• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Was it really though? Was it what you'd describe as 'really poor'? As in, actually pretty bad? It wasn't as engaging as what came before but it was still pretty good. We learnt a number of key things about a number of characters in the cast, had some slight character redevelopment, met new characters and new factions. Things were set up for future developments and it even had an action scene. I can't think of anything really bad there.

Instead, it seemed like fairly efficient storytelling; I can't recall a "big" info dump at any point in the episode. Demon Girl gave a quick explanation of what she did. Kaiser explained his back story. It seemed to go past pretty quick.

My REALLY big question with the show is - what's the deal with Bacchus? Is his cart omnipresent? How can Favro access immediately wherever he goes?

Well, he is a god.

mankoto

Grisaia 3
If this was any normal harem... Thing, I'd consider this a nice watch. But the ending to episode one is still playing in the back of my mind, so knowing that something bad is going to happen is killing me on the inside. Almost to a point where I'm starting to appreciate how Akuma no Riddle did it if we wind up going that route.

Jarmel

Banned
Was it really though? Was it what you'd describe as 'really poor'? As in, actually pretty bad? It wasn't as engaging as what came before but it was still pretty good. We learnt a number of key things about a number of characters in the cast, had some slight character redevelopment, met new characters and new factions. Things were set up for future developments and it even had an action scene. I can't think of anything really bad there.

Instead, it seemed like fairly efficient storytelling; I can't recall a "big" info dump at any point in the episode. Demon Girl gave a quick explanation of what she did. Kaiser explained his back story. It seemed to go past pretty quick.

My REALLY big question with the show is - what's the deal with Bacchus? Is his cart omnipresent? How can Favro access immediately wherever he goes?

I would say that it was poor. Maybe not 'really' poor but it was under what I what deem as acceptable. Amira and Favaro's stories were both quite boring, especially Favaro's. Also the way both are placed in the episode just feel like a quick and dirty way to just get the background info out. Favaro's talking to a person who doesn't care and my reaction mirrored Rita's(which isn't exactly good for one of your main leads).

Maybe they weren't big in length but just the placements in the episode felt somewhat awkward.

And I'm guessing yes the cart can teleport.

Midonin

Someday's Dreamers 07-09

The Inoue storyline was an interesting take on how magic works in this world. With magic being so controlled by the government, I can see how people who try to use it outside those bounds would be problematic. The bending of the Tokyo Tower was the boldest use of magic thus far, though the mirror probably had the most emotional consequences for the characters. I'm enjoying the dynamic between Yume and Angela, too. Many fantasy stories use magic as a metaphor for other things, and the way it's being presented here, with a government controlling it and a foreigner in the mix, suggests that this alternate reality may reflect on our world pretty well.

TUSR

Banned
Thanks to phoenix, it's time to get into...

Evangelion 01

Not sure if this is how I feel right now ;P

So they got the choice of sending out this guy Shinji without any training or the girl Rei who got some experience I gess, but is still recovering (from an earlier fight or something?) in one of those Eva units to fight something they call Angel.

And that Shinji got some problems with his dad as well and there's Fly Me to the Moon.

Nice trade from Phoenix. About time you watched Eva, make sure you watch EoE when you are done.

Syrinx

Golden Boy (dub) 2

"If only my hand was my penis!" This guy is a champ of epic proportions.

Wouldn't have pegged this show for such a catchy ED either.

Evangelion 03

AHFuae3.jpg

Looks fun.

Shinji also mopes around in school and gets beaten up, we hear the official cover-up story about what happened 15 years ago and then Shinji goes mental with a knife. And there's a hand this time.

make sure you watch EoE when you are done.

Of course.

mankoto

Seven Deadly Sins 3
I never really thought about it reading the manga, but, why didn't
Gilthunder truly attempt to kill Meliodas right then and there? As in not putting away his sword after dealing the "dealth blow." He should've known that a scratch on the back wouldn't be enough for someone of his caliber

Midonin

Trinity Seven 03

I guess Arata's not a total jerk, but he's certainly got a few qualities. The beach/hot springs element was kind of underplayed when everyone was in their bathing suits the whole time. I'm getting a few High School DxD vibes, but the tones don't quite match up. The ending themes are really techno-heavy, too.

Inou Battle 3
Sort of decent as a slice of life show. Some good comedy moments this episode though not quite as good as last with Mirei

sonicmj1

I would say that it was poor. Maybe not 'really' poor but it was under what I what deem as acceptable. Amira and Favaro's stories were both quite boring, especially Favaro's. Also the way both are placed in the episode just feel like a quick and dirty way to just get the background info out. Favaro's talking to a person who doesn't care and my reaction mirrored Rita's(which isn't exactly good for one of your main leads).

Maybe they weren't big in length but just the placements in the episode felt somewhat awkward.

And I'm guessing yes the cart can teleport.

I can agree that Amira's backstory was placed somewhat awkwardly (though it also reveals all the factions after the key), but Favaro's story served an important function. Not only does his telling it in that situation say a lot about his character, it's also critical in characterizing Rita. His backstory is what bridges the gap between the legend of the town and Rita's motivation for staging everything.

Episode 3 isn't quite on the level of the other two, but it was still great.

Jarmel

Banned
I can agree that Amira's backstory was placed somewhat awkwardly (though it also reveals all the factions after the key), but Favaro's story served an important function. Not only does his telling it in that situation say a lot about his character, it's also critical in characterizing Rita. His backstory is what bridges the gap between the legend of the town and Rita's motivation for staging everything.

Episode 3 isn't quite on the level of the other two, but it was still great.
I should note that I mixed up Kaisar and Favaro. I should just stick to referring to them as Medieval Dandy and Afro.

The problem I had with Amira's backstory telling was context. The issue with Kaisar's was a bit different, not so much in context but more of direction and framing. I felt the direction in Favaro's stuff was flat and while it may have been economical, I didn't feel anything emotionally towards the information he was giving out. That's a problem considering Kaisar's backstory is the thing tying him and Favaro together.

Also did any part of Rita's story this episode feel fresh or enganging?

Grisaiamonogatari - 03

Kinda nice seeing a laidback MC who doesn't really give a fuck or make a big deal out of opposite sex being lewd. And then he sing songs about said thing to lolis. This dude is ok in my book.
Haha that measuring moment, this is so silly I can't help but laugh
XVHM66p.jpg

Surerly you can tilt better than that
Episode summary: Bush dogs inhabit northeastern Argentina, are capable of running backwards and are nicknamed Vinegar dogs.

Moaradin

Question: If I like Katanagatari will I like Monogatari? I know they aren't related besides being written by the same dude, but I like his writing style in Katanagatari so I'm willing to give it a shot.

Oh I'm gonna enjoy those episode write-ups MikeHattsu.

Have to say though, you give him...'those' shows to watch and get Evangelion in return huh. Injustice!
When Mike only watches bad shows its hard to get a fair trade. It's a damn shame he hasn't seen Evangelion so I thought it I would correct this travesty no matter the trade.

Evangelion 05

Almost like us, only slightly different.

We get to know what happened to Unit 00 (why did they start naming them at 00 anyway?), Shinji gets to know Rei better and then it's into another fight.

So Rei is
the first child, but that just makes me wonder who's the second then :p
And nice going Shinji, putting on other people's glasses just because they're there.

Jex

[Silver Fang] - 3

An alternative title for this show could "Jaws, but if Jaws was a Bear" except that would be an awful title. Anyway, the show refuses to give up it's absolutely insane pace.

Let me remind you that this is a children's show made by Toei. For kids. Bear that in mind.

In under a minute a man is brutally mauled to death:

It doesn't take long for a bear to get slaughtered in a rather ridiculous fashion:

We get introduced to TeethCamTM:

And a kid falls off a mountain:

This show really teaches all the valuable life lessons!

Question: If I like Katanagatari will I like Monogatari? I know they aren't related besides being written by the same dude, but I like his writing style in Katanagatari so I'm willing to give it a shot.

if you enjoy his writing style , you can't go wrong .
Do expect to have several of your expectations crushed like in monogatari.

Mr.Jeff

Yamato 2199 - 01
Well I did see this last year (or was it the start of this year) but the blood pact has been made with phoenix296 has been made so I may as well begin again.
Still a top notch first episode. Couple of moments which were overdone but feel like throwback moments to the original. Still puzzles me how Kodai and the other one got into a fighter and despite doing checks, didn't see they had no ammunition.

This is all minor stuff.

Will be odd to pace this inbetween Glass Fleet. Speaking of which...

This scene just had me weeping. I bet the writer was rubbing himself with glee as he planned out this scene where Michel has to choose between
Cleo and her brother, the future or the past
. No longer are the metaphors restrained to the verbal garbage the characters spout.

Mature

REMINDER! Case Closed (Detective Conan) is now streaming on Crunchyroll starting with episode 754.

"Is this an ideal place to start Detective Conan?"
Absolutely not. Despite its decidedly simple mystery formula, there's a pretty intricate narrative that takes the spotlight in a lot of episodes— complete with full arcs. CR even started with a notable manga episode as well as 15 episodes separating what's available in English anywhere. So, yeah, don't start here.

Though if you at least have a passing interest in starting Detective Conan, now might be a proper time to repost my introductory reference for those interested in starting the series. In the link are several episodes independently watchable for those who want to see what the show has to offer without starting from square one.

When Mike only watches bad shows its hard to get a fair trade. It's a damn shame he hasn't seen Evangelion so I thought it I would correct this travesty no matter the trade.

Lead him to the light!

Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete - 03

I shouldn't be watching this but for some reason I'm quite interested in the mystery aspects of this show...I guess it does something right in keeping me hooked for that. It also doesn't seem to do anything offensively bad. I mean the characters aren't that interesting for the most part, the MC is your usual oblivious moron...that somehow seems to attract every girl anyways and parts of the plot are completely nonsensical (the Astronomy Club going around beating up badly behaving Judo clubs and shit lmao) but could be worse ;p

Have to say though, I'm tired of this season's animes having some kind of really important plot element play out during or after the credits.What the hell, this is where I should be able to just close the video. If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't even know that there was s.th. going on after the the ED of Shingeki no Bahamut last episode.

The ending of Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete ep01 was some mighty confusing and weirdly cut-in stuff.

Nikodemos

Sekirei: Pure Engagement a.k.a. "Contrived Plot Devices: The Anime".

Can anyone explain to me why
Uzume didn't put Chiho in the MBI hospital before getting her dumb arse killed and Chiho losing her Ashikabi status?

Also, why
didn't the Sekirei simply zergrush MBI? All of them together (even without a structured plan) are way more powerful than the regular (human) forces opposing them, and even the Disciplinary Squad can't take on nearly 100 of them (nearly) simultaneously. Are the Sekirei so content to be string puppets/fighting dogs/roosters at the whims/mercy of a sociopathic manchild? I find that implausible.

Dresden

[Silver Fang] - 3

An alternative title for this show could "Jaws, but if Jaws was a Bear" except that would be an awful title. Anyway, the show refuses to give up it's absolutely insane pace.

Let me remind you that this is a children's show made by Toei. For kids. Bear that in mind.

Basically a show from an era where children weren't coddled by overly PC SJW muslim commies.

cajunator

Banned
Yup. Kizu eventually too.

So Oni, Koi, and Hana. Hana will probably be out much later than Oni and Koi. So of the releases in Japan, we'll have everything minus Hana probably by the end of Feb. Hana is weird because of all the delays.

Then I still have Nisekoi and Kill la Kill i'll be collecting as well.

Thanks BEAR. This is a very confusing release. The first two seasons were sold complete and now everything is split up. I found on wikipedia how the episodes are broken up by arcs of each girl and the names of the arcs, so now it all makes more sense. Im kind of scared how many releases Hanamonogatari will be though.

Also why isnt this Kizumonogatari animated yet? Is there something complex about it that makes it hard to create?

Wow Kamui got a great upgrade for the next Cardfight!! Vanguard season!
B0errG6CYAAf4Sj.png

And good new character design.
B0er3dyCIAIcDF9.png

Whaaaaaaaat?
His hair looks like a beyblade or a cinnamon roll on fire.

Has Shaft's head tilt gone too far?

Nope, but Trigger maybe has!

Thanks to phoenix, it's time to get into...

Evangelion 01

Not sure if this is how I feel right now ;P

So they got the choice of sending out this guy Shinji without any training or the girl Rei who got some experience I gess, but is still recovering (from an earlier fight or something?) in one of those Eva units to fight something they call Angel.

And that Shinji got some problems with his dad as well and there's Fly Me to the Moon.

Ohhhhh. Mike is this your first foray into Evangelion? How much do you know about any of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom