• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Log Horizon SII 04
XqXD1wl.png
Poor Akatsuki. She just needs to find a pickup group and get some better loot. Stop lazing around town dancing on trees, you'll never earn any money that way!

FSNUBW 03
It seems every second conversation is about Shirou dying yet he still isn't dead!

Chaika Avenging Battle 03
Chaika and friends have earned themselves their next badge on their quest to becoming the number one mage master. But there is trouble at sea! What's in store for our heroes?

I'm in the same boat.

Well this episode did have nice particle effects as expected from Ufotables battle scenes. That said, the choreography wasn't actually all that interesting. On top of that Archer was superbly underwhelming. He could've tried to kill Illya at least since Berserker was so far away. His two awesomely animated and promising arrow shots however...ended up doing jack shit. Like damn, just how anti-climactic was that last nuclear-explosion-special-arrow? I was like "oh shoot, Saber actually just killed Berserker? Guess the pacing's gonna be faster than I thought... oh no, he regenerates without Saber even attempting to interfer -_- But wait! Archer? Oh shit, look at this. HOLY SHIT THAT EXPLOSION AND he's not even scratched and everyone goes home, kkthxbye.

Still, much better episode than the previous two. I'm also kinda glad to see Gilgamesh even though he makes this new Archer look that much lamer.

@Mike
Gratz on Eva ending! Within a mere week I went from "wtf is this shit I'm watching at 3a.m. in the morning, is this a joke?" to "the ending of episode 26 is fucking awesome". I also kept reading up on Evangelion for weeks to come.

Now you go and enjoy EoE. You'll get one of the best animated fight sequences ever with that one!
You really haven't seen what the new archer can do. Also worth noting that no matter how powerful an attack was used, killing berserker off permanently would still have been impossible at this point

Blusby

HOLY SHIT THAT EXPLOSION AND he's not even scratched and everyone goes home, kkthxbye.

I got the impression that while everyone was recovering from the explosion Berserker had already resurrected for the second time. I say this considering how quick he seemed to revive after Saber had "killed him" for the first time.

mankoto

Donten no Warau 2
The middle child is the Orochi vessel. Calling it now. Also, I understand that the middle child wants to be of use, but he almost died for stepping out of his grounds... Again.

I got the impression that while everyone was recovering from the explosion Berserker had already resurrected for the second time. I say this considering how quick he seemed to revive after Saber had "killed him" for the first time.

This is correct. That said, both things actually did have an effect on Berserker, even if it isn't obvious now. There's a good reason why Ilya decided to retreat rather than keep fighting

Jarmel

Banned
Well this episode did have nice particle effects as expected from Ufotables battle scenes. That said, the choreography wasn't actually all that interesting. On top of that Archer was superbly underwhelming. He could've tried to kill Illya at least since Berserker was so far away. His two awesomely animated and promising arrow shots however...ended up doing jack shit. Like damn, just how anti-climactic was that last nuclear-explosion-special-arrow? I was like "oh shoot, Saber actually just killed Berserker? Guess the pacing's gonna be faster than I thought... oh no, he regenerates without Saber even attempting to interfer -_- But wait! Archer? Oh shit, look at this. HOLY SHIT THAT EXPLOSION AND he's not even scratched and everyone goes home, kkthxbye.

Ah man. I'll just say it's foreshadowing at leave it at that. It's not a writing issue.

You really haven't seen what the new archer can do. Also worth noting that no matter how powerful an attack was used, killing berserker off permanently would still have been impossible at this point

Fair enough, but for this episode and without knowing what lies ahead it did feel anti-climactic.

edit:
^

Well...now that you're all pointing this out so darn specifically I'll just have to assume that last arrow hasn't unleashed all its effects yet, huh? I mean that was too much of a letdown for that build up and that disappearing leftover even got camera focus for a moment. Watashi, Kininarimasu!

Ore Twintail 2
Epic Jenga fight, and tailred become famous. Also, that mom approval.

Ore Twintail 3

Tailblue join the party, and thuarle really want to bone the MC.
and in the end thuarle will only manage to unlock the yuri route.
let's face it , i can see it coming !
it's a violent route , alright .

Hi-sCool! Seha Girls - 3

I like this show a lot better when it focuses more on the girls' antics in the video game worlds. Yeah, I know they need to develop their personalities outside that, so the first half of this episode was kind of necessary to create the conflict in the later half, but still...

I still await my Sonic the Hedgehog episode.

Well the first part had really a bunch of stupid trivia included.
They need to do golden axe and alex kidd !!

Honestly, if anything was dumb on Ilya's part, it's that she isn't actively avoiding combat at this point. If you could avoid any battles with this Berseker until only one person was left, it'd be incredibly difficult to lose (well, I can think of one exception, but explaining it would kind of spoil Berserker's identity somewhat)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works Episode 3:

It is a shame that all the budget in the world can make any of these characters likable or relatable in any real meaningful way, I would enjoy this a lot more if it could though.

Hmm let's avoid getting to deep into spoiler territory.

I know my kind of comment elicits these kind of replies because some of the remarks seem unjustified if you've got additional knowledge, but yeh, let's tread lightly. e: At least not without spoiler tags.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
and in the end thuarle will only manage to unlock the yuri route.
let's face it , i can see it coming !
it's a violent route , alright .

Well the first part had really a bunch of stupid trivia included.
They need to do golden axe and alex kidd !!

....i'mokaywiththat.jpg

Chaika Avenging Battle 3

Frederica getting rekt again, and the fight is so underwhelming. I know it's only 10 episodes, but still...shame.

Psycho Pass 2 ep. 2

The beginning remind me of SAW. Opening movie got an upgrade, lot of filter and noise. The thing i like about PP2 is they go straight to the main villain. No filler.

duckroll

Since we're four weeks into the new season now, it's finally time for me to do a recap on what I've been watching and how shows have turned out. These are just the shows I was interested in enough to check out though, so if it's not here, it means I don't have an opinion on it!

Da Best
Rage of Bahamut Genesis - Really fun action adventure fantasy romp. Unique character designs, high production values, solid directing, and a narrative which has more in common with Pirates of the Caribbean and Samurai Champloo than the typical fantasy show. Solid orchestrated soundtrack too.

Shirobako - A hectic and passionate comedy drama set in the world of anime production. Lots of inside baseball stuff, characters and scenarios inspired by real people and experiences in the industry, fictionalized for dramatic effect and entertainment. It's funny, informative, exciting, and heart warming.

Parasyte - Solid adaptation of a manga filled with body horror, tension, action, and gross dark humor. Madhouse seems to be putting a lot of effort into making an adaptation which is faithful to the tone of the source material, while rearranging content to better fit the anime medium. Too bad the soundtrack holds it down, but Aya Hirano puts in an excellent performance as the alien parasite in the protagonist's right arm.

Fun Shows for Kidz
Gundam Build Fighters Try - While some detractors might think otherwise, this still feels very much like the original series, except with new characters and different character dynamics which focus more on romance. It's still a series driven by kids filled with passion for gunpla wanting to communicate with opponents through intense hand animated mecha battles.

Tribe Cool Crew - Another kids show, this one is about street dancing. Really unique character designs, and the stylistic art and direction gives the show a real nice pop feel. The characters are likeable, their relationships are pleasant and positive, and it's the sort of show which makes people feel good after watching it. The CG dancing is hit or miss, sometimes it works well enough, other times it feels they lack the budget or camera work skills to make it really stand out. Not a huge issue though.

Phantasy or Fantasy?!
Chaika Avenging Battle - Not much to say here. It's the second half of Chaika, and anyone who enjoyed the first season will enjoy the continuation. Anyone who didn't didn't going to feel any different. It's a pretty consistent show which is headed towards the climax of the story.

Garo the Animation - An original anime spinoff of the famous (?) Tokusatsu franchise featuring magical dark knights in "cool" metallic armor defending a medieval land from demons. It seems pretty decent, but somewhat episodic. It's a pretty dark and edgy show with violence and sex used frequently in the narrative, showcasing a rather brutal world, but at the same time the character designs are pretty stylized, taking some of the edge off it. The production values are really inconsistent though.

Fate/Stay Night - Way better adaptation than anything DEEN ever made with the franchise, but it's still really childish, filled with droning dialogue sequences where characters sprout stupid shit. The production values are through the roof because Ufotable rocks, but aside from that, it's something to approach as a fun battle shounen with tons of exposition and personal philosophy monologues spliced between crazy action sequences.

Parental Pressure Dramaz
Your Lie in April - This is pretty much a classic fit for the noitaminA slot. A piano prodigy who was under too much pressure by his dying mother snapped and stopped playing after her death. He meets a really talented violinist schoolmate and falls in love. She draws him back into the world of music. Except between all the serious drama, it's filled with slapstick comedy and physical abuse humor too. I wish the show were more focused, but there's a lot of potential if the relationship gets more interesting and the duet performances are high quality enough.

Amagi Brilliant Park - This is another really weird show. A super talented child actor who had amazing career potential gives it all up after cracking under pressure from his mother. He quits showbiz forever, only to be roped into managing a dying amusement park by a highschool classmate who threatens him with a magical rifle. They probably eventually fall in love too. It's basically the same show as the one above, except with Theme Park instead of Mozart. Oh and really high KyoAni production values instead of inconsistent A-1 ones. But sadly it also has more fanservice and "animu" sexual harassment. You win some, you lose some...

Stuff I Dropped
Mysterious Joker - This kids show is basically an episodic heist show with a gentleman thief and his ninja sidekick. It's not bad, but it also doesn't really do anything remotely unique or noteworthy. It's basically a generic Saturday morning cartoon without any outstanding element.

Inou Battle - This light novel adaptation from Trigger is about what happens when a normal boring high school book club gets superpowers and then decides to do nothing with them. It's boring. It's stupid. It's cliched. Waste of time. Can't say it's a waste of talent though, since the show doesn't really exhibit much of it. They clearly aren't trying too hard here.

Seven Deadly Sins - This could be a pretty entertaining shounen action series with cool fights and designs which basically ripoff Fairy Tale, One Piece, and Hunter x Hunter. Except the main character is a huge pervert who likes to sexually harass the heroine in every episode. And she doesn't mind. That's not the sort of shit we should be teaching children, so I cannot in good faith support this garbage.
It's also a good excuse to drop the show so I don't have to listen to anymore garbage Sawano music.

I Really Should Drop This But I Can't
Psycho-Pass 2 - This is the same crappy Psycho-pass, except with even worse production values. Washed out colors, crappy designs, poor animation, boring action. Yet for some reason I can't stop. I can't look away. I am a tool who is entrapped by the ongoing mystery of "WC?" being written on walls. I need help. :(

Unable to Classify
Mushishi Season 2 Part 2 - This is Mushishi. Anyone who watches Mushishi knows exactly what to expect. It's really good, but no one who has watched it needs to be told that. Those who have never watched it should probably start in the first season or the start of the season season, or even the special which was released last December.

Gundam Reconguista in G - This is not a Gundam anime. This is a Tomino anime with Gundam in the title. If that doesn't make any sense to you, then you probably don't want to watch this. If it does make sense to you, you're probably already watching it. So there's really nothing to say!

Quasar

oh the bandits aren't my only complain ..my real complain is about the focus the anime takes and on that aspect i can go all day ..

Focus choice. Oh how often that comes up with novel series turned into anime. and having recently burned through the Bladedancer novel series it's oh so present in my mind.

As for Vanadis I feel at least here it's less narrowly focused than the Bladedancer anime was. Admittedly I've read more of the manga than I have the novels. But I'm pretty happy by the amount of politics and strategising in the show so far. I was expecting less.

Setokai yakuindomo Saison 2 - oav 02

What to say ..it's SYD , with a very oriented sports theme this time.

This means :
- JUDO ( lewd )
-BASEBALL ( not lewd )
-TENNIS ( wait what ? )

All was alright and then they did a dojima segment at the end ...

NOw after animating the suzu head segments , after giving them color , after moving iot left and right , now the "suzu head" has been upgraded with :
SOUND EFFECTS !!!
SYD2_oav2.gif

what will they think of , next ?

mankoto

Doten no Warau 3
If the ending implied that
Tenka was the vessel all along, I don't know what to say. It just felt random. The episode constantly reinforced the fact that he was very sick. I don't remember if the others hinted at that at all though. Although that does explain why the show worked with Soramaru a lot more than Tenka.

Meanwhile, Soramaru, being the idiot as usual is doing a job meant for Tenka, but is doing it in his place so he can show Tenka he's reliable. And what does that get him?
A nice face to face with the person that killed his parents.

AniHawk

since eureka seven ended and ended my enjoyment of anime-related programming for a good seven years, i really hadn't kept up with the stuff that's been going on. but thanks to a netflix addiction, i wound up watching the flavorless knights of sidonia. seeking anything better, i caught up on kill la kill, which surprised me in how not-as-bad as i thought it would be. since then, i've catching up on pretty much all the major shows that i missed out on from 2007-2014 including the following:

psycho-pass: i really enjoyed this one, and have already gotten three other people to watch it and enjoy it
fate/zero: i'd heard a lot of this series and it was recommended to me by a coworker who enjoyed the writer's work and thought i should check it out. fun show. really gets better in the second half though
madoka magica: coworkers for years have been raving about the show, and upon learning the connection to the two aforementioned, i decided to check it out (and only 12 episodes too, which was nice). i think of all my catch-up shows, this has by far been my favorite... mostly because i detest magical girl moe stuff so seeing such a bleak version of the genre was a lot of fun.
the devil is a part-timer: it was okay. funny in parts. i only checked it out since i saw it on a few top ten anime lists from last year. i don't think i can do comedy anime all the time, but this was fine.
gurren lagann: not as good as kill la kill, but i liked it enough. it's a little too bloated for its own good.
welcome to the nhk: i just finished this one and uh, it was fine in pieces. the conflicts never seemed too organic, but the characters themselves were interesting and seemed realistic.

and now i don't know what to do. i am kind of up for anything, even comedy. i do prefer shorter shows (141 episodes of hunter x hunter is daunting), and english voice acting, but neither is a dealbreaker, although i would like it if it's possible to view on netflix. i probably won't be one for fma brohood because i've seen the original and really don't have the patience to sit through a lot of the same story beats again.

was toradora really that good? i have the means to watch the english version but i don't know if i should.

Best, in no real order

Bahamut Genesis

It's a real fantasy series with no high school drama or amnesia or any bullshit to hold it back and the MCs have afros and pompadours, thank you mobage bucks

Parasyte

They kept the
dickarm!!!
Great adaptation so far, Madhouse continuing the work they put into HxH for this.

Reconguista in G

Taught me the world is not square.
G G G G G. Chu. Chuchu. Chuchummy. Chu. Chuchummy.

Great

Build Fighters Try

Still a greatly enjoyable show, but it's immensely enjoyable predecessor is still looming over it for right now.
Once Sekai does an Erupting Burning Finger expect it to shoot up a few ranks

Shirobako

Good show, but I feel like others like it way more then I do. Raw and real as fuck, making anime is no baby shit, kids

Gugure! Kokkuri-san

Mofu show of the season!
Good comedy show with a bit of a dark tinge.

Fate/Stay Night UBW

Pretty battles. Lots of talking.

Good

Chaika AVENGING BATTORUUUU

More Chaika, its a direct continuation so that basically tells you everything that needs to be said about it.

Amagi Brilliant Park

Rappers + Roller Coaster Tycoon = Surprisingly enjoyable show
However this can only go down in quality as the shadow of oh so tragic backstories.

Not as good as one would hope

Log Horizon 2

Well, it's still good. But I haven't really gotten into it yet. Also it looks uglier but not by an amount to raise a huge stink over.

Psycho-Pass 2

Oh my God Mika shut up and stop complaining about EVERYTHING
Usually I'm joking when I say the best part of the show is the OP.
But the best part of this show is the OP.

Cross Ange Tier

Cross Ange

It gets it's own tier. I'll let you decide what that means.

and now i don't know what to do. i am kind of up for anything, even comedy. i do prefer shorter shows (141 episodes of hunter x hunter is daunting), and english voice acting, but neither is a dealbreaker, although i would like it if it's possible to view on netflix. i probably won't be one for fma brohood because i've seen the original and really don't have the patience to sit through a lot of the same story beats again.

was toradora really that good? i have the means to watch the english version but i don't know if i should.

Noragami is on Netflix I think

Gundam Build Fighters you can watch here on the GundamInfo channel.

Samurai Flamenco 11-13

This is running at 5 frames per second now, very hard to ignore.

Also, I cannot give one fuck about the other Flamengers.

Flamengers is the weakest arc.
Everything after it is 100% gold though.

and now i don't know what to do. i am kind of up for anything, even comedy. i do prefer shorter shows (141 episodes of hunter x hunter is daunting)

I'm not one for long shows either, but Hunter x Hunter 2011 is one that's worth watching despite the length.

Midonin

What would it take for a show to both feel "anime", but also be considered "good"? From the dialogue in this thread, the two often sound like they're opposed, like being "anime" is something a show has to work against rather than work with.

mankoto

Donten ni Warau 4
Wait, if he's "okay," now, then what was that post credits in the last episode? Well, regardless, we got some a little backstory on Nishiki. Her family too, who killed by that fox guy. Although they both (Soramaru and her) want revenge, ultimately Soramaru decides to turn that frown upside down and suggests she does the same.
And there we find out she's "part" Fuuma (if that eye means anything).
We also go a little deeper into how Shirasu was found in that
the masked guy tried to kill him after killing the rest of his clan.

jman2050

What would it take for a show to both feel "anime", but also be considered "good"? From the dialogue in this thread, the two often sound like they're opposed, like being "anime" is something a show has to work against rather than work with.

Word usage is different. "Anime" as in the medium in general is not the same as "Anime" as in the collection of stereotypes and tropes that are associated with it. Depending on how much you like/tolerate/dislike those tropes, they can either work in favor of or against a show in question.

If you're not a hipster, being "anime" isn't categorically opposed to being "good"

cajunator

Banned

Madoka Magica owned it.

AniHawk

Noragami is on Netflix I think

Gundam Build Fighters you can watch here on the GundamInfo channel.

Well many people think Frozen is the best disney movie.

Btw recommendation to that Anihawk guy..

- The Eccentric Family

Flamengers is the weakest arc.
Everything after it is 100% gold though.

I'm not one for long shows either, but Hunter x Hunter 2011 is one that's worth watching despite the length.

thank you all for the suggestions. i guess i'll try and do hunter x hunter, but since noragami is short, i'll give it a shot first.

heard a lot of good things about the eccentric family, and i know it's getting an official release over here soon too. doubt it'll end up on netflix, but i should be able to check it out. guess i'll look into toradora too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom