• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evangelion 07

UO2Vm9o.jpg

Haha. The bureaucracy.

Lots of them Eva unit being planned built then, rival organizations making their own stuff and some sabotage.

Midonin

Someday's Dreamers 10-12 + Final Thoughts

I liked the way those final three episodes flowed into one another. The seeds of doubt had been planted in Yume's mind before these episodes, but the way they played into the finale felt natural, and Oyamada's backstory, the way it was used to conclude the series, and what it says about the nature of magic, was a good spot to end the story. I can see that this show is not for everyone - and in some ways, it feels a little unusual for me, too, and I love fantasy and daily life stories, rarely are they together - but it stands apart in the way it behaves like a drama, using the magic to enhance peoples' emotions and deal with themes of loss, doubt, love, those kinds of things.

I'll move ahead to the sequel/spinoff to see how it is, just not right away.

Jex

[GBF: Try] - 3

This series feels like it's made by really talented fans of the first show, but it's not as slick or exciting or well produced in any aspect.

It's a solid little show.

Clov

Also of note, Maiden Japan is finally active again (coinciding with my purchase of the Patlabor OVA BD). They'll be releasing a sub only BD of Patlabor: The New Files in February. Hopefully the movies aren't far off.

Looks like I won't be getting any Sentai/Section23 releases in February, though.

fertygo

[GBF: Try] - 3

This series feels like it's made by really talented fans of the first show, but it's not as slick or exciting or well produced in any aspect.

It's a solid little show.

Calling the show off just after 3 eps and less of half character introduced, yeah this is Anime-GAF alright.

Jarmel

Banned
Try is seemingly more in line with what most anime shows are now. It is what it is.

I think the big fuckup with the show right now is the Tri fighters format. Should have just done a duo style as right now it feels sort of unweildy and third wheel nonsense.

Having two genki characters is too much.

Evangelion 08

Aha. Well, she's more lively than the others :p

People gets called both baka and hentai, there's big-game fishing and and old navy guy who doesn't like kids these days. Piloting seems to work better with two people and there's some- uh... one called Adam as well.

fertygo

How many episodes must we watch before we are allowed to mildly criticize something?

Surely there's way to criticize/praising without implying the judgement already brought down without can changed any further , this what leading to some armchair opinion that I seeing here.. just simply don't say more than what you seen, does that sound uh weird?

Yeah lots of people recommended Gundam Wing, so I watched it...it was complete shit. I
guess people just enjoyed the gundamns back then because the story is 200% ass.

Yeah, Wing is completely terrible. Prior to Age it could easily be called the worst Gundam series. Just a bad, bad show.

Took them long enough.

Jarmel

Banned
Surely there's way to criticize/praising without implying the judgement already brought down without can changed any further , this what leading to some armchair opinion that I seeing here.. just simply don't say more than what you seen, does that sound uh weird?

Ah, I see what you mean. I guess the question becomes do you think the show is going to significantly change in direction or quality. I think it's fine to do inferences and assumptions of the quality of a show based on what you've seen. There is the notion that the show will continue on its current trajectory. There are exceptions like Samurai Flamenco but those are exceptions. Now if he said the show would remain shit or whatever, I think your point would be more valid.

That we're judging based off what we have seen is a given, does it really need to be spelled out explicitly? To be honest I'm not seeing anything so harsh or final in Jexhius' post to warrant any of this.

phaze

Evangelion 08

Aha. Well, she's more lively than the others :p

People gets called both baka and hentai, there's big-game fishing and and old navy guy who doesn't like kids these days. Piloting seems to work better with two people and there's some- uh... one called Adam as well.

Asuka comes with her own set of defects but I wouldn't have survived the show with only Shinji and Rei.

Looking forward to your description of events in the last 3 episodes. :]

Poor Aqua. Even Tokyo Ghoul blue-rays were butchered.

Jex

How am I doing that? I'm just criticising the show for what it is, flat and uninspired.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, Wing is completely terrible. Prior to Age it could easily be called the worst Gundam series. Just a bad, bad show.

lol no

I didn't even like Wing that much but we live in a world where 00 Season 2 and Seed Destiny exists.

Where's Corvo when I need him to explain why 00 is the worst thing to exist ever?

duckroll

I don't understand what you're talking about. Gundam 00 is a pretty great series. I remember everyone being really upset when they announced that the series was cancelled after season 1.

fertygo

Ah, I see what you mean. I guess the question becomes do you think the show is going to significantly change in direction or quality. I think it's fine to do inferences and assumptions of the quality of a show based on what you've seen. There is the notion that the show will continue on its current trajectory. There are exceptions like Samurai Flamenco but those are exceptions. Now if he said the show would remain shit or whatever, I think your point would be more valid.

That we're judging based off what we have seen is a given, does it really need to be spelled out explicitly? To be honest I'm not seeing anything so harsh or final in Jexhius' post to warrant any of this.

I always had my fun calling of the Armchair Quarterback in this thread, if you ask me that point drive that post more than to defending Try lol. I'm glad the discussion is turning this way than on Try subject.

People that pass off "opinion" without watching is the worst, and I consider Jex 's post is some form of that because seemingly give judgement further than what can be seen, but ultimately I think that post gonna baiting the kind of example that I mentioned, and its tick me off lol
How am I doing that? I'm just criticising the show for what it is, flat and uninspired.

I stand corrected.. My bad. You're not doing that, but maybe your faithful listener would!

Mr.Jeff

Where's Corvo when I need him to explain why 00 is the worst thing to exist ever?
As I understand, he's got a whole bunch of stuff happening and does have a lot of free time at the moment.

I don't understand what you're talking about. Gundam 00 is a pretty great series. I remember everyone being really upset when they announced that the series was cancelled after season 1.
duckroll retroactively forgetting bad shows. How was the Tenkai Knights anime?

lol no

I didn't even like Wing that much but we live in a world where 00 Season 2 and Seed Destiny exists.

I never saw 00 Season 2, so maybe that was worse than Wing. But Wing was much, much worse than SEED Destiny. Destiny was mostly dragged down by a terrible final 13 episodes or so. Wing was shit from the start.

Mature

So it's Dark Souls 2 to GBF's Dark Souls?
Hey, if that's what it ends up being, I can't be too disappointed.
Also of note, Maiden Japan is finally active again (coinciding with my purchase of the Patlabor OVA BD). They'll be releasing a sub only BD of Patlabor: The New Files in February. Hopefully the movies aren't far off.

Looks like I won't be getting any Sentai/Section23 releases in February, though.
Really glad Maiden Japan got The New Files. They're really great. And I hope if they end up doing the films they roll out the red carpet. Not that I need another great CE of them, but... I want it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sega Hard Girls/Seha Whatever 03
This Space Channel arc is already amazing. Really surprised to find that I'm wishing these were longer every week.

Midonin

Librarian 03

I like Kana. She's got energy, and she's cute. Though they're almost entirely different beasts in terms of story, the atmosphere in this show is probably the closest to GFB this season. The abandoned building being the place where the signal is sent from is also an interesting twist. Is it coincidence, or are we dealing with something mildly supernatural here? I'm fine with either option.

Jarmel

Banned
Now that I think about, I wonder what it says about the mecha genre when Tomino's female characters don't preach on about 'muh peace' like Relena, Princess Minerva, Seylum, Marina, and some female in Destiny that I don't care enough to look up their name.

Instead Tomino normally just has his women being slapped, following men because they're dick hungry, randomly stripping, and now toilet fetishes.

But I feel in some ways that's more progressive than the female princess peace role.

JoeFu

Banned
Parasyte 03

Pretty good episode. We see what the scene in last weeks episode was about and learn about two new parasyte duders. The lady is such a big difference from A, wonder if the parasytes bring out the most overwhelming character traits or something. Wonder what causes them to be so different. Sucks this episode ends before the action starts though.

Also the ED LOL such a tone shift.

Evangelion 09

I wouldn't want that job.

Shinji and Asuka needs to get in unison to take down the next angel, so they train using some Dance Dance Revolution looking device and live together. I guess the relationship between Misato, Ritsuko and Ryoji is supposed to mirror that of the children or something as well. And both Shinji and his friends from school are doing some creepy stuff :p

Parasyte 3:
Solid episode. We get some more look at the different philosophies the characters have, and the introduction of the character of Tamiya adds another layer to it, because she's quite unlike the previous ones that we've seen, and is more straddling the line, albeit in a very different way than Shinichi. I'm dubious if Shinichi can really keep what's going on with him secret for much longer, however.

BluWacky

But I feel in some ways that's more progressive than the female princess peace role.

This is not the word you're looking for. "Man-obsessed and in need of a good slap" is not "progressive" any more than "saintly irritating peace keeper" is, with or without in-mecha pooping.

Doesn't Dianna in Turn A spend most of her time trying to negotiate for peace, fairly ineffectually?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom