• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
did you just randomly start watching inu yasha, i know toonami finished it earlier this year

They didn't finish it, they lost the rights at episode 127. Yesterday they announced final act is coming on November 15th so I'm trying to watch the episodes to be caught up. Normally InuYasha filler is enjoyable but these first few have been groan worthy

TUSR

Banned
They didn't finish it, they lost the rights at episode 127. Yesterday they announced final act is coming on November 15th so I'm trying to watch the episodes to be caught up. Normally InuYasha filler is enjoyable but these first few have been groan worthy

They lost right rights at 127? So they are forgetting 40 episodes from the original series before Final Act?

They lost right rights at 127? So they are forgetting 40 episodes from the original series before Final Act?

They've already

Started One Piece 200 episodes including skipping about 50 then never aired on US TV

Started Naruto Shippuden skipping about 70 episodes of Naruto canon (and the whole filler hell)

So really it's not all that crazy, besides it's not like InuYasha as a whole hasn't aired on AS countless times over the years, the few odd balls who've never seen it before have 3 weeks to catch up if they were watching with the block. It can go doubly fast if you cut out the filler which seems to be most of the last 40ish episodes

Quasar

The watchlist cleanup begins.

Still watching:

• Ai Tenchi Muyo!
  • Akame ga Kill!
  • Akatsuki no Yona
  • Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai
  • Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works
  • Grisaia no Kajitsu
  • Log Horizon 2nd Season
  • Madan no Ou to Vanadis
  • Orenchi no Furo Jijou
  • Sanzoku no Musume Ronja
  • Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
  • Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis
  • Shirobako
  • Sword Art Online II
  • Trinity Seven

On the bubble:

• Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji

Dropped:

• Sora no Method
  • Donten ni Warau
  • Yumeiro Pâtissière
  • Girlfriend (Kari)
  • Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete
  • Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu.
  • Denki-Gai no Honya-san
  • Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken
  • Gugure! Kokkuri-san

Jarmel

Banned
Tamako Love Story-
ibnz1WuwGIH5TP.jpg
In some ways I thought the TV run for Tamako to be the worst of the Chuuni-modern KyoAni era, even worse than Kyoukai no Kanata to an extent. The reasoning being due to two main causes; that of the characters and the entire things boring as dirt. At least KnK kept me entertained most of the time even when it got mind-numbingly stupid. The love story in the TV series just sputtered for most of its run leaving the viewers with a big old case of blue balls. The movie is what the TV series should have been in that we get developments on the romance front. That said, the movie has a number of issues that really prevent it from being a classic or even memorable quite frankly.
The main problem with the movie are the characters. Mochizou tries to avoid Tamako for a period of time, then Tamako tries to avoid Mochizou. All of it just feels like the movie is stalling for time until it gets to the climax. It's awkward, drawn out, and boring. In some ways this reminds me of the shitty romance in Chuunibyou in that apparently people can't act like human beings but rather autistic puppets. The communication issues are so aggravating to watch. I'm fine with some level of awkwardness, which is to be expected from a couple of teenagers, but the movie takes it too far.
Then there are these stupid shitty 'events'(?) that don't add anything to the narrative and just make me wonder why they were even included in the first place. The influenza thing being one of them. The other being
Tamako's grandfather choking
which just feels like forced writing to get the narrative moving. Another example is
Tamako 'remembering that it was Mochizou who talked her out of her depression. That was extremely obvious but the way she remembered was so artificial that I groaned
I almost wanted to lick the screen to get a taste of Midori's tears. The only thing missing was a Kanna-like breakdown (you know which Kanna I'm talking about). Speaking of Kannas, Kanna was really the highlight of the movie, just as she was in the TV series.
The Tokyo thing really kinda felt underdeveloped and a way to just force the story to progress. The fact that
the movie ends without Mochizou deciding to head to Tokyo or not, really emphasized that for me. This also ties into a bigger issue I have with anime writing in that it seems so many relationships start and end with the initial confession. I feel like there should always be some level of followup, even if it's not extensive
The OST was okay in that there were a couple of good pieces, but nothing that really grabbed me. The animation on the other hand was phenomenal, it reminded me of KyoAni's Hyouka days. Although I do think Hyouka looked better. The opening sequence at the market really stood out due to the number of 2D animated people running about. The movie had a lot of good framing and lighting to really give off a good sense of atmosphere in some scenes. One thing that KyoAni's always been good at is close-up facial shots. This movie is no exception and they really use that depth of field effectively. One sequence I liked a lot was Tamako running back after she got wet, the use of watercolors really give it all a surreal feeling and conveyed Tamako's emotions pretty well. Of all the visual elements though, the one area that impressed me was the background work. This is one field where KyoAni has dropped in significantly since 2012. Comparing Amagi to this is really a stark difference. Background can really make a world of difference in making something feel 'alive' or like the show is taking place in an actual location.

I really wish KyoAni would take more time off and develop their products more on a visual and narrative level instead of rushing them. It's clear the studio is still extraordinarily capable but their production schedules really seem to be pushing their capacity as a studio.
In short, this wasn't the worst thing I've watched from KyoAni and it's definitely better than the TV run. The movie does still exhibit some of the same issues as the TV series but possibly due to the shorter runtime, it didn't irritate me near as much as in the TV series. Oh and Tamako in glasses is too cute.

If this is the level I can expect from KyoAni's movies, then the Kyoukai no Kanata movie should be fun to watch, even if the story/characters make me want to put a noose around my neck.

InuYasha 130

Shippo training filler foxes? I couldn't even finish this episode it was bad

InuYasha 131

Oh hey a canon episode and its actually good, yay. Another episode pushing Miroku x Sango which feels like it should be official at this point but isn't for really no reason anymore. Though it amazes me how many canon epiosdes have demon/possessed girls manipulate Miroku and Sango has to save him... Or thats what should happen if Sango didn't suck and always lose/get captured like she did in this episode.

Karas 1-6

I was at least entertained, I guess. Fights were well-animated, the CG was used extremely well. Plot and characters existed, and I can't say they were bad, but not particularly great.

What would it take for a show to both feel "anime", but also be considered "good"? From the dialogue in this thread, the two often sound like they're opposed, like being "anime" is something a show has to work against rather than work with.

Use of anime stereotypes I think. Like some shounen battles with dense main character and power of friendship, or typical romance comedy on school with crazy situations that seem normal to everyone or shojos being super shojos.

Blusby

Loving:
Unlimited Blade Works
Parasyte
Shingeki no Bahamut
Shirobako

Liking:
Nanatsu no Taizai
Grisaia no Kajitsu
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Magic Kaito 1412
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Garo: the Animation

Meh:
Akatsuki no Yona
Amagi Brilliant Park
Yuuki Yuuna blahblahblah

Twintails:
Twintails

It's shit:
Terra Formars
Psycho Ass 2
Akame ga Kill!
Trinity Seven
Tribe Cool Crew (amazing cg dance offs and ass shots at every corner!)
Cross Ange
(actually an amazing series)

Tomino:

Cross Ange 04 alright i chuckled at the dumb attempts to mess w/ her.

Watch list ☑=like a lot.
Akame ga Kill!
Amagi Brilliant Park
Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo
Grisaia no Kajitsu ☑☑
Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle ☑
Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu ☑
Madan no Ou to Vanadis
Ore, Twintails ni Narimasu ☑
Psycho-Pass 2
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis
Sora no Method
Sword Art Online II
Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete ☑?
Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru ☑

Jex

[Cross Ange] - 4

One thing I will say to this shows credit is it understands exactly the kind of show it is and it delivers on that particular front. It's very self aware unlike, say, Sword Art Online S2 which had pretensions of being a 'serious emotional drama'. Cross Ange doesn't make that kind of mistake. It's refreshingly committed to be being trashy.

I think the entirety of the series has run on Cartoon Network like 50 times at least.

It and Ghost in the Shell were still on every weeknight(well 2-4AM) before Toonami returned.

Cross Ange 04

67b329e805.jpg
4b7e356947.jpg

Not even trying anymore.

These girls are extremely quick to pull out their knives on each other. Every conversation turns into a game of Knifey-Spooney.

So now Ange has made a stunning transformation from annoying sheltered princess to annoying condescending asshole. She has now found the courage to call everyone bugs and cockroaches, and to just generally not give a shit. The genki red haired girl who always has a lollipop is trying to make friends with her, so she will die sometime soon.

This show is so, so weird. It feels like two different shows trying to coexist with one another. One being a bad new Sunrise mecha show, and the other being an ecchi show. But in some freak accident they were combined into the same thing. Some highlights from this amazing episode -
  1. Ange getting her uniform cut up, but keeps wearing it anyway. You can probably imagine what it looked like. She then leaps at the girl who did it with a knife and slices her clothes in the lewd bits. Ange walks around with half her clothes torn up, and the non-Norma commander lady tells her to go buy a new uniform. This is odd because her uniform doesn't look that different from the standard one, and some others are basically just wearing a bra and panties.
  2. One of the anti-Ange girls utter the word "whoregoblin". I had to pause because I couldn't stop laughing. They then find a lacey piece of underwear, decide it is Ange's, and propose to string it up in the hallway. It's not Ange's and they get attacked by a woman in a towel who uses wrestling moves.
  3. Another anti-Ange faction incident, this time they put a pill in her waterbottle, and when she drinks it, she kisses the girl and spits the water into her mouth. The girl then rushes to the toilet.
  4. The red head anti-Ange leader buys the sexnasium from the previous sexual harassment commander. She then carries on the proud tradition by immediately fucking her two lackeys.
  5. After the coitus, she gets up and walks over to the window and pulls out the aforementioned sexual harassment commander's fake eye. She is naked, I don't know where she put it. Then she throws it out the window into the Ocean.

But the ending. My God the ending. That is some next level shit. None of the above can even compare to this majesty.
Ange gets taken into the water by a dragon. Her cockpit starts filling up with water, and it fades to black. She then wakes up, naked, in bed, tied up by her wrists, next to KIRA YAMATO. END EPISODE.

Code Geass 1-7

f00NPww.jpg
MoGSDdN.jpg

Ah yes, the great symbol of the imperial conquests of Britannia. Pizza Hut. Typical Narag revisionist history

Oh yeah, I'm watching this too. At the same time. Side by side.
Of course, I watched a handful of episodes years ago so I only remember half of it. Norio Wakamoto's gloriously overplayed acting and engrish. YES, MY LORD. YES, YOUR HIGHNESS. The same Geass animation used every episode. CLAMP proportions. C.C.'s pizza addiction. Suzuku's kick. That fucking cat.
I might as well start on Victory Gundam and Valvrave S2 so I can just rush into this Sunrise induced coma.

JIBUN WOOOOO is still the greatest OP of all time though

Jex

Evaluation Time

Excellent Tier

Mushishi - This show should need no introduction.

Great Tier

Bahamut - Definitely one of the surprises of the season, this adventure/fantasy series from MAPPA based on a f2p game certainly came out of the gate strong and with an impressive display of action and animation. If the writing for this series can continue to be sharp and fun (and if the production values hold up) this will prove to be a very special show indeed.

Shirobako - The most enjoyable slice of inside baseball I've ever seen!

[Parasyte] - A really strong adaptation of apparently great source material, Madhouse.

Good Tier

G-Reco - Tomino has returned to the world of anime and blessed up with his vision. Thank you, you visionary.

Chaika S2 - More Chaika! It's basically the worlds most standard fantasy adventure.

Wallpaper Tier

F/SN - This show is very pretty.

Try Harder Tier

Gundam Build Fighter Try - Despite what some people might lead you to believe, this show is singificantly worse than it's predecessor. While the weaker production values are to be expected with Sunrise making two shows this season, I'm yet to be convinced by the main cast. Neither am I thrilled that one the first seasons most lambasted elements, the Super Move, has appeared from the very first episode. Still, this could always get better.

[Trashy Tier]

Cross Ange - So trashy that it hurts.

Tamako Love Story
I wasn't sure what to expect considering that the TV series was among the more insipid and dull things I've seen animated, but I actually enjoyed this. It meanders and stretches things out too much at points, but this film somehow actually made me interested in these character and the more focused narrative did wonders for giving it purpose. There being no bird character helped immensely.

so like
is the rest of the Tamako Market series required watching before checking out Love Story?

You don't need to watch the TV series. If anything I'd recommend skipping it unless you're having sleeping problems.

Good Tier
G-Reco - Tomino has returned to the world of anime and blessed up with his vision. Thank you, you visionary.
I don't know how to handle people praising G-Reco seriously. Tomino has corrupted all your minds.

Evaluation Time

Excellent Tier

Mushishi - This show should need no introduction.

Great Tier

Bahamut - Definitely one of the surprises of the season, this adventure/fantasy series from MAPPA based on a f2p game certainly came out of the gate strong and with an impressive display of action and animation. If the writing for this series can continue to be sharp and fun (and if the production values hold up) this will prove to be a very special show indeed.

Shirobako - The most enjoyable slice of inside baseball I've ever seen!

[Parasyte] - A really strong adaptation of apparently great source material, Madhouse.

Good Tier

Chaika S2 - More Chaika! It's basically the worlds most standard fantasy adventure.

Wallpaper Tier

F/SN - This show is very pretty.

Try Harder Tier

Gundam Build Fighter Try - Despite what some people might lead you to believe, this show is singificantly worse than it's predecessor. While the weaker production values are to be expected with Sunrise making two shows this season, I'm yet to be convinced by the main cast. Neither am I thrilled that one the first seasons most lambasted elements, the Super Move, has appeared from the very first episode. Still, this could always get better.

[Trashy Tier]

Cross Ange - So trashy that it hurts.

I agree with everything except G reco being a good anime. Its anything but one from what I've seen and though it was only one episode it was enough to put me off the entire show.

javac

Anime Limited just announced that they have acquired the license to release baccano! on Blu-ray in the UK.

Glasgow, UK 26 Ocotober, 2014 - Anime Limited, the Glasgow-based anime licensing company and parent company of All the Anime, are pleased to announce the release of the classic Takahiro Omori series Baccano! on blu-ray for the UK.

Anime Limited will release the complete series on blu-ray only. The plan is to release this classic as an Ultimate Edition depending on on what materials are made available. Details on the release and dates are yet to be confirmed.

President of Anime Limited, Andrew Partridge says: “I’m beyond ecstatic to release Baccano! on blu-ray! I’ve been trying to release this since it first came out when I was at Beez but, alas, lost out to Funimation. I am super psyched to be releasing this and will push for as much as I can get to make an Ultimate Edition. Watch this space!”

Link

fertygo

Cross Ange - 04

Can't stop laughing.. Shirobako documentary material became pale unless they cover the background story for something like this.

javac

Wait...since when has there been a Baccano blu ray!? I never knew that...

It was out in the US and Japan on Blu-ray. It came out in the US on Blu-ray on May 17, 2011 and was re-released on Jul 31, 2012. Both releases were Limited and available at RightStuf.com for around $60. It was region free if I'm correct. Rightstuff however said that Due to licensing and contract restrictions, this product can be sold and shipped to the US and Canada only.

Original:
Re-release:

cajunator

Banned
It was out in the US and Japan on Blu-ray. It came out in the US on Blu-ray on May 17, 2011 and was re-released on Jul 31, 2012. Both releases were Limited and available at RightStuf.com for around $60. It was region free if I'm correct. Rightstuff however said that Due to licensing and contract restrictions, this product can be sold and shipped to the US and Canada only.

Original:

Re-release:

Reminds me. I need to get this. Only have dvd.

JoeFu

Banned
Cross Ange was just bad this week. Not even the good kind of bad like the last episodes. Not even the ending made up for it, but seriously wtf lol.

fertygo

Cross Ange was just bad this week. Not even the good kind of bad like the last episodes. Not even the ending made up for it, but seriously wtf lol.
Its the funniest eps so far... the fail bulliy montage is straight out from thailand sitcom lol

cajunator

Banned
FATE STAY NIGHT UBW - 02

i have been spoiled by 45 mins episodes ..

but well aside form small changes, nods to FATE/ZERO, 200% irony and such ..at least i had "this"

So it wasn't that bad.

What more do you need?

I watched the first episode of Denki-Gai after hearing comparisons to Working! but I came away feeling meh.

It doesnt compare very favorably. Its pretty funny at times and certainly cute, but no where near as good as Working.

Cross Ange 04

These girls are extremely quick to pull out their knives on each other. Every conversation turns into a game of Knifey-Spooney.

So now Ange has made a stunning transformation from annoying sheltered princess to annoying condescending asshole. She has now found the courage to call everyone bugs and cockroaches, and to just generally not give a shit. The genki red haired girl who always has a lollipop is trying to make friends with her, so she will die sometime soon.

This show is so, so weird. It feels like two different shows trying to coexist with one another. One being a bad new Sunrise mecha show, and the other being an ecchi show. But in some freak accident they were combined into the same thing. Some highlights from this amazing episode -
  1. Ange getting her uniform cut up, but keeps wearing it anyway. You can probably imagine what it looked like. She then leaps at the girl who did it with a knife and slices her clothes in the lewd bits. Ange walks around with half her clothes torn up, and the non-Norma commander lady tells her to go buy a new uniform. This is odd because her uniform doesn't look that different from the standard one, and some others are basically just wearing a bra and panties.
  2. One of the anti-Ange girls utter the word "whoregoblin". I had to pause because I couldn't stop laughing. They then find a lacey piece of underwear, decide it is Ange's, and propose to string it up in the hallway. It's not Ange's and they get attacked by a woman in a towel who uses wrestling moves.
  3. Another anti-Ange faction incident, this time they put a pill in her waterbottle, and when she drinks it, she kisses the girl and spits the water into her mouth. The girl then rushes to the toilet.
  4. The red head anti-Ange leader buys the sexnasium from the previous sexual harassment commander. She then carries on the proud tradition by immediately fucking her two lackeys.
  5. After the coitus, she gets up and walks over to the window and pulls out the aforementioned sexual harassment commander's fake eye. She is naked, I don't know where she put it. Then she throws it out the window into the Ocean.

But the ending. My God the ending. That is some next level shit. None of the above can even compare to this majesty.
Ange gets taken into the water by a dragon. Her cockpit starts filling up with water, and it fades to black. She then wakes up, naked, in bed, tied up by her wrists, next to KIRA YAMATO. END EPISODE.

Code Geass 1-7

Oh yeah, I'm watching this too. At the same time. Side by side.
Of course, I watched a handful of episodes years ago so I only remember half of it. Norio Wakamoto's gloriously overplayed acting and engrish. YES, MY LORD. YES, YOUR HIGHNESS. The same Geass animation used every episode. CLAMP proportions. C.C.'s pizza addiction. Suzuku's kick. That fucking cat.
I might as well start on Victory Gundam and Valvrave S2 so I can just rush into this Sunrise induced coma.

JIBUN WOOOOO is still the greatest OP of all time though

C.C. BEST GIRL
Pizza Hut worst pizza

Kansoku

Amazing
Mushishi

Having Fun
Amagi Brilliant Park

Ok
World Trigger

Want to watch
Shirobako
Bahamut
Parasyte

Consuming my soul
College

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Anime i pick this season

- Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis

Legit good. F2P money at work here!

- Shirobako

I expect cute girl doing animation, i get more than that.

- Ore, twintail ni narimasu

Show is stupid, but self aware and play it as a joke. Also, ending song is by Papiyon.

-Psycho Pass 2

Tow Ubukata replacing Gen Urobutcher, but Tow Ubukata also known as the writer of Mardock Scramble, which is as gorey and sick like other Urobutcher show. There's a drop in animation quality, but other than that, it's a ok anime to watch

- Log Horizon 2

Database, database, just struggling in the database woah woah
The animation quality got knocked down
The change in character design is disappointing

- Amaburi

It's pretty, and the comedy is a hit or miss, but i like it.

- Parasyte

Great adaptation by madhouse. Their attempt to modernize the setting working better than i expected. Except dubstep and CG people, screw that.

- Inou battle

I'll watch this just for the hell of it.

- UBW

Unlimited budget work, and it show. The whole thing is gorgeous.

Chaika Avenging battle

Chaika, cute. Must see end. Why not.
=======================================================
UBW 3
I can't even.
The fight scene is gorgeous. So many hype moment. Lot of explosion.

The Best.

Shirobako

The ones inbetween.

G-Reco
Gundam Build Fighters: TRY

The one that's a little disappointing.

Log Horizon S2

The ones I need to get round to watching.

Bahamut
Garo
Tribe Cool Crew

The old one that everyone should be watching.

Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin

Cross Ange 04

I'm glad I'm not watching this and instead get to read this hilarious impressions/write-ups. That ending lmao.

lonely

Some of my pick ups from London Comic Con, just wanted to point out AnimeGaf's favourite reviews site as the box quote on KlK, although it is luckily removable. And also ask if Giant Robo is any good because it was cheap.

sonicmj1

The Best

Rage of Bahamut
Shirobako
Parasyte

The Good

Gundam Build Fighters

The One I'm Only Still Watching Because My Friend is a Type Moon Fanboy and I Feel Like I Should Experience The Thing He Likes to Have an Informed Opinion

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works

Emergency Triage Drop Because My Life is Busy

Amagi Brilliant Park

Dropped

Log Horizon S2

Top tier:
Shirobako
Gundam Reconguista in G

Great:
Your Lie in April
Parasyte

Enjoyable:
Yona of the Dawn
Rage of Bahamut: Genesis
Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works

Dropped:
Amagi Brilliant Park

javac

Some of my pick ups from London Comic Con, just wanted to point out AnimeGaf's favourite reviews site as the box quote on KlK, although it is luckily removable. And also ask if Giant Robo is any good because it was cheap.

Giant Robo is the fucking greatest of all time. Seriously it's phenomenal. I wrote a crappy little thing about it in the thread about Anime that need more love (here) and it's seriously one of my favorites of all time. Legit amazing show.

It's time for my list :
MUST SEE
-Twintails
-Chaika
-FS/n UBW

GOOD
-Log horizon
-Shirobako
-Yukiyuna
-Hi school seha girls
-Ushinawareta mirai wo motomete
-Selector spread wixoss