• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road Episode 3
Terrible episode, this is not how you write an anime or even a manga.
absolutely no way Kyoto Fushimi should have lost this event. The drama and everything even supported a Midosuji win with that heart tearing backstory when he was a cute kid and all, then the teeth breaking and leg tearing, how does he go all the way to 0 like that. Impossible

Clov

Thanks. Noted.

To elaborate a bit (after some brief research), there appears to be a BD set in Japan (without subtitles), though it appears to be an upscale (given both when Beck was made and the fact the resolution is listed at 1080i). Since the DVD is a part of Funimation's SAVE line, it's practically guaranteed that they won't release it on BD; anything that's become a SAVE release as a DVD has never been upgraded as a BD, to my knowledge.

So yeah, you should be safe just getting the DVD.

wonzo

Banned
B0EnKBnCQAISPjv.jpg:large

someone explain the origins of this dumb meme to me tia

mankoto

Kotaku (yeah I know) makes it sound like twitter using #妊娠検査薬コラ. Hopefully it'll blow over soon. Seeing the condom variant appear the next day was such a pain.

cajunator

Banned
To elaborate a bit (after some brief research), there appears to be a BD set in Japan (without subtitles), though it appears to be an upscale (given both when Beck was made and the fact the resolution is listed at 1080i). Since the DVD is a part of Funimation's SAVE line, it's practically guaranteed that they won't release it on BD; anything that's become a SAVE release as a DVD has never been upgraded as a BD, to my knowledge.

So yeah, you should be safe just getting the DVD.

thanks for the info. Exactly what I was asking about.

Somebody please kill this meme. The umbrella one was super cute but the pregnancy one is ridiculous.

Mr.Jeff

Nothing says "disposable soldier" quite like a belt buckle designed to look like a bullseye.

Glass Fleet - 04
The majority of the episode is taken up with Cleo and Vetti's incredibly sexed-up swordfight featuring such lines as "You're the second man to make me undo my button" and "Perhaps I should insert you as well. Insert you right into my pocket" and culminating in this scene.
Following that, Ralph manages to somehow not kill them despite aiming at them with canons that fire projectiles designed to destroy ships bigger than the town they're in.

BluWacky

Fate Stay/Night UBW 0

Is it wrong of me to have enjoyed this far more than I did the first episode
or any episode that I watched
of Fate/Zero? I did watch an episode or two of the original F S/N adaptation back in the day and thought it was pretty dull, but we'll see how I get on with this one. I can't imagine what it must be like to watch this show unspoiled - the direction and dialogue is heavily layered with dramatic irony, for instance (BIG SPOILERS FOLLOW)
cutting to a shot of Sakura when Rin is talking about there being another magician on campus, despite the fact that I believe in this version of the story Sakura isn't a Master
, or
all the stupid stuff about Archer not remembering who he is in this timeline because that would spoil the big reveal later on

I think the banter would be much funnier dubbed, weirdly. To my untrained ears there's very little nuance in the vocal performances for Rin and Archer, but the dialogue reads funnier than how they're saying it. Also Rin has one of those hideous stereotypical tsundere voices that drive me mad.

Fight scene was gud.

I wonder if Ufotable will ever do a Tsukihime remake? (cue "jokes" about Shingetsutan not existing).

Syrinx

Nothing says "disposable soldier" quite like a belt buckle designed to look like a bullseye.

Glass Fleet - 04
The majority of the episode is taken up with Cleo and Vetti's incredibly sexed-up swordfight featuring such lines as "You're the second man to make me undo my button" and "Perhaps I should insert you as well. Insert you right into my pocket" and culminating in this scene.
Following that, Ralph manages to somehow not kill them despite aiming at them with canons that fire projectiles designed to destroy ships bigger than the town they're in.
This show is a little too long for what I would recommend for a "list" show, but man there's some hilarious dialogue to be had in pockets of it.

jman2050

Glass Fleet - 04

I can't think of many works of fiction I've experienced that have such completely screwed up and nonsensical internal logic as this show. I mean yes, there are shows where the scenarios are dumber or characters do more stupid things etc. but there's something just seriously inconsistent and wrong with Glass Fleet's setting on such a fundamental level it's downright fascinating.

Narag

I can't think of many works of fiction I've experienced that have such completely screwed up and nonsensical internal logic as this show. I mean yes, there are shows where the scenarios are dumber or characters do more stupid things etc. but there's something just seriously inconsistent and wrong with Glass Fleet's setting on such a fundamental level it's downright fascinating.

Episode 6 will make him question existence.

Fox318

Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road Episode 3
Terrible episode, this is not how you write an anime or even a manga.
absolutely no way Kyoto Fushimi should have lost this event. The drama and everything even supported a Midosuji win with that heart tearing backstory when he was a cute kid and all, then the teeth breaking and leg tearing, how does he go all the way to 0 like that. Impossible

I fucking loved it actually.
It turned a villain into a sympathetic hero and even got you rooting for him despite some of the horrible things he has done only to show that he wasn't ready for that big of a stage.

Syrinx

I mean for the love of God, they have spaceships with advanced weaponry but use fucking bows and arrows when they get out of them!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Captain Earth 23

It was allllllll a dream
~

lol wat

wow this actually a kinda of fun and well directed episode; I'm shocked, Captain Earth. It's so Labyrinthine.

Honestly one of the best episodes for this show, though I know that's not saying much.

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis 2:
Favaro is such a dirtbag. It's kind of funny, but I can see this getting old kind of fast. I've found plenty to enjoy in the first two episodes, but I question if the show can really manage to come together as a cohesive whole. There's only so many times we can see the same things play out over and over again. The music also wasn't quite as strong as in the first episode.

Also, man does FUNimation need to do something about how their videos look. I'm not even normally the kind of guy who complains too much about this, but goddamn.

Midonin

Sailor Moon R 01-02

My friends have said that this arc, while anime-original, is not that bad. These two episodes were mostly reintroductions (and getting rid of the Moon Stick. That is so last season's merchandise, Usagi), so I don't have a whole lot to say, but it feels nice to finally have material that I have no frame of reference for, with villains with different motivations - who aren't that bad - and generally, something that feels fresh and outside the iconic parts of the franchise. Though I know that will be coming later.

Naru's even starting to gain a bit of self-awareness of how much she's a target. I like little moments like that. I like the new ED, too. It looks like this was one of the first singles for Yoko Ishida, who would later go on to perform the theme songs for Strike Witches and, to use a super recent example, Shirobako.

mankoto

Wolf Girl 3

So we skipped the beach chapter and combined two chapters here. Not sure how to feel about that since if they did a 1 episode per chapter adaption, it would've ended on
their first actual date with him slowly understanding that he might actually like her.
which would've been the perfect note. Now I seriously wonder where they'll stop.

Syrinx

Sailor Moon R 01-02

My friends have said that this arc, while anime-original, is not that bad. These two episodes were mostly reintroductions (and getting rid of the Moon Stick. That is so last season's merchandise, Usagi), so I don't have a whole lot to say, but it feels nice to finally have material that I have no frame of reference for, with villains with different motivations - who aren't that bad - and generally, something that feels fresh and outside the iconic parts of the franchise. Though I know that will be coming later.

Naru's even starting to gain a bit of self-awareness of how much she's a target. I like little moments like that. I like the new ED, too. It looks like this was one of the first singles for Yoko Ishida, who would later go on to perform the theme songs for Strike Witches and, to use a super recent example, Shirobako.

I liked the arc more than other people seem to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom