• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Gundam Build Fighters] - 3

This was a pretty great episode. It developed both our main characters, and even some side character as well. We got to see a whole new design for the main Gundam and there were 5 separate battles in this episode with a ton of cool looking robots.

The episode begins with some backstory for our red-haired protagonist:

gbf3asoeoz.png

In a manner typical for this series, Reiji explains his tale in a remarkably forthright fashion but even though Sei witnessed Reiji's teleportation he still can't buy it. This leads to what I can only describe as classic reaction faces:

gbf3bn0cfu.png
gbf3d96i9y.png
gf3b14fdpd.png

One thing this episode does a great job demonstrating is that while Sei and Reiji are very different people characters with very different skills but both are equally important to the storyline. They are also independent people who have their own separate arcs to resolve.

IMG]http://abload.de/img/gbf3eajfzf.png[/IMG]

Sei, driven by the memories of his father's success, pursues his dream of building the great Gunnpla in the world. This is largely accomplished through a deftly shot, if rather conventional, montage. We see how long and how hard Sei works on his Gunpla both in terms of design and actually building the machine. A brief flashback of Sei's father reinforces this idea.

Reiji, on the other hand, strives to come the greatest Gunpla fighter. First he tackles Mr. Ral, but later on he has to find new sparring partners. In one of the most hilarious sequences in the show, Ral leads Reiji to an underground Zeon Gunpla bar. In classic Gundam form, Reiji demonstrates how much of a badass he is by chosing to fight all the adults in the bar using the weakest robot, the Federation Ball. He even boasts that he'll fight them 5 on 1.

gfb3ehxec9.png

Later, he trains with Ricardo in 200 practice matches. Not only do we see that Reiji's determination is equal to Sei's, we also see his flaws. Only a fool would chose to battle 5 on 1 in a Ball but Reiji gets too emotional for his own good.

At the end of the episode both Sei and Reiji are united and their strengths complement each other perfectly which help them win the 1st round of the qualifiers.

On top of all that this episode features a number of scenes with Yuki, who has already been established as the main rival to our heroes. A lot of work is done to remind you that he's their 'worthy equal'.

gfb3f39e2m.png

Furthermore we spend some time with China and we even get a flashback explaining how she became infatuated with Sei. Rather than just sit passively by she actually choses to go to the Gunpla qualifiers to further understand how Sei thinks and produces his 'art'. At the end of the episode she even goes to Sei's store to by a Gunpla (along with her brother). She's kind of the token 'girl who wants to understand this Gunpla thing' but it's still fairly well done.

One thing that stood out to me watching this original series was how good the music was. I had basically forgotten that this series has a really good score that's implemented very effectively by the director. It's something that you only notice by it's absence in Try.

Oh, it's also worth pointing out this episode features 5 battles none of which featured magic bullshit. In fact, it's many episodes before we see any stupid punching nonsense.

gbf3fjgcgp.png

Stay losing, Gyan-kid.

Midonin

Chaika AB 03

Release the kraken!

I'm not expecting Chaika and the siblings' separation to last long. The story runs on them being together. Even more than the kraken, though, was that dummy at the start of the episode. Creepy dolls are creepy, in 2D or 3D. I want to know what's up with the twin Chaika(?)s. So it appears we're island-bound.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Gundam Build Fighters Try 03
I dunno if I can keep up with this show. Every character is either annoying and cocky or cold and detestable. The main trio of characters have no synergy in battle or outside of it, and these combat scenarios are rewarding the mistakes of its protagonists through incredible contrivances. Also, all the love/romance/sexual frustration is super gross.

I've been letting Try build up some episodes before marathoning them. Shame to read some of these impressions (Although I wasn't a HUGE fan of episode 1)

duckroll

Chaika Avenging Battle - Episode 3

I really liked this episode. Probably the best one so far in season 2. The pacing juggled multiple elements really well, and things just kept happening. They could have wasted a lot of extra time on just getting that one piece of the remains, but instead they set up a really exciting lead-in to the next part of the story. Great stuff. The background designs for the town this week was really weird though. Those colored buildings looked like they were made out of cardboard or something. Reminds me of a fake town or a carnival set.

Jarmel

Banned
This is not the word you're looking for. "Man-obsessed and in need of a good slap" is not "progressive" any more than "saintly irritating peace keeper" is, with or without in-mecha pooping.

Doesn't Dianna in Turn A spend most of her time trying to negotiate for peace, fairly ineffectually?

Well men can be just as pussy whipped and Tomino believes strongly in equal opportunity abuse, it doesn't matter the age or sex.

As for Dianna, that's why I put the 'normally' qualifier in there.

Evangelion 10

Things actually gets a bit tense. It's kinda like one of those submarine movies.

One should always try to look as cool as possible even when saving the world, there's an onsen visit and Asuka got some stuff in the past.

Baby Steps 21:
This is sooner than I expected these two to be playing in a match. But I guess he was going to have to go up against Nabae eventually, so he might as well get it out of the way early and with a nice surprise in order. Physically, Ei-chan has gotten a lot stronger, and his technique has also improved quite a bit. It's a pretty big change to see him able to hit winning shots so effectively and not just rely on his vision for everything. I'm looking forward to seeing how he can pull off the upset.

TUSR

Banned
Evangelion 10

Things actually gets a bit tense. It's kinda like one of those submarine movies.

One should always try to look as cool as possible even when saving the world, there's an onsen visit and Asuka got some stuff in the past.

is seen this fan art before

santeesioux

Who would have thought Wednesday of all days would end up being the best anime day for me with Chaika and Parasyte? Sunday is really good too though.

Tenumi

Banned
Evangelion 10

Ah yes... thermal expansion...

That's the correct episode, right?

Clov

Just watched SeHa Girls 03. This show is a great mix of Gdgd Fairies' humor and references to older Sega games. With Space Channel 5 being one of my favorite games of all time, I loved the second half. I'm seriously excited for the next episode!

Parasyte 3

Well that was quite tense. I think what I really appreciate about this series is that it's gory, but it never feels exploitative or trashy. I was expecting
A to murder to shit out of some people, but the worst they get is slashed (though still probably dead lol).
The relationships between all the characters are also getting pretty crazy. It's been so long since I've watched a show weekly only getting 20 minutes of Parasyte at a time is brutal :p

can't wait till next week!

Pocket Monsters Best Wishes 10:
Ugh, Shootie is just so obnoxious. What a terrible rival. There's no depth there at all, just an obnoxious dude he acts like a jerk just because. And the writers continue undoing all of Satoshi's growth and making him act like a child again. This show is so rage inducing sometimes. I think Best Wishes is actually an experiment in how to destroy a series as quickly as possible.

Chaika AB - 03

Strong episode. Felt like alot of things happened in this one.
Zombie Gilette
, I wonder why the two Guy's saved him back then, since more opponents (especially teamed up) to Chaika is.. bad for the gathering of remains? Unless..
he is Chaika
Looks like an exciting episode ahead, and that both teams are gonna have to cooperate to surpass the dangers on the island.

Pls no bully Toru

Tenumi

Banned
Chaika AB - 03

Strong episode. Felt like alot of things happened in this one.
Zombie Gilette
, I wonder why the two Guy's saved him back then, since more opponents (especially teamed up) to Chaika is.. bad for the gathering of remains? Unless..
he is Chaika
Looks like an exciting episode ahead, and that both teams are gonna have to cooperate to surpass the dangers on the island.

Pls no bully Toru

LOL at censor.

I actually forgot there was a new episode today! Time to watch!

Narag

Gundam Build Fightters Try 3

8OCNTb8l.png

Naruto on the left; Sasuke on the right.
This was like watching an early episode of Naruto. It's kinda bad and going through the motions without the chemistry or soul of the first show. I mean, I appreciate the various franchise references but it's just lacking all around. I told myself if Try was at least half as good as GBF I'd be happy but now I'm growing concerned.

Not to say there isn't hope yet though as a bit of the first season peaked through in the scene between Sekai & Gyanko in the colony during decompression, touching on just how important gunpla is to everyone and how amusingly serious everyone can take it.

[Gundam Build Fighters] - 3

Stay losing, Gyan-kid.

the hell is this??

cajunator

Banned
I know that Shinji is so fucked up and that he should get in the goddamn robot. And that there's characters named Rei and Asuka. Not much more than that :p

Wow. So you really dont know much at all about it. This is exciting!

Golden Boy (dub) 3

Not only is Kintaro a baller, he's also a stand up G. Statues of him should be built across Japan.

He really is. Dude has titanium balls. Youll see even more proof of this pretty soon.

Golden Boy (dub) 4

THE BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAST!!!!!!!!!!

One of the best episodes and probably one of the funniest in all of anime comedy.

That moment might be the best bit in any comedy anime I've seen outside of Gintama. Doug Smith is a hero.

He is also a jerk irl but his portrayal of Kentaro is legendary.

jgminto

I dunno if I can keep up with this show. Every character is either annoying and cocky or cold and detestable. The main trio of characters have no synergy in battle or outside of it, and these combat scenarios are rewarding the mistakes of its protagonists through incredible contrivances. Also, all the love/romance/sexual frustration is super gross.

I'm pretty sure that's the point, they need to learn how to work together as a team.

Chaika - AB - 03

Pretty good episode although there's still little really interesting happen. Which is why I'm glad that this season has only 10 episodes and the show will be over then, meaning we're ramping up to the bigger plot points. While I feel like the world building is rather weak in Chaika and I don't really give a fuck about the world and people inhibiting it, I'm still curious about the whole emperor and Chaika mystery.

Parasyte - 03

A solid episode. The teacher parasite throws up some more questions about how these parasites work and makes Shinichi's situation in school rather interesting. Even if she doesn't have the worst intentions just now it's a rather precarious matter. I'm also pretty darn sure she's going to intervene in the upcoming battle and kill the other parasite in the last second or s.th. like that :>

Evangelion 12

Some backstory gets revealed.

The children are working well together and all they get for all that work is a ramen dinner ;P

Shinji finds a purpose for doing what he does as well. Maybe not the best reason though...

Glad I'm not the only one. The only likeable character is the girl.

phaze

Took some screenshots to compare the Tokyo Ghoul TV to BD. This shit:

In general I don't think there was anything in the first episode that needed censorship. :/

But they kept the head from the second episode censored. It looks ridiculous.

Serial Experiments Lain 2

Man, I've got no idea what's going on but this was some serious acid trip and a great episode.

Earlier I thought that I've seen some artwork depicting adult Lain but then checked it again and realised I was wrong. But now, lo and behold, adult Lain showed up ,even if only for a second.

So this episode introduced some kind of nanomachine drug Accela (those nanomachines are going to be important aren't they ?). In the meantime, Lain seems to have become an internet addict and her very smart father has just gifted her a new super computer. To celebrate, Lain goes clubbing. (I didn't know they let 10 year olds into clubs in Japan.) This being a very educational show neither the newly met drug addict, nor Lain, escape from the party unscathed, to say the least.

Really great episode, I loved all the scenes in the club with their vivid imagery. I've got no clue as to what is happening but that only ads to the already well build tension. So far I'm assuming that Lain and her dead friend have some Kusanagi levels of Internet skills and that drug probably makes its user more susceptible to whatever the hell they're doing ? I dunno. They should have named the show Serial Stares From Lain because the main lead hmmmmm .... stares. A lot

That scare scene in the school was fucking disturbing.

Sega high school girls - 03

EXCELLENT EPISODE
Hi-sCoool%21%20SeHa%20Girl%20-%2003_00.jpg

I don't even know how many people know about this obscure game ...even i had to google it
I don't know what to say , so many obscure références , yet so funny.
Megadrive
who want to study in a war zone
<-- i mean the average person wouldn't even know about this reference
Saturn
married life
Dreamcast
and internet

I'm glad they don't talk only about games all the time , this is actually a fine change of pace considering that each girl personality is actually intresting.

And then this happenned :

Hi-sCoool%21%20SeHa%20Girl%20-%2003_01.jpg

Hi-sCoool%21%20SeHa%20Girl%20-%2003_02.jpg

Hi-sCoool%21%20SeHa%20Girl%20-%2003_03.jpg

BEST ROBOT DESIGN

i laughed , i laughed a lot !!

GBF TRY Episode 3

Ok episode overall. I'm still not liking the fact they keep pulling super moves out of thin air rather then using smarts to win the battles. Also Theonik has ruined a certain character in this show for me, forever.

Episode 3

Ok episode overall. I'm still not liking the fact they keep pulling super moves out of thin air rather then using smarts to win the battles. Also Theonik has ruined a certain character in this show for me, forever.

Yeh I'm not the biggest fan of the anime movie Episode 3 either. :p

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm pretty sure that's the point, they need to learn how to work together as a team.
There is no current demand for them to work as a team. Will it eventually come? Sure, but it's pretty impossible to imagine how whoever was writing the early episodes of Try thought this would be okay. It's just boring really. The main cast doesn't really have much in common, and the only thing tying them together is this nebulous distant tournament. I guess one of them also wants to date the other's sister. Amazing. Even the Gunpla battles themselves fail to really unite the group. we have one guy who is just into it because he doesn't have an outlet in a martial arts club, and another guy who has some dull dark past that made him stop fighting with Gunpla.

As a point of comparison, the original Gundam Build Fighters immediately tied the two main characters together by giving them a shared living space, defined each character's strengths (be it building Gunpla or an internal desire to win), and directly created a space where their interests and abilities could overlap. Try on the other hand does a lot of telling instead of showing. Whiny sniper guy is supposedly an ace builder, but we never really see him inside that space. The Reiji knock-off continues to exist on his own island of idiocy, and we have yet to really establish why he would want to take his abilities into Gunpla specifically. Then there's Hoshino, who hasn't really had any opportunity to shine or display why she is a core member of the team. She is good at getting hit and taking damage for the team though, even if that includes other characters falling on her in real life. Quality Gundam female characters, or something.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Parasyte Episode 3:

Yes, this show really know how to build palpable tension and it is good to know that we find out what happens to Rei after Sailor Moon Crystal.

cajunator

Banned
Girlfriend(Beta) 2
I could've sworn something happened here... Something about dieting I think. I can't seem to recall anything outside of when Chloe said something due to her accent.

Listening to Chloe Lemaire talk is the greatest joy. Sakura Tange's voicework is so mesmerizing.

Golden Boy (dub) 5

Kintaro Oe: the GOAT at life.

Yeah he is. Dude is capable of literally anything.

After months of searching I finally got a Higurashi complete boxset brand new... for a semi-resonable price.

The discs work just fine and the episodes play without a problem. The only issues with the release is that it screams "vanilla edtiion" with the menu screens having no music, or sounds, just a still image of the DVD cover for that particular volume like it came out in 1998.

Ohh nice! I have this set. I went on a Geneon panic buying spree after they folded and ended up with several sets that are way o.o.p. and going upwards in price.
I was pretty upset when they went under.

Horrible.

Sorry, but the marketing released for Higurashi were retarded; only the first season was licensed and released on DVD with a much needed Kai (the second season) not even recognized.

Big fan of Higurashi and good for you that you bought it, but you can't Higurashi without the Kai!

Kai also has the best OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO_wT4mNSFc
This song and the animation accompanying it is very effective.

I'm surprised that you found this at all, the collected edition is quite rare! I still have the DVD singles of it that I bought as they released.

Anyway, the reason that Kai hasn't had a release here was because Higurashi sold absolutely terribly in North America. I can't really picture anyone picking it up ever again. However, I think some Australian company (Siren Visual maybe?) did release Kai on DVD, so you can always import that if you feel like collecting it.

I wanted to watch Kai but it never got licensed so I kind of forgot it existed. What is Umineko about? Apparently the story keeps going.

I started watching a few pupa episodes. This may just be too bizarre for me.

Pupa is weighed down by its run-time. short 5 minute segments is not enough time to tell a story with that kind of detail and it often felt like it was ending right as an important plot point would arrive, which completely obliterated he flow. Parasyte has been allowed to flourish and is a much better show as a result.

Gundam build fighter Try - 03

Still not a fan of this 3 player team season. I get that they must build their teamwork , but i expected something else and certainly not this:

hey i don't dislike the characters ( yet ) but so far they feel inférior to the old cast. I'm still going to keep watching because there is room for improvement

cajunator

Banned
Sailor moon R

The first part of R is probably one of my favorites. I like the love square thing it had going on and the new attacks each of the Sailors gets since that really varied things up, especially since most of the time they seem to rely on only one attack for the entire season and don't bother to use old ones.

Plus Mercury finally gets an offensive attack that's worth a damn

One thing I'll have to say, hands down the Classic beats Crystal when it comes to the Transformations, why? Because they keep them simple and fairly quick in the Classic series where Crystal just goes over the top with tons of unnecessary extra flourishes which only results in drawing them out too darn long.

I definitely differ in opinion regarding R. Having a hell of a time getting through it.
Its nearly Max-Heart levels of boring to me but at least better made than that.
S beckons at the end but getting there seems like a chore.

Tsuritama 1-12 [END]

not bad for a anime fishing lesson with alien twist. the art is quite colorful and did good job to cover CG use in this anime. certainly feel refreshing

FTFY.

they pretty much spread it thin over 10+ years

Tsuritama was a very unexpected treat and one of my favorites in recent years. the art and music alone make it worth the while but it was a nice character development story where the mc got out of his shell and was able to manage his anxiety, while making friends in the process. Plus, aliens.

God damn this is such a good season. Im almost at capacity for shows.

Twintails
Amagi
Fate/stay
Reconguista
Chaika
Inou Battle
Twintails
Shirobako
SAO2
Yuuki Yuuna was Yuusha de Aru

Still need to finish LH and GBF first seasons.

Great list. This season is VERY solid. and you didnt even mention Parasyte.

Im still eternally confused how this whole thing plays out. So This is part of Hanamonogatari? It doesnt seem to be part of Bakemonogatari 2 since that ended with Hitagi. I think. Im just so confused.

Donate them to the local library so other people can discover Hidamari Sketch as well ;P

Hmmm. Possibly, except that I know people will not treat those golden discs with the respect they deserve. They wont appreciate the wideface and treasure it. so I want to sell them to a collector or enthusiast.

Clov

I wanted to watch Kai but it never got licensed so I kind of forgot it existed. What is Umineko about? Apparently the story keeps going.

Umineko is mostly unrelated to Higurashi. There's some references here and there, but it's mostly standalone. It's a murder-mystery taking place on an island, with some supposedly supernatural stuff involved. The anime is pretty bad, since it cuts out several vital clues, and ends halfway through. If you want to experience the story, go for the visual novels. They're much better, though I think they end up going off the rails completely by the end. Still, they have their good parts.

Chaika S2 Episode 3

HVlhSdS.png

Another fantastic episode. Good to see that
Gilette is still alive in some capacity. I legit went OH SNAP when he showed up. I feel like the lead hero is running all this, and it looked like he also had 2 other Chaikas with him? Maybe Gaz' soul went into his body or something.

Action scenes were great. Cute stuff was cute. The Akari bother obsession gag is still funny. The fight with
Shin Acura and Toru / Akari is going to be beast. I can feel it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom