but still retains hat pleasant feel to it.
There is another Somedays Dreamers series called Sora that you may want to check out as well.

Sailor Moon Crystal 8

Holy crap she just kissed him outright! I don't think that's even happened yet in the original series yet! Overall very enjoyable episode Minako has more of a personality in this one episode then in all of the original series. I really am in love with this pacing and action scenes that aren't just stock footage a thons. Great episode

I asked my roommate about it because she was watching it, and she said that Crystal actually goes through one manga volume per episode. So basically the original series was like 90% filler! I had no idea they made up that much stuff.
Guess I understand the monster of the week format it had now.

Ore Twintail ni Narimasu 1-2

lol this is so hilarious. So stupid.

Hahahahahaha.

Indeed. Anime of the year. People will eventually understand.

phaze

That was my understanding as well.

Rhythm Emotion really captures the tone for the final episodes.

I thought it was an upgrade.

Admittedly Communication has been hard wired into my brain for time immemorial but this new one really does nothing for me.

I typically rewatch Wing every year or so, and it never fails to disappoint me how badly the politics in this show collapse.

It really is terrible and I feel bad for trying to take it seriously at the beginning.

Shingeki no Bahamut 4

It was a fine episodic story and an introduction to what I assume is the 4th member of the crew. Rita > rest. I think the production values took another hit. Still looked pretty good though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis 03
Really impressed with how this show is holding everything together. This was a great episode to have around Halloween, and it sold the gloomy aesthetic exceptionally well. The distant flashbacks actually had something resembling dialogue, we got specific character backstory for multiple characters and it actually fit the context of the situation. Even though it's pretty obvious how characters relate to and feel about one another in this show, Bahamut actually has a lot of good facial expressions that go a long way towards showing that the characters care about each other. For a show that's about people who are openly self-centered it makes everyone just seem more endearing and connected to one another.

Shingeki no Bahamut-3

Now that I think about it more I think it was
all part of her plan. She said numerous times that she was "tired of playing family". And technically she achieved that by the end of the episode.

Cross Ange 3

Didn't expect the body count to increase this episode. But everything's going to be alright now that Stella has the Destiny Gundam.

mankoto

Garo: Honoo no Kokuin 3
So if I'm understanding this correctly, with this contract, Leon will be able to control his powers, but at the cost of Zabura having control every new moon.

Hellsing Ultimate IX 3

Teenage Walter's
voice, I don't really recognize. Newcomer, Prehaps?

Edit: Ah Okay, so she played Makoto in SSF4. Seems most of her roles are working with New Generation Pictures.

Jex

How can you put a spoiler in a post with literally no context. not even a series let alone an episode? How does that work?

How can you put a spoiler in a post with literally no context. not even a series let alone an episode? How does that work?

Well I did mention Hellsing Ultimate a few posts back. It would make sense that I would be referring to Hellsing Ultimate with these posts. Regardless I'll stop doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom