• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finalow

8 Gundam Build Fighters
-
10 Space Battleship Yamato 2199

VTNHu.gif

Cross Ange - 04

Ah man I love this. Ange being a 'bitch', the little bullies trying to avenge Bubba only to blow up in their own faces
Loli-pop don't be friendly Ange you know what happened to Coco ;_;

Is this the space jesus guy I've been hearing about?

cj_iwakura

Durarara 17

I love that despite how many crazy pieces get added into the puzzle, it still all fits.

And the OP & ED for Season 2 are just stellar.

Thoraxes

Wait...since when has there been a Baccano blu ray!? I never knew that...

Reminds me. I need to get this. Only have dvd.
It's rare now. I have a friend who has a bluray copy thankfully. Good luck finding one cheap or even normally priced.
At last the saga is over! RightStuf was extremely helpful in getting me a replacement shipment.
best company ever. At this point Im so in love with that company I sound like a shill.

Hell yeah! They've been good to me.

Detective Conan 333:
Yukiko is so terrible with keeping Conan's identity secret that she almost makes Heiji look good at it. Yukiko and Eri's interactions in this episode are great, between their friendship moments, and then how heated they get when they learn there's a chance the tie could be broken. Great interactions all around. I always love it when Yukiko shows up. The new opening is also pretty good.

Midonin

Cross Ange 04

I'm kind of amused by their form of cash being called.... "cash". Other than that, if they destroy each other with infighting, what's going to be done about the dragons? You'd think that would be a big deal.

Celestial Method 04

I feel for Yuzuki, I really do. Nothing was acknowledged of it, but a very brief flashback hints there may be more to her personal trauma than simply not being able to see the fireworks. Having Noel support her in her cause makes me feel bad for Noel, too. At least she was able to turn it into something cute. We're not even sure if the saucer was something that came from another world, or whether it's something that the kids wished up on their own, and is tied to them entirely. Either way, Noel's a mystery, the saucer's a mystery, but Nonoka attempting to repair her friendships is not.

duckroll

Today, Hideaki Anno and Studio Khara announced the "Japan Animator Expo" project. It's an omnibus collection of shorts featuring various Japanese talents and animators which will be streamed for free on the official site.

There's currently a trailer on the site here: http://animatorexpo.com/

The first short will be up on the site on Nov 7, and they'll be a new one every Friday. The first one is directed by novelist Otaro Maijo and anime director Kazuya Tsurumaki, with animation direction and deisgns by Yoshimichi Kameda.

Anno is supervising this project, it is produced by Studio Khara, and they have "support" from their friends at Studio Ghibli too, with Hayao Miyazaki writing out the logo text and Toshio Suzuki coloring it (lol).

This looks pretty exciting. They've said that anything goes with the shorts in this project, so they'll be featuring original shorts, spin-off shorts from existing works, music videos, promotional videos, and so on.

Today, Hideaki Anno and Studio Khara announced the "Japan Animator Expo" project. It's an omnibus collection of shorts featuring various Japanese talents and animators which will be streamed for free on the official site.

The first short will be up on the site on Nov 7, and they'll be a new one every Friday. The first one is directed by novelist Otaro Maijo and anime director Kazuya Tsurumaki, with animation direction and deisgns by Yoshimichi Kameda.

Anno is supervising this project, it is produced by Studio Khara, and they have "support" from their friends at Studio Ghibli too, with Hayao Miyazaki writing out the logo text and Toshio Suzuki coloring it (lol).

This looks pretty exciting. They've said that anything goes with the shorts in this project, so they'll be featuring original shorts, spin-off shorts from existing works, music videos, promotional videos, and so on.

I like the bicycle one and whatever anime this one is.
B04cwKXCQAAUUgL.png:large

duckroll

Did they say how long it would run?

Seems like an ongoing project. They have a full English section too. Just click on the EN at the top right.

The short film series "Japan Anima(tor)'s Exhibition"
presented by Studio Khara and Dwango

Original projects, spin-off projects, promotional films, Music PV, and VJ Films etc...
Various omnibus animations produced with love and energy, regardless of any genres.
The digital distribution anime series bring opportunities for project development, R&D, human resources development, and free production under limited period and budget, to explore the possibilities of future film production.

We planned this short film project for believing in the pursuit and exploitation of fun of images that Japanese animation has, deepening and diversity of flexible expression, understanding and exploitation of inidivisual talents, and the dreams and possibilies to the future, which are inherent in Japanese anima(tor)s.
I appreciate your kind support and approval with this small resistance as many as possible.

Hideaki Anno, Studio Khara

Honestly I am completely out of anime, but I do believe that all the innovations come from reckless challenges. The challenges come not only from young abilities but also from mature skills of experts. But we cannot start anything without setting opportunity to offer challenges. I hope this small project would be a part of contribution to the future development of Japanese anime.

Nobuo Kawakami, Dwango

About the episode 1 "The Dragon Dentist"

Director Otaro Maiyo
Animation director Kazuya Tsurumaki
Character design Yasuyuki Kosaka
Animation character design, Animation director Yoshinori Kameda
Animation execution Studio Khara

Digested Story

A girl comes there to become a dentist of a dragon. She is with other new freshman applicants, but there is no announcement from a senior as guidance. They are confused and taken along with the senior. The only way is just to walk through freshman's path, which is dark and strange. They do not know where they are. Not knowing what to do, she is approaching to the secret of dragon, but she does not realize yet. The adventure has already begun.

Mr.Jeff

Glass Fleet - END

A show full of wind.

This was absolutely 100% abysmal in every sense of the word. A nonsensical plot that lacked any sense of pacing or coherent structure and riddled with problems.

Main characters that lack coherent fundamental motivations. The two main female leads re both horrendously incompetent - with one being a leader of a vast army and yet having abandon near enough every ship she sets foot on while at the same time being totally reliant on the male lead.

The other starts out as a apparently strong independent women before being seduced by utter garbage inane metaphors, somehow falling in love despite repeated stating in the first half that there wouldn't be any before going mad because she becomes so dependent on the male character that she loses all rational thought.

While I am by far the best person to speak of production values, this show was a train wreck of off-model scenes and stilted animation.

I never want to set eyes on this utterly inept, miserable piece of rubbish ever again.

The Story Of Saiunkoku - 01

Starts out strong with a beautiful OP. History with some mythical battle and a hero who saves the empire as told by our main character Shuurei, one of the daughters of a noble family.
She seems like a pretty earnest and hard working lady who has ambitions to make a better life standard for herself in a mans world. To her surprise she's offered to be the kings consort in order to "straighten him out".
This had some funny moments with Shuurei's way of thinking, and her comments, along some side characters. There's been many characters introduced, it's going to messy at first keeping all the names in check. All in all this was enjoyable and I can tell this has many likeable characters already.

Oh shit Light Yamagi is the king.. and this is 78 episodes long, this is going to take a while if I decide to ride this one out. I haven't seen much talk about this show, but after a google impression search the story and characters are supposed to be great?

I'm down for this

Second Season Stuff
SAO II - Continuation of SAO. If you haven't been watching since it started in the summer there is no reason to start now.
Log Horizon II - More Log Horizon but it's starting slow. Hopefully the pace will pick up soon.
Chaika Avenging Battle - A video game in anime form where a cute girl and cutthroat mercs gather objects on a journey around the kingdom.

Other Stuff
Parasyte - Very competent so far. Premise is bizarre and characters are interesting enough. Looks to get more interesting with the teacher around.
FSNUBW - All flash no substance. Likely dropping this soon if things don't improve.
Twintails the Animation - Really stupid yet somehow amazing.

Will check out if I can find the time
Rage of Bahamut
Shirobako
Mushishi - Slowly making my way through the first season atm

VRMN

I'm not sure there's a lazier mechanic to create drama in anime than "I forgot X from my childhood." Mostly because usually when it's deployed the characters, being anime characters, haven't aged enough to realistically forget things like the names of their best friends. To the best of my knowledge, the only reason not only Nonoka, but literally everyone but Shiori and maybe Souta forgot Nonoka's name and face, was so the characters would believably not shun her from minute one...so they can get their shunning in now.

And seriously someone needs to explain quickly why everyone dislikes the saucer. It seems to be a benevolent tourist attraction. With easily the most adorable character in the show as its personification. I know that Yuzuki doesn't like it because the fireworks are no longer held because of it and now there's clearly more to it but...that doesn't explain why everyone else holds a grudge? It just seems like a sloppily-held-together plot with its characters' forgotten memories stringing together disproportionate anger.

The characters aren't even bad and Noel is reason enough to watch the show despite its myriad flaws, but the drama here is overwhelmingly manufactured.

Baby Steps 24:
The new coach seems like he'll do some good for Ei-chan. I like seeing him exploring what his desires are and trying to figure out these things and what he has to do without tennis. And maybe some romance developments, too.

Midonin

Wolf Girl 04

I liked Erika in red glasses. It's a look that fits her (and her clones). I'm not sure why she was working so hard to change herself for Kyoya, though. That plan feels kinda... Greasey. Should've used the Futaba method of trying to not be attractive, though that may be my personal biases speaking. Takeru's not a bad guy, though, if a bit of a lunkhead.

Starts out strong with a beautiful OP. History with some mythical battle and a hero who saves the empire as told by our main character Shuurei, one of the daughters of a noble family.
She seems like a pretty earnest and hard working lady who has ambitions to make a better life standard for herself in a mans world. To her surprise she's offered to be the kings consort in order to "straighten him out".
This had some funny moments with Shuurei's way of thinking, and her comments, along some side characters. There's been many characters introduced, it's going to messy at first keeping all the names in check. All in all this was enjoyable and I can tell this has many likeable characters already.

Oh shit Light Yamagi is the king.. and this is 78 episodes long, this is going to take a while if I decide to ride this one out. I haven't seen much talk about this show, but after a google impression search the story and characters are supposed to be great?

Saiunkoku is fantastic. You should give it a serious chance.

Saiunkoku is fantastic. You should give it a serious chance.

This is a awesome show and i mean it
Well done characters , an heroine that get things done... good backstories , colorfull and unique characters.
As long as you can wistand the obvious Tones toward the other side ( that are decoys most of the time ) you'll be fine.

Midonin

Akame ga Kill 17

Chelsea! You really can't get attached to anyone in this show. I mean, I knew what I was in for ever since the first episode, but it's only getting worse.

Defuser

Tamako Love Story
Midori = motherfucking REKT R-E-K-T . Kanna is still the best character of the show even in a movie. I'm glad that KyoAni put a proper closure to this series, it goes to show that terrible bird is a useless addition to the show.

The plot is the same cliche which most romance overuse which is boy confess girl, girl stumble,awkward pursues and takes along ass while to decide before finding out boy is leaving for somewhere but KyoAni does it well with the productions, the music.etc which I can not get tired of it.

Tamako finally going through what Mochibro had been going through for 10 years. Although the ending leaves to a open interpretation but in the end the main important thing that got through which is the confession from Tamako which leaves me good and satisfied enough. Speaking of which, what is the point of that short hair Tamako in the key visual when the movie was first reveal when it was never in the actual?

I hope Kyoani does a original series again.

Akame ga Kill 17

Chelsea! You really can't get attached to anyone in this show. I mean, I knew what I was in for ever since the first episode, but it's only getting worse.

Akame ga Kill! Episode 17 – Kill the Curse

Reasons I dont get attached to
femchars why all the ones I enjoy end up beat up or killed off, screw AKAME GA KILL!!!!!!!!!!!

Well ,
the bodycount can only go higher in this anime

So one of my friends told me that watching the show isn't worth it and had us just watch the rebuilds. We watched 1.11 last week and I watched 2.22 last night. I'm convinced he's a dingbat. It seems like the movies would make more sense with the actual TV story's background. I have literally no idea what's going on. I know the show is confusing in its own right, but watching like this is just confusing as hell. I mean the movies look and sound superb. But I guess it's time for me to go watch the actual show m

Moral of the story: Don't listen to your friend's opinion in anime just because they're your friend.

phaze

thank you all for the suggestions. i guess i'll try and do hunter x hunter, but since noragami is short, i'll give it a shot first.

heard a lot of good things about the eccentric family, and i know it's getting an official release over here soon too. doubt it'll end up on netflix, but i should be able to check it out. guess i'll look into toradora too.

If you can bear with something slower and bloody, check out Shigurui: Blood Frenzy. It's a story of two samurai vying for the hand of an heiress to the fortune. It's on netflix Though it adapted only part of the manga so you won't get a proper resolution to the story. Toradora is a good if predictable romantic comedy. I did dislike the ending but it's a good watch nonetheless.

Serial Experiments Lain 7

16fpuz.png

Geee that's so reassuring guys ! Yes I totally will get into a black car with two creepy adults
tumblr_n9q5wrmsfk1smccrjwt.gif

So I assume this episode confirmed
Lain is some kind of freak experiment with fake family or something. But why did the sister seem to care about her then ? And I still have no idea what the hell happened to the said sister at the end of episode 5. Maybe the Knights got her.
So many questions ....

And speaking of them, they don't look very threatening.
fat guy, a housewife and some business guy ? Hyde Lain will kick their butts.

It's time for my list :
MUST SEE
-Twintails
-Chaika
-FS/n UBW

GOOD
-Log horizon
-Shirobako
-Yukiyuna
-Hi school seha girls
-Ushinawareta mirai wo motomete
-Selector spread wixoss

BARELY OK
-Vanadis
-Psycho pass 2
-Gundam build fighter Try
-Trinity seven
-Grisaia no kajitsu
-Amaghi brillant park

DROPPED with the force of 2000 suns
-Kokkuri -san
-Ai tenchi muyo
-World trigger

I need to start watching Bahamut & cross ange ASAP

Parasyte?

Midonin

Grisaia 04

Though one is a novel light and the other a novel visual, I find this and Inou Battle's long discussions hold my attention. Whether they're setting up for a punchline or just characters trading quips with each other, it's entertaining. Michiru
bleaches her hair
, which makes the comments about the coloring in episode one amusing in retrospect. And dammit show, stop it with the dead kitties. My heart can only break so many times.

So one of my friends told me that watching the show isn't worth it and had us just watch the rebuilds. We watched 1.11 last week and I watched 2.22 last night. I'm convinced he's a dingbat. It seems like the movies would make more sense with the actual TV story's background. I have literally no idea what's going on. I know the show is confusing in its own right, but watching like this is just confusing as hell. I mean the movies look and sound superb. But I guess it's time for me to go watch the actual show m

Moral of the story: Don't listen to your friend's opinion in anime just because they're your friend.

You done goofed.

Yeah, that was terrible advice on your friend's part. Rebuild isn't as good as the TV series, and it also really would make more sense if you had seen it. Always go for the original first.

phaze

Durarara 17

I love that despite how many crazy pieces get added into the puzzle, it still all fits.

And the OP & ED for Season 2 are just stellar.

It's the Saika part right ? That took me by surprise. lol

Second OP is godly, I agree.

Watching:

Parasyte, Shingeki no Bahamut , F/SN:UBW

Will go for Shirobako if it continues getting good impressions.

Dropped:

G-Reco (Dear Lord), Garo

Bad advice

What exactly was your friend's reasoning behind "it's not worth it"?

Yeah, that was terrible advice on your friend's part. Rebuild isn't as good as the TV series, and it also really would make more sense if you had seen it. Always go for the original first.
I mean, I enjoyed what I saw, it's just that it made almost zero sense. Always going for the original first is good advice.
What exactly was your friend's reasoning behind "it's not worth it"?
He seemed utterly convinced that the rebuilds were better than the original series and that the show was a waste of time.
You done goofed.
Definitely a goof. This was a guy who didn't like Log Horizon (which I love) or Gurren Lagann (which I love even more), so I should probably stop listening to him.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Tamako Love Story
The ending i've been waiting for.
It's fun to revisit Tamako Market. I like the tv series unironically just for it being cute and full of happy go around supporting cast. Nothing to spectacular, but the animation is still good as expected of Kyoani. The director play around with some scene, doing the weird angle, using sephia filter for flashback, and other kind of thing. The story could be cut short, but other than that, it's good. I want some conclusion between Mochizou and Tamako, and that exactly what i got.

Kanna still the best, and Midori really get it hard. Sorry Midori, your one side love end here. And, Kaoru should talk more often, and hippie cafe owner still the coolest mofo around.

mankoto

Wolf Girl Black Prince 4
Erika used every trick in the book to conform to Kyouya's ideals and it still didn't work. Not sure why she'd still bother, but hey, it's Christmas time.

Clov

It's rare now. I have a friend who has a bluray copy thankfully. Good luck finding one cheap or even normally priced.

I'm not even sure if Baccano's BD is worth tracking down. While it's not a bad upscale, it still is a upscale. In cases where the BD is just upscaled SD content, the DVD will usually suffice for me.

As for my opinion on the season so far:

Great:
Mushishi

Very Good:
Shirobako
Parasyte
Rage of Bahamut

Good:
Kokkuri-san
Fate/Stay Night
Chaika
SeHa Girls
Amagi Brilliant Park

Since I haven't picked up nearly as many anime as I normally would (since I'm busy with school) I've found that I'm not actually disliking anything I'm watching. Well, unless you count Sailor Moon Crystal from last season. It's still pretty boring overall.

Midonin

Girlfriend Beta 03

Erena and Fumio take the spotlight. Definitely the most laid-back show of the season. A simple story with a resolution that wavers between friendship and almost yuri, but sits in that space where it's entirely up to viewer interpretation. Not a lot of Chloe this week, but I'm satisfied with the one scene she did have.

Ping Pong 5:
Damn, that was rough viewing at the end. Sometimes you just can't overcome that wall of talent no matter how hard you work at it. And sometimes teamwork and camaraderie doesn't mean anything compared to putting the best players on the table. This show isn't interested in pulling any punches or showing a bunch of scrappy underdogs coming together. This was a really strong episode, although not nearly as well animated as the previous ones. I'm really not sure at all where the story is going to be going from here, but it seems the one thing I do know is that it won't just be a typical sports storyline.

Welcome to the NHK - 13

Jesus Effing Christ, that was a powerful episode.

The voice actors did some really good work on those breakdowns and screams.

cajunator

Banned
how far are you going to quote back , cajun ?

what i needed was exactly what episode 3 delivered.

Sorry I quoted that by mistake. It was quoted in pc memory I guess and I didnt erase it.
I think I meant to respond to it before and fell asleep prior and likely resumed posting from another device.

I doubt anyone here watches it, but if any of you keep up with Naruto, is there any watch plan that cuts the filler out and keeps the important stuff? Or is there too much filler to do that? I'd like to watch, but I'm not really interested in wacking hundreds of episodes right this minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom