• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
GUNDAM BUILD FIGHTERS TRY-Episode 3: Her Name is Gyanko

Sekai and Yuumo teamwork and chemistry is the best part, sadly, much of the episode was a bit dull. If characters werent so head over heels for femchars this season could really be somewhat entertaining :(

cajunator

Banned
I will never.... ever.... watchbet anybody. I have enough trouble watching things as is.

Probably the smartest move is not to play the game.

Sentai February
http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/sentai-filmworks-february-2013-release-schedu

Golden Time Collection 2 (DVD/Bluray)
Leviathan- The Last Defense (DVD/Bluray Dub)
Engaged to the Unidentified (DVD/Bluray)
Reideen (DVD)
Hozuki's Coolheadness (DVD/Bluray)
Diabolik Lovers (Bluray Dub)
Space Brothers Collection 1 (DVD/Bluray)
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions CE

Ohhhh Kobeni, Mashiro and Space Bros *o*
Is this also a bluray of Chuuni? Theres a DVD set but I dont want that.

Evangelion 07

Haha. The bureaucracy.

Lots of them Eva unit being planned built then, rival organizations making their own stuff and some sabotage.

I seriously cannot believe you hadnt seen Eva yet but Im glad. Reading completely new reactions to it is refreshing.

Someday's Dreamers 10-12 + Final Thoughts

I liked the way those final three episodes flowed into one another. The seeds of doubt had been planted in Yume's mind before these episodes, but the way they played into the finale felt natural, and Oyamada's backstory, the way it was used to conclude the series, and what it says about the nature of magic, was a good spot to end the story. I can see that this show is not for everyone - and in some ways, it feels a little unusual for me, too, and I love fantasy and daily life stories, rarely are they together - but it stands apart in the way it behaves like a drama, using the magic to enhance peoples' emotions and deal with themes of loss, doubt, love, those kinds of things.

I'll move ahead to the sequel/spinoff to see how it is, just not right away.

Somedays Dreamers was a beautiful little series that didnt try too hard and go off on tangents. It stuck mostly to magic in a realistic setting and I think that makes it pretty unique. Series 2 continues that general idea but the art doesnt work as well. I dontl ike the character as much as Yume either.

Evangelion 08

Aha. Well, she's more lively than the others :p

People gets called both baka and hentai, there's big-game fishing and and old navy guy who doesn't like kids these days. Piloting seems to work better with two people and there's some- uh... one called Adam as well.

I guess you are watching the subbed version but my first experience with the show was dubbed and call me crazy but I like Tiffany Grant's corny but effective voicework. She put a lot of love into being Asuka and you should have seen her with her plugsuit. Really well executed cosplay. I actually like the dub better.
Oh, and avoid the ReMakes. Youre watching the good version.

Librarian 03

I like Kana. She's got energy, and she's cute. Though they're almost entirely different beasts in terms of story, the atmosphere in this show is probably the closest to GFB this season. The abandoned building being the place where the signal is sent from is also an interesting twist. Is it coincidence, or are we dealing with something mildly supernatural here? I'm fine with either option.

This is DaitoShokan?

Ohh nice! I have this set. I went on a Geneon panic buying spree after they folded and ended up with several sets that are way o.o.p. and going upwards in price.
I was pretty upset when they went under.

I've been there man. I was pretty disappointed when I found out Bandai folded. What OOP Geneon sets do you have if you don't mind me asking?

I wanted to watch Kai but it never got licensed so I kind of forgot it existed. What is Umineko about? Apparently the story keeps going.

I haven't played or watched Umineko (Mostly cause I don't know how to patch VN's and the anime adaption is apparently really bad) but I do know Umineko is only tangentially connected to Higurashi. They are both set in the same universe and some characters look similar (Bernkastel should look very familiar) but otherwise it is it's own story from what I can tell. It would probably be better to ask someone who's played it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I definitely differ in opinion regarding R. Having a hell of a time getting through it.
Its nearly Max-Heart levels of boring to me but at least better made than that.
S beckons at the end but getting there seems like a chore.

I have already given much thought as to why I think the Doom Tree arc is one of the lower points in the overall franchise but yea I do recall R in general making quite a few misteps in the larger arc as well. I suppose the thing about it is this isn't the lowest point of Sailor Moon, for me that was Super S.

Chaika 03
Even the disguise has DEM Eyebrows.
Wfrl4E8.png

cajunator

Banned
Evangelion 09

I wouldn't want that job.

Shinji and Asuka needs to get in unison to take down the next angel, so they train using some Dance Dance Revolution looking device and live together. I guess the relationship between Misato, Ritsuko and Ryoji is supposed to mirror that of the children or something as well. And both Shinji and his friends from school are doing some creepy stuff :p

It makes me wonder if the neural bridge in Pacific Rim is a direct homage to Evangelion. Im thinking yes. Did any other mech shows utilize this idea?

FINALLY. Ive been getting those Rightstuf email updates "Were working on it!" about it being backordered for ages.
What is the thin object on the side? an art book?

This is like watching one of those Japanese tsundere cartoons.

I know! Its so adorable.

Jex

So it seems like that Gurren Lagann packaging error for the UK BD's affected quite a few people:

We’ll be setting up a contact information form in due course over the next week asking for your details to get these out to you if you were impacted by it (which by our estimate is between 40%-50% of units which patently were rushed).

Daitoshokan 3
The animal pillows bit was funny and Kana has probably the most fun member of this club. The Sherperd thing is kind of interesting especially since they aren't completely wasting their time looking for him directly

Dresden

gbf 3

I like Fumina but the fact that she gets bailed out at the end again really puts a damper on the whole leader-of-men thing, and at this point that's all she'll be good for, so to see even that stomped on is really disheartening. I'm not really bothered by Sekai pulling off bullshit moves - who cares - but leveraging that to avoid even a partial loss is bad. Would it have been so bad to just let her gunpla be destroyed, while still taking a win over the other team? It naturally sets up the trip next episode to gunpla garden, as well.

Reading eva impressions is making me realize I never really watched it myself and only had it on in the background while I was doing other things. I should try going through it again and actually pay attention.

cajunator

Banned
Umineko is mostly unrelated to Higurashi. There's some references here and there, but it's mostly standalone. It's a murder-mystery taking place on an island, with some supposedly supernatural stuff involved. The anime is pretty bad, since it cuts out several vital clues, and ends halfway through. If you want to experience the story, go for the visual novels. They're much better, though I think they end up going off the rails completely by the end. Still, they have their good parts.

Thanks for the info

I've been there man. I was pretty disappointed when I found out Bandai folded. What OOP Geneon sets do you have if you don't mind me asking?

I haven't played or watched Umineko (Mostly cause I don't know how to patch VN's and the anime adaption is apparently really bad) but I do know Umineko is only tangentially connected to Higurashi. They are both set in the same universe and some characters look similar (Bernkastel should look very familiar) but otherwise it is it's own story from what I can tell. It would probably be better to ask someone who's played it.

Uhm...lets see.
Aside from Higurashi...

Ai yori aoshi, Haibane Renmei, Strawberry Marshmallow, Paranoia Agent, Gankutsuo, Starship Operators, El Hazard OVAs, Nanoha, Nanoha A's,
Melody of Oblivion
, Kannazuki no Miko, Rozen Maiden/Traumend, Cardcaptor Sakura, Lunar Legend Tsukihime

I have already given much thought as to why I think the Doom Tree arc is one of the lower points in the overall franchise but yea I do recall R in general making quite a few misteps in the larger arc as well. I suppose the thing about it is this isn't the lowest point of Sailor Moon, for me that was Super S.

Wait so Super S is worse than R? Oh god...

Picked these up :D

Gurren Lagann Ultimate Blu-ray Box-set

Never seen Geass and Steins;Gate so I look forward to them. Watching Lagann in 30mins with my little bro.

Code Geass has blurays? I wonder if the US does...
Nicep ick-ups btw!

Gundam Build Fighters Try 03

3f44b7a1ce.jpg

;________________;7

Gyangirl > Gyankid (although I was expecting ojou laughs, I guess Caroriiiiiine has that covered already)

I'm fine with the pairing stuff, it's innocent and silly and I doubt it'll have any serious time allotment. At this rate the show is comfortably trudging along the lines of "Good, but not as good as that really amazing first season" and I hope it'll eventually push above that because if not that's the kind of mold it will be attributed to forever
I do kind of hope the "Sekai winning with a super bullshit move every match" gets throttled quick because he hasn't even done an Erupting Burning Finger yet and that'll be the kicker

ALSO THERE WAS NOBLE GUNDAM THAT'S COOL

Parasyte 03

03e907f32e.jpg

Parasite drugs must be the most hardcore shit ever look at that guy

Didn't mind the soundtrack this time around.
Show continues to deliver pretty well, although I remember
Mr. A killing a lot more people before he got to Shinichi in the manga. I think.

Hitsugi no Chaika: AVENGING BATTLE 03

Best episode of this half yet. Flowed pretty well and set up a good next episode, that we may get some answers in.
I actually thought Gilette was dead but I guess not, I don't really know why he's still in the story, his part with the Chaika hunters was kinda boring

Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V Episode 28

Probably one of the more boring duels but at least it carried us closer to the duel we want to see.

Girl Power episode is next and ought to be fun this time because Disciple #1 ought to be much stronger now due to her Master Sora's training, and simply there being no pillars she can dive into to be confused.

Layra's monster was good design,
B0lWt6PCUAA_P4h.png

Mr.Jeff

Glass Fleet -10
In which the most boring negotiation scene happens in the history of forever. At least this gem was included.

Yamato 2199 - 03
Another good episode however it raises a question: in the first episode the conventional weapons barely causes any damage to the Gamilian's ships. Is there something different about the Yamato's regular laser and projectile weaponry? Even if the lasers are magically powered by the new alien technology, why do the projectiles start working??

TUSR

Banned
Hitsugi no Chaika: AB - 3

Good episode, lots of setup. Im expecting this to take off pretty quickly because its only 10 episodes.

Also,
Gillette is just hanging out?

javac

I guess its only a matter of time.

I will gladly double dip for a legendary series like Geass.

Looking at the cover and such it doesn't strike me as the type of show that would be soo highly regarded so I'm really surprised it's actually supposed to be really good and I'm kinda curious to check it out as soon as I get the chance. Can Geass really be that good? As you can tell I'm super cynical about anime and the acclaim received by such. The top anime rarely do pull me in so I look forward to seeing if shows like Brotherhood and Gintama are actually legit or if shows like Clannad will actually be good or just make me laugh at the art-style the whole way through. I'm a meanie aren't I? :p I bet I'll end up loving half these shows in the end!

cajunator

Banned
Looking at the cover and such it doesn't strike me as the type of show that would be soo highly regarded so I'm really surprised it's actually supposed to be really good and I'm kinda curious to check it out as soon as I get the chance. Can Geass really be that good? As you can tell I'm super cynical about anime and the acclaim received by such. The top anime rarely do pull me in so I look forward to seeing if shows like Brotherhood and Gintama are actually legit or if shows like Clannad will actually be good or just make me laugh at the art-style the whole way through. I'm a meanie aren't I? :p I bet I'll end up loving half these shows in the end!

Its legendary for a few specific reasons but divulging those would lessen the impact. Im not saying Code Geass is a good show but its a memorable one. It fits the very spirit of THE LIST.

javac

Its legendary for a few specific reasons but divulging those would lessen the impact. Im not saying Code Geass is a good show but its a memorable one. It fits the very spirit of THE LIST.

I've dropped/put-on-hold geass twice now if that is any indication to its quality.

I guess I'll have to wait and see for myself. I've never actually dropped a show and I don't intend to so. Once I put something on, I endure! :p

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Let me see, Sailor Moon R had a filler arc, Sailor Moon Super S could basically be considered to be a filler season, though that it partially due to other missteps made during that season that actually lead to Super S getting cancelled part way trough its run and being resolved at the beginning of Stars.

Branduil

Parasyte 3

ibj1aBDcLfaYOC.jpg
ibrnIU85lsSg9B.jpg

Poor girl thinks she's in a shounen romance or something.

Things are getting pretty interesting with the addition of
a parasyte that wants to maintain its "human" status in the world
, although that aspect is being put on the backburner while Shinichi deals with yet another violent parasyte. I'm sure that this will turn out to be a much more substantial story point as the show progresses. It turns out that parasytes have a lot in common with MMO players. And 2014animecompositing.jpg strikes again.

Asuka comes with her own set of defects but I wouldn't have survived the show with only Shinji and Rei.

Looking forward to your description of events in the last 3 episodes. :]

Poor Aqua. Even Tokyo Ghoul blue-rays were butchered.

What the hell is this shit.

Ping Pong 3:
A pretty tense episode where I wasn't quite sure what the outcome would be. Smile has started to shift some in his attitude, but he's still pretty reserved and apathetic about a lot of things. The quote about how talent can go to people who don't really want it was pretty apt. The music in this episode was really good, and went a long way to giving it a lot of its power. And that humming was nearly driving me crazy.

BluWacky

Let me see, Sailor Moon R had a filler arc, Sailor Moon Super S could basically be considered to be a filler season, though that it partially due to other missteps made during that season that actually lead to Super S getting cancelled part way trough its run and being resolved at the beginning of Stars.

Forgive me, but huh????

How was SuperS "cancelled"? It ran for longer than S did; they just didn't finish up the plot entirely within the year of its run, so it carried over into Stars. The show refreshed its name and branding every year - this was no exception.

I'm not saying SuperS was free from controversy, but to say it was "filler" seems ridiculous. It's a loose adaptation of the manga, yes, but that doesn't mean it was made up out of nowhere; it's certainly not comparable to the Doom Tree arc in R which was designed purely to get the anime back on track with the manga storyline.

Now that I think about, I wonder what it says about the mecha genre when Tomino's female characters don't preach on about 'muh peace' like Relena, Princess Minerva, Seylum, Marina, and some female in Destiny that I don't care enough to look up their name.

Instead Tomino normally just has his women being slapped, following men because they're dick hungry, randomly stripping, and now toilet fetishes.

But I feel in some ways that's more progressive than the female princess peace role.

In no universe could that be considered more progressive. Unless that universe was created by Gamergaters.

Jarmel

Banned
Otaking said:
How is Gundam Reconguista? Gundam Reconguista is really bad! I was thinking, "What are they doing?" (laughs) Compared to this Parasyte, which was fairly interesting... Tomino... How should I put this? He doesn't engage with anime fans. It's fine to make it for today's kids, but who does he think kids today are? Who does he think the kids that watch Yo-kai Watch are? (laughs) I don't know what's what. I watch a fair amount of anime, and I can't figure out what's going on. Ordinary people watch this and don't know what's happening, but Tomino thinks it has to be like this. Tomino hasn't changed at all. (groans) Tomino... Ugh! Dialogue won't work, lecturing won't work... [...] Nope, I'm not watching Gundam Reconguista.
]

SuperS had the brilliant Episode 133 in which Artemis was accused of having a romantic relationship with a nun. It is my favourite episode of Sailor Moon.

That can't really be true as it was based on the Dream Arc of the manga. I hear that the original story in the manga is slightly different to the anime but I don't feel that makes SuperS a filler season at all.

The resolution in Sailor Stars can be considered filler in that it didn't appear in the manga although it is necessary for it to be there to finish off the semi-ending of SuperS.

I feel that people's enjoyment of SuperS lies in how much they like Chibiusa. I'm fine with her so I liked SuperS. I liked Chibiusa more after R as she toned herself down quite a bit from back then.

Flowers of Evil 5:
Man, this show can really be tough to watch sometimes (in the best way possible) because of how much I feel everything that's happening. It's the most fascinating trainwreck imaginable in terms of a person's life, but I can also connect to the general feeling of adolescence. And the directing and sound really pack every single moment with power, refusing to relent on the atmosphere for even a single second. The result is that every episode feels like you've just personally experienced these things and you need some time to calm down and stop dwelling on it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
SuperS had the brilliant Episode 133 in which Artemis was accused of having a romantic relationship with a nun. It is my favourite episode of Sailor Moon.

That can't really be true as it was based on the Dream Arc of the manga. I hear that the original story in the manga is slightly different to the anime but I don't feel that makes SuperS a filler season at all.

The resolution in Sailor Stars can be considered filler in that it didn't appear in the manga although it is necessary for it to be there to finish off the semi-ending of SuperS.

I feel that people's enjoyment of SuperS lies in how much they like Chibiusa. I'm fine with her so I liked SuperS. I liked Chibiusa more after R as she toned herself down quite a bit from back then.

Well, keep in mind you use the words based off the manga, Sailor Moon the first anime series always had its own ideas of how to handle the material and I recall it spinning its wheels a lot more then usual. It isn't helped that it is an incomplete season and you hit upon one of the worst mistakes ever made in the series. Indeed, they ditched all of the more complex storyline and popular characters of Sailor Moon S and tried to push Scrappy Doo as the new main character. Now, you can have your subjective enjoyment of Chibi-Usa if you want, but the fact of the matter is audiences rejected these changes and the ratings fell so badly Super S got cancelled prematurely and that why it got wrapped up quickly in the next season. I suppose if there was good to come out of Super S is if without it we would not have Utena.

Parasyte 3

Madhouse have made this exponentially more tense than the manga and I'm loving it. There's a few missing scenes here and there, but they're mostly unimportant.

Jarmel

Banned
Gundam Build Fighters 2-3

I'm already starting to cringe. Are they really going to pull love triangle/rectangle nonsense? Fucking really?

Sekai's bullshit is what is pissing me off the most right now. He just feels like "Asspulls:The Character". Him also being a flat out idiot isn't helping matters either. Hell Reiji was from a different planet and he seemed to understand and fit into society better than Sekai.

Also good lord is Gyanko a contender for best girl already. That awkward laugh and thick body do all the right things for me.

Gundam Build Fighters 2-3

I'm already starting to cringe. Are they really going to pull love triangle/rectangle nonsense? Fucking really?

Sekai's bullshit is what is pissing me off the most right now. He just feels like "Asspulls:The Character". Him also being a flat out idiot isn't helping matters either. Hell Reiji was from a different planet and he seemed to understand and fit into society better than Sekai.

Also good lord is Gyanko a contender for best girl already. That awkward laugh and thick body do all the right things for me.

I doubt there will be a love triangle focus or anything beyond bringing it up for a quick joke, I don't even know how long Gyanko will be around like Gyankid
But if there is I'll be mad. Love triangles ruin everything.

Jarmel

Banned
I doubt there will be a love triangle focus or anything beyond bringing it up for a quick joke, I don't even know how long Gyanko will be around like Gyankid

One thing I liked about the first season was that everybody got a pairing and so there wasn't any love triangle drama nonsense.

I'm fine with it in some shows but here I feel it's just going to feel overly dramatic or whatever if Blue Hair's background is any indication of future tone.

Love triangles are fine if both girls get equal screentime and it's not apparent to anyone with a single braincell who is going to win.

Like nails ripped straight across my eyes.

Dresden

We dodged the biggest bullet with Yuuma crushing on the Meijin (thus avoiding a super awkward fumina/reiji2/childhood friend love triangle). We should be ok.

One thing I liked about the first season was that everybody got a pairing and so there wasn't any love triangle drama nonsense.

I'm fine with it in some shows but here I feel it's just going to feel overly dramatic or whatever if Blue Hair's background is any indication of future tone.

Love triangles are fine if both girls get equal screentime and it's not apparent to anyone with a single braincell who is going to win.

I agree pretty much completely, but I don't really think it'll be a big thing, thankfully.
I doubt Gyanko will stick around a whole lot (but I kinda want her to) and Yuuma is already on the sister.
But we'll have to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom