• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

Twintail 3

The people who said that this was so stupid it's awesome were full of shit. It's just obnoxiously stupid.

Deeeeeeeeeeeropped.

Go_Ly_Dow

Parasyte
SAO
Fate/Stay
Shirobako
Amagi Park
Mushishi
Shingeki Bahamut

Either shows I am watching or definitely plan to watch.

Is there anything else I should pay attention too?

Parasyte 2

So not only does his left hand want to grope his lady friend, it wants to give him a boner. Dude is now far more likely to score with his lady friend the he ever was alone.

phaze

Serial Experiments Lain 8

tumblr_loa8s68rcy1qe0eclo1_r1_500.gif

Mindbending, powerful and downright scary at times.
First appearance of evil Lain creeped the shit out of me.

Akame ga Kill! Episode 17

You know I read the manga so I already knew what was coming. Yet I was still heartbroken to she her dead again. In fact her whole final moments scene was more touching to me in this anime than it was in the manga even though the manga made it feel like it lasted longer.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sora no Method Episode 4:

Okay, I have had it with all of the forced melodrama and artificial angst and now that this show has had its Final Fantasy 8 Orphanage moment, things have not improved. Dropped like a stone into a lake.

PK Gaming

Gugure! Kokkuri-san 4

Kokkuri-san, Kokkuri-san... why does this show have so few fans on animeGAF?

This was a pretty solid episode. We got a formal introduction to the Tanuki ghost, who's an ok character. (not as compelling as Kokkuri or Inugami, but still pretty good) The latter half of the episode was also enjoyable, though I wish they focused more on Kohina's day at school, rather than the Yamamato-kun gags (which were admittedly pretty funny).

That kid that looks like Asuka seems to have an interest in Kohina. Next week should be interesting.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I always do kind of forget that Log Horizon treats this like it's actually an MMORPG and doesn't just use that as an excuse to have modern day lingo in a fantasy environment. Guess that makes sense, still doesn't make it that compelling though.

I guess it would based on the viewers MMO experience. The moment she said she never joined any large raid I instantly realize her gear suck.

In any MMO, hitting max level is just the beginning of the game. Until they increase the level caps, the top equipment you can get from quests will never get updated. However, the game will keep releasing new raids periodically to keep players busy, and better equipment with each new releases. So naturally the gap between raider and non raider will get bigger and bigger.

Welcome to the NHK - 15

Really like Tatsuhiro's decent into gaming addiction, neglecting everything important as a result. The likelihood of that happening to a Hikikomori must be rather high. I also really appreciated the portrayal of the game world and how it feels to him, opposed to how it's actually like. The game also seems to be a darn game, something that SAO has yet to get right and that anime is all about futuristic MMOs for crying out loud.

Gugure! Kokkuri-san 04

Meh. This episode wasn't that great.
Mechazawa was a better joke then the alien kid.

Akame ga Kill! 17

This one is Dresden's favorite episode.
MERRY CHRISTMAS

Thoraxes

I also feel like I noticed in this episode more than in the previous ones just how nice so much of the show looked (although obviously it has always looked nice). The details on the various machines on the bridge and what not all look great, and the whole show just really looks incredible.
Yamato 2199 is such a brilliant show. I need to crack open those BDs.

The blurays have a nice enough bitrate that makes the art stand out really nicely. Really clean and crisp.

I always do kind of forget that Log Horizon treats this like it's actually an MMORPG and doesn't just use that as an excuse to have modern day lingo in a fantasy environment. Guess that makes sense, still doesn't make it that compelling though.
Just realised i said "elder scrolls" , instead of "elder tale" , man , too many franchises in my head.
You'd be surprised how well thought the log horizon -verse is crafted , many mmos don't even have the skillset this franchise has.

Akame Ga Kill 17

Those death flags were raised to high an in particular for
Chelsea her power was just too good, she pretty much had to get taken out for the story to not turn into she just cloaks and kills everyone
. I'm legit shook that they left the death scene uncensored after watching so many anime where even mild gore is covered in shadows to see a
head on a pike with blood dripping from it
was legit surprising.
So many death flags , impossible to see witch one is effective or not.
Twintail 3

The people who said that this was so stupid it's awesome were full of shit. It's just obnoxiously stupid.

Deeeeeeeeeeeropped.
Syrinx twintail power level : 0

:p

mankoto

Grasia no Kaijitsu 4
Michiru was the focus of this episode which was great.
This episode was all about death which is not...
RIP Meowmel

I guess it would based on the viewers MMO experience. The moment she said she never joined any large raid I instantly realize her gear suck.

In any MMO, hitting max level is just the beginning of the game. Until they increase the level caps, the top equipment you can get from quests will never get updated. However, the game will keep releasing new raids periodically to keep players busy, and better equipment with each new releases. So naturally the gap between raider and non raider will get bigger and bigger.
She's the type of max level person who get passed over for raids when it comes time to do it because you realize all her equips are shit that is purchased or player-made.

Kokkuri-san - 04

This cropped screencap is dedicated to cajun.

Seriously, Kohina got some of the best character design!

Episode was solid enough overall. I think I'm gonna stick with this show to the end. I'm really enjoying its soundtrack btw.

Welcome to the NHK - 15

Really like Tatsuhiro's decent into gaming addiction, neglecting everything important as a result. The likelihood of that happening to a Hikikomori must be rather high. I also really appreciated the portrayal of the game world and how it feels to him, opposed to how it's actually like. The game also seems to be a darn game, something that SAO has yet to get right and that anime is all about futuristic MMOs for crying out loud.

Loved this arc. WoW was basically my life years ago. MMOs are seriously one of, if not the biggest time waster someone can take part in.

Mr.Jeff

Yamato 2199 - 08
One thing that strikes me about this episode is how strong the trust the crew has towards the captain. I can only assume most of this is earned through reputation as, although they have been through a couple of scrapes thus far, it doesn't strike me as enough to pilot towards a star without questioning.

On the other hand, I have to applaud the leader of Gamilians(?) for his reaction to how events turned out. The sign of a powerful leader to retain that much poise.

Grisaia no kajitsu - 04

Damn

i thought this episode was funny , fun & all and then ...

I'm sad

I don't know why im sad , but i'm certainly sad....i wasn't ready for this ending ...

Thoraxes

Yamato 2199 - 08
One thing that strikes me about this episode is how strong the trust the crew has towards the captain. I can only assume most of this is earned through reputation as, although they have been through a couple of scrapes thus far, it doesn't strike me as enough to pilot towards a star without questioning.

On the other hand, I have to applaud the leader of Gamilians(?) for his reaction to how events turned out. The sign of a powerful leader to retain that much poise.

I think at your point they should've mentioned his past by now. No huge exposition dump, but at least mentioned in passing or something. There's good reason they trust him.

Mushishi S2 14

And in the distant future, you'll live with me again.

Get rekt other series, get fuckin' rekt. In the end, Mushishi is going to be again AOTY.

Fate / Stay Night UBW 3.

Uhh action! Impressive action! I like the new Berserker design, that little effect of "inner furnace" they gave them, the subtle red it moves or expands inside of him.

But you know, I'm going to repeat the same comment I did when I saw Fate / Zero.
The concept is ok but the execution is wrong. This shouldn't have been a normal story with a main character, a quest and some secondaries, this should have been better as a REAL choral story, without main character, with the point of view changing between all the Masters equally, each one with characterization and their own flashback episodes explaining from where they come from and who they really are, with the viewer/reader really not knowing who will be left standing at the end.

Necrovex

Welcome to the NHK - 15

Loved this arc. WoW was basically my life years ago. MMOs are seriously one of, if not the biggest time waster someone can take part in.

Being a former WoW addict, I appreciated and understood this arc all too well.

Get rekt other series, get fuckin' rekt. In the end, Mushishi is going to be again AOTY.

I doubt enough people are even watching Mushishi to have a shot at AOTY.

Mr.Jeff

I think at your point they should've mentioned his past by now. No huge exposition dump, but at least mentioned in passing or something. There's good reason they trust him.
Thus far they've mentioned that he was the Hero of the Second Battle of Mars I think? Other than that, it's just kinda been floated around that he's the best captain around.

Yamato 2199 - 9/10
I still have mixed feelings about ep 9 but it still rubs me the wrong way for some reason. It's a well executed episode but I still feel it was a little heavy on the metaphor of "Do synthetic androids with independant AIs have souls?" This especially crops up when the 2nd in command is having a philosophical discussion with the chief of security in the middle of a tense moment.
That and Au09's voice really grates on me. It's the little things.

Ep 10 (broken past my original barrier yay) and the crew finally encounters the enemy proper. It does raise a large number of questions about the origins of the Gamillans (of 1st and 2nd class) but I wonder if those will ever be explored.

One last point, these episodes seem to go really fast in terms of pacing. I wonder if I'm just too used to the traditional format of dragging 5 minute long fights out for half a century.

The Devil Is a Part Timer 6-13 [END]

Super fun and entertaining as hell show. I say this way too often but I hope for another season even though we may never get it. :(

But yeah, the characters were funny and the action was great (when they had it). I would definitely recommend this show to anyone who is just looking for an anime with great comedy and characters that play well off each other.

Disclaimer: I watched the English dub and thoroughly enjoyed it because I love the people they used. They had a lot of people who played in Baka & Test in the cast so you know it was going to be a good time! I am not sure how the Japanese VO's are but the English cast is more than up to the task to make you laugh your socks off.

Edit: Yeah.....

Aikatsu - 11
One of the most boring episode of idol television i've seen in 2014.

I'm actually surprised it was this boring.
Even aikatsu can't do something intresting with cure lemonade i guess.

Finalow

Mushishi S2 14

to be honest I wasn't expecting
a time loop
in a Mushishi episode. it wasn't anything particularly interesting but still an ok episode. some good visuals as always. we don't see much of Ginko besides the usual explanation, also I didn't like too much the ending.

Fate/Stay Night -Unlimited Blade Works- 2

No fighting? What a rip. I guess we needed another episode to explain to Shirou what was explained to us in Episode Zero. :/

That guy is still around.

I guess the next episode is gonna have all the fun battles. :)

Aikatsu - 12

Big event coming up ? NO problem let's go chop a real gigantic tree on a snowy moutain , that's like totally ok !!

Despite the sheer stupidity of everything that happenned in this episode , it was alright , felt like a regular episode with the over the top , the morale and the good feeligns ...our heroine is basicly , telling us that goodwill is ok withoout reservation regardless of what's happenning , as long as you work hard.

It was an alright fairy tale for a christmas episode... the music was cool , too , so was the choegraphy ...

I liked it.

I guess i can tolerate the 4th girl in the team , as long as teh story isn't focused on her.... that's a good start i guess.

Mr.Jeff

Yamato 2199 - 11
And so we come to the nasty heart of it:
It's revealed that Earth shot first on the Gamillans.
As a decision though, this is really odd. For ships approaching from outside the Solar System, the immediate thought would be that they would have to be more advanced or previously signals from any nearby stars systems would have reached them.

Why then was the first instinct to a power which is most likely to be technologically superior to attack them, especially when there was more than one ship?
Even if it was a callous attempt to provide a unifying enemy for Earth, Mars and whatever other colonies there may be, to do so against a stronger opponent is laughable

Maybe I'm overthinking this.
Also that nagging spoiler about later in the series is really bugging me.

Thoraxes

Thus far they've mentioned that he was the Hero of the Second Battle of Mars I think? Other than that, it's just kinda been floated around that he's the best captain around.

Yamato 2199 - 9/10
I still have mixed feelings about ep 9 but it still rubs me the wrong way for some reason. It's a well executed episode but I still feel it was a little heavy on the metaphor of "Do synthetic androids with independant AIs have souls?" This especially crops up when the 2nd in command is having a philosophical discussion with the chief of security in the middle of a tense moment.
That and Au09's voice really grates on me. It's the little things.

Ep 10 (broken past my original barrier yay) and the crew finally encounters the enemy proper. It does raise a large number of questions about the origins of the Gamillans (of 1st and 2nd class) but I wonder if those will ever be explored.

One last point, these episodes seem to go really fast in terms of pacing. I wonder if I'm just too used to the traditional format of dragging 5 minute long fights out for half a century.

Idk if they mentioned the details, so i've spoilered it for you just in case you wanted to read the explanation.

It's what he did in that battle is why they trust his strategic capabilities. He drove back
a Gamilias assault and forced them to turn to a long-range strategy. He basically bought humanity a shitload of time to not go extinct and to be able to enact the Yamato plan. Without him humanity
would've been dead a long time ago. A strategic genius with a huge set of balls.

Cross Game 1-50 END

Great anime. Highly recommended -- and I think the anime is better than the manga. It's a romance, drama, high school baseball anime. There are only a few baseball games shown throughout the anime though. The real focus of this show is on the two main characters: Kou, a boy was the closest friend and eventually boyfriend of Wakaba since birth -- as they have the same birthday -- until her death in grade 5 and Wakaba's younger sister Aoba, a baseball loving tomboy who has an intense hatred for Kou because her sister spent too much time with him. It is the love hate relationship between the two and their memories of Wakaba that makes the development between these two so engaging. There are lots of sad moments and you can't help but cheer for the baseball to rise to the top ranks and reach Koshien. No baseball knowledge needed. Compared to this artist's other works this is much more modern and recent as well.

Inou battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de - 03

Bible != Vivre
I mean , i know that the B and V and similar the same way l & r are similar , but for god sake ... for someone able to master so many difficult characters , you'd think he would at least check
Inou%20Battle%20wa%20Nichijou-kei%20no%20Naka%20de%20-%2003.jpg

now that's a chuuni i can get behind
Anyway , the cast goes up by adding 3 more characters to the mix , they were all good .. this is more enjoyable than anything the chuuni anime by kyoani tried in 2 seasons already. The scene with the 4 girls actually was well done in the sense that they have used it to properly delimit what the girls can and can't do . i liked this subtle touch.

Syrinx

Shirobako 1

Huh, this show seems pretty cool. Anime about anime ends up working. How the team has to overcome one person's screw-ups, how they have to balance time between episodes, everything. Will take some time to get familiar with all of the characters though.

One day, Aoi's gonna get arrested for her reckless driving. Seeing everybody try to overcome that would make for a pretty great episode.

It bothers me that Hulu seems to have the best selection after Crunchyroll. Lot of stuff on there I want to watch but I don't want to deal with ads.

Midonin

Hulu does make up a good portion of my backlog shows, but some of it is dub only, which means I have to get it elsewhere. Though that's not a terrible thing, since it also means no ads and a physical copy of said shows.

Log Horizon 4

A pretty boring episode after coming off of 3. This episode shows us the status of the city and the main characters residing there but I thought the whole ep dedicated to it was a bit too much. The preview for next ep looks good though -- combined with what was shown at the beg of ep 1. Akatsuki is my fav character in the show but I feel her moping feels a bit forced in the writing.

Kvik

Speaking of streaming providers, I would pay good money for a Funimation PS4 App. For some reason the web browser on my PS4 can't seem to remember my password. :-\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom