• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Serial Experiments Lain 01

lain1zvo4a.png
lain22xorj.png
lain3x5pi0.png
You know, when a show starts its story with a high school student jumping off the roof, I can't help but feel that it is not going to end on a particularly happy note. Like, with rainbows, smiles, happiness and stuff. So Yomoda Chisa, our suicidal jumper, might be dead but that doesn't stop her from sending emails to the students of her school, including of course to our newly met heroine, Lain. (Who I could swear I saw on some promo artwork as an adult and not a chibi teenager. Time skip incoming ?) Lain herself is clearly not a perfectly normal girl though whether what she sees is real or in her head only I can't yet tell.

It was not a very fast paced or action packed episode but it did enough to sink its hooks into me. So far it feels like a bit lighter and more talky Texhnolyze with a bit of GitS themes thrown in. There are the very similar long bouts of silence, akin lighting and environmental shots and the same pervading sense of melancholy and mystery. Good stuff.

Edit: Checked the staff and the producer of this also did Shigurui and Texhnolyze. Should be good then.

You know, when a show starts its story a high school student jumping off the roof, I can't help but feel that is not going to end on a particularly happy note. Like, with rainbows, smiles, happiness and stuff. So Yomoda Chisa, our suicidal jumper, might be dead but that doesn't stop her from sending emails to the students of her school, including of course to our newly met heroine, Lain. (Who I could swear I saw on some promo artwork as an adult and not a chibi teenager. Time skip incoming ?) Lain herself is clearly not a perfectly normal girl though whether what she sees is real or in her head only I can't yet tell.

It was not a very fast paced or action packed episode but it did enough to sink its hooks into me. So far it feels like a bit lighter and more talky Texhnolyze with a bit of GitS themes thrown in. There are the very similar long bouts of silence, akin lighting and environmental shots and the same pervading sense of melancholy and mystery. Good stuff.

Patience is a virtue with this show

Jex

Well I did mention Hellsing Ultimate a few posts back. It would make sense that I would be referring to Hellsing Ultimate with these posts. Regardless I'll stop doing it.

I'm not particularly bothered by it, so don't take this as some aggressive rebuke. It's just a matter of thread readability. In general this thread moves at a pace where it's pretty hard to follow any particular line of conversation so it's just helpful to have everything tagged correctly.

You know, when a show starts its story a high school student jumping off the roof, I can't help but feel that is not going to end on a particularly happy note. Like, with rainbows, smiles, happiness and stuff. So Yomoda Chisa, our suicidal jumper, might be dead but that doesn't stop her from sending emails to the students of her school, including of course to our newly met heroine, Lain. (Who I could swear I saw on some promo artwork as an adult and not a chibi teenager. Time skip incoming ?) Lain herself is clearly not a perfectly normal girl though whether what she sees is real or in her head only I can't yet tell.

Edit: Checked the staff and the producer of this also did Shigurui and Texhnolyze. Should be good then.

Someone is trying to guess where LAIN will end ( as a story ? )

This should be very entertaining to read

I'm not particularly bothered by it, so don't take this as some aggressive rebuke. It's just a matter of thread readability. In general this thread moves at a pace where it's pretty hard to follow any particular line of conversation so it's just helpful to have everything tagged correctly.

Fair enough, I'll edit my posts so It's clear that I'm talking about Hellsing Ultimate.

Crocodile

I'll comment and say that I'd appreciate some clue as to what the spoiler boxes might refer too. I highlighted one out of habit only to learn it was a spoiler for a show I was actually watching on Toonami. I didn't see it was about HS:U until I scrolled up a bit.

zulux21

I just found out Hellsing Ultimate vol 9-10 is on Funimation's website in English.

I know what I'm doing this afternoon.

sweet... the time has finally come... I can actually watch hellsing ultimate. I have only seen the first episode... I have been waiting for it to be fully out in english all of these years @_@. (the japanese was fine, but it wasn't crispan freeman as alucard fine)

cajunator

Banned
SMC is bad.

Its not the greatest but apparently it is sticking way closer to the manga.
On another note my roommate actually said she loves the art style and thinks its better than the original style. I dont agree.

Gugure! Kokkuri-san 03

No FeMC-kun today, kids, just MC being a dick to Kokkuri since he has nothing else to do.

We get a teaser for Kohina's past, why she acts like a doll

Kohina still loves Instant Ramen, MC-kun has some perverted suggestions to rectify this

Looks like next week We get the NEET old drunk guy in here
vuXU1OJ.png

The OP is still da bes
http://a.pomf.se/ogrdml.webm

That ED reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3QBeRCKnE0

sweet... the time has finally come... I can actually watch hellsing ultimate. I have only seen the first episode... I have been waiting for it to be fully out in english all of these years @_@. (the japanese was fine, but it wasn't crispan freeman as alucard fine)

I would hate having to choose between Joji Nakata's Alucard and Freeman's. I watched the series twice just to get both.

Midonin

InouBattle 03

The subtitle for this anime was "inou-battle within every day life", and as of this episode, I'm starting to see why. Some drama is coming into the show. I don't mind that, if anything, when it comes to drama, I spend most of my time trying to figure out what the sweet spot for the Western fandom is. It's a challenge to come to any sort of conclusion.

As a self-declared translator, and friend of other people interested in translation, I like that half the episode is focused on kanji puns and Japanese wordplay jokes. It helps when one's been immersed in the Japanese language for so long that one gets them. The part about "watching anime for their voice actresses," speaks to me. Just like my love of Maaya Uchida speaks to this thread on a regular basis.

Then there was that whole discussion on the nature of chuuni. I think, like many light novels, it's not exactly condemning it. A lot of people like these parts of anime fandom and don't want them to go away, but that doesn't mean they can't be examined, picked apart, and then put back together to realize why they're good. Chu2Koi dealt with that via narrator, while here, it's talked about in a more meta sense.

And it ties into why Jurai and Souji are my favorite main characters of the season. Because they're not stoic badasses that play into what people expect them to be. They're passionate, not afraid to make fools of themselves, and ultimately kind-hearted. That's a good place for things to be at.

If the value of an anime is given in how much it gives material to talk about, then I'd say this show is doing its job pretty well. (What's going on with Chifuyu? Did one of her friends find out?)

zulux21

I would hate having to choose between Joji Nakata's Alucard and Freeman's. I watched the series twice just to get both.

to be fair a lot of my wait wasn't just for the english version but the episodes in general... I didn't like having a year plus in between episodes so I just decided to wait until they were all out... and then what was another year for an english dub at this point as Freeman is my wife's favorite english voice actor, I am not sure who her favorite japanese VA is, Kazuya Nakai is likely up there though. (she really likes Zoro from one piece :p)

The final wait was partially due to the fact that I wanted to be able to focus on everything on screen instead of having some focus on reading subtitles. If hellsing ultimate had released in a timely manor though I likely would have just watched it as it came out like I do most other shows.

Jex

[Cross Ange] - 1 through 3

So, there's no need for this, but I actually have a critique of this series outside the obviously offensive elements. Essentially, it's to do with the shows own morality vis-à-vis it's treatment of the protagonist, Ange.

An extremely important part of this 'opening act' to the story is that our spoiled, racist princess protagonist is a 'bad person' because of how she treats the 'minority' people. Her constant disregard for their worth as human beings, much to the disgust and revulsion of members of that said minority, is how the show 'justifies' the suffering she goes through. Leaving aside the fact that her punishment is disproportionate to her crime, I feel the show makes a more fundamental mistake in assuming that she's done anything wrong at all. This is really important because the constant suffering and abuse of the protagonist is only justified by her wrongdoing. If she has done nothing wrong then the show lacks any kind of rationale for what it's doing to her.

The problem with the morality that the show presents is that it just doesn't add up. Ange is certainly a 'racist' with regards to how she views and treats the minority characters, but the show never questions how her racist views were formulated. This is a big problem because everyone in her country apparently shares the same views. Moreover, Ange being a spoiled Princess with no real world experience lacks the chance to run into different points of views. She's effectively brainwashed by her upbringing. This means that everything she does is as a result of said brainwashing, effectively absolving her from responsibility for her actions. This makes her barbaric punishment even more unacceptable than it already was.

If the show had wanted to strengthen it's argument that Ange must suffer for her racist views then it would have to actively demonstrate occasions where she had the ability to learn otherwise and encounter new ideas but where she rejected that chance. It does not.

In the grand scheme of things this kind of writing problem doesn't matter at all in a show this trashy, but I still feel it's worth bringing up.

phaze

Are you trying to clear all the works of Chiaki J. Konaka?

Nah. Was just looking for something with similar vibe to Texhnolyze and this looked like a good fit. Didn't even realise they share writer and producer till now.

You may be a serious contender. Early Technolyze eps probably had like what, 5 lines of dialogue?

Something like that yeah. Ichise went through a few eps without uttering a single word.

Branduil

So, there's no need for this, but I actually have a critique of this series outside the obviously offensive elements. Essentially, it's to do with the shows own morality vis-à-vis it's treatment of the protagonist, Ange.

An extremely important part of this 'opening act' to the story is that our spoiled, racist princess protagonist is a 'bad person' because of how she treats the 'minority' people. Her constant disregard for their worth as human beings, much to the disgust and revulsion of members of that said minority, is how the show 'justifies' the suffering she goes through. Leaving aside the fact that her punishment is disproportionate to her crime, I feel the show makes a more fundamental mistake in assuming that she's done anything wrong at all. This is really important because the constant suffering and abuse of the protagonist is only justified by her wrongdoing. If she has done nothing wrong then the show lacks any kind of rationale for what it's doing to her.

The problem with the morality that the show presents is that it just doesn't add up. Ange is certainly a 'racist' with regards to how she views and treats the minority characters, but the show never questions how her racist views were formulated. This is a big problem because everyone in her country apparently shares the same views. Moreover, Ange being a spoiled Princess with no real world experience lacks the chance to run into different points of views. She's effectively brainwashed by her upbringing. This means that everything she does is as a result of said brainwashing, effectively absolving her from responsibility for her actions. This makes her barbaric punishment even more unacceptable than it already was.

If the show had wanted to strengthen it's argument that Ange must suffer for her racist views then it would have to actively demonstrate occasions where she had the ability to learn otherwise and encounter new ideas but where she rejected that chance. It does not.

In the grand scheme of things this kind of writing problem doesn't matter at all in a show this trashy, but I still feel it's worth bringing up.

You're expecting a reasonable depiction of institutional racism in a trashy mecha exploitation show?

gdgd Fairies 12

More touching than Hanayamata :p

Hm... Some good parts and some bad parts here. The best was the Magic Room segments and the previews. The table talk parts reminded me of a bad Lucky Star and the Dubbing Lake... Well... The voice actors had fun with those parts at least...

The show itself looks like somebody bought a cheap 3d model pack and made a show on a shoestring budget using only those models. Often you can hear that they recorded the voices in a booth as well.

One of those non-sense OPs here as well, and the ED has some interesting dancing.

Some of it was funny so it gets 2/5 Utah teapots:
LKkXz1h.png
LKkXz1h.png
5rtxLnZ.png
5rtxLnZ.png
5rtxLnZ.png

cajunator

Banned
lol Kokkuri san was cute/funny as usual

I have to say I am loving this new season so far

Parasyte
Tera Formars
Kokkuri san
Psycho Pass

and a few others. Good stuff all around

Parasyte is probably the best anime of the season qualitywise/storywise.

Log Horizon S1 Ep 25

10/10 bright noas

Log Horizon S2 Ep 1

the art change is like gunslinger girl s1 to s2 ...

yo DAMN. But its kind of true. Very noticeable changes.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 48

Even when I was watching this back in the day this arc made me restless and this episode reminds me why. I suppose technically speaking Ali and Ann are more developed villains then Beryl and Metalia were but that is not saying much. I suppose the trade off is they are just not menacing or threatening in the least, they always came across as seat warmers to me. Anyway, this episode was all about getting the band back together and thankfully it only takes them an episode to accomplish this and now I can forget the stupid amnesia angle.
Also, in more plot relevant terms, we have discovered that the Moon Stick has gone missing along with The Silver Crystal so Usagi is back using Moon Tiara Action as her finisher. If I recall correctly, instead of adding new scouts throughout the season, with some exceptions, the shit that gets doles out over the season are power upgrades. Sailor Moon really did drink from the pool of Super Sental at times.
Anyway, once again mildest recommendations to watch, it is important but also tedious.

Thiis particular series is ludicrously boring. I just cant seem to get through it. Tried several times to even resume it but its horrible. No real sense of danger or point to it other than to
reset everything

Did filler come to mean anime original now or what? Last I saw, the main purpose of the Doom Tree arc was to reset things so it could resume where the manga was headed rather than maintaining the finality of the last two episodes of the first season.

Yeah I know what its supposed to do but it doesnt make it fun to watch.

Disproportionate retribution maybe, but at least it's consistent if the
country truly is fucked based on what the high ranking Norma said.
Everyone gets punished!

jman2050

Inou Battle 3

What I watched: Inou Battle
What I expected: Cute girls (and a guy) doing cute things with superpowers
What I got: Serious debates and discussions surrounding Japanese language oddities and wordplay.

Given his comments on Chuu2, I think the conversation between Andou and chuuni bro would give Brandy an aneurysm.

Jex

You're expecting a reasonable depiction of institutional racism in a trashy mecha exploitation show?
I'm just demonstrating that you can criticise the show on a number of grounds including on it's own terms.
Disproportionate retribution maybe, but at least it's consistent if the
country truly is fucked based on what the high ranking Norma said.
Everyone gets punished!
I think we, as the audience, aren't supposed to believe many of the things being told to Ange. There was too much time invested in setting up the setting in episode 1 not to return to it later.

Bahamut - 03

While not as strong as the first two episodes, it's still one of the more enjoyable shows to watch. The town reminded me of Duskwood from WoW. Looking forward to what Necrololi can bring to the table.
Can't really say I care much about the angels and their pursuit of Amira. I root for the Demons, they seem like a cool bunch.

Jex

So thanks to Dynamite in the Brain I've set my targets on Silver Fang, a Toei anime from 1986. I don't think it's going to take much work to sell anyone on this show because it has one of the most legitimate OP's I've ever seen.

If this won't sell you on the show, nothing will:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER1TYE3U0jg

Fox318

Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road Episode 3

Midousuji is the most evil motherfucker and badass motherfucker I have ever seen in a sports anime.

PK Gaming

Hanayamata 12

It's finally over.

So that 'Is the Order a Rabbit?' show was the worst Manga Time Kirara show I had seen so far, but this one is actually worse. In addition to not being funny, just like that Rabbit show, this one also got bad drama in every single episode. At least finish introducing the characters before getting bogged down in drama. Holy Christ almighty. Even the flashbacks are full of sad stuff.

The character designs are... Well... The eyebrows are a bit strange, and giving Hana vampire fangs wasn't maybe the best of choices...

Only good thing here is the OP... And I guess Tami is alright. Yosakoi itself seems slightly interesting, but holy shit, not like this.

1/5 Yosakoi Club logos:
U28bdhc.png
qZPS9I4.png
qZPS9I4.png
qZPS9I4.png
qZPS9I4.png

CqDdA7J.png

I don't have a problem with your overall assessment, but the implicit assertion that Yaya is somehow not the best character OR a major point in the shows favor is supremely distressing.

Distressing.

cajunator

Banned
Sailor Moon R 01

Lewd.

New enemies appear, a possible love square and then Usagi gets her memories back. And the aliens are named Ail and An, eh?

the girl alien in cute at least I guess.
Not enough to really keep me watching.

Sailor Moon R 02

Everybody is back, along with the funny expressions.

And they all got that audition at the same place and Mamoru also works there? Quite the coincidence :p

I think this series pretty much retroactively made the entire first season irrelevant.

Someday's Dreamers 04-06

Making magic both a governmental policy and a thing of wonder, extremely limited yet beyond the imagination, is a careful balancing act that this series has been able to pull off petty well so far. The "dining on the moon" and the windchimes sequence were both dreamlike in the way they presented themselves. While episode 5 was nearly entirely devoid of magic, and focused almost entirely on the relations of Yume, Runa and their mothers. Simple stories, told effectively. The show definitely is on the slow side, and the control room that monitors magic usage feels out of place with the atmosphere at times, but I like what I see. That magic can only deal with pain, and not bring people out of a coma, tells me a lot about how it works in this world. It renders a miracle of magic into the small, everyday moments of life instead of something that alters the fabric of the universe. Which is true, miracles come in many sizes.

I love how it shows a microcosmic view of magic and how it affects daily life and the regulation thing was brought back to focus in From the New World in a way.
Somedays Dreamers does not have such dire consequences of usage though. (and its not magic but psychokinetic powers)

I guess now that Hulu's Sailor Moon stream has gotten to R I should actually finish it up and move to S. But maaaaaaaaan that first arc fucking sucks and killed my will to do so.

Yeah its pretty mundane. Is there any reason to watch R other than for completionist purposes?? Certain episodes? I wont make it through otherwise.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well, Sailor Moon R certainly made parts rather pointless, like all of the romantic building they were doing in Season 1 was tossed out the window for good.

Shingeki no Kyo-errrr Bahamut Genesis 03

8ffd62a3bb.jpg

NOT THE BLACK BIBLE THAT SHITS LEWD

Another good episode (although probably the weakest so far, if that means anything being the 3rd episode in). Liked the spooky Halloween feel
but Kaisar didn't join up this week. Maybe he just won't and will be a foil the whole time?

They could do that.
Or they could just have more lesbian scenes.

What stuck out to me in Cross Ange 3 is that I realized that all the "bad" members of the squad are the lesbians and will probably all die horrific deaths. Very classy.

Inou Battle - 03

Alright episode. Wasn't bored but I wasn't really that entertained either. I hope Luci First and Dark Dark will trigger eachothers chuuni more in the future to embarass the others.
More small klk stuff huh. Next episode seem to focus on best girl which is a plus.

PK Gaming

Jokes aside, Yaya was by far the most compelling character on HaNaYaMaTa.

She was capable of going through a range of emotions that went beyond intense happiness/intense angst, her problems actually had some degree of complexity, and she generally had the best gags.

Her only drawback was the fact that she's a tsundere, but it wasn't that obnoxious. Impactful, but not ruinous.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's Episodes 7-13 [END]

Finished in record time!

A's is basically the first series but with none of the drawbacks of Episodes 1-3 and 5 and then improves it's strengths by a big margin.

I was actually rooting for all sides to have a good outcome. Everyone had a good reason to fight. The fights themselves did get easier by then end due to the power-up in Episode 4 but both sides had more at stake by that point.

I did think the Admiral's plan was really stupid though.
Why would you set off The Book of Darkness and put Nanoha's world in danger on a hunch that may get rid of the book without doing any research into the book and its history. Then carry all of it out in secret confusing not only the enemy but your own staff. It's was only going to backfire on him and in the end...it did.

Fate's sequence in while in the
book was well done. Put into an ideal world where she lived peacefully with Precia, Alisia and Aruf as a family but taken away from all of her friends in the real world. It was necessary so Fate could move on from her past life hoping for a better future with her mother and is now living her life with her friends and helping others.

Episode 13 like the last series provided a good epilogue to all the events that had just happened and tied up all those loose ends and was pretty sad as well
Hayate fell out of her wheelchair while begging for Reinforce to stay with her was pretty heavy to watch.
Also due to the events of the final battle
everyone now knows about Nanoha and Fate's side job as mages so there's no need to clumsily hide it from everyone like back in S1. I do wonder if they know that Yuuma is actually a person and not a ferret. That may take them by surprise if not!

I'm not sure what other positive words I can say about this show really. It's just so good!

jgminto

Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road 3

iyYYZIf13KyF2.gif

This episode was pure SADNESS! I even knew it was coming and it still destroyed me. Poor Midousuji, this part really turned my impression of him around when I first read it.

Jokes aside, Yaya was by far the most compelling character on HaNaYaMaTa.

She was capable of going through a range of emotions that went beyond intense happiness/intense angst, her problems actually had some degree of complexity, and she generally had the best gags.

Her only drawback was the fact that she's a tsundere, but it wasn't that obnoxious. Impactful, but not ruinous.

I liked Tami's voice
and long blue hair
. That's all :p

mankoto

Madan no Ou to Vanadis 3
If the entire show was like this, I'd consider it okay. But I doubt it will be, and that makes me disappointed.

Hellsing Ultimate X

The Grand Finale! Wall of spoilers incoming.

The dub continues to be fantastic as always.

The battle between Seras and the captain was kinda anti-climatic especially considering this is the first and only time we actually see the captain fight, though it was nice to see Pip as her familiar.

Alucard fading into existence is probably to most poignant moment in the series, emphasized even further when he smiles warmly at his Integra whom was basically begging him not to leave before he goes ''poof.'

The handling of the majors death was... not what I expected. A speech about him being human and following his own will and humanity truly captured his character not just as him doing evil for the sake of it but to also show the darker aspects that humanity has to offer.

Walter, well I'll be honest his reason for betraying Hellsing was weak though if nothing else by the end even he knows his reason for turn coating was pretty stupid.

The epilogue was also a heartwarming moment between Integra and Alucard that was a great way to end the series.

Overall though, Hellsing Ultimate is a fantastic series. If you haven't watched it by now you're missing out.

e_i

A reminder: A Letter to Momo is coming out on Blu-ray tomorrow.

And fuck you Amazon for completely fucking up the listing for the Blu-ray (can't buy the Blu-ray on Amazon, just the DVD version).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom