• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evangelion 19

PwIM9Sw.jpg

Well, that didn't last long...

We get to know what the angels are trying to do and then Eva 01 shows off it's true power.

Shin Sekai Yori 16-20
Wow this escalating. Starting with them forgetting about Shun and then by the end of the episode they almost remember him. Then another friend is almost lost who then runs away along with Sake being prepared to be the next leader sort of like the Giver. I could not take Maria's hopping seriously when they were looking for that friend. The monster rats are also becoming civilization and expansionits. It's all becoming quite insane

Evangelion 20

Oh, the horror, the chairs are hard. :p

So Shinji takes on a new form or something and that means another trippy episode. Hm... I guess Shinji's mother was the last one to experience something like this maybe? And there's some new questions about Rei...

mankoto

G-Reco 5
Some of these guys in the Capital Army are starting to look like villains. And considering how the preview is spelled out, the crew will be staying with Megafauna for a while.

Chuchumy.

Jarmel

Banned
More ABP-4 stuff
I should note that I loved these two shots. We have two shows this season that deal with child prodigies who had abusive parents. The thing with Your Lie in April is that I feel that the way they portray the mother is a bit too overdramatic and hamfisted. The audience is supposed to understand that the lead has conflicted feelings regarding his mother but the way that the mother is portrayed in the flashbacks, it's hard to feel anything other than disgust towards her. Here in Amagi however, I thought these two shots were much better at not only portraying how Kanye's mother was controlling him, through the grip digging into his shoulder, but also how they were perceived by everyone else. I thought the quick cuts of her yelling at him were enough to amplify the point as well.

mankoto

I Don't Understand What my Husband is Saying 1-4

75819.png

I don't like 5 minute shows... They're all over too soon. Which makes me ask, when exactly do these air? This show in particular is about 3 and a half minutes long. If it wanted to, it could be the commercial break for something.

Amagi - 04

This was alright. I had no idea Sento had some kind of soldier background. I guess that explains the guns.
Still laugh everytime I hear the first bit of Show and Tell. Woop dragon hype next!

Midonin

selector spread WIXOSS 04

I think having the lore of the series disguised as a light novel that's both real and true, but equally plausible as fiction, is a clever idea. Supplemental material and fan-created material is king in otaku culture, so if a mysterious goings-on like WIXOSS was a-going, I can see how something like that would happen. Chiyori's a little too eager to be a LRIG, and it is comforting to know that Tama and Ruko want to reunite. The problem is actually getting there.

Nafe

Happy birthday Nafe.

EDIT: Oops, forgot this, so happy belated Birthday Nafe!

Happy birthday Nafe

Happy birthday Nafe

Thanks very much guys. :)

---

Twintails

Episodes 1-3

I wasn't really paying this show any attention until I saw some posts of people talking about the first episode and decided to give it a watch. It really does feel like what some had mentioned where it's an Akibaranger type show but for the magical girl/harem genre as apposed to the sentai shows.

Speaking of Sentai, I didn't know or realize how many Sentai seiyuu were in the show until it was listed. Sometimes it seems to do the usual tropes but other times it seems self aware of the cliches and plays with them and goes all in for some really crazy results.

Midonin

Twintails

Episodes 1-3

I wasn't really paying this show any attention until I saw some posts of people talking about the first episode and decided to give it a watch. It really does feel like what some had mentioned where it's an Akibaranger type show but for the magical girl/harem genre as apposed to the sentai shows.

Speaking of Sentai, I didn't know or realize how many Sentai seiyuu were in the show until it was listed. Sometimes it seems to do the usual tropes but other times it seems self aware of the cliches and plays with them and goes all in for some really crazy results.
I would describe the relationship like this. Akibaranger uses otaku culture to tell a story about Sentai. Twintail uses Sentai to tell a story about otaku culture.

(Also, happy birthday.)

Midonin

Garo -Seal of Flames- 04

So there is going to be a bit of a Horror of the Week style thing going on here. There's always an overplot, but detours like this can easily make this go to two cours. Creepy villages are a staple, and I thought this one was carried off pretty well. There's always a sympathetic monster among the numbers of the undead.

Terra Formars - 05

Good episode, though I felt Alex backstory with the kid overstayed it's welcome. I like the introduction to each transformation that explains each organism behaivour and abilities
I hope Michelle didn't die, I'm going to assume that she didn't because we never actually saw her die.
This is some Gandalf and Balrog type shit. Also why does Michelle still use glasses, unless she's doing it for the smart looks, because you gotta look stylish when smashing cockroaches.

Garo -Seal of Flames- 04

So there is going to be a bit of a Horror of the Week style thing going on here. There's always an overplot, but detours like this can easily make this go to two cours. Creepy villages are a staple, and I thought this one was carried off pretty well. There's always a sympathetic monster among the numbers of the undead.

Honestly don't mind, especially since it seems like even these detours will be useful for character development based on this one. As long as we gain something from episodes like these I think it works in this type of show (some types of shows are obviously made for an episodic structure, so those are different)

Amagi Brilliant Park 04
This dude is too easily excitable

I like how Kanye does as Kanye does without falling into the typical Light Novel pitfalls of being absolutely perfect at everything while having minimum character traits so the audience can easily project themselves onto him. He has both both personality and flaws, which really shouldn't impress me as much as it does, but then again this is an LN adaptation. This episode was really centered around Sento though and how she's not all that great at doing "normal" stuff, but she shows she's not at all useless by coming through in a time of crisis. I really like the dynamic between both of these characters. Can't wait for more.

Amagi Brilliant Park 4

By far the best episode so far. Largely because it toned down most, if not all, of the shitty comedy and focused on character development. The somber tone of the episode mixed with the music was a pretty good job on giving me as the audience the idea of what the episode would be around. Then they drove it home with the multiple scenes in the rain, with rain being used as a symbol of chaos and depression in plenty of media. It is also doing a fantastic job in reminding me that Kanye isn't the Jesus Christ of geniuses and that he is pretty much a newbie at managing and will most likely make plenty of mistakes, as seen in this episode.

The episode largely dealt with 50 and her issues as a character, continuing to expand on her character outside of the dandere beauty with giant breasts they wanted to tell you about in episode 1. Their scenes of conflict in this episode were definitely the highlight of the show so far. I was hoping the show would just forget most of the magical and past crap and just focus on park management and character development on a set of incredibly flawed characters. But of course that was too much to ask and we have stuff like
"did we meet when we were younger?"
and the scene at the end where
a dinosaur is waking up because fuck you mgmt geeks

Seriously if this show is accomplishing something greatly it is making me wish the west had a similar show about a failing park needing to be managed by a newbie with a group of misfits. Because at least if it were a drama it'd most likely keep away a lot of this crap.

Conan-san

Doubtful. Most of Geneon's licenses didn't make it to the UK back in the days when the show was originally licensed, and it doesn't fit the traditional UK anime demographic (i.e. it's a bit artsy-fartsy and you can't sell it with tits on the cover).
Most of Pionear/Geneon's output went to MVM and, frankly, I'm mildly suprised they didn't put it out back in the day and, frankly, when somtehing bad happening in the UK anime industry can't be explained, it might as well be a mouse dangling from Jerome Mazandarani's mouth.

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka (Is It Wrong To Try Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?) is getting anime adaptation

544A54514C5CF80023

by J.C.STAFF

official site

http://danmachi.com/
Huh, Okey Dokey, should be neat if nothing else.

Garo - 04

Good soundtrack, love the flute, it gives me witcher feels. It would've been very immersive if it weren't for Zoros flashy shirt and Leons xXxdarkmasterxXx robe and emo hair, quite the contrast with the creepy village.
Even though it was a 'filler sidestory' of sorts, I really enjoyed it. Garo keeps being very solid.

Garo Ep. 4

Today's episode was definitely the highlight of the show for me. Doesn't seem like the trend will be entirely on a Monster of the Week formula as the preview to the next episode shows, but when this type of show does it effectively god damn is it good. We had the staple evil looking village with a mystery behind it and it worked well. Leon continues to be rash and trying to prove himself, as any child with a successful/strong dad would be trying to do in their rebellious teens. But you can definitely see him grow in this episode from where he started to where the episode ended. CheapJuice mentions that it reminds him of the Witcher series, and yeah that bit is obvious considering they're both dark fantasies and the leads hunt fantastical creatures. I'm a sucker for those, hence why Berserk works so well too.

I wouldn't call this the best dark fantasy out there, but this episode had the good kind of the Supernatural TV show vibes of family members going out to save people from creatures. Part of me wishes it kept doing this instead of going into a more 'epic' tale where it'll most likely culminate with storming the castle. But I can't always get what I want.

mankoto

Selector Spread WIXOSS 4
Tama vs Iona was always inevitable. Whether it happens in the next 3 episodes or 6 is up in the air though. And at this point, someone needs to find a way to take Eldora away from Chioryi. If she was still that cheerful and bright-eyed after one loss is one thing, but after two is a stretch. Then again, she's a kid and wouldn't understand unless she saw it first hand.

Flashforward a little bit and it appears we'll have a lot of things cleared up in the upcoming episodes considering we meet the book writer.
For some reason I have this feeling that either Ru is going to lose, or Iona might not want to follow Ru's lead.

Jex

[This Week in the Hair of G-Reco Gundam]

As should be apparent to everyone, this show is primarily focused on, and concerning, hair. This week, we have:

Impractically-long-for-a-pilot-hair:
80's style tough lady hair:
'The Aramaki'
Slick hero hair:

Lets not forget hair-related activities such as:

Playing with hair:
Pulling hair:
Styling hair:
Next week's hair looks to be quite exciting based on the preview!:

On an unrelated note, we have totally bizarre and unexpected ass slapping. Tomino plz

So I decided to start watching Fate Zero today after holding off on it for so long. 15 minutes into the first episode and so far it looks it will just be introducing the masters and possibly their servants. Also I'm pretty sure that
Sakura and Rin being sisters
was supposed to be a spoiler in F/SN.

Amagi Brilliant Park - 4

A much better episode than last week's. This episode had a much better balance between the comedy and character development.

I like how they showed the individual strengths and weaknesses of Seiya and Sento. They we're pretty much opposites of each other concering their duties in this episode. Seiya was handling the complaints that most of the individual staff members had with some decency while Sento showed that's not exactly her strongest character trait. Also, Seiya appears to be unable to think well enough with emergencies, but with Sento being a soldier and all, she was able to stay calm and issue appropriate orders during a crisis situation. It's interesting to note that the situation came from a poor decision on Seiya's part as well. So those parts we're well and good.

Although I can't help but wonder when the mind reading power is going to come into play again. I mean, if you saw episodes 3 and 4 by themselves, you'd think he'd have no such power. The only way I could possibly see it being used would be on the guests to see what they'd like to be added to the park.

It would really fit with the RCT feel of the show, given how you could hear the thoughts from guests there as well.

Jex

So I decided to start watching Fate Zero today after holding off on it for so long. 15 minutes into the first episode and so far it looks it will just be introducing the masters and possibly their servants. Also I'm pretty sure that

Think of it this way.

F/SN spoils F/Z. F/Z spoils F/SN.

Surely you should be spoiled on the worse property!

fertygo

[This Week in the Hair of G-Reco Gundam]

As should be apparent to everyone, this show is primarily focused on, and concerning, hair. This week, we have:

Impractically-long-for-a-pilot-hair:

80's style tough lady hair:

'The Aramaki'

Slick hero hair:

Lets not forget hair-related activities such as:

Playing with hair:

Pulling hair:

Styling hair:

Next week's hair looks to be quite exciting based on the preview!:

On an unrelated note, we have totally bizarre and unexpected ass slapping. Tomino plz

No mention of the crotch grabbing to adjust pilot suit? You disgust me.

it's a spoiler but that's why you don't watch Fate Zero first

Think of it this way.

F/SN spoils F/Z. F/Z spoils F/SN.

Surely you should be spoiled on the worse property!

it's a spoiler but that's why you don't watch Fate Zero first

I don't have any experience going into F/SN, but I find that all the things that F/Z spoils make going into F/SN more interesting.

Like, I know who these people really are, but how's it all going to play out when certain facts are revealed to certain people? I'd say it could make for just as fun of a ride going through it chronologically, if not more.

mankoto

Garo 4
This should've aired next week so it would be in time for Holloween. Next episode finally has a focus on our runaway prince? Great. His side of this story needs to be told more.

B.O.O.M

Terra Formars Ep. 5

I love this show. Solid character building too through backstory. Very interesting selection of creatures too

cajunator

Banned
Anime Limited have posted about a new license they just announced at MCM.

Link

JELLY
At least I got the Geneon set for 10 bucks.

Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken 04

Friend discovers husband's brother actually has Palm tree and coconuts? Hmm I like that euphemism. I'm gonna start using that one now.

This is "I cant understand my husband" right? These stupid long title names >_<

Watched the last 2 evangelion movies last night (2.22 & 3.33). My mind is full of fuck. Is this the equivalent of watching the series or are there major differences?

Why did you watch the movies first? They ruined it :(
But you can still half-right the wrong and go watch the series.

3.33 is an audience pleaser?

Its not even out for purchase here yet! What on earth is taking them so long?

I wanted to pop in and see what's New. I got a bunch of recommendations from gar awhile ago as I had stopped watching anime for awhile and came away pleasantly surprised by the stuff that I got a chance to watch.

I'm going to be looking into some of the stuff in the OP but currently I have started watching Knights of Sidonia, Black Butler, Okami-San and her seven companions, and Psycho Pass.

I have not gotten far enough in any of them to make any real judgements yet, but seems like there is some good stuff out there still. Looking forward to catching up on some anime.

Watch From the New World. I recommend it a lot but I was really really impressed with it.

Finished the first season of Sora no Otoshimono (Heaven's Lost Property). For a pseudo-harem magical girl + slice of life mash-up, it wasn't as awful as I had feared. It also had decent situational music. Thinking of continuing with the OVA and second season.

Though one thing I didn't understand...
What with her watermelon obsession?

This is one of the best harem shows out there. The MC isnt completely afraid of women. Quite the opposite. Plus, Nymph is way too cute for words.

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka (Is It Wrong To Try Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?) is getting anime adaptation

544A54514C5CF80023

by J.C.STAFF

official site

http://danmachi.com/

This looks...promising.

phaze

Also dat Mitsuo Iso cut ;___;7

Wasn't even aware it was he who animated that scene of 01 walking. themoreyouknow.jpg

This Garo praise and Witcher comparisons kinda make me regret dropping it.

Serial Experiments Lain 5

04qzmxlrffhw.gif
That ending. What the fuck is going on ...

So, through the surreal exposition dump delivered by a doll, creepy mask, fake floating father and mother, the show finally shed some more light on the Wired. I'm not quite sure what to make of it but it seems to me
Lain might be on her way to becoming "God" and that fulfilling the prophecy could very well mean killing herto let her fully join the Wired.
</speculation rant> Episode had a strong horror vibe with an entire sequence that could easily be transported into some asian scare flick. Poor
Lain's sister ... (I don't believe she has been given a name yet.)

Also holy shit at Lain's newly build version of Dexter's laboratory

cajunator

Banned
Shin Sekai Yori 16-20
Wow this escalating. Starting with them forgetting about Shun and then by the end of the episode they almost remember him. Then another friend is almost lost who then runs away along with Sake being prepared to be the next leader sort of like the Giver. I could not take Maria's hopping seriously when they were looking for that friend. The monster rats are also becoming civilization and expansionits. It's all becoming quite insane

Getting to the really good part now. Maria's hopping was definitely silly looking. Part of the inconsistent production values. It didnt ruin the show thankfully.

Evangelion 20

Oh, the horror, the chairs are hard. :p

So Shinji takes on a new form or something and that means another trippy episode. Hm... I guess Shinji's mother was the last one to experience something like this maybe? And there's some new questions about Rei...

No worries. You are about to get even more confused and there are like three endings.

I Don't Understand What my Husband is Saying 1-4

75819.png

I don't like 5 minute shows... They're all over too soon. Which makes me ask, when exactly do these air? This show in particular is about 3 and a half minutes long. If it wanted to, it could be the commercial break for something.

I just dont understand how these kinds of shows are marketed or how they make money from them at all.
Also can somebody explain the horse head thing? Is it a meme or a japanese in -joke? Ive seen it everywhere.

More than a month early :D

2014-10-2415.17.098nolz.jpg

Luckyyyyyyy
I think its in my next shipment.

mildly interested in Shirobako,

shoul I start it y/n

100% yes. Its not just cute, its a really good insight into what goes on in anime production.

Aikatsu - 04

I tried aikatsu once , and while it wasn't bad , something didn't click ... maybe i was bored , maybe i had more intresting things to watch at the time, i don't know. still i kept the idea of watching aikatsu again after some time to give it a proper verdict since at the time the 3episode rules didn't produce significant results

And here i am.

I don't know what changed since then , maybe it's the episode itself , maybe it's the fact that i'm dull to CG dancing or CG animation because of precure and other show that aired since then but somehow i didn't mind this episode. Maybe it's because this episode 4 was the first time the heroine didn't mess up or didn't back down because someone else had more willpower than her , i really don't know.
Aikatsu%21%20-%2004.jpg

Attack sucessfull !! Result : courage + 20 , willpower +30 , fan power +50 , face blushing + 300
But this episode 4 was ok , i guess i can start watching aikatsu and hopefully get back up to date ( who knows ? ) good thing i'm currently in holidays :)

So during this episode , Our main heroine get his first fan ( Correction : first male fan ) and doesn't mess up . This was ok. let this be the start of a streak of episode i'll enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom