• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken 04

Friend discovers husband's brother actually has Palm tree and coconuts? Hmm I like that euphemism. I'm gonna start using that one now.

Denki-gai 04

54IA61I.jpg

Gotta love the shark teeth.

Another episode a bit more focused on the relationship side of thing while keeping things amusing at the same time. Fu is just totally blowing out the competition by showing she is easily the most entertaining character of the bunch. Also I'll note for some reason I honestly did not think she was interested in Sommelier at all. Awesome gift though, any man would love it!

Shirobako 03

Poor Production Assistant, sometimes it feels like she's constantly assaulted by horrible situations and total mismanagement of the show she's working on. Feels bad in regards to the key animators cause they seems to do so much work and every time there seems to be a problem they have more work on their hands.

Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de aru 03

A NEW HERO APPEARS. And she's cocky, full of herself, lonely and driven to the extreme. Time for the other girls to break her in. Honestly I've always love episodes in which the more 'softy' girls have to break in girl who is overly serious and can't let their hair down. Yet I just have misgivings because after stuff like this real bad shit tends to happen.

G Reco - 5

This is bizarrely incoherent as ever. 5 episodes in the main character is still a blank slate being pushed by the plot with no motivations or desires established beyond that he fell in love with some girl at first sight. But I suppose the strange dialogue and lack of character motivations have their charm, though I really hope the people I see praising this show are laughing at it.

Mr.Jeff

Glass Fleet - 14
This was an utterly dreadful episode.

First is the scene with the red-head where she's thrown into jail with a lot of vicious strangers who are trying to rape her which is treated as a comedic battle as she singlehandedly defeats all of their clumsy attempts.
Until the main "boss" of the group shows up and takes her out easily and suddenly it's not so funny anymore. The show seemingly recognises this probably a bit too dark for what the "good" side and has Cleo recover enough to stop this and suddenly we're back to a comedic tone.

The following that, we're treated to Michel being held "prisoner" by Vetti. The situation feels more akin to a rich aristocrat bringing in a high-class whore who everyone pretends to be nice to but in reality everyone knows what's coming next.

Following this Vetti then drugs her and seemingly date-rapes her although the confirmation at the end of the episode is a touch unclear especially considering Vetti's previous motivations.
He desired the real Michel after all so was his contemptible dismissal at the end of the episode because he realised the truth or because he had finally exerted his superiority over Michel?

From a a character point of view and with what we learned about Vetti's past previously, it makes a twisted sense as he desires power over people, that he is better than them and using sex as a means is one he has used before. Still though, for what had been a previously mostly light-hearted show, I could do without this horribly written plot point.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I give up. No one is ever going to licence the shows I like in the UK.

Time to go sleep with the fishes.

Your Lie in April 3

The physical violence gags in this are really obnoxious, especially early on when they are trying to make these characters sympathetic. I just wanted the MC to tell everyone to fuck off.

And oh man,
the girl getting off the bus at the hospital
is such a huge red flag. Please don't be what I think it is.

cajunator

Banned
Shirobako Episode 3:

This may be the underrated gem of the season.

Well..its not exactly underrated. It was expected to be decent and turned out to be even better than that. Unless of course somebody was turned off by the moe~ at first.

All it's really doing is making the Sentai elements more overt. What we think of as "Sentai + magical girl" is basically a subgenre that Sailor Moon started.

Truly this is a winning combination.

Hey all, I don't tend to post in these threads, but I do lurk on occasion. I'm in a constant state of never being able to catch up. haha I do try to keep up with a good handful of shows every season, but because of the amount of shows I watch combined with general lack of free time, I never seem to have a chance to post impressions for each episode.

Watched the Monogatari series over the summer since it seemed to be a show people enjoyed. It's now become one of my favorite shows ever. I really liked all of the characters just about equally and it was fun to watch. I'm now fully caught up and looking forward to future entries. I was happy to find out all of the novels will eventually be adapted.

I guess the point of this post is to say a quick "thank you" for this thread and the posters in it! I doubt I'll become any more active in the thread, but I'll continue gleaning recommendations from people when they make them.

Im glad you enjoy reading this thread and find it helpful. It really is one of the best anime communities you will find.

I've seen Animation Runner Kuromi.

Same. Plus the Paranoia Agent episode.

Hanamonogatari is part of the Second Season of the Monogatari series. It's just that they postponed the animated adaptation of that one to 2014 because they realized two cours weren't enough to adapt all six stories at once (and because if you're going to postpone one of those six stories, Hanamonogatari is the best candidate, considering it's fairly self-contained and set after everything else in the chronology).

Ok that clarified it further thank you. Its a hell of a lengthy and complicated story.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Watched the last 2 evangelion movies last night (2.22 & 3.33). My mind is full of fuck. Is this the equivalent of watching the series or are there major differences?

fertygo

Watched the last 2 evangelion movies last night (2.22 & 3.33). My mind is full of fuck. Is this the equivalent of watching the series or are there major differences?
The original is much more well crafted thsn the movies, the rebuild movies is more audience pleaser ala hollywood blockbuster.

cajunator

Banned
I can't get the catchy Splash Star opening theme out of my head.

PU-RI-KYU-A
SUPA SUPA SUPAAKU SUPURASSHU SUTAA
FUTARI WA FUTARI WA PURIKYUA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osgea5MeJRs

Most Precure shows at the very least have super catchy openings.

Just wait.

Twintails 3

Twintails
Twintails
AOTY
Twintails
Twintails

Just the name alone makes it AOTY.

Hm... Not this time. Gonna watch all of that myself later on :p

Thanks!

Already watched.

You should still watch Tweeny Witches because its pretty good.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Legend of Korra Season 4, Episode 4:

Undoubtedly the weakest episode by far, Tenzan's kids are alright in small doses but quickly become intolerable hen they get the focus shone upon them.
Thank god we are not dragging the Korra healing arc out any more because time is limited and we have places to be. I also look forward to the Great Uniter razing Zaofu to the ground because Kuvira and her forces really do need a good massacre to their name in order to really get over as heels. Seriously, I have no reason to root against Kuvira, they want to paint her as the villain because the script said so but she is in the right. To put this simple, she is not only the hero that the Earth Empire wants, but after three years of anarchy, she is the hero they need. Even the series had to admit that Prince Wu sucked and deserved to be deposed. Basically they wrote themselves into a corner here.

ReaperXL7

I wanted to pop in and see what's New. I got a bunch of recommendations from gar awhile ago as I had stopped watching anime for awhile and came away pleasantly surprised by the stuff that I got a chance to watch.

I'm going to be looking into some of the stuff in the OP but currently I have started watching Knights of Sidonia, Black Butler, Okami-San and her seven companions, and Psycho Pass.

I have not gotten far enough in any of them to make any real judgements yet, but seems like there is some good stuff out there still. Looking forward to catching up on some anime.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
You watched the Rebuild movies first instead of the series? :(

I feel like I've made a terrible mistake.

The original is much more well crafted thsn the movies, the rebuild movies is more audience pleaser ala hollywood blockbuster.

I've made a terrible mistake.

it's nonsense , a clusterfuck , whatever , you name it.

The movies are super gorgeous looking, which is a plus. 1.0 was alright, 2.22 was legitimately awesome with a somewhat cohesive story. 3.33 was very pretty, but I honestly didn't have a fucking clue as to what was going on. I was basically Shinji at that point. Then the movie ended and I was just very confused.

Nikodemos

Finished the first season of Sora no Otoshimono (Heaven's Lost Property). For a pseudo-harem magical girl + slice of life mash-up, it wasn't as awful as I had feared. It also had decent situational music. Thinking of continuing with the OVA and second season.

Though one thing I didn't understand...
What with her watermelon obsession?

Jarmel

Banned
I like Sento's little meltdown is personal reason and rather egoistical than "I must save Latifa-sama" bullcrap that I kinda expecting.

Is KyoAni pretty much rewriting the show? the direction and atmosphere still not quite what expected from the premise and what people dooming over the manga adaptation.

Supposedly they're heavily rewriting the show. The Elementals don't show up till much later in the LNs, Sento doesn't formally become Kanye's secretary until after book 1, Latifah is blind, Kanye and Sento don't become this close until again after book 1, many of the mascot characters who run the park aren't introduced until later, the target number of people and the timeframe was increased from 100k people in two weeks to 300k people in two months, and notably
the tease of the dragon at the end of episode is something like in book 4

I should note that Gatoh himself wrote the fourth episode, which might be why I feel it's so much better. So he's clearly aware of all the changes and probably helped make them in the first place actually.

The guy who is scoring this is also working on Robin Hood in Anime Boobland this season.

Hmm. I'll try to keep my ear out for music in that show too although it hasn't really left an impression with me so far.

Akame Ga Kill 16

All around fun battle this week, lots of death flags from people feeling the need to confess their love to others though which is doubly a horrible idea in this universe. The anime really does a much better job compared to the manga in depicting Kurome as cute but creepy which works a lot better for her as a character.

phaze

From the second movie on, the rebuilds start to diverge wildly from the TV series plotwise. You can still go through the show and EoE relatively unspoiled to get an even bigger dose of "wut" if you feel like it.

Parasyte 03

Was alright. Withholding the resolution to the fight was a bit of a gut punch and that music at the end was atrocious.

Harem Art Online S2 E16

So this has gone full on harem now, everyone wants to have sex with Kirito, especially Klein. Also Sugu is easily the biggest freak of the group not only does she want to have sex with her brother she also finds the tentacle rape creature cute.

The actual set up for this arc is probably the most compelling in the whole series as it's simply "do an mmo world quest" staring Kirito and the harem. In some ways I wish this had been more of what the entire series had been as I think it works a lot better.

I should note that Gatoh himself wrote the fourth episode, which might be why I feel it's so much better. So he's clearly aware of all the changes and probably helped make them in the first place actually.

He's credited for "Series Supervision" as well, so he's very active in this adaptation. There was an interview in a monthly magazine a while back talking about his discussion with Takemoto about the motion of the cast's busts, so take that for an example of how involved he is.

Chaika S2 E2

The fight in the first half was pretty exciting even if it was only won due to dues ex Fredrica distracting the hero. Still bummed about Vivi's change into another Chaika this series already has enough Chaika running around the last thing we needed was to take a unique character and make her a half Chaika. I think I complained about this last episode but it's even more of a sticking problem when she's supposed to be getting back into the Chaika chasing game.

Harem Art Online S2 E16

So this has gone full on harem now [...]

Sure...now. Kind glad I'm no longer watching SAO, feels good even if it had plenty so-bad-it's-good in it. Already looking forward to people coming to realization that no, despite what the fans were saying, even this next arc is going to be shit.

I mean, how couldn't it? There's the baggage of pretty much all characters being garbage and you'd have to retcon everything just to get free of that.

Amagi Park - 04

So it's gotten clear that the characters in this show are rather shallow and really, the setting and plot don't feel well thought out either. The direction is better and the production value higher than the source material deserves it would appear and that may be the only thing that keeps me going.

Some of the humor is running so, so dry. This schtick with children being all bloodthirsty towards the mascots has been repeated every episode now I think and it's just not funny.

Overall, I've also yet to see an actually purpose for these magical beings being just that. The mascots looking like this in actuality is not inherently funny. Neither is the technician looking like a wrench etc. pp.. Not even Kanie's mind reading powers have come into play again. So far, other than adding the dramatic "they cease to exist if this park goes down!" angle, what's the darn point of the fantasy/magic elements?

The interest I may have had in seeing the amusement park being managed and reinvigorated is also mostly gone because nothing seems smartly and realistically written. Instead it's just our MC being godly in accounting, cooking and overall managing for no particular reason and the issues that do arrive, like the strong rainstorm, feel a bit contrived and use to move plot or character progression along (Sento had her mini arc this episode).

Mature

Yeah, forget everything you've seen and go watch the original series + EoE. I'm a supporter of the rebuild movies and I concede to that!

Sure...now. Kind glad I'm no longer watching SAO, feels good even if it had plenty so-bad-it's-good in it. Already looking forward to people coming to realization that no, despite what the fans were saying, even this next arc is going to be shit.

I mean, how couldn't it? There's the baggage of pretty much all characters being garbage and you'd have to retcon everything just to get free of that.

Oh I know and understand this, I'm just saying up to this point the harem has only appeared in one episode a season and wasn't mentioned again until the finale. This is really the first time in a major arc that it's Kirito and all the girls (and Klein) working together in more of a traditional harem adventure/action series. The only other episode like this was that recap movie that had the underwater quest but I don't know how many people saw that.

NeonZ

Movie 1 was very similar to the tv show pre-Asuka, downright tracing over tv scenes sometimes (although never actually reusing tv footage). Movie 2 introduced some twists from the start and had a completely different ending, but still followed the structure of a few tv show episodes from the middle of the series. Movie 3 is completely original, aside from Shinji meeting Kaworu, but even then the circumstances and everything else around that meeting were completely different in the original.

Someone explain to me, isn't Japan an island why do so many people in anime/manga/JRPGs always get so excited and do the whole "WOW I'VE NEVER SEE THE OCEAN BEFORE" trope? Seriously I would get if this was an American trope or quiet a few other countries, but not a Japanese one. Is it really so damn hard to go to the beach if you live in Japan? Aren't most of the major cities located near water anyway hence the tsunamis which have caused problems over the years?

Jarmel

Banned
Amagi Park - 04
The interest I may have had in seeing the amusement park being managed and reinvigorated is also mostly gone because nothing seems smartly and realistically written. Instead it's just our MC being godly in accounting, cooking and overall managing for no particular reason and the issues that do arrive, like the strong rainstorm, feel a bit contrived and use to move plot or character progression along (Sento had her mini arc this episode).

It can get super rainy in Japan during the spring. I had two separate typhoons in one month and it can get really messy depending on where you are.

Chaika S2 E3

Frederica is either a jobber or not around for reasons when she should be able to solve most problems on her own

Looks like next week we could be getting an explanation for the multi Chaika phenomenon

phaze

Serial Experiments Lain 4

In this episode: Lain becomes Neo. And she starts to actually smile. Very creepily I might add. Also included are: online game that bleeds into the real world and men in black with the most ridiculous set of back glasses/goggles I've seen yet.

I've even less clue where this is going now and I've distinct feeling this is going to end up as a classic case of 2deep4me but we shall see. Also if this show expects me to take something away from the fact that every episode begins with the same scene, then it's seriously overestimating my deductive abilities.

Yona of the Dawn 3

They're really dragging this out, we get it they were great friends as kids and now one of them went cray and killed her father. Now I understand why they kept flash forwarding to the bad ass battle princess in the future... as it's clearly going to take awhile to get to that point.

mankoto

Amagai Brilliant Park 4
Kanye says he doesn't need 50, but it turns out he actually codes. All the while, apparently Latifah gets sick periodically whether she's in the barrier or not.
I guess it isn't a fairy tale without a dragon...

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka (Is It Wrong To Try Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?) is getting anime adaptation

by J.C.STAFF

official site

http://danmachi.com/
I actually find the manga kind of enjoyable. I'll be looking forward to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom