• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

mankoto

Akatsuki no Yona 2
Well, that explains why he killed the king... I guess. It's just gone full circle. The escape was really nice to say the least. But what the Hell is this time skip? Who are these characters? Why are we in the middle of a battle?

Wait, we're just going to continue where we left off in the next episode? Then what was the point of that? They couldn't find a different way to burn that minute and 35 seconds?

duckroll

Execution.

I agree.

dxyqC2x.jpg

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mushi-shi S2 14
In some ways this is one of the more abstract episodes of Mushi-shi. With deja vu serving as the topic a great deal of non-linear storytelling comes in tow. This starts on a smaller scale, with the repetition of days well represented by abrupt audio cuts that create a familiarity with the passed time, and it quickly grows to a man's entire life playing out over and over again. Atypical of Mushi-shi, the story here is not told from Ginko's perspective, so the viewer is directly drawn into the repetitive time loop. It can be a little plain at times, with the story feeling indistinct and the production falling fairly low compared to other episodes in the series. Once the loop is recognized (by both the viewer and the main character), the story feels like it has run out of time, and it shortly draws itself to a predictable ending that feels flat with Mushi-shi's modest storytelling sensibilities.

Quasar

Log Horizon 2-4

This was boring as dirt.

Its interesting. With the books they separated the threads into separate books which I didn't much like given events are happening at the same time. In a way it reminds of how it was done with the two Song of Ice and Fire books where it was one story broken up by threads (which irked people - in part because of the time if all your favourites were in the second part)

Personally I liked this episode more than the last, because I find the raiding part pretty uninteresting. Which is why I found the book that was all about the raid pretty boring up until the end.

Defuser

Fate/Stay Night : Unlimited WOW works ep 3
Man I don't care about the rest if its shit but if ufotable is gonna keep this up with the flashy production fights then I'm willing to be michael bayed.

VRMN

Okay, pretty sure I have my list for the season unless one of the bottom-tier shows pisses me off enough to fall off the chopping block.

Good:
F/SN: Unlimited Blade Works - This was designed as a 'sequel' to Fate/Zero first and foremost, it seems, but I do enjoy seeing the nods to Fate/Zero quite a lot. Saber's reactions to 'Emiya' and then 'Einzbern' are among those highlights.
Rage of Bahamut - Hasn't quite lived up to the promise of episode one yet, but damn if it hasn't been an enjoyable ride nonetheless.
Your Lie in April - Pubescent romantic drama with a musical flavor added. It's basic and relatively easy to see the beats it's going to have to hit to get where it's going, but the visuals and characters are incredibly entertaining. And, oh yeah, the music is fantastic.
SHIROBAKO - I have to admit, I came into this thinking it'd be sugar-coated and uninterested and I've been horribly wrong on both counts.
Parasyte - Weird soundtrack aside, I've been very impressed by this so far. Great animation save for the awful CG crowds, interesting premise...looking forward to seeing where this is going and glad I've not read the manga.

Okay:
Supernatural Battles - Trigger still saving anime; I've been enjoying this over its quality level, but story aside, the visuals and characters have been fantastic.
Akame ga Kill - Kind of wondering what they're going to end this on.
Twin-Tails - The best. I expected Kampfer and got something that's not 'so bad it's good,' but might actually be pretty good on its own terms.
Happiness Charge Precure - I'm amazed I've stuck with this 24 minute a week commercial so long, but it is enjoyable despite the constant 'buy this' the show reeks of.
Dragon Ball Kai - I'd forgotten how slow the Buu saga is. It really has been a lot of nothing most weeks.
In Search of the Lost Future - Odd animation style, but reasonably interesting behind it.
I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying - Yukarin is a pretty good catch for a wife.

Meh:
Amagi Brilliant Park - Two good episodes out of four and two that made me question why I held KyoAni in such high regard in the first place.
Trinity Seven - I think I'm finally outgrowing these kind of shows; or at least those that aren't making fun of the subgenre while going about their business.
Celestial Method - Somehow enjoyable enough to not drop while simultaneously being stupid enough in terms of its basic plot to make my head spin.
Sailor Moon Crystal - Rewatching the original series in conjunction with this does the remake few if any favors. Yeah, there was a lot of padding to get them through the week to week proceedings while broadcasting alongside a monthly manga, but...the plot was never the high point of any Sailor Moon series. Cutting out the personality for more plot does the series no favors at all.

Dropped:
Fruit of Grisaia - Oh look, it's another one of these shows with more fanservice than sense. Bye~
Denki-Gai - Firmly in 'it's not bad, but...not good enough to make the cut.'
Psycho-Pass 2 - It's a pretty good sign if I go two weeks without caring about the series that I won't miss it if I cut it. So, cut.
Girlfriend (Beta) - I was kind of cutting it some slack by not dropping it after week one. Then week two was a diet episode and I was done.
Wolf Girl and Black Prince - What percentage of shoujo romances are effectively, "yeah, this guy's a jerk and mean to me, but I slowly fall in love with him anyway?" It feels like an abnormally high percentage of the ones that I'm aware of, anyway.

Girl Und Panzer 5

I keep waiting for this anime to reveal itself to be a yuri hentai in disguise, instead it keeps on being hand drawn girls popping out of cg tanks which looks all kinds of goofy. When does this start being good again?

Crocodile

From the New World 4

Infodumps. Infodumps everywhere. I was a little frustrated as to how these kids were kind of adverse to the truthbombs being dropped on them but I can understand the reaction as well. What I liked the most is that a lot of this is info you can infer from the previous episodes if you're paying attention. However we still have a ton more to learn about the world :)

Girls und Panzer 5

So when does this get good? I can appreciate that the characters are using their heads in the context of battle. For the most part their previous and impending victories feel earned. Pretty much everything else about this show continues to be lackluster however. If I had known the director of Shirobako also did this show I would have been very hesitant to give the former show a chance (not that the director is responsible for all the sins of any particular show of course).

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Girl Und Panzer 5

I keep waiting for this anime to reveal itself to be a yuri hentai in disguise, instead it keeps on being hand drawn girls popping out of cg tanks which looks all kinds of goofy. When does this start being good again?

From the New World 4

Infodumps. Infodumps everywhere. I was a little frustrated as to how these kids were kind of adverse to the truthbombs being dropped on them but I can understand the reaction as well. What I liked the most is that a lot of this is info you can infer from the previous episodes if you're paying attention. However we still have a ton more to learn about the world :)

Girls und Panzer 5

So when does this get good? I can appreciate that the characters are using their heads in the context of battle. For the most part their previous and impending victories feel earned. Pretty much everything else about this show continues to be lackluster however. If I had known the director of Shirobako also did this show I would have been very hesitant to give the former show a chance (not that the director is responsible for all the sins of any particular show of course).

what's wrong with you people

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Captain Earth 24

This was a pretty fun episode too. Very action movie like, especially the first half.

lol no for 9 full minutes.

extralol fucking
Puck out of now where

Attack on Titan 17

this dialogue sucks something bad

ah now that's an interesting twist

lol wat how? how did he pull that off? you know
that last litte trick of Rhina's and his appearance remind me of the original Armored...and he came out completely unharmed and smoking, like Eren does.
Hmmm...curious, sir, I'm curious.

Terror in Resonance 10

wow, umm okay. Well, there's that I guess.

One Week Friends 11

I love how well written every one is. Even the supposed antagonist (Hajime) shows little sign of being just some place holder for a stock character type. They act like actual people, actual high schoolers, and that so refreshing to watch. Saki, Kaori, Yuuki, Shogo, Hajime...they're all so real. They all struggle, have their own insecurities, and have their own very real motivations. So well done.

Yeah that little reveal was really fucking obvious. I saw it coming a literal country mile away.

The last episode looks to be very feels worthy.

Space☆Dandy 25

Better call Uncle Vinny, baby.

DAT BASEBALL SAKUGA

but overall wut

Girl Und Panzer 5

Girls und Panzer 5

If you don't like the show by now, you'll never like it. Which is too bad, because it is quite a good one.

Crocodile

If you don't like the show by now, you'll never like it. Which is too bad, because it is quite a good one.

Sometimes shows take a strong turn in the center that drastically improves (or decreases) their quality but at this point that's the sense I've gotten - what I've seen so far is what I'm going to get moving forward. Ah well, not everybody can love everything.

HappinessCharge Precure 37

dcd617939e.jpg
20385c8ddc.jpg

The Sagara's are experts of being NTR'd

What will happen in the MeguBowl? Is Hime content with losing the SeijiBowl? How come Yuuko was the one Hime gave half her pumpkin cake to (Because who doesn't love the YuuYuu?)

That one girl that confessed to Seiji still is missing from all this. Is this what happens when something works out? They just leave the circle of friends? Probably.

With the show pretty much setting up for the Generals to be Turned to good (or purified), Mirage feels the need to take other means. Hell, we're wrapping up another plot point in the next episode
What with Cure Tender being evil now
. Wrapping up plot points hoooo.

I'm not really sure why MoTW even pose a threat though. They have had zero powerups whatsoever. Usually, it's like Oh hay, it's Phantom wrecking shit or next episode's case.
There's like... no real powerscaling for the enemies, something that has existed in previous seasons to know fights are getting tougher. Hell, at this point, Generals should be more active in actually fighting, but given how lackluster the animation was back then when all three of them fought, I'm not surprised that it isn't done more often.

Given how the Cures keep leveling up, the overall powerscale really doesn't feel that compelling whatsoever. May as well say fuck the Terribads unless a powerup happens. And we have like.... 12 episodes left.

fertygo

Ace of Diamond - 54

You can't manipulate me show, the baldie is choking big time a la Lebron James, don't try to sugarcoat the loser.

cajunator

Banned
I watched the first episode of Denki-Gai after hearing comparisons to Working! but I came away feeling meh.

Wait till you see episode 2.

When is my Working S3 anyway
Someone Else>Coolish Walk

Correct OP ranking.

From the New World 4

Girls und Panzer 5

From the New World is pretty complex. There is a lot left to discover and I assure you it wont be boring!

Dresden

shirobako 2

The episode is basically one long sustained group conversation and seeing it flow from one topic to another as the characters reveal their private obsessions and insecurities was pretty damn great. It's amusing and interesting and, near the end, deeply passionate (and absurd as fuck; the mass hallucination of the three idols slew me and slew me guud). Bonus points for Hiyama as the Director.

Maruyama is too moe.

Branduil

shirobako 2

The episode is basically one long sustained group conversation and seeing it flow from one topic to another as the characters reveal their private obsessions and insecurities was pretty damn great. It's amusing and interesting and, near the end, deeply passionate (and absurd as fuck; the mass hallucination of the three idols slew me and slew me guud). Bonus points for Hiyama as the Director.

Maruyama is too moe.

ikXeBVFuiNP9Z.jpg

mankoto

Akatsuki no Yona 3
Yona is still pretty shaken up from last night. Although most of the episode is just backstory of the 3 them in their childhood.

efc5e3c91a.f.gif

Dresden

shirobako 3

All I could think about as the episode progressed was the story of that A-1 production assistant who killed himself. He'd apparently worked on the Big Windup as well; I wonder if Mizushima had him in mind for this. I guess it just works as something that's immediately understandable, something that anyone can relate to, when shit goes fubar and the servers get nuked and the pigeons get shot out of the air while carrying mail. The episode ends as a small triumph but the feeling persists that they've merely pushed off jiggly meme status into the future. I guess that's why they keep showing the old key animator every episode; he's basically this show's equivalent of shonen characters whispering about that.

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works 3:
Wow. That was basically an episode full of amazing looking fighting and a really great sense of growing terror for the characters. It was pretty effective stuff, and a big step up compared to the previous two episodes. Rini/Illya's confrontation was also pretty solid, I felt.

Plus, we got the added bonus of Kirei/Gilgamesh dialogue.

was toradora really that good? i have the means to watch the english version but i don't know if i should.
I love the show. It's great. I'm a bit partial to the Japanese since that's how I first watched it (specifically, Kugimiya's Taiga is a bit better), but the English dub is actually really quite good. It does the show a lot of justice and actually brought out some of the comedy that I actually missed when trying to parse out the original Japanese.

Fate/Stay Night UBW - 3

How could this have possibly been a visual novel at some point? I mean, holy shit. All this incredible Ufotable action, man. What was it like in the VN? "Their swords clashed and danced in the air, blah blah blah". Something like that with a few pictures? I don't know what it was, but I bet it doesn't compare to this.

We also have an interesting little Fate/Zero throwback with what was mentioned in that
little conversation between Gilgamesh and Kirei. I see Kiritsugu is still fresh in the man's mind as ever!

Fate/Stay Night UBW - 3

How could this have possibly been a visual novel at some point? I mean, holy shit. All this incredible Ufotable action, man. What was it like in the VN? "Their swords clashed and danced in the air, blah blah blah". Something like that with a few pictures? I don't know what it was, but I bet it doesn't compare to this.

Is it really such a mystery how action can be described with prose?

Is it really such a mystery how action can be described with prose?

I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm just saying that it's difficult for me to imagine that this show was once a VN.

90% of this episode was action, effects, and the kind of beautiful animation that you just can't get in those. Though I guess I can't really say much about that, since the only VN I've ever read was Katawa Shoujo. But even still, after this episode, I'd much rather see this show in motion rather than through text and still images.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Dat Mushi-shi. One of the best episodes in the series so far. Super creepy, seeing that person's lifespan hop from age to age in a blink of an eye. Then, a very sad ending.

A lot of thumbs up.

InuYasha 129

A derpy filler episode that would be cool in the random environment of reruns on tv, but in a marathon for story is completely forgettable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom