• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
Rightstuf and Sentai is love.

I always use the free shipping from them because they're located less than 3 hours away from me, so I usually get everything I order in 2 days.

I also put everything I order into separate shipments. I'm paying the same amount of money either way, so there's no harm in keeping it separate so I get it all quicker.

Also, My Otorimonogatari should be here tomorrow too!

Between Log Horizon V1, Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life, and Otorimonogatri all arriving within 2 days, i'm going to have an awesome weekend.

im so fucking jealous living on the west coast of canada

duckroll

Gatchaman Crowds S2 to be called "Gatchaman Crowds Insight"

f75b52c3b0.jpg

Or, Insight CROWDS Gatchaman if you read this logo correctly.

No date. Hopefully they aren't rushed so we don't get a repeat of the last episodes problems.

Well, the series will start sometime next year, and right now Tatsunoko is still... trying to recruit production staff to help make it: http://www.tatsunoko.co.jp/recruit

Seems like a pretty rushed studio in general. Looking at all their recent work like Crowds, Yozakura, Ping Pong, Wake Up Girls, and Psycho-Pass 2... the only series which didn't seem to suffer in quality was Yozakura.

Wonder if we get MikeHattsu's impressions on the last couple Evangelion episodes today. If we're unfortunate enough those will be more entertaining than today's FSN UBW episode, although that one promises to start with a fight which Ufotable do rather well... so here's hoping.

fertygo

Wonder if we get MikeHattsu's impressions on the last couple Evangelion episodes today. If we're unfortunate enough those will be more entertaining than today's FSN UBW episode, although that one promises to start with a fight which Ufotable do rather well... so here's hoping.

Mike's impression post is usually just summarizing episode though =p

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Shigatsu 3

More angst and teenage drama. Honestly I don't understand why people think this show is that special.
I'm going to keep watching for a bit but good animation will only go so far.

Also, can't they handle two scenes without showing some sakura?

I've gone to the trouble of checking:
1. In restaurant (pre-opening) - Sakura tree in background.
2. In restaurant (post-opening) - Sakura tree in background.
3. Outside of restaurant w/ cat - Sakura falling.
4. Walking to school - Sakura trees in background (blossoms in flashback)
5. Home ec. - No sakura (maybe they were making skura soup?)
6. School, looking at sheets - Sakura trees in background (also cutting to outside w/ sakura trees).
7. In bus - No sakura (only smiley-faced rain smear).
8. On roof - sakura falling.
9. En route to concernt - sakura falling.

So 7/9 (because the other scenes were indoors with blurry windows). Don't they know any other themes?

phaze

Is Tokyo Ghoul actually any good? It didn't look very appealing to me at first glance..

It's an alright battle shounen/seinen/whatevs. Not exactly very original and suffers from having to rush through chapters but it remains at the very least decent. Good battle scenes and the last episode is one of the best this year IMO.

Though I'll admit I'm thirsty for edges in my animu and TG scratched that itch nicely.

Jex

[Tamako Love Story]

Hey, KyoAni made a movie! They can still, apparently, also make anime that looks good. I mean really good. Why does the photography in their most recent works look so poor in comparison?

All in all this was satisfying, if fairly standard. What differentiates this kind of story from it's peers is, obviously, KyoAni's outstanding production values.

This also demonstrates how completely perfunctory all that 'talking bird' nonsense was in the main series. None of that has any bearing on the characters or their stories so it's great to see it excised here. Makes you wonder why it was ever party of the show.

javac

Texhnolyze 1

wat

One of my favorite shows bar none. During the first episode you're pretty lost, hardly any words and spoken and the whole color palette is pretty dark and hard to get adjusted to at first. The whole show for that matter is vague. For people not into that you're in for a long ride but for me that's the kind of shit I love. Amazing show.

I wrote a bit about the whole show here if anyone is interested.

JoeFu

Banned
Log Horizon S2 04

Well I can tell people in here probably aren't going to like this episode as it's pretty heavily centered around Akatsuki, but I'm fine with it. She's admitting everything people hate about her haha.

that set up for next episode thoughhhhhh

cajunator

Banned
Rightstuf just shipped a replacement for my lost shipment. I just want to remind everyone how amazing that company is and how valuable they are to the North american anime community. They make me squee a whole lot.

Pooya

Tamako Love Story
Episode 9 sequel everyone wanted. It's a standard high school romance but like they say execution is everything, quite touching and humor was great. Even the butt ones weren't so bad. Kanna owns. Really nice music and visuals carry everything to a higher level too. Kyoto is aliv...

Amagi Episode 4
.. dead. This is just boooooring

G-Reco 5

omg the fight was cool, maybe looked messy but socooooool. I love the designs here so much, coloring in particular, will never get tired of watching this. who cares about story.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Season 2, Episode 4:

Well, seemingly to counterbalance the action heavy episode of last time, this one is all about character and world building. On the one hand I am glad they are giving Akatsuki a lot of chracter focus as she has been lacking in it, but on the other hand, holy fuck the Linkin Park act is getting old. We get it, you feel weak and powerless. Though I will say that there is a theme that Akatsuki shares when seemingly everybody else, indeed the theme of the episode was isolation. We also get a surprising amount of characterization for Lenessia and I'll be honest, I like her a lot more as a character then Akatsuki. Anyway, we also see a few new characters, including what seems to be a chemist, I didn't think Log Horizon had those. Still, things look like they are picking up in earnest as the fated time is coming closer.

Log Horizon S2 4

A slight dip in drawing quality, I think. And full of important stuff like fanservice, girls in silly costumes, and girls eating cake and saying moeee, some stupid love musings and inane ramblings from secondary characters. A slow, uninteresting episode which doesn't advance the plot nor the world nor improve some bland characters.

Midonin

PriPara 17

For the few anime that do them, it's time for the Halloween episodes. The independent city-state of idoldom feels more in line with Halloween than what HaCha was doing. And it's certainly more Halloween-like than last year, which just layered a Halloween-themed performance over a rather heartwarming episode involving Ito's family. It was late game, these things had to happen.

So Faruru may not be Chanko, though they were never on screen at the same time. Chanko is pretty in control of things, while Faruru was spacey to a level that makes Rinne from last year seem on top of things. I wonder what Ran does for the rest of the year. Halloween is her time to shine, so it's good that she got a chance to do that.

Midonin

Vanadis 04

Now the other girls are starting to show up, I like that. A little bit more magic to the story. That use of ice spears was a bit more brutal than I was expecting, though. There are parts of the show I like and parts that I'm not as into, but now that the main story looks to be kicking off, long as it can maintain a good balance between downtime and the battles, I should be good.

Mayumi's and Watanabe duet song for Mahouka Character songs is definitely second best after Miyuki's.

The song from Jennifer Skidmore (vespertine bloom) is definitely one of the better english songs around for an anime.

Clov

Gatchaman Crowds S2 to be called "Gatchaman Crowds Insight"

f75b52c3b0.jpg

Or, Insight CROWDS Gatchaman if you read this logo correctly.

No date. Hopefully they aren't rushed so we don't get a repeat of the last episodes problems.

Nice to see another update on this, I'm so excited! As you said, hopefully they won't rush it and we won't have to wait months to get the actual ending.

This also coincides with the announcement that Hajime and Utsutsu are getting Nendoroids. This is great, but I need one of Rui. I'll wait!

Is Tokyo Ghoul actually any good? It didn't look very appealing to me at first glance..

See the thing is if they had adapted the manga successfully and kept the pace consistent. It would of been a contender for AOTY, but since they left all the symbolism and foreshadowing the anime doesn't seem that special. The character development was screwed over due to the fast pace and details were left out. The MC from the manga and anime are two completely different characters. So what I'm telling you is that the manga is far from generic unlike the anime which makes it seem that way. So if you like reading manga I advise you to read it because it's one of the best ongoing series right now. Though the anime is still good as a standalone and episodes 1,8,12 were really amazing, so I'd still recommend it.

Blusby

The anime is bad, the manga on the other hand is entertaining. It has a pretty dumb setting and somewhat aimless plot direction but the protagonist is great and carries the whole series.

Hattori

Banned
One Piece - Punk Hazard
Punk Hazard completely redeems One Piece for me. Very solid arc especially compared to that horrendous Fishman arc.

mankoto

Log Horizon S2 4
Akatsuki is still depressed that she was told stay and she still thinks she's weak because of it. So instead of going out to train, she mopes around by watching other people train. I can't really blame her for feeling that way. Shiroe and Akatsuki have always been together so for him to tell her she can't come, it's only natural that she'd self-evaluate and target and blame any form of weakness.

As for the Princess, it's kind of a shame that she doesn't view the Adventurers as friends due to how fundamentally different they are from People of the Land. Although, that is to suggest that once she has some form of understanding, all will be well.

But for now, this is not going to be a Merry Christmas.

Evangelion 23

Uh... I'm already confused.

Well... Asuka is still not over what's happened and plays some Sega Saturn, Rei gets
contact with the Angel and it gains her knowledge or something? And then she destroys Eva 00 and herself and she gets placed in another vessel? And then Seele gets Ritsuko as a sacrifice but they still need her so she gets spared?
I have no idea :p

Midonin

SAO II 16

I feel like I can say I'm enjoying this arc without having to add all these caveats. It's a simple-ish adventure story with a bit of a Norse flavor, and the rest of the cast getting to do things. Klein is the one going for the princess this time, and there's a good balance between action and exposition that's not terribly tedious. The side stories are the fun part of SAO, it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom