• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sekirei: Pure Engagement a.k.a. "Contrived Plot Devices: The Anime".

Can anyone explain to me why
Uzume didn't put Chiho in the MBI hospital before getting her dumb arse killed and Chiho losing her Ashikabi status?

Also, why
didn't the Sekirei simply zergrush MBI? All of them together (even without a structured plan) are way more powerful than the regular (human) forces opposing them, and even the Disciplinary Squad can't take on nearly 100 of them (nearly) simultaneously. Are the Sekirei so content to be string puppets/fighting dogs/roosters at the whims/mercy of a sociopathic manchild? I find that implausible.

well that's a lot of things to explain.

For the first question , i believe that that part was different in the manga , you might read it.
For Uzume , it was an issue of trust, no trust for anyone qualified to save her partner . the fact that her partner didn't wish to fight made her in this position

As for the 2nd question
it has to do with the sekirei themselves.. in the original story , 6 sekirei awakened and 6 were enough to repel all the assaults from the rest of the world. After THIS , the world power underwent a change and the current events are a result of this change . meaning , the sekirei are already in power and they don't know it since most of them were asleep in the ark , the plan ( the tournament that is going on ) is working perfectly .
The sekirei don't rush on the headquarters ? Because they don't need to , because they don't have the instinct to ( since they follow their masters ) , as for why i'll add this if you want , but later since it's SPOILERS

phaze

I didn't even know there was a story all about her. She's one of my favorite characters in the show, so this is a pleasant surprise.

Yeah yeah, peace peace

Didn't know it either. Hope Kagenui too will make an appearance. Really liked their duo.

Have to say though, I'm tired of this season's animes having some kind of really important plot element play out during or after the credits.What the hell, this is where I should be able to just close the video. If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't even know that there was s.th. going on after the the ED of Shingeki no Bahamut last episode.

Haha I missed that last bit of Bahamut as well. It's pretty annoying, Aldnoah pulled something like this too.

Kokkuri-san - 02

Stalker dog joins the party. I don't really like him/her yet, but I can see some funny situations arise as they battle for Kohina.
Next episode will probably make or break it if I'll keep watching
zou1zqy.jpg

Evangelion 06

What was the point of this balloon then?

No time to recover, just have to get back into the fight with a power-draining rifle. And just like Rei got checked on by Shinji's father in the last episode she now got Shinji there.

Nikodemos

For Uzume , it was an issue of trust, no trust for anyone qualified to save her partner . the fact that her partner didn't wish to fight made her in this position
I still think it was a dumb diabolus ex machina type of plot contrivance.
the plan (the tournament that is going on) is working perfectly.
But the goddam 'plan' is getting them killed. I find it implausible that they'd just shrug and go "eh, shit happens".
The sekirei don't rush on the headquarters ? Because they don't need to, because they don't have the instinct to (since they follow their masters ), as for why i'll add this if you want , but later since it's SPOILERS
What do you mean, they don't need to? If the Sekirei are so impulse-lacking, do their Ashikabi not care enough to slap together a plan to at least try and take out Electrohair-san? And what spoiler?

mankoto

Trinity Seven 3
So the hero's power has been established: Jack of all trades, Master of getting people naked with his own reflective magic...

AH big spoilers but so be it

I still think it was a dumb diabolus ex machina type of plot contrivance.
it was used that way , not arguing.
But the goddam 'plan' is getting them killed. I find it implausible that they'd just shrug and go "eh, shit happens".
They stop behaving but they aren't dead. the reason why they retrieve the corpses is for later when they will be brought back
What do you mean, they don't need to? If the Sekirei are so impulse-lacking, do their Ashikabi not care enough to slap together a plan to at least try and take out Electrohair-san? And what spoiler?

long story short , they are looking for a master that is worthy for their plans, they just don't know it ..
Ark is discovered, everyone want the sekirei powers the 2 scientists that open the ark wake up 1 sekirei ( the landlady ) they fought back with her.
During several years 5 more sekirei are waken up, they still defend their island/base.
during this part they prepare all the sekirei to be awaken.
they realise that all the sekirei need to be tuned , they have others plan for the "future" of mankind ( by the mad scientist ) , so they go on the offensive and seize control bit by bit of everything in the world. THEN the sekirei tournament is set-up , people with "potential to be masters" are gathered in the city( with or without their will ) and they release the sekirei within it.

The sekirei tournament has a purpose and some of the people that participate within it know of it or not. regardless if they approuve the plan or not they know that it's necessary so they don't interfere much.
Most of the sekirei are bound by their desire to find a ashikabi, they were tuned that way. No matter how rough a master become , they won't rebel or go against their orders , again they were tuned that way for the purpose of the plan by design they were made to follow the wishes of their ashikabi.
So unless EVERY ashikabi goes against MIB , it won't happen , AND EVEN if it happens , the dude in power has turnoff switches and all sorts of backups.
A big part of the ashikabi know that the winner will basicly have the power to rule the world , and they won't share that power with others.
Now why do they need a master ? because it would help the humans and the sekirei ( it has always been the case ) , because this is an event that happens all the time when the sekirei wake up ( already happenned before ), and it is WAY MORE BLOODIER than the tournament . the closed up version within a city actually protect the rest of the world , but not many realise this.

I recently finished GTO. Two things surprised me quite a bit.

One: The first opening is REALLY GOOD, song and animation. It hasn't left my head since I finished it.

Two: All this time I thought GTO was its own thing and Onizuka's backstory was something that wasn't really fleshed out. Turns out I gotta read like 7 manga to get the whole story, which is totally happening given the way the show ended.

cajunator

Banned
Evangelion 02

Must feel weird living in one of those buildings when they move.

It looks like it goes as expected when somebody without any training does things. Then Shinji moves in with Misato and... a penguin.

And then it's revealed that uh... it's alive? Hm... There's an eye at least :p

Some stuff about cover-ups and things that happened 15 years ago as well.

Ah yes Pen-pen. Quite possibly Evangelion ignited my adoration of penguins. I doubt thats what did it but it could be.

Someday's Dreamers 07-09

The Inoue storyline was an interesting take on how magic works in this world. With magic being so controlled by the government, I can see how people who try to use it outside those bounds would be problematic. The bending of the Tokyo Tower was the boldest use of magic thus far, though the mirror probably had the most emotional consequences for the characters. I'm enjoying the dynamic between Yume and Angela, too. Many fantasy stories use magic as a metaphor for other things, and the way it's being presented here, with a government controlling it and a foreigner in the mix, suggests that this alternate reality may reflect on our world pretty well.

I really appreciate how, aside from magic use, they kept the world relatively realistic in scope. Its a normal world that just happens to have magic users in it. Its not all fancy and warped just because of it.

Golden Boy (dub) 2

"If only my hand was my penis!" This guy is a champ of epic proportions.

Wouldn't have pegged this show for such a catchy ED either.

The original anime dickhand. Maybe parasyte manga did it first though?

Evangelion 04

Well, it's good that somebody does.

Other than trying to understand Shinji there's talk about a fourth child. Hm... Shinji is the third and Rei is probably the second? Who's the first then.

BEST GIRL. A real woman drives an Alpine.

Question: If I like Katanagatari will I like Monogatari? I know they aren't related besides being written by the same dude, but I like his writing style in Katanagatari so I'm willing to give it a shot.

Well they are COMPLETELY different types of shows. Monogatari series is like Harem++. Ultimate edition. And way better written than most harems.

Sounds like something Ikuhara would make.

Not enough lesbians.

So I started playing Fate/Stay Night and I'm at the point where Rin starts talking about the end game of Fate/Zero, the location to be presice. As someone who will be planing to watch Fate/Zero soon and doesn't like to be spoiled, should I hold off on the VN until after I finish FZ?

So I started playing Fate/Stay Night and I'm at the point where Rin starts talking about the end game of Fate/Zero, the location to be presice. As someone who will be planing to watch Fate/Zero soon and doesn't like to be spoiled, should I hold off on the VN until after I finish FZ?

Well, the VN came first, so I guess it'd be safe.

But I'd definitely watch F/Z first. Though this is coming from a guy who hasn't seen anything Stay Night related and is watching UBW without knowing any of it, lol.

Still, It's a great show on its own and might serve as a good lead in for you, though that's just what I think.

F/Z would spoil F/SN, so you're screwed either way. Intended order would be F/SN then F/Z though, so just keep going.

So there's this YouTube "Digibro" who puts out an insane amount of anime content lately and quite often I really enjoy watching his stuff.

One of his videos details the discrepancy of visuals between Psycho-Pass 1 and 2's first episode. Here's the link (Dailymotion to avoid copyright issues).

There really is a world of difference in the visuals but also general direction. And just like he mentions in the video, while I wasn't actively considering that insane drop of quality in S2 ep1 in that level of detail, I certainly was aware of how much uglier it looked.

I'm pretty darn sure something similar can be done for writing etc.

There's often a lot of people that act like a show's sequel isn't really any worse and still worth watching when it really isn't. The Walking Dead would be a good example of that. Or Dexter (after season 1 and especially after season 4). While a show can continue the general direction it was going before and thus appear to be quite similar, there's so many aspects that can be executed badly that it actually loses its good qualities. That's especially likely to happen if there's huge staff changes in between seasons, which just so happens to be the case for all 3 mentioned shows. However, many fans are so attached and want these sequels to their favorite shows to be great and will gladly ignore glaring flaws. Which also means that The Walking Dead and Dexter kept making massive amounts of money.

stryke

Inou Battle 1-3

Wow that got real pretty quickly for a romantic comedy, I thought Andou would be the typical indecisive harem protagonist who would string along Mirei for ages.

Well...I tried.

Well god forbid someone doesn't hate Psycho-Pass 1. I mean what an absurd statement to make about that blue light and such I guess?

You don't really "try" if you watch like 20s or so for, especially when he doesn't even get to the first comparison then. But whatever, I'm not gonna act like I didn't expect these kind of responses, it's a video about Psycho-Pass *gaf-shudder* after all.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Well god forbid someone doesn't hate Psycho-Pass 1.
I dunno, hearing that it's someone's "top five" anime or whatever sets off a lot of red flags. The reason I pointed out the blue light thing is that Psycho-Pass heavily cribs its aesthetic other science fiction properties. I mean he already points these out in the video, but it directly contradicts the idea that Psycho-Pass is distinct in any way.
You don't really "try" if you watch like 20s or so for, especially when he doesn't even get to the first comparison then. But whatever, I'm not gonna act like I didn't expect these kind of responses, it's a video about Psycho-Pass *gaf-shudder* after all.
Jokes. I watched all of it. The guy seems like he sat in on a single high school film crit class, so I didn't exactly feel like tearing into anything. He's complaining about the colors being too dark but that's because he's using Funi rips.

Jokes. I watched all of it. The guy seems like he sat in on a single high school film crit class, so I didn't exactly feel like tearing into anything. He's complaining about the colors being too dark but that's because he's using Funi rips.

Well that was one point and just about the least important. Do you think the different kind of city shots or crime scene compositions that he talks about the most have also no merit?
There's also a lot about camera angles/perspectives, framing, background details, UI design and more.

Well, I for one think he has a bunch of compelling arguments and a questionable remark about cyber punk aesthetics doesn't change that.

javac

I know that Shinji is so fucked up and that he should get in the goddamn robot. And that there's characters named Rei and Asuka. Not much more than that :p

Evangelion isn't my favorite show but the franchise is my favourite by a country mile and then some. From the bat-shit insane merchandise like fucking Hello Kitty X Evangelion, the aesthetics, the fantastic soundtrack (with many of the best tracks unused in the show itself). I love Eva and have spent crazy amounts on merchandise including multiple version of the show from the singles to the platinum edition, both Japanese and UK limited editions of the Rebuild Blu-rays, the whole show on Laserdisc inducing the EoE Limited Edition Laserdisc set, art-books, storyboards, Cels, all the soundtracks, figures. Truly I am an Eva geek :p

EoE is a masterpiece and I can't wait until you watch it.

Look at this shit!

My favorite thing about the Eva franchise was how a single segment in the last episode that only took maybe a few minutes spawned like 2 or 3 separate series.

REMINDER! Case Closed (Detective Conan) is now streaming on Crunchyroll starting with episode 754.

"Is this an ideal place to start Detective Conan?"
Absolutely not. Despite its decidedly simple mystery formula, there's a pretty intricate narrative that takes the spotlight in a lot of episodes— complete with full arcs. CR even started with a notable manga episode as well as 15 episodes separating what's available in English anywhere. So, yeah, don't start here.

Though if you at least have a passing interest in starting Detective Conan, now might be a proper time to repost my introductory reference for those interested in starting the series. In the link are several episodes independently watchable for those who want to see what the show has to offer without starting from square one.

Glad it's finally up. Yeah, definitely not an ideal place to start (hopefully they'll start filling in the back catalog before too long), but I'm glad it's there. And if this can inspire some more people to start watching, it's that much better.

jgminto

Evangelion isn't my favorite show but the franchise is my favourite by a country mile and then some. From the bat-shit insane merchandise like fucking Hello Kitty X Evangelion, the aesthetics, the fantastic soundtrack (with many of the best tracks unused in the show itself). I love Eva and have spent crazy amounts on merchandise including multiple version of the show from the singles to the platinum edition, both Japanese and UK limited editions of the Rebuild Blu-rays, the whole show on Laserdisc inducing the EoE Limited Edition Laserdisc set, art-books, storyboards, Cels, all the soundtracks, figures. Truly I am an Eva geek :p

EoE is a masterpiece and I can't wait until you watch it.

Look at this shit!

Evangelion+Figure+Razor+Stand+b14.jpg

Narag

Well that was one point and just about the least important. Do you think the different kind of city shots or crime scene compositions that he talks about the most have also no merit?
There's also a lot about camera angles/perspectives, framing, background details, UI design and more.

Well, I for one think he has a bunch of compelling arguments and a questionable remark about cyber punk aesthetics doesn't change that.

I don't know, seems like everything he's talking about could be distilled down to the quality of the storyboard work which might be a more interesting comparison than this strange one.

This Sekirei talk now just reminds me of how it ends with the tease for S3 which we still have not got. Makes me sad.

a giant shame since the cast was likeable even if the MC was painfully GENERIC and dull.
If we had a S3 , we would have the start of some answersto the mess we' ve had.
We probably could have the cruiser boat chapter too !!

*sigh*

Bahamut 03

Nice bit of backstory given which I was hoping to see at some point. The mystery wasn't all that surprising since I kinda figured it out pretty early since the show was dropping a lot of hints when they first introduced 'her'.
The ending was fucking hilarious though. I think I'm going to like this Rita girl.

Yona of the Dawn 3:
Both Hak and Yona's flashbacks were nice. It was good to see some of their pasts and how they got to the point they were at the start of the series. Some of these scenes were also more effective now in light of what happened in the first two episodes. Yona's really going through a rough time, but it makes sense for her to be so despondent after what she's been through. It looks like now she might be on the path to finding a new way.

Clov

A nice package arrived in the mail today; the BDs of Ghost in the Shell and the Patlabor OVAs that I ordered! I watched a couple scenes from each to judge how nice they looked.

Ghost in the Shell... isn't a great transfer. The picture consistently has a fuzzy look about it, in both bright and dark scenes, though it's more noticeable in the dark. However, it looks considerably better than the DVD release by Manga Entertainment. The subtitles looks nice, though I've heard some complaints about the translation choices compared to the Japanese BD.

The Patlabor OVAs actually look pretty nice to me. There's some grain (especially in darker areas), but the picture at least looks clear. Only thing I don't like are the huge, ugly, yellow subtitles (courtesy of Maiden Japan AKA Sentai Filmworks with another name for some reason).

mankoto

Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis 3
Still surprised that
Kaiser hasn't joined the party. Well, at least he still has own partner now.

PK Gaming

Detective Conan is the ultimate snack-food show. You can easily burn through 5-6 episodes a day because the plotlines are usually self-contained and each of the episodes are extremely engaging. The movies are mostly pretty great as well. As long as you don't expect too much (any serious character development) out of the show then you'll enjoy it.
Though if you at least have a passing interest in starting Detective Conan, now might be a proper time to repost my introductory reference for those interested in starting the series. In the link are several episodes independently watchable for those who want to see what the show has to offer without starting from square one.

Literally all of the episodes you listed are among my favorite.

mankoto

Girlfriend(Beta) 2
I could've sworn something happened here... Something about dieting I think. I can't seem to recall anything outside of when Chloe said something due to her accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom