• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Parasyte 3
The show took it another level here considering it shows that not all of them are evil and want to fit in their new found lives.

Does their school not have security cameras?
There were shots of them being destroyed.

Midonin

Miyuki-chan in Wonderland/Mirrorland

I'll begin at the beginning, and when I get to the end, I'll stop.

I'm not planning on watching everything CLAMP-related, but there's a nice cross-section of their work that appeals to me. This is short, and easy to comment on. So, how does it begin?

ICOl9zm.jpg

As dodgy as it is Dodgson-y, I'd say this would be enough to make Lewis Carrol spin in his grave, but the Johnny Depp film did a good enough job of that already. This is a quarter rotation at best.

"But I don't want to go among lewd people," you say.
But you can't help that. They're all lewd in this video. I'm lewd. You're lewd.
How do I know I'm lewd?
I must be, or I wouldn't have watched this.

There's enough versions of Alice in Wonderland out there that this one is but a blip on the cultural consciousness compared to Disney's version or even other anime versions. You have Pandora Hearts, Country of Hearts, Kyousougiga, Kagihime Monogatari (I vote for this one. Always take the magical girl version.) This isn't even the first CLAMP take on it - there was that one Cardcaptor Sakura episode, too. Or the Code Geass special.

So what does this have going for it? Yuri. Not a whole lot of it is consensual, but ooh boy is there yuri. I know a thing about this, when I use that word, it means just what I choose it to mean. No more, no less. The Queen of Hearts' dominatrix outfit in particular is noteworthy. The biggest departure is the Tweedles being a pair of Chinese girls, which makes Syaoran being both of them in CCS make a bit more sense, now.

They show up in the Wonderland portion, but the Carrol books are so frequently mashed together in varying combinations these days that they may as well be the same book. At times, this felt more like an extended music video than an anime, even if it did have a rough narrative. Certainly a curiosity. Kyousougiga or Kagihime are more the kinds of anime that are likely to fill your head with ideas - even if you don't know exactly what they are - but this is easy to digest.

The Eccentric Family 3:
Benten's eyes are great. I love the looks she kept giving in this episode. She definitely commands the presence of every scene she's in.

This is also just a really pleasing show to watch. The art looks gorgeous in just about every scene, and the music is just right. The final scene with them looking down at the city was breathtaking thanks to the great music which was playing.

Mature

Detective Conan Movie 18

Probably one of my least favorite conan movies.
Really? Next to the other movies, I thought it was pretty inoffensive fun. Not exactly memorable though.

The Eccentric Family 3:
Benten's eyes are great. I love the looks she kept giving in this episode. She definitely commands the presence of every scene she's in.

This is also just a really pleasing show to watch. The art looks gorgeous in just about every scene, and the music is just right. The final scene with them looking down at the city was breathtaking thanks to the great music which was playing.
Is this a rewatch?

fertygo

Gundam Build Fighters 2-3

I'm already starting to cringe. Are they really going to pull love triangle/rectangle nonsense? Fucking really?

Sekai's bullshit is what is pissing me off the most right now. He just feels like "Asspulls:The Character". Him also being a flat out idiot isn't helping matters either. Hell Reiji was from a different planet and he seemed to understand and fit into society better than Sekai.

Also good lord is Gyanko a contender for best girl already. That awkward laugh and thick body do all the right things for me.

I don't see any potential for triangle love other than silly one with Sekai, Gyanko and Lacus-esque gaijin princess that Sekai gonna meet in tournament (I only talk out of my ass, but bet its coming)

Fumina seem already settled into that senpai/club captain role.

About Sekai, lets be real his wake-up call is coming after he meet seemingly elite team in the OP, and gonna remedy he can't win with fighting alone.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
BluWacky already corrected the record on SuperS being cancelled (now that's one I've never heard before), but 90% of the entirety of Sailor Moon is anime-original, regardless of season. This is the same old misuse of "filler" to mean "anything that doesn't directly advance a central narrative" and to automatically dismiss anime-original content regardless of purpose or quality. The anime is largely comprised of self-contained stories by design and has a highly divergent structure from the manga.

People just rag on the Doom Tree arc because it's not related to the Silver Millennium when, if you ignore that, it's not appreciably different from the rest of the show aside from its secondary purpose of undoing the finality of S1's ending. Toei didn't plan all 200 episodes in advance and, typically, the first season of any magical girl franchise is scripted in a way in which it can have a definitive ending in the event that the show doesn't perform well enough to warrant more seasons. SuperS backpedals on some of the character development from S but it has some of the best episodic content in the show. Both have essentially the same ratio of self-contained stories to plot advancement as anything in S1, R Black Moon Clan, S, or Stars.

I do admit it has been a very long time since I have watched Super S, maybe my views will change when we get there, but I do not recall fondness over watching that season, but I do admit that I really hate Chibi-Usa and we will get to her in due time. Anyway, The more I explore and revisit the 1990s Sailor Moon series, the more of an oddity it really is. The Tree of Doom arc is most filler in the classical sense of not being manga material and acting as content until the manga material is ready. Also, Sailor Moon episodes are not that self contained in the sense that they are but they are technically part of the overarching plan. It is all part of a very strange dichotomy. That being said, so far the first two eps have sucked the big meat missile.

Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen 2:
This is way too real. There's far too much stuff here that I can connect to my own life. The way Jun goes about his life is pretty much perfect, and it really makes what could be a really out there show feel somewhat genuine. This was a very quiet episode which mostly just involved a character going through his life without saying much, but I was enthralled by it. It was also interesting to see him getting involved in things quickly and getting wrapped up by the doll creation. The ending scenes with the phone messages were very tense.

I vote that using nice.gif to represent finding statutory rape sexy become the newest animegaf in-joke.

lol god damn ice cold.

It was a reference gif, since the entire episode dealt with that exact same topic. Should've thought it through in a forum as heavily moderated as GAF, lesson learned.

I'm just looking for like-minded people.

jesus it's a slaughter, deservedly so though. I thought he meant that others were thinking of the south park reference too since he quoted me.

edit: regardless, poor word choice is my forte. And with the topic at hand, I didn't follow my rule of keeping away from highly-bannable threads.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Ghost Stories (dub) 2

This is a fandub, right? This can't be an official dub.

Oh no, it is very, very real.

Holy shit it's an official dub.

What prompted that decision? Is the original script that shitty or did they have the budget of a double quarter pounder meal?

The original script was incredibly cookie cutter and bad. There was eventually a proper dub of it, but yeah, this is still better.

Narag

Holy shit it's an official dub.

What prompted that decision? Is the original script that shitty or did they have the budget of a double quarter pounder meal?

TV tropes says:

According to voice actor Chris Patton, this was done at the request of the Japanese, who told ADV to do whatever it took to sell the series. The voice actors weren't given scripts, just general storylines and instructions as to content like 'your character comes in and says something belittling to the cop'. It's pretty well agreed that there's no way a played-straight middling-quality Cliché Storm of a horror series would have sparked the same interest.

I'd imagine this would be just straight forgotten now without that dub as I heard the show is pretty unremarkable without it.

So apparently people like Psycho-Pass for real.

http://www.someanithing.com/2301

Btw rip Akame, low sales. low manga sales boost, I guess reading the manga is way to go.

I liked season 1, but maybe I was just starved for noir sci-fi anime. All I know is that I'm more forgiving on anime that I am on western media. New season hasn't even appealed to me too much since my favorite character, which basically held my interest for the show, wasn't starring. I don't know if I'd still like it after another season. I would probably rather watch Ghost in the Shell at that point.

Branduil

Mushishi 11
iP7w4w25FMre5.jpg
iUbqzSAjupeu3.jpg

iqlaF6Za4YJ19.jpg
ib2HCl9EJxwETo.jpg

ibb5LFTKwLijPB.jpg
iD9iwBkMxOwCT.jpg

ikrtHfRLuf5B6.jpg
iYBEfwtD7iNft.jpg

ibzCB2M86OgT4q.jpg
ibwQWTiADmYOQZ.jpg

The background art in this episode was incredible.

Turns out this episode was done by Takuya Igarashi. I know it can be hard to believe watching crap like Captain Earth and Star Driver, but he's actually a pretty capable director when he has good material to work with. A typically bittersweet episode, but I thought it was made more poignant by withholding that flashback until the very end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom