• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naruto Shippuden 383

Quite the few rousing speeches happening again.

Still say they should have used the Shikamaru one at the end of the last episode.

cajunator

Banned
It's a shame how the show treats its best character.

well chaika is THE best but I love Fredrica a lot too. She is quite entertaining with her many forms, ranging from badass to adorable and the show does make it a point to put her through a lot of hell.

Well, Del Toro mentions Eva in both the commentaries and the behind the scenes material multiple times.

Nice Enjoy Steins;Gate.

You're the meanest one here ;P

Ah I see. thats what I get for not watching the commentaries.

The usual list:

Monogatari Series

1st Season:
* Bakemonogatari (15 episodes)
* Kizumonogatari (one movie... eventually)
* Nisemonogatari (11 episodes)
* Nekomonogatari (Kuro) (4 episodes)

2nd Season:
* Nekomonogatari (Shiro) (5 episodes)
* Kabukimonogatari (4 episodes)
* Hanamonogatari (5 episodes)
* Otorimonogatari (4 episodes)
* Onimonogatari (4 episodes)
* Koimonogatari (6 episodes)

Final Season:
* Tsukimonogatari (4 episodes)
* Koyomimonogatari (?)
* Owarimonogatari (?)
* Zoku-Owarimonogatari (?)

Next Season:
* Tsugimonogatari (?)
(... and more?)

Wikipedia also has a list of the novels, complete with the names of the individual stories.

Yep.

Tsukimonogatari is, yes, but not all of the Final Season takes place after Koimonogatari. We go back in time here and there.

This is still blowing my mind. Wasnt Hana the last thing to come out? why is it grouped with Bakemonogatari 2?

Oh shit, I think my Log Horizon part 1 shipped yesterday.

And Otorimonogatari should be shipping in a few hours too.

Squeeeeeee
I have both on order but Im not sure if they will ship soon or not. Having trouble keeping up with all of it! (I order too much)

Pics of the UK KLK Blu-ray set, part 1 of 3. Out this November 3rd. Looks nice but I may have to cancel for the time being and get it later.

Looks good! How many volumes will the US set be?

The thing is, with a quote that good they can't get away with just slapping it on some removable obi! They'd have to have it on screen at all time!

Also, Anime Limited seem to be selling early copies of Space Dandy on Blu-ray at MCM Expo. It comes with an exclusive reversible cover and you can get it by showing proof of purchase of the standard or collectors edition or just purchase the Blu-ray at the stand. Watanabe-san will also be there to sign them.

SO JELLY!

Also volumes suck. Just sell me the complete show in one set.

Also which cover is the exclusive cover out of all those designs?

Volumes are alright if they arent overpriced. I can see your point though. Having been used to cheap bluray sets for a while. Weve been pretty lucky.

The problem the market has is that it is selling to an audience that has already seen the show. That's not how to grow a market. If one can buy the whole show with no thrills for £20-£30 people who have just heard of the show or even just perusing the shop (I mean, a quote on the front and a blurb on the back of that KLK box does indicate they want to sell to curious browser) and come across it are more likely to buy it. There's no incentive to buy part of a show with trinkets you likely have no interest in, especially if the volume in stock is not the first one. Why would you buy part 2 before part 1? And those who have seen it may not even have an incentive to watch it again, and they are likely already using streaming services to watch these shows. So basically, all you're left with is a tiny market.

There are other flaws like anime in the UK not even appearing on TV so you can't even gain an audience like other TV shows can. It's such a flawed business so it is no wonder that most anime studios struggle to even make a tiny bit of profit.

It boggles my mind that an industry that has been around several decades still cant figure out a working model to make all anime available to everyone.

Aikatsu 105

Hinaki's more or less officially in the group now, nice. She's on her way to becoming my favorite of them. Hinaki's past isn't too bad - this is a super family-friendly show - but it's always nice to see parents in shows like these. Especially since the chances of Ringo showing up again are pretty unlikely.

Id like to watch some of aikatsu, but Daisuke seems to be missing video files or something. When I go to stream it says video not found. Weirdly, they have episode #2 so I guess I could start there.

cajunator

Banned
Apparently I need to watch parasyte after all these glowing reviews

Hell yeah you need to watch it! Its very good if you like body horror stuff.

the count down to twin tails begins

Truly these are the golden years of anime!

Shirobako episode 03

People make anime, but anime make people crazy

But at least Director is right, the new version is better

Poor girl
*hugs Aoi

Evangelion 13

Alright.

Well, there's organic computers with biblical names, some kind of evolutionary computer virus and lots of technobabble. And we learn a bit about how the Eva's function.

Now you're getting to the meat of it. The next episodes impressions should be fascinating.

Well, I do agree that Fredrica should have more screen time, she's the best!

Shes cute cute cuuuuuute!

Denki-Gai 4
Every episode of this is less funny than the one that came before it. Less Hio-tan would help.

Episode 2 was pretty :cnet
After that Im not sure what to think of this show. Is episode 3-4 like that?

the collaboration the people wanted is coming.
It's for the video game.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ta-game-adds-sword-art-online-costumes/.80261
KWvp0Y6.jpg

m6csSzv.jpg

KILL IT WITH THE FIRES OF HELL

Unless they deviate a ton from the novels, Fredrica should be front and center within a couple of episodes.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker Episode 148 (engDUB)
B0lhz5aCcAIg6z_.png

Miwa is incredible duelist. One episode I was complaining about his skills next episode Im blown away. I need that Dauntless Dominate Dragon "Яeverse" .

Mr.Jeff

Yamato 2199 - 06 I have no complaints about this episode really. The incompetency of the enemy can be placed at them being a throwaway squadron who were stationed there because they were originally meant to be facing a weak enemy.

Glass Fleet - 12
A thorough indication that characters in glasses are (mostly) bad. Must say I was expecting things to come to a head like this. Pride before a fall I guess. Maybe that resonance thing between Vetti and Cleo will be explained at some point.

cajunator

Banned
Shirobako-3

This is a little overwhelming for me as to how much is happening and it's kind of hard to follow along with the entire process.

I havent seen this episode yet but this kind of frenetic pace is the sort of thing that goes on in our dispatch center all night usually. I thrive in that sort of pressured work environment. Maybe I should be an animator lol.

You know a downside of sharing my Amazon Prime with my family is when the suggested list in the home page is anime and they awkwardly ask if I still watch cartoons. But it's a small price to pay to get Cowboy Bebop BD.

My Dad never asks about that but he knows I watch them. He just think its all stupid and a waste of time and money.
theres no value in it that I can use later or something.

Oh hey, Woofington's back.

I'm not watching Shirobako, but I can say that I know that some really crazy shit can happen during the process of anime making.

Wasn't there an article or an interview posted a while back that involved a Studio Ghibli production with abysmal working conditions that did a lot of damage on people's health? I think it was either last thread, or the thread before.

And then there was the fact that the finale of Kill la Kill aired liked, 6 hours after it was completed. So I can only imagine what kind of hell people were going through at Trigger at the time.

Ive seen stories of them eating just beef noodle bowls for months, sleeping under desks, and other fun things. My coworker used to sleep in the dispatch office with a hammock because it was easier than commuting back and forth.

Twintail 03

The only time I can think of that a Sentai team were international celebrities was in Goseiger, and even that was only a one-off thing. They don't fight all over the world either. Kyoryuger had that in its Christmas episodes... but the way this series is handling the Sentai elements, free from the constraints of live action, is closer to Samurai Flamenco than anything else. The way the heroes are being gathered one after one hasn't really happened since Dairanger, either. Red is usually the last to join, if they gather together, at all. So in some regards, the structure of the show is closer to a magical girl series, even if it's a Sentai show in all other respects.

Being able to use the other attributes is certainly a Ridiculous Power, and I'm looking forward to the combined weapon they're hinting at in the opening. The media painting Aika as a villain is... sort of understandable given the circumstances, but also a bit odd. Yuka Aisaka was never really a name I knew before, but between Aika here and Muse in Amabri, one could say she's really making a splash this season.

The dynamic between Twoearle and Aika is pretty great. I know Mayayan put out a video of her doing dirty jokes a while ago, and now it's feeling like that may as well have been an audition tape for this role. Definitely my favorite Thursday show, in a bunch of pretty great shows otherwise. (Check out Akibaranger, please.)

I love how this show combines sentai and mahou shoujo. Its incredible!

Psycho Pass Episode 25

I always get caught up in the op at the repeated moments, like when Akane is there moving the place...

Best episode thus far, but then the inspector that I found enjoyable gets beat up s1 style. Cruel :(

Mr.Jeff

Hm... Any anime that would be good for Halloween? Good or bad, doesn't matter. Just need to be less than 3 hours in total.
Afterschool Midnighters. CG film about spooky and funny things in a school. Go in blind and with no expectations and you'll have a good time!

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso - 03

Hmpf, while there was at least a more consistently budgeted/animated episode this time around and I do quite love the music, visuals and basic premise as well as characters...the overall execution seems to be lacking and the slapstick humor (and exaggerations like those piano sheets everywhere), usually with an extra-comical art style, reminds me of FMA:B's similarly whiplashes between serious moments and comedy, though at least in this episode it's way worse. I actually do want comedy in this show, I just don't want it to be this extreme and disrupting.

Unfortunately the even bigger problem may be that I'm currently not really empathizing that much with the characters. I'm feeling very little when Kousei's thinking about his mother's death and how it affected him. The relationship between Kaori and him seems to progress faster than what I'd consider likely, which is partially because of the aforementioned comedy scenes; If Kaori was actually cheering him up wit her happy-go-lucky attitude and charms instead of screaming at him in a bunch of slapstick sequences constantly I could see them grow closer but right now there's little chemistry.

Also, while I love 5cm/s and the whole 'mono no aware' monologuing that's going on in that, I can't say that it's working out for Kousei. Not only does it feel like he's trying a bit too hard to be deep it's also interrupting the flow occasionally. It just feels weird when he's having a normal conversation and then, bam, we get a bunch of monologuing that halts the actual dialogue. It just makes more sense to use it when he's alone or the characters are silent for a longer duration for a valid reason.

Overall all that makes it just a decently enjoyable experience for me. I'm certainly gonna keep watching but I was hoping for better after the first episode.

Gundam: Reconguista in G 5:
Oh my god, this was the best episode yet. The scene on the bridge was downright hilarious, between all the crazy antics and hair pulling and what not going on while characters are trying to have a serious discussion. And then we have the crotch grab while Bellri is having the space suit put on, and "Chuchumy can't wear one" and so much more. Comedy gold here. Also the main problem the characters faced in the battle was Bellri's inability to get it in. There were so many other little comedic moments running throughout the episode, too.

I'm just enjoying myself so much when I'm watching this show. The story is advancing, and there's some crazy shenanigans going on. Despite what Bellri and Noredo are saying, I feel like this is the place that it makes more sense for them to stick in the long term, although the conflict is still in the process of taking shape. But the Capital Army don't seem very sympathetic at all. With the setting shifting, we should start to get a better idea of where everything will be going.

Hey all, I don't tend to post in these threads, but I do lurk on occasion. I'm in a constant state of never being able to catch up. haha I do try to keep up with a good handful of shows every season, but because of the amount of shows I watch combined with general lack of free time, I never seem to have a chance to post impressions for each episode.

Watched the Monogatari series over the summer since it seemed to be a show people enjoyed. It's now become one of my favorite shows ever. I really liked all of the characters just about equally and it was fun to watch. I'm now fully caught up and looking forward to future entries. I was happy to find out all of the novels will eventually be adapted.

I guess the point of this post is to say a quick "thank you" for this thread and the posters in it! I doubt I'll become any more active in the thread, but I'll continue gleaning recommendations from people when they make them.

Erigu

Wasnt Hana the last thing to come out? why is it grouped with Bakemonogatari 2?
Hanamonogatari is part of the Second Season of the Monogatari series. It's just that they postponed the animated adaptation of that one to 2014 because they realized two cours weren't enough to adapt all six stories at once (and because if you're going to postpone one of those six stories, Hanamonogatari is the best candidate, considering it's fairly self-contained and set after everything else in the chronology).

mankoto

Twintails 3
This week's monster had a thing for ribbons... Good taste.

Kinda weird that the media calls Tailblue a potential villian/copycat even though they see her carry her off. One would think they would be smart enough to think they were working together. Then again, it is the media... Whatever gets more hits is what plays.

mankoto

Thinking about watching the Kara no Kyoukai films soon. Should I space them out over the week or marathon them all at once?

Nafe

Happy birthday Nafe, I think!

Honorary birthday, yeah. Haha.
Thanks. :)

I remember last year! Happy honorary birthday though!

Yeah, that's why I kind of commented the way I did,haha. It's not a big deal at all but I wasn't sure if you were going to do anything or how you would word it this time if you did.
Thanks though. :)

Edit: Although skimming through that thread, you recommended Yamato back then and only now have I got back to it. Heh.

I saw that. Better late then never as the saying goes.

Yeah, I remember I started watching it and really liked it. I commented to firehawk that I felt it was AOTY worthy and hopefully by listing it more people would take a look at it. He commented that it would probably just get overlooked anyway. Jexhius made that post with all the pictures which got people to start watching it and the rest is AOTY voting history.

Haha, it was actually that picture from Shirobako but that's a pretty good coincidence. I'd have to check my PM's but we commented something on scarves before. I'm the CC to his Lelouch...or something,haha.

Twintails 3
Tailblue joins finally and I love how the public had the opposite reaction to her. Otherwise, a solid episode like the rest

Linkark07

Banned
Twintails - 3

Honestly, the villains always make me laugh.

!Tailblue appeared!. Now we only need Tailyellow and the twintail team will be complete.

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso - 03

Finally listened the opening, fell in love with it instantly.

So, they managed to convince the pianist to return. I'm kinda interested to see how it will be their performance.

Midonin

One of my favorite things about Twintail is that it has quite a lot of tokusatsu voice actors in it. They're very prolific VAs in general, but they've done some major toku roles.

Erina's maid is GokaiYellow herself.
I've gone into detail about Twoearle/Maaya Uchida many, many times before.

Lizard Guildy is Tessho Genda (Gorisaki Banana in Go-Busters)
Turtle Guildy (Takaya Kuroda) was Yaiba in Boukenger
Swan Guildy is Nobuyuki Hiyama (Narrator of Fourze, Sanbash in Gingaman)
This week's Fox Guildy is Toshihiko Seki, the long-lasting Momotaros in Den-O.
And the leader of the villains is Tetsu Inada, Kruger/DekaMaster himself. For someone who I'm used to as a figure of good in toku, having him as a villain here is a nice change of pace.

And this is just in the first three episodes.

Reconguista in G 05

75633d2de7.jpg

Feel the power of the 80s

Our Char Clone here is voiced by Meijin Kawaguchi. This guy gets to voice two Char Clones in one lifetime. That's living the dream right there.
This episode was filled with so many Tomino cuts. Everytime something goofy happened five seconds later another goofy thing was happening, and even the times when serious things were happening Raraiya was there and I loved it.

Psycho-Pass 2 03

What the fuck was that Saw scenario in the beginning?
Almost thought the girl was Akane and she got shot in the head like I thought she would already for the first twenty seconds. Looks like the new villain will be trying to one up Makishima.

So why do Ginoza and bitchy Inspector girl who has been with Akane for a year and a half have trouble buying Akane's story about the writing on the wall but not the Dracula looking guy? I don't get this show. This show is dumb.

And can Inspectors seriously not defend themselves without dominators?
Lol at whats her face getting beat up by some old man, reminds me of the SPOOKY BOOGIE episode hook when the ED started playing over the guy with tomatoes in the blender

Shirobako 03

Good show continues to be good. I don't really have much to say. I didn't think this show would be so engaging.

Akame ga Kill! Theater 16

Where can I buy this

Inou Battle 03

"Please don't list me with this embarrassing freak who creates his own OCs so he can project himself into every new anime"

I see Andou already has the makings of a "talented" Light Novel author.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom