• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mushishi 04

WD7yjd5.png

There is a haunting beauty within the music. Each scene is composed amazingly.

This episode went pretty dark. When a blessing becomes a curse the dreamer becomes nightmare incarnate.

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis 3

Nice to see some backstory on Kaiser. Ending was kind of what the hell. Things just happened and ended. So I guess the little girl just invited people to the town and then had them killed to add to her zombie collection?

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis 4

Another fantastic episode. Loved everything about this. Good humor, great action, GIANT ENEMY CRABS. Shit. Ending was great too. Favaro and zombie loli will be a fun pair to follow. Loving this show.

So a few weeks into the season, I'm surprised that most of the shows I picked up are pretty enjoyable. My list:

Look forward to every week

Gundam G-Reco CHUCHUMMYYYYY
Bahamut
Fate/Stay Night UBW
Chaika S2
Akame Ga Kill

Enjoyable

Amagi Brilliant Park
Shirobako
Your Lie in April
Gundam Build Fighters Try
Akatsuki no Yona
Yuki Yona is a hero

Bored / When I need something to watch

Denki Gai
Sword Art Online II

Possibly Dropping / Dropped

Celestial Method
Inou Battle
Wolf Girl Black Prince

No ShiroBako?

Whoops forgot to add it

Ojamajo Doremi -30

This was a really sad and at the same time a quite touching episode. You really don't see these kind of stories in children's TV shows nowadays. I got really choked up when
Yamauchi was saying good bye to his grandfather's ghost, finally being able to move on having fulfilled his promise to his grandson.

Lurky

So a few weeks into the season, I'm surprised that most of the shows I picked up are pretty enjoyable. My list:

Look forward to every week

Gundam G-Reco CHUCHUMMYYYYY
Bahamut
Fate/Stay Night UBW
Chaika S2
Akame Ga Kill

Enjoyable

Amagi Brilliant Park
Shirobako
Your Lie in April
Gundam Build Fighters Try
Akatsuki no Yona
Yuki Yona is a hero

Bored / When I need something to watch

Denki Gai
Sword Art Online II

Possibly Dropping / Dropped

Celestial Method
Inou Battle
Wolf Girl Black Prince

Are you seriously going to wait till you're bored to watch denki gai? It's probably the funniest show this season aside from SAO.

Inou Battle-4

This was a ridiculously stupid episode and not in a positive way. Hey guys, did you ever want an entire episode based around cnet? Well congratulations, pedophile jokes are now on the table. Andou's speech wasn't funny, that's exactly the type of shit that gets you in jail or expelled. The entire episode just felt like a bunch of cnet jokes. Chifuyu was adorably rapey.

The drama in this felt really annoying especially the part on the stairs. The side characters really do have a legitimate point about loli hanging out with teenagers and the way that this is resolved in the episode felt idiotic.

The visuals looked pretty weird this episode. There were parts that were really fluid but most of the episode felt like it was off-model. There were some definitely some scenes where they were showing that classic Inferno Cop budget.

I did like the Risky Business reference though.

it's like you missed the point of the episode .. or the fact that he went for the lie and misunderstanding on purpose to protect everyone secrets. He took the blame on purpose since he was in that weird situation the day before.
heck it wasn't even a joke. the fact that no one in the rest of the cast isn't even creeped out is because they all understood why he did it.

Talk about making a fuss over nothing

Lurky

I thought it would be more like Working!!. Its not a bad show but I dont really love it either.

That's fair enough. The jokes don't appeal to everyone. It's still probably my favorite show this season. But then again I'm watching way less things than I anticipated.

Edit: I totally forgot about Twintails which actually means that it's my second favorite show this season. >_>

mdubs

Banned
This is a really fun show. Good lord that last 2 minutes where the magical girls appeared on the table had me dying, sheer perfection.

Jarmel

Banned
it's like you missed the point of the episode .. or the fact that he went for the lie and misunderstanding on purpose to protect everyone secrets. He took the blame on purpose since he was in that weird situation the day before.
heck it wasn't even a joke. the fact that no one in the rest of the cast isn't even creeped out is because they all understood why he did it.

Talk about making a fuss over nothing

I understand he did that on purpose, doesn't make it any less dumb. If you told a kid that you were a pedophile and you were playing around with her best friend, you will end up in jail. No question about it. It was an absolutely stupid solution. Add that on top of all the cnet jokes in the episode like Chifuyu saying "Oh Andou you have such a strong, warm back", Andou flashing a kid, or Chifuyu in bondage. So you'll have to excuse me if I didn't find an entire episode dedicated to lolicon pandering jokes to be funny.

Just because everybody doesn't care doesn't make it any less dumb. In addition to it being a stupid solution, it didn't even address the big issue of the episode, in that Chifuyu should be around kids her age moreoften. They just brush it off but it's an actual and valid concern.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yamato 2199 - 11
And so we come to the nasty heart of it:
It's revealed that Earth shot first on the Gamillans.
As a decision though, this is really odd. For ships approaching from outside the Solar System, the immediate thought would be that they would have to be more advanced or previously signals from any nearby stars systems would have reached them.

Why then was the first instinct to a power which is most likely to be technologically superior to attack them, especially when there was more than one ship?
Even if it was a callous attempt to provide a unifying enemy for Earth, Mars and whatever other colonies there may be, to do so against a stronger opponent is laughable

Maybe I'm overthinking this.
Also that nagging spoiler about later in the series is really bugging me.

I'm like a billion pages behind, but I swear this is a Star Trek plot in terms of misunderstanding first contact with a military force.

Either way, I'm assuming that this is actually a WW2 parable (which, given the fact that they wring their hands about using a "nuke", isn't that much of a stretch) for the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Rage of Bahamut: Genesis Episode 4

Kudos to the show here for finding a fresh match-up, zombies vs. lizardmen, I have never seen this encounter before. That being said, I really didn't care for Captain Barbossa, he kind of needed to be a mini-arc to have any sort of real emotional impact but whatever shit has hit the fan and maybe it can make Kaiser interesting. Honestly, his Inspector Zenigata gimmick has grown wearisome.

I understand he did that on purpose, doesn't make it any less dumb. If you told a kid that you were a pedophile and you were playing around with her best friend, you will end up in jail. No question about it.
yeah it's dumb , yeah it's not a solution at all ... that's what the character does since ep 1 ... he has no solution to anything and power up through any problem without moving away from his delusions.
The show is using dumb things since the start.
It was an absolutely stupid solution. Add that on top of all the cnet jokes in the episode like Chifuyu saying "Oh Andou you have such a strong, warm back", Andou flashing a kid, or Chifuyu in bondage. So you'll have to excuse me if I didn't find an entire episode dedicated to lolicon pandering jokes to be funny.
what jokes ? this wasn't a joke .this was one character that praised another in order to get what she wants. And it worked .. that's it.
They even used the fake slip of the words in order to show that this wasn't an innocent girl talking but a manipulative girl
Just because everybody doesn't care doesn't make it any less dumb. In addition to it being a stupid solution, it didn't even address the big issue of the episode, in that Chifuyu should be around kids her age moreoften. They just brush it off but it's an actual and valid concern.
I think you're missing the point of the show .. it's not there to treat of those questions in a serious way ..they don't even attempt to. The only thing that matters is that 2 friends in school fought and they then restored their friendship. If you're spending so much time animating a cosplay party , that says what you need to know about the episode goal.

Flowers of Evil 8:
That was really something. The long scenes of them walking without any real dialogue were quite effective. The show did a great job at conveying the general atmosphere of the town late at night (and how gorgeous does all of the art look here?) and the state of mind of both Kasuga and Nakamura as they walk along and contemplate what they've done. The viewer can't really help but to think about all of that, too, and wonder how it will play out. It's almost all anticipation, but the eventual release is worth it.

And then society as middle school aged shits know it collapses. Saeki's personal plight in all of this is lost by the rest of the class aside from her friends, as everyone freaks out and speculates about the pervert and wonders about reporters coming, and the rest of the school starts going mad. The victim is no longer relevant, and now they're just watching the train wreck and getting excited about it.

Flowers of Evil 8:
That was really something. The long scenes of them walking without any real dialogue were quite effective. The show did a great job at conveying the general atmosphere of the town late at night (and how gorgeous does all of the art look here?) and the state of mind of both Kasuga and Nakamura as they walk along and contemplate what they've done. The viewer can't really help but to think about all of that, too, and wonder how it will play out. It's almost all anticipation, but the eventual release is worth it.

I love these long, reflective scenes with the main characters just walking and reflecting to meditative music. The whole atmosphere combines to put me in an altered state of mind. I really like when film/TV isn't afraid to have a long stretch without dialogue.

Gazoinks

Baccano! 1 (Rewatch)
This makes so much more sense on rewatch!

I really, really love this show. It was like 80% responsible for getting me into anime.

Flowers of Evil 8:

You got here! Yeah, the loooong walking scene in this episode was really striking. That + the end of ep 7 was probably my favorite anime moment of last year.

Narag

Hyouge Mono 01

I knew two things about this show before starting this, that it's about the Warring States period and tea. The first episode lives up to both of those spectacularly.

One day I'll get back to this. It's kinda dry and I think that's why I drifted away from it.

I love these long, reflective scenes with the main characters just walking and reflecting to meditative music. The whole atmosphere combines to put me in an altered state of mind. I really like when film/TV isn't afraid to have a long stretch without dialogue.

Yeah, it was the same for me. My mind was really going everywhere during that scene. The music really sold it, as well as the direction basically keeping them moving through the town at a set pace. It was a really striking moment, and I'm glad that they had the courage to do such a long scene with almost no dialogue.

You got here! Yeah, the loooong walking scene in this episode was really striking. That + the end of ep 7 was probably my favorite anime moment of last year.

I can see why. It's a really incredible moment. I think it works especially well to go straight from the end of the previous episode into a long scene of them walking and silently contemplating all of the implications.

Shouta

So, I've been watching the Nanatsu no Taizai anime and holy shit the VAing in it is killing me. Meliodas and Elizabeth are ok but Diane, Gilthunder, and Hawk are either way off from what I was expecting or the voice director is fucking up with them, oof.

Not many other complaints otherwise though, animation is solid and the extra bits they've added out to pad the episodes is pretty decent.

Amagi Brilliant Park 2

Well then, seems this magic thing really is legit. Cool.

Amagi Brilliant Park 3

Well that was a bunch of fan service. Not that I'm complaining, though,
aside from Latifa. I really dislike young looking chicks in scantily clad outfits.
Anyway, protag seems to be pretty good at running the park so far. I genuinely hope he can turn things around as I'm really liking all the characters.

Amagi Brilliant Park 4

That was such a good "team effort" episode. I'm really glad I decided to watch this series.

Jex

Shingeki no Bahamut 3

Welp. I knew something was up with that town, but I wasn't expecting it to become
The Walking Dead. Poor Rita :( and Prince Dandy

Er, sounds like you aren't watching the ends of the episodes. This is an error on your part!

Soma

So, I've been watching the Nanatsu no Taizai anime and holy shit the VAing in it is killing me. Meliodas and Elizabeth are ok but Diane, Gilthunder, and Hawk are either way off from what I was expecting or the voice director is fucking up with them, oof.

Not many other complaints otherwise though, animation is solid and the extra bits they've added out to pad the episodes is pretty decent.

Haven't kept up with the anime but I'm curious as to how Ban's VA will sound.

He always has this distinct way of speaking in the manga.

Rhapsody

Banned
Inou Battle 4

I'm strangely getting used to this anime. Also more scenes where you can see Trigger's art style show through at times.

Episode 4 didn't have a lot dealing with powers getting in the way, so it was somewhat interesting.

Jex

They seem to just know these moves out of nowhere. There's no rhyme or reason to how the fights work in this anime apart from constantly aiming for the nose on bears for some reason.

I don't think that's quite true. The general idea seems to be that many different dogs have different fighting styles, but Gin himself only needs to see their move once and he can copy if perfectly. Therefore you see him attack a bear like Riki, judo-throw like John, or disappear like a Iga-ninja dog.

Just caught up on World Trigger, really tempted to make this my 7th dropped anime ever (out of watching 450ish). I'll give episode 4 next week one last chance before I'm done with it.

Jex

[Bahamut] - 4

This was pretty good, but I think there was something slightly off in the pacing of the final action scene. It feels like the editing was slightly too...sluggish?

Finally, whoever pointed out that sound issues, I hate you. Now I cannot un-hear how quiet everything sounds.

Mike Tyson Mysteries 1

It was ok. Venture Bros. didn't produce gold during its first couple of episodes either so I won't judge too early. It's probably a good thing that it is a 15 minute format show. The delivery of the lines felt... dry.

Branduil

[Bahamut] - 4

This was pretty good, but I think there was something slightly off in the pacing of the final action scene. It feels like the editing was slightly too...sluggish?

Finally, whoever pointed out that sound issues, I hate you. Now I cannot un-hear how quiet everything sounds.

It was hard not to notice the stealth ship collision. Maybe still less noticeable than Funimation's awful encoding, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom