• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry Mike, ep25 and 26 will clear everything up.

2620436-2559505-9219002946-u445.jpg

Evangelion 24

This about sums it up...

Asuka has completely lost it, Ritsuko
is Gendo's lover? And he once had his way with her body? Ok...
And then there's the new guy who's
some kind of clone/creation from Adam or something. At least that makes some sense. But then... Lilith?

An interesting 50 or so seconds near the end of the episode there :p

Vanadis - 04

These warmaidens are super strong. I'm surprised that they didn't take the chance to go all out on the poison removal. New Ludmilla lady and Elenora will probably provide some funny back and forth insults.

duckroll

Garo - Episode 4

This was yet another outsourced DR Movie episode, but I actually liked it quite a bit compared to the last two. It's still pretty ugly, and the entire series seems to be pretty low budget compared to the first episode, but I enjoyed this week's detour. The parallels between the boy's desire for revenge and Leon's own internal struggle worked for me, and it made the situation more interesting. The way the episode ended also gives a nice look into how things work in this fantasy world. They don't solve every problem, especially those which originate from human weaknesses and crimes, but rather they exist only to remove supernatural variables seeking to interfere with humanity. It's bleak, but still an interesting layer to the world.

---

Your Lie in April - Episode 3

I'm getting used to the tone in this show now. I still don't really like the way it jumps so easily between serious dramatic moments and random physical comedy, but the pacing in this episode worked well enough that I was entertained and also invested in the motivations of the characters. The first half of the episode was actually pretty funny, while certain lines in the episode worked well to highlight the true personalities some of the characters have. "I don't mind if he quits, but I want to see him quit on his own terms" was something that really drove home the character arc the show is going for. I wish the main character's monologues aren't so overwhelmingly flowery though. It really comes off as super cheesy. Lol.

---

Amagi Brilliant Park - Episode 4

This was actually a good episode! I'm so shocked! :p

Yeah this was the first episode which really actually worked entirely. The show doesn't have a problem with an interesting premise, it doesn't have an issue with production values, and even the characters aren't awful, but the first few episodes really felt like it was trying way too hard to artificially get the attention of viewers without being natural or perfectly honest.

This episode on the other hand seems to do a really good job of highlighting the strengths of the show, playing with the character dynamics in an interesting way, and actually using the "run a theme park" premise in a direct and engaging narrative which allows the viewer to be totally invested in what's going on and how the characters feel throughout. If the show can keep this up, it could be a pretty good show. If it reverts to the direction in the first few episodes, that'll be pretty disappointing to me.

cajunator

Banned
What do you mean? The anime was the funniest thing ever created! Saito is a true hero, man.
The manga gets even more fucked up than the show.

If it is even more messed up, then that must be one hell of a manga. Misaki I heard was really tamed in the anime. I think people said the characters were on drugs or something.

53dc911026c55d9b8207elpo7e.jpg

Man this shirt is genius.

:O

Evangelion 24

This about sums it up...

Asuka has completely lost it, Ritsuko
is Gendo's lover? And he once had his way with her body? Ok...
And then there's the new guy who's
some kind of clone/creation from Adam or something. At least that makes some sense. But then... Lilith?

An interesting 50 or so seconds near the end of the episode there :p

Be sure to watch Death and Rebirth and End of Evangelion for the whole delightful story!

mankoto

Madan no Ou to Vanadis 4
This was actually a pretty decent episode. Tigre went to go check on his people and is trying to gain more allies. 2 more girls were introduced. 1 of which might be an enemy because she works for the opposing team... Oops.

Midonin

Waremete 04

Cute outing, and gave some backstory for Sou and Kaori. I also noticed the new ending animation added for this episode. The pans across the girls were nice, but this one, with its black-and-white minimalistic style, captures the tone of the show a little better.

FSN Ep 3
B0z3vlZCEAEFv44.png:large

Finally an actually good episode, if only we could have decreased the monotonous and dull Saber battle for more flashy attacks, inquisitive questioning of Happy Kirei, and Archer and beloved Gilgamesh in a superior design.

Texhnolyze 2

Wow we actually got some conversations in this episode. Ichise somehow survives despite having his leg and arm cut off. I don;t where this place they live in is but its messed up. I mean there's a surface world but I'm pretty sure we've seen the sky numerous times so how does that work?

Seems like you got your usual transhumanism conflict groups. Only character that I'm confused by is Ran. Mysterious girl that can sense the future and hardly talks.

Narag

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works 3

... I don't even know why I watched this. Feels like I could just pick up from here due to other franchise experience but most likely just going to let it finish the first cour then catch up then if at all.

That said, ep was pretty neat. Lots of action and some lovely, lovely effects animation.

Jarmel

Banned
Sword Art Online 2-16

So this episode had a ton, and I mean a ton, of action sequences. There was one that seemed like 5 minutes long.

That said, this arc feels cramped. The show literally skips through the entire dungeon and so I never get the sense that this is a super hard dungeon but rather that I'm getting a 'Greatest Hits' version of the raid. It reminds me of the initial problems in SAO with timeskips.

I'm guessing the group is going to fail and the 'Final War' begins and they have to stop it. The whole thing is kind of stupid in that what MMO allows itself to destroy itself. The programmers for SAO were dumbasses.

phaze

Fate/Stay Night 3

Why can't I hold all that sakuga. Show is worth watching for it alone. The outcome to the fight itself might have been anticlimactic but it was preceded by 20 minutes of pure animated glory.

Log Horizon S2:EP4

Since this season started the show hasn't kept up the quality, and I don't mean just in the animation department. I loved the world building, the economics, and Shiroe's plans/tactics coming into fruition. I'm getting none of that this season. And this episode was 'look at the cute girls in christmas' the episode, so even more of a waste of time. Fuckin a I don't want the show to die like this.

mankoto

You are going to watch End of Eva as well, right?

SAO II 16
So much action it felt like nothing happened even though we know they went through the entire dungeon. Of course Kirito has a super secret technique that more than likely literally nobody knows but him.

Props to the ALO design and programming team for never thinking the game would come up with an auto-destruct quest. And good job again for never for never making backup files for the game. Hell, that means that if anything on their end went to shit, outside of player data apparently, there'd be no way to get it back without having to redo it manually.

Midonin

Fate/stay UBW 03

The production values are good, the action is certainly dynamic and was built up to. But... even if it was only for a scene, my least favorite character has finally shown himself. He won't factor into things until later, but... yeah. The sooner he gets off the screen, the better. I'm just coming off of Illya as a magical girl, and that feels like a more natural state for her than this. It wasn't quite as drawn-out as last week, but I again find myself without much to say.

Log horizon S2 - 04
Well We're changing our POV , ( again ) but that's alright since they choose this way to adapt this arc . We're finally at the start of book 6 and ready to see Finally thing kick into gear !
If you were bummed by this week episode , don't worry , the rest is going to be full on cool moment + character develloppement.
Still akatsuki monologue was spot-on , she is jealous , underpowered and she seeks new high ! Meanwhile krusty is bored.

The drop in quality was very high for this episode. I want to believe that it's because of ep 5 ( that need to kick ass like no tomorrow ) but i'm not getting my hopes up.

Log Horizon S2:EP4

Since this season started the show hasn't kept up the quality, and I don't mean just in the animation department. I loved the world building, the economics, and Shiroe's plans/tactics coming into fruition. I'm getting none of that this season. And this episode was 'look at the cute girls in christmas' the episode, so even more of a waste of time. Fuckin a I don't want the show to die like this.

Don't worry , everything has a reason to be.Shiroe plan has a reason to exist and it's multilayered .. it's a 100% legit great plan so have fun figuring it out if you can. There was clues in this episode toward that end.

FSN UBW EP3

The battle and production values were great, Ufotable is da best no doubt. My issue lies with me not enjoying the battles as much as Fate Zero I guess. In Fate Zero there was a bit more grandeur to the fantasy and battles imho. It felt like a fantasy story in a modern world. FSN as of right now, and while it does get better, feels like anime battles. It's not hating for the sake of hating, the fights just aren't doing it for me in the same fashion. And Shirou being useless doesn't help out either.

Japarican

Banned
One Piece - Punk Hazard
Punk Hazard completely redeems One Piece for me. Very solid arc especially compared to that horrendous Fishman arc.

All the kids scenes were horrible, not because they were annoying but how many times they explained why they were there and why they wanted to leave

Don't worry , everything has a reason to be.Shiroe plan has a reason to exist and it's multilayered .. it's a 100% legit great plan so have fun figuring it out if you can. There was clues in this episode toward that end.

That's good to hear. The show came out with a bang in the first season, I don't want it to die with a whimper. Welp. I finished my daily anime. Time to get back to Fantasy Life lol

phaze

Texhnolyze 2

Wow we actually got some conversations in this episode. Ichise somehow survives despite having his leg and arm cut off. I don;t where this place they live in is but its messed up. I mean there's a surface world but I'm pretty sure we've seen the sky numerous times so how does that work?

IIRC it gets explained but (vague spoilers of when and how it gets touched upon)
late in the show and without getting into much detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom