• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evangelion 16

0EL2qxf.jpg

Shinji gets in some deep shit.

And then he got some deep thoughts about himself and everybody else's thoughts about him, or maybe
it's the Eva unit that communicates with him? :p

Well... Anyway... At least we learn that the Eva units are
copies of Adam which was the first Angel from 15 years ago and such.

Jarmel

Banned
Shirobako-3

This is a little overwhelming for me as to how much is happening and it's kind of hard to follow along with the entire process.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hi-sCoool! SeHa Girl 03

I'm just now realizing that the sound used in the beginning of the show is the bootup sound for the Saturn =/, I should have picked up on that the second I heard it. I was never a big SC5 fan, but that's because I was and still am awful at rhythm games.

I wait with eager paitience for the Shenmue episode.
Shenmue's QTE sequences are like rhythm games that haven't been set to music. I really doubt the show will transport them inside Shenmue though.

You know a downside of sharing my Amazon Prime with my family is when the suggested list in the home page is anime and they awkwardly ask if I still watch cartoons. But it's a small price to pay to get Cowboy Bebop BD.

Midonin

YuYuYu 03

Far more heavy on the daily life side than the magical girl side, and I'm okay with that. In any magical girl series, their lives outside battle influence events in the story as much as the magical side of things. I wasn't fond of Karin's overly-militaristic approach to being a hero/magical girl, and looking at the text of the episode, Yuna and company weren't either. She needed to loosen up and learn to not be afraid to be cute, have fun, learn the power of friendship. It's a much quicker conversion than Kyoko had, but this show is as much about a group of friends as it is a group of heroes fighting an incomprehensible enemy. Welcome to the fold, Karin.

Red, blue, green, pink, yellow. That's a standard Sentai lineup if I ever saw one.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm curious, is anyone here watching Shirobako who didn't have a clue as to how anime is made, prior to watching the show?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I thought there was a magic "Animate!" button in Photoshop that makes the images go zoom.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I thought there was a magic "Animate!" button in Photoshop that makes the images go zoom.
To zoom in Photoshop you have to make it a 3D layer and then despair. Honestly, don't even bother.

Most of the cleverer gifs don't use Photoshop but movie editors. You will have access to fancy things like tracking tweens and whatnot. I unfortunately have to still deal with frame by frame editing so don't have the luxury of proper zooming and rotation.

I'm curious, is anyone here watching Shirobako who didn't have a clue as to how anime is made, prior to watching the show?

I mean, I wasn't completely clueless about the process, but I can't say I knew a huge amount about the nitty gritty. The show has been pretty enlightening so far in terms of putting all the pieces together of stuff I was maybe only vaguely aware of, or sometimes didn't even know at all.

Oh hey, Woofington's back.

I'm not watching Shirobako, but I can say that I know that some really crazy shit can happen during the process of anime making.

Wasn't there an article or an interview posted a while back that involved a Studio Ghibli production with abysmal working conditions that did a lot of damage on people's health? I think it was either last thread, or the thread before.

And then there was the fact that the finale of Kill la Kill aired liked, 6 hours after it was completed. So I can only imagine what kind of hell people were going through at Trigger at the time.

Midonin

Twintail 03

The only time I can think of that a Sentai team were international celebrities was in Goseiger, and even that was only a one-off thing. They don't fight all over the world either. Kyoryuger had that in its Christmas episodes... but the way this series is handling the Sentai elements, free from the constraints of live action, is closer to Samurai Flamenco than anything else. The way the heroes are being gathered one after one hasn't really happened since Dairanger, either. Red is usually the last to join, if they gather together, at all. So in some regards, the structure of the show is closer to a magical girl series, even if it's a Sentai show in all other respects.

Being able to use the other attributes is certainly a Ridiculous Power, and I'm looking forward to the combined weapon they're hinting at in the opening. The media painting Aika as a villain is... sort of understandable given the circumstances, but also a bit odd. Yuka Aisaka was never really a name I knew before, but between Aika here and Muse in Amabri, one could say she's really making a splash this season.

The dynamic between Twoearle and Aika is pretty great. I know Mayayan put out a video of her doing dirty jokes a while ago, and now it's feeling like that may as well have been an audition tape for this role. Definitely my favorite Thursday show, in a bunch of pretty great shows otherwise. (Check out Akibaranger, please.)

I only know how South Park gets made :p

I know a little bit, but not the full details.

Wasn't there an article or an interview posted a while back that involved a Studio Ghibli production with abysmal working conditions that did a lot of damage on people's health? I think it was either last thread, or the thread before.

Death from overwork and everything.

Ping Pong 4:
My god at that match between Kazama and Kong. Everything was just so amazing. Out of this world visuals and music making it one of the most striking things yet in this show. That was the high point of the episode, but there were a lot of good moments, and some good character work on display. There's a nice variety in the different attitudes everyone has to the sport, as well as all the different play styles.

mankoto

Shirobako-3
This is a little overwhelming for me as to how much is happening and it's kind of hard to follow along with the entire process.
Isn't that the point of the episode in a way? Aoi was running herself ragged since she had so much on her plate and even had to relieve stress by going into her own little world in the middle of work. I wouldn't doubt that everything that happened in those three days were a giant blur to her since she was always on the move and things kept changing on her.

I've always had a vague idea of how it worked in general. As in, I knew that the animation wasn't drawn on site for the most part. But things like "key animation," and "inbetweening," I'm lost on. I have an idea on what they do and what they're for based on name alone, but other than looking at things in detail I'm lost on.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Welcome back Admiral

I have the idea, based on that Doraemon chapter about animation. I didn't really know the detail like in betweener or key frame

Necrovex

Suppose I should finally plow through the Monogatari series. Will I go completely insane and become an avid anime Gaffer after going through such an endeavor?

Psycho Pass S2 - 03

Meh, this isn't going to hold my interest for much longer. I don't find any of the characters interesting/likeable but Togane.
Honestly I can't even remember the names of most of the cast, and I binged S1 a few months ago. Kogami and zombie makishima you need to hurry the fuck up.
pJMqJdN.jpg

I'm just waiting for this guy to snap

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Suppose I should finally plow through the Monogatari series. Will I go completely insane and become an avid anime Gaffer after going through such an endeavor?

That or quit anime forever.

Midonin

April 03

Kousei's starting to get out of his funk. After being bombarded with musical scores and Kaori's persistent persistentness, but he was doubting himself to the point that a bit of force was needed. Though Risa Taneda's English isn't nearly as amusing as Sakura Tange's broken Japanese over in GFB, that English performance of "Twinkle, Twinkle" was a cute little moment. Two people on a bike may be forbidden by law (thank you, end card), but for the purposes of narrative, it's getting the job done. The characters are going to open up the world of music for us, and I look forward to seeing if the music can open up the world of the characters for us. It's doing a good job of that already.

Your Lie in April 3:
Things are moving a bit faster than I expected. This episode had more physical comedy than the previous two, which I wasn't too crazy about, but the rest of the episode was really nice. I continue to really like the art and music for the show, and the scenes between Kousei and Kaori are pretty nice. Their relationship is forming into something distinct, and we're getting to see more about how each of them feel about music. Next episode should be the really big one, especially since we should be in for another really captivating performance. The theme of seeing the world with more color continues to be played up, so I expect this to continue and also play some into Kousei possibly starting to hear music again in a similar manner (or at least play into how he could perform even if he's having issues hearing his own music).

Parasyte 3

Man, this show is just a great adaptation. They did a fantastic job introducing
Reiko and A, and I loved the bit where the maid dropped her tray when she overheard their conversation.
The plot is moving pretty quickly, which I'm kind of ambivalent about. On one hand, we're getting to a lot of huge stuff that much faster, but I also really enjoyed the slow burn of mystery in the manga. That's still here in the show to a point, but it doesn't linger for as long. I guess that's to be expected since they seem like they're fitting the entire thing into 24 episodes. I was kind of surprised that we were already getting to
A attacking Shinichi at the school as that's when the plot really starts to get bonkers
. Next episode should be great with
the showdown between the two
and, I'm assuming, (manga spoilers)
Shinichi's mother's death.

I'm not really sure what the spoiler policy is here but I guess it's safer to be heavy handed than accidentally spoil someone of something.

jman2050

I've seen enough behind the scenes stuff on Disney films to have the very vaguest idea on the actual work behind the animation process but I don't know how applicable that is to a TV anime production.

One thing that strikes me is just how much outside contracting work is required to get anything done.

Not really. I still dont really understand all the various stages of drawing and animations. Not to mention how work is broken down and how all the pieces fit together.

I imagined it was tough, but this looks absolutely brutal.

Link Man

Banned
Pretty Guardian Sailor Twin-Tail 3

Soji explores his new body, Twoearle continues to be best, and Aika becomes Mega Man. This show keeps on firing on all cylinders!

Flowers of Evil 6:
Having things going slightly better for Kasuga during the first part of the episode only added to the growing sense of terror. You just knew that things were going to start to fall apart again, which made it strangely fascinating to watch. I feel like I need to come up for air after watching all of that. Kasuga's overly idealized view of purity is certainly going to bring him even more pain as this goes on. And there's yet more proof about how middle school kids are the worst human beings out there.

mankoto

Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru 3
Didn't think they'd bring in a new party member so soon. And after rewatching the OP and ED, she wasn't in neither. Sure the previous episode brought up the possibility of there being more than them as the chosen few, but I figure that would be saved for an endgame sort of thing where the final vertex would need more the one group to beat it.

That said, the group warped her quite well to fit inside their group. She started off completely reluctant to join them and acted like she owned the place only to tone it down to being the usual tsundere. Sort of surprised it didn't take her butt getting kicked to value them.

Yuki yuna wa yusha de Aru - 03
I think this is a perfect example of calm before the storm and at this point i'm fully expecting some delirious twist later ..

but as of now this is alright ... TSUNDERE GET !!
Yuki%20Yuna%20wa%20Yusha%20de%20Aru%20-%2003.jpg

Friendship GET

Friendship RULES

Shirobako - 03

Hot damn this is good. A show demonstrating a certain work process in such detail, in this case of anime productions, is always great to provide some appreciation for the art/work. This being just a great anime overall on top of that is just awesome.

This and Parasyte are certainly my top picks so far, and it goes without saying that Shirobako is the bigger surprise.

Mr.Jeff

Glass Fleet - 11
Well Vetti's past was uh, something. Although I guess that explains a lot about him. Cleo and the rebels remain absolutely 100% boring.

Yamato 2199 - 05
Y'know, for all that it houses, the Yamato is a pretty small ship and yet it doesn't seem nearly as cramped as you'd imagine. Also it amuses me that the act of using a giant laser for anything non-peaceful never occurred to anyone until that one genius commander on Pluto.
Edit: Also, the ship sinks but no explosion. You don't feel suspicious???

PSYCHo-PASS 2 - 03

I'm liking this turn of events ...

This season 2 lacks the polish this serie should have ( maybe for the blu-rays ) but so far i'm liking the plot .

It's still so stupid that an enforcer can't handle normal people once their "dominator" is locked..martial arts ? maybe ? No any Cqc training ? pff
Even then i guess they would be scared to see their hue clouded to do anything , lol

Midonin

Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru 3
Didn't think they'd bring in a new party member so soon. And after rewatching the OP and ED, she wasn't in neither. Sure the previous episode brought up the possibility of there being more than them as the chosen few, but I figure that would be saved for an endgame sort of thing where the final vertex would need more the one group to beat it.
There is a light novel series (Sumi Washio is a Hero) set in the same universe, so there's at least three others out there who may cross over at some point.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 9:
What a lovely character piece, with the story narration throughout the episode and the usage of the music being very effective. Although a standard sci-fi story, this was executed extremely well.
I wish poor Alter could have at least met his goddess before his death.
Compared to previous episodes which were more grand in scale, this episode was very much focused on just a couple of characters, and it worked out great. Just a very fine piece of television.

Kagami77

Neo Member
http://kagami77.imgur.com/

Upcoming events I'll be going to are Ai Nonoka/Mikami Shiori event at Waseda University (11/1), the Wake Up Girls School Festival Live at Chuo University (11/2), the UcchiKussun Event at Gakushuin University (it's culture festival season in Japan), the Hanayamata Festival (11/16), and the WUG vs I-1 Girls Festa (12/14). There will also be Jump Festa coming up, and my Comiket circle will be participating in C87, and the Love Live concert next February.

I do write-ups for most of the events I go to, so if there's any event you're more curious about you can ask.

http://kagami77.imgur.com/

Upcoming events I'll be going to are Ai Nonoka/Mikami Shiori event at Waseda University (11/1), the Wake Up Girls School Festival Live at Chuo University (11/2), the UcchiKussun Event at Gakushuin University (it's culture festival season in Japan), the Hanayamata Festival (11/16), and the WUG vs I-1 Girls Festa (12/14). There will also be Jump Festa coming up, and my Comiket circle will be participating in C87, and the Love Live concert next February.

I do write-ups for most of the events I go to, so if there's any event you're more curious about you can ask.

You have an intresting schedule.
I - It's not like i'm jealous or anything , d-don't get me wrong !

fertygo

Shirobako - 03
ibgNg3Nmxde10L.jpg

So some dude got paid enough to buy huge ass tv in the industry?
This show always felt longer than 20 minute airtime in a good way, I learned some thing like the process of frame checking and what that happened if an character art became insanely good in certain eps, I guess that what happened when an talented staff checking the process and did some detailing (probably what happened when an Toei show featuring guy like Umakoshi etc)

Btw no wonder the general checker like Aoi is usually that caught on suicide news, damn..

cajunator

Banned

Wait, Fantasista dolls bluray came out? how did I miss that?!
I need to keep up better with releases. thought I was >_<

From what I understand (haven't read the LN or anything) Hana chronologically the last thing that ever happens. Araragi is graduated, Kanbaru is a third year, life has moved on. This upcoming stuff are things that happen after the Hitagi end I think? Might need someone who read the books to shine some light.

Thanks yall for helping me out. Its a really confusing setup. So many names of arcs and such.

The Last Guardian

:(

BluWacky already corrected the record on SuperS being cancelled (now that's one I've never heard before), but 90% of the entirety of Sailor Moon is anime-original, regardless of season. This is the same old misuse of "filler" to mean "anything that doesn't directly advance a central narrative" and to automatically dismiss anime-original content regardless of purpose or quality. The anime is largely comprised of self-contained stories by design and has a highly divergent structure from the manga.

People just rag on the Doom Tree arc because it's not related to the Silver Millennium when, if you ignore that, it's not appreciably different from the rest of the show aside from its secondary purpose of undoing the finality of S1's ending. Toei didn't plan all 200 episodes in advance and, typically, the first season of any magical girl franchise is scripted in a way in which it can have a definitive ending in the event that the show doesn't perform well enough to warrant more seasons. SuperS backpedals on some of the character development from S but it has some of the best episodic content in the show. Both have essentially the same ratio of self-contained stories to plot advancement as anything in S1, R Black Moon Clan, S, or Stars.

Its just not very interesting to me. I dont think theres anything fundamentally wrong with Doom Tree. I never realized how much filler was in SM until I saw Crystal.

lol god damn ice cold.

It was a reference gif, since the entire episode dealt with that exact same topic. Should've thought it through in a forum as heavily moderated as GAF, lesson learned.

Lesson being think before you post. Also, stay the hell out of OT unless its about sunshine and kittens.

I'm just looking for like-minded people.

WHat would you consider to be like minded?
I like cuteness and hugging penguins and love. And some other things.

Mushishi 11

Turns out this episode was done by Takuya Igarashi. I know it can be hard to believe watching crap like Captain Earth and Star Driver, but he's actually a pretty capable director when he has good material to work with. A typically bittersweet episode, but I thought it was made more poignant by withholding that flashback until the very end.

Why are those trees turning colors? I dont understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom