• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link Man

Banned
Shirobako 3

This show is very exhausting. I'm interested in the overall plot, but I don't even remember anybody's name and everything just feels rather impersonal to me. And I think the number of anime I'm watching this season is starting to exhaust me as well (we have truly been cursed with blessings), so I think I may put this on the backlog for now.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I can't tell if this is on purpose, and what effect that has on how funny this is.
44SXVeJ.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Suppose I should finally plow through the Monogatari series. Will I go completely insane and become an avid anime Gaffer after going through such an endeavor?

yes you will go insane.
youll like it though!
Being insane isnt so bad!

Pretty Guardian Sailor Twin-Tail 3

Soji explores his new body, Twoearle continues to be best, and Aika becomes Mega Man. This show keeps on firing on all cylinders!

Hnnnngh. Truly the anime of the year.

Yuki yuna wa yusha de Aru - 03
I think this is a perfect example of calm before the storm and at this point i'm fully expecting some delirious twist later ..

but as of now this is alright ... TSUNDERE GET !!

Friendship RULES

This show is so cute but its projecting that something very bad is going to happen.

on another note those monsters look very familiar for some reason.

Bahamut 03

I'm liking Kaisar and his whole dynamic with Favaro. I know its just the cliched "Red Oni, Blue Oni" but I feel they do it well enough here where I don't think its that grating. Great animation as usual, and some really awesome looking designs for heaven and such. I feel like too many people are sleeping on this show. Just because its an adaptation of a phone game doesn't mean its incapable of being great.

Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen 3:
This episode really made effective use of its music in order to build up the dramatic moments. The visuals were also pretty nice, giving the backgrounds the appropriate feel and keeping some relatively simple scenes feeling dynamic. Even though a lot of the episode just consisted of texting, the conversations felt real.

Jun's an easy character to sympathize with, between his shitty work situation and his memories of how his life got messed up back in middle school. I think a lot of viewers can probably relate to his general situation, even if not the specifics. His work situation feels pretty natural, and I liked the small way that Saito stuck up for him. It felt real, in that she kind of stood up for him, but did so in a way that she wasn't really actually sticking her own neck out or anything.

Don't know what to think of this. The premise is very anime, but the combination with Blink 182.0 soundtrack reminds me a bit too much of Titan AE. Might be worth a watch once it comes out though.

sonicmj1

KuwabaraTheMan's backlog of Yamato, Flowers of Evil, Ping Pong, The Eccentric Family, and Rozen Maiden Z is a pretty fantastic suite of shows from the last two years.

Gazoinks

KuwabaraTheMan's backlog of Yamato, Flowers of Evil, Ping Pong, The Eccentric Family, and Rozen Maiden Z is a pretty fantastic suite of shows from the last two years.

Yeah, I'm kind of jealous. Although watching FoE and Rozen Maiden at the same time seems really depressing.

Maybe one of these days I can start watching anime like a normal person instead of ignoring it and then binge watching a bunch of stuff like this (probably not).

Yeah, I'm kind of jealous. Although watching FoE and Rozen Maiden at the same time seems really depressing.

Yeah, Flowers of Evil alone is already feeling like I'm staring into the abyss a little bit.

Jarmel

Banned
Your Lie in April-3
This was an extremely strong episode. The direction is on fucking point at times. Yes it's drama laden but I don't really feel it's artificial or forced but rather the characters themselves are dramatic. I'm sure the heavy drama is coming though. The comedy does seem awkward occasionally as the show does the dramatic moments way better than the comedic ones, which is extraordinarily rare for this to be case.

That said, I find the lead character's introspection rather fascinating. His infatuation with blonde genki girl is a little annoying but he does put up some resistance so he doesn't feel like a walkover.

The OST in this episode was phenomenal. Really great stuff with all the piano work. This is the first episode this season where I was really blown back by an OST in a positive way.

jman2050

Twintails 3

So are these alien dudes even trying to defeat Tailred? Seems like they're content to just exert their fetis-- I mean attribute on her for their own amusement.

So we have Fefnir and Leviathan, does this mean Harpuia is next? I mean yeah the other girl is yellow but that's a minor detail!

Show is still oh so stupid but in a good way.

Branduil

Happy birthday Nafe.

Chaika: Avenging Battle 3

iJ4hkVT06u6E4.jpg
ikF3hxoli2It2.jpg

This week on "Hipster Cuisine with Chaika."

What kind of spear was that guy using? It looked more like just a really long mace.
More Chaikas, and this time they're twins,
because anime. SMH at Fredrica jobbing again. She deserves better from this show.

The World is Still Beautiful 7:
Man, I haven't seen tone shifting this much since Fractale. We go from cross dressing comic relief to love triangle hijinks to personal drama to rape allusions to forced melodrama and torture plans all in less than 22 minutes. I guess that's efficient? I don't even know what this show was about anymore. At least she didn't sing the song this time.

Ojamajo Doremi - 28

Yeesh, this show set up and concluded a love-rectangle faster than every single harem anime in existence.

EDIT: Oops, forgot this, so happy belated Birthday Nafe!

Syrinx

Ghost Stories (dub) 5

The comedic dub is good for openly recognizing the parts that are completely stupid, like piano ghost mimicking stupid nerdy dweeb in the phone booth to draw Satsuki out there.

Jex

[G Reco] - 5

Tomino is putting all those other imitators to shame. The and only true Gundam show this season!

fertygo

Amagi - 04

Pretty good eps, might've the best eps so far.. I like the introspection of Sento character, its does highlighting her fault, and soldier background also make sense.,

The show continuing to be melancholic as hell..

Astro Fighter Sunred

This show...it's fucking beautiful, man.
The voice acting is so good in this show. It practically carries it along with the comedy, since there's not much in the animation department, which is fine because there doesn't need to be and it's by no means an ugly show.
It has a humongous cast of characters, but every time one of them showed up I was always happy and anticipating the segment.
The Openings are amazing. Some of the best I've ever seen. I didn't skip either once, and I skip a lot of OPs. I have a fetish for OPs that change even slightly mid season, be it in lyrics or animation, and this show did that a lot. They are furthered in amazement by how they show a whole bunch of huge fight scenes and powerups for Sunred in typical sentai fashion, and then none of that ever happens in the show. The first ED is even weirder in that it's just a guy singing a recipe for chicken casserole.
This is a real role reversal show, and it's such a good one. Sunred, the "hero" has no job, smokes, is addicted to pachinko, mooches off his girlfriend, is overly violent and angry and is kind of a dick all around. Vamp, the main "villain" is super housewife, polite, caring for his monster subordinates, involved in the community, and also wants to conquer the world.
These two alone could make a great show, but it's the monsters (plus some other characters like Sunred's girlfriend Kayoko, and more seldom seen people) that add flavor to this formula. The shows typical fashion is Vamp inviting Sunred to a fight so they can beat him to take over the world, usually with a new tactic or monster. Sunred then beats them in one hit, and yells at them. This never gets old. Ever.
THIS SHOW TEACHES YOU HOW TO FUCKING COOK, MAN.
What do I even have to look forward to anymore.

I guess I'll just start the next series on my list, which will likely surprise a bunch of people that I haven't seen it/finished it

TUSR

Banned
Happy birthday Nafe.

Chaika: Avenging Battle 3

What kind of spear was that guy using? It looked more like just a really long mace.
More Chaikas, and this time they're twins,
because anime. SMH at Fredrica jobbing again. She deserves better from this show.

Just wait.

Twintails 3

Twintails
Twintails
AOTY
Twintails
Twintails

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shirobako 3
This show is too real.
I don't know why, but shit usually happen near deadline. It's like the universe conspire to wreck your shit up. And boy, the tension is really insane. We have several worker staying till late night only to come back to office early. So yeah, a very good episode, and i applaud the name mentioning every episode, because i still can't remember their name.

Taruranto

Butt Buddies S2 #2

Hey, that's a penis.

So apparently there was a super-cannon in space never heard before that somehow is OVER NINE THOUSAND more powerful that previous super-cannon (despite the fact that firing said super-cannon more than once was said to be impractical since it would deplete most of the country resources).

Also there is a coup-d'etat in Zogilla and then another one 5 minutes later.

Oh well. At least they explained from Hina came from.

Blusby

Shirobako 03: I'm in love, this series is so far one of the few that I genuinely look forward to each week and I just learned that it'll be 2 cours, the ride's here to last.

Jarmel

Banned
Amagi Brilliant Park-4
ibnU95OiaibHUc.jpg

Well damn it.
This was far and away the best episode of the four. I don't think the comedic direction was as strong as the first episode but the comedic material itself was really solid. There wasn't really any Fumoffu/Kanye fighting as the two seem to have come to an understanding. This instead was a much more melancholic episode than the first three.
This episode was really all about Sento and her own problems/issues. It's clear that Sento was a very large, if not the major, reason why the park was going under. The show not only established how Kanye is a good manager but also how Sento was a bad one. Both leads are in large ways, the products of their upbringing. Sento is a soldier through and through and so she has problems trying to convince or sway people to do what she wants. She expects people to obey orders without question but she also knows that she's a failure in leadership. She really does feel like a female Sousuke at times. I found her reaction, to being outshone by Kanye and essentially told that she's deadweight, to be surprisingly normal. She wants to help out but she knows she's useless and so when a competent person shows up, it only highlights her own flaws that much more. The ending of the episode did give her at least one victory under her belt so she doesn't seem completely useless.
One thing I like about the show so far is that Kanye has already fucked up a lot. He's apparently very good at managing but he also makes mistakes. Most shows I feel would have set him up as a god character and might have him stumble down the road later in a big dramatic moment. Here however, the show does point out that he's not a miracle worker and the park isn't exactly skyrocketing even with the changes implemented in the last episode. I'm not sure what to make of his
fear of heights as it seems it's a big plot point related to his mother and possible emotional trauma there, not to mention the big ass dragon lurking in the park
. I loved his big speech moment at the bottom of the stairs as it wasn't for Sento but more for himself. That's why I was fine with the bad laugh because he was forcing himself to laugh at himself. I also liked how he didn't apologize for his earlier remarks, I feel most anime protagonists would have said that they were out of line or whatever. I do think the transition after the speech was a little awkward though.
I was starting to get annoyed with the repetition of the tracks in the OST but then the final one at the end of the episode made me smile. Those saxophones man. There wasn't anything really stellar on an animation standpoint other than Kanye' big speech. I do think there were a number of smaller moments but they stood out due to the direction and atmosphere moreso than anything related to the animation.
I though Pedotops was my favorite mascot but after today's episode I think it goes either to Tirami or Totodile.

The first arc of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni comes to mind. Four episodes, relatively self-contained, creepy.

Hm... Not this time. Gonna watch all of that myself later on :p

Alien nine
Cat soup
Blood the last vampire

Wasurenagumo.

Afterschool Midnighters. CG film about spooky and funny things in a school. Go in blind and with no expectations and you'll have a good time!

Curse of Kazuo Umezu

Thanks!

Another maybe? It's basically Final Destination: The Anime.

Already watched.

Anime Mirai 2014: Harmonie

Wow. That was a really good short. I enjoyed it immensely. The world imagined had a really good setting and that could be an anime in itself and the school story was kept interesting throughout as well. Highly recommended.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Your Lie in April-3
The OST in this episode was phenomenal. Really great stuff with all the piano work. This is the first episode this season where I was really blown back by an OST in a positive way.
The guy who is scoring this is also working on Robin Hood in Anime Boobland this season.

fertygo

Amagi Brilliant Park-4
*snip"

I like Sento's little meltdown is personal reason and rather egoistical than "I must save Latifa-sama" bullcrap that I kinda expecting.

Is KyoAni pretty much rewriting the show? the direction and atmosphere still not quite what expected from the premise and what people dooming over the manga adaptation.

jgminto

Anime Limited have unboxed the Blu-ray for HAL, don't know what it is about but the art-style looks interesting.

From the studio that brought you ATTACK ON TITAN! lol :p

A shoujo romance, clearly. Don't even need to read a synopsis to know that.

javac

Anime Limited have posted about a new license they just announced at MCM.

Glasgow, UK 25 October, 2014 - Anime Limited, the Glasgow-based anime licensing company and parent company of All the Anime, are pleased to announce the release of the Gankutsuou (The Count of Monte Cristo) for the UK.

Albert is a young man of privilege in Paris, but the trappings of his aristocratic birth leave him bored and unsatisfied. Seeking adventure, Albert’s restless spirit leads him to a festival on the moon – and to the Count of Monte Cristo.

An enigmatic man of charm and wealth, the Count of Monte Cristo’s charisma and sophistication captivate Albert. The fascinated youth invites the nobleman to mingle within the upper echelons of Parisian society, and the Count is soon courting the favor of France’s most powerful families. Little does Albert know, as his new friend walks the ornate halls of the highest class, the Count of Monte Cristo wants only to bring them crashing down through vengeance.

Gankutsuou will be released in the UK on home video – blu-ray and DVD – and on video on demand by Anime Limited. Andrew Partridge, president of Anime Limited says: “It’s great to be able to release this classic series – based on a classic piece of literature- here in the UK and on blu-ray too! I really enjoyed this series when it was first out and I’m glad to bring it back to the front of people’s minds. What can I say? We were due a classic release anyway!”

Gankutsuou’s release date is yet to be confirmed in 2015.

Link

BluWacky

Just quoting my favourite part of the press release, thanks javac for posting:

Gankutsuou will be released in the UK on home video – blu-ray and DVD – and on video on demand by Anime Limited. Andrew Partridge, president of Anime Limited says: “It’s great to be able to release this classic series – based on a classic piece of literature- here in the UK and on blu-ray too! I really enjoyed this series when it was first out and I’m glad to bring it back to the front of people’s minds. What can I say? We were due a classic release anyway!”

Yes, we ARE due a classic release. Like THE ESCAFLOWNE BLURAYS YOU ANNOUNCED FOR Q4 2014 AND HAVE GIVEN US NO NEWS ON WHICH ARE CLEARLY NOT COMING OUT THIS YEAR.

Also, as I've mentioned on here before the original Japanese Blurays of Gankutsuou reputedly look dreadful, so hopefully there will be some work done on this new transfer.

It's only been a few years since I bought Funimation's DVD collection of the show and I have absolutely no intention of ever watching them - I bought them to legitimise my original viewing. Not sure I'll bother with the Blurays as a result, but it's a good choice of show.

This is the first time that Gankutsuou has been released in the UK for reasons that probably involve Manga being twats.

Doubtful. Most of Geneon's licenses didn't make it to the UK back in the days when the show was originally licensed, and it doesn't fit the traditional UK anime demographic (i.e. it's a bit artsy-fartsy and you can't sell it with tits on the cover).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom