• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

They're fine, I just didn't need so many chapters devoted to them. :p

Come to think of it the anime can shrink down the manga a lot. The chapters in the current arc can get suuuuper drawn out.

unless their goal is to burn through the manga quickly (which seems unlikely given it's publisher and popularity) I imagine they will continue to be quite drawn out if/when they get animated.

also, as someone who is reading hajime no ippo I can not agree with your accessment of the chapters being suuuuper drawn out... at best they are slightly drawn out, but at least something happens.... ippo has chapters with literally a single punch being thrown, or him just sitting on a hill thinking about his fight @_@

In general I am torn on what type of adaption I want though. I am really enjoying Soma, so a more standard shounen adapation that doesn't burn through the manga and provides a lot of episodes could be fun... but at the same time... if they pad to much it could ruin the series so a more to the point series could be more enjoyable even if it means the wait between seasons is a lot longer.

JCG

This "sort of post" is the result of a simple google search that took less than 2 sec ( 0.000124sec according to google , i'll be precise now)
So , the consequence and interpretations of this post is the mainly result of people reading it. ( And of course hoping that people saw that there was a link in it )
Hopefully , with shirobako airing , everyone realise that anime isn't made by ONE guy

Your point about Shirobako is fair and completely correct. I'm not questioning your use of Google either, but just how you picked the titles he worked on out of a hat, without stopping to think how important or unimportant his writing was in each case.

That would be like if someone blamed Gen Urobuchi for the writing problems of Aldnoah/Zero when the man only wrote the first three episodes (which, naturally, can be more than fairly criticized in their own right) and didn't do the series composition. I guess the Wiki page might be confusing, since "screenplay" credits don't specify how many episodes he wrote. But it doesn't take much longer than a few seconds to cross check the Wikipedia page with, say, ANN's listing for the guy.

Your point about Shirobako is completely correct. I'm not questioning your use of Google either, but just how you picked the titles he worked on out of a hat, without stopping to think how important or unimportant his writing was in each case.

That would be like if someone blamed Gen Urobuchi for the writing problems of Aldnoah/Zero when the man only wrote the first three episodes (which, naturally, can be more than fairly criticized in their own right) and didn't do the series composition. I guess the Wiki page might be confusing, since "screenplay" credits don't specify how many episodes he wrote. But it doesn't take much longer than a few seconds to cross check the Wikipedia page with, say, ANN's listing for the guy.

WHAT ? cross checking ? something that last more than a second ? too long /s
Yeah i shouldn't have picked titles in my post that was " is it this guy you're talking about ?"

But fair enough , this was a mistake on my part but i'm unsure checking those facts is everyone first action in this situation.

cajunator

Banned
anyone know any off the wall anime comedy like Ghost stories? the dialogue was so stupid i died laughing. you could tell the voice actors had fun with the lines lol

GOldenBoy is the most obvious.
Some other comedies I liked were Excel Saga, Galaxy Angel, Detroit Metal City and Miami Guns

Sword Art Online II Episode 13

6SmxUXx.png

ReCqtbT.png

LMAO. Sinons life fucking sucks. I know I shouldnt be laughing at an attempted rape/murder scene but its just so damn crazy and ridiculous I burst into laughter. If only I could have watched the voice recording in person. Thirsty-kun being a creepo was completely obvious since episode 1. All the villains are sex starved psychopaths.

Kirito's Falcon Kick to Thirsty-Kun's face was super satisfying though. Besto Husbando saves the day yet again. I love how he just ditched Asuna at the hospital to come to Sinons rescue.

"W-welcome back, Kirito Kun! Yui and I were so wo--"
"Fuck out my way I'm out peace"

Gotta say that suicide grendade scene was adorable. Sinons little squeal/giggle before the grenade went off was extremely cute. The fight with Desu gun was a let down however, and his motivation was even more so. This noob should have read the GAF thread on the best way to level their character. Its not that serious.

And I thought all the LC members were in prison? So many plot holes.

Yeah her personal life is pretty fucked but I agree about that scene with the grenade. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ADORABLE.
Shinon is a goddess (as expected of a Miyukichi role).

Yuki Yuna is hero 3
New girl come. I don't know why, but i feel like the new girl just raise a death flag...

I think youre right. Theres an incredible sense of dread I feel watching this. Its all gonna go to shit soon and cuties will die. Probably horribly.

Selector Spread Wixoss - 01

SUFFERING , TEARS , SUFFERING
FALSE HOPE

yep it's WIXOSS alright !

Genki girl should really buy a brain because she is just running on adrenaline.

"listen , if you battle , your wish is going to be tainted , you're going to lose everything , including your body and you'll be trapped , and that's if you lose . If you win it's worse.!!"

- "oh it's just like in the manga , let's battle !!"

//FACEPALM
Even the LRIG is surprised by how dumb she is...

This episode had just the right amount of suffering , i guess the next one is going to be harsher, can't wait.

here it is , in full glory :

1414433299386.gif

Was this written by Mari Okada?

Selector Spread Wixoss - 03

TEARS , CRYING , SORROW , LOST HOPES , DESPAIR ...that ending was just too gold.

i mean it was good.
That friendship scene , only for it to be crushed less than 3 minutes later .... SO_GOOD.gif
Even the LRIG are crying now ... the despair spiral ain't stopping !!!!!

Yup. It definitely seems that way!

cajunator

Banned
Geno is very entertaining to watch.

His talent can be measured in Fractales.

I have no idea whats going on anymore.

Just sportsgaf in-jokes

Inou Battle-4

This was a ridiculously stupid episode and not in a positive way. Hey guys, did you ever want an entire episode based around cnet? Well congratulations, pedophile jokes are now on the table. Andou's speech wasn't funny, that's exactly the type of shit that gets you in jail or expelled. The entire episode just felt like a bunch of cnet jokes. Chifuyu was adorably rapey.

The drama in this felt really annoying especially the part on the stairs. The side characters really do have a legitimate point about loli hanging out with teenagers and the way that this is resolved in the episode felt idiotic.

The visuals looked pretty weird this episode. There were parts that were really fluid but most of the episode felt like it was off-model. There were some definitely some scenes where they were showing that classic Inferno Cop budget.

I did like the Risky Business reference though.

I agree it was very akward but I think Denki Gai's second episode might be just as :cnet

Sakasama no Patema
This was great. I could have done without the hammy main villain, but I really enjoyed the other characters. Considering how understated the "romance" aspect of the movie was, it was a bit odd to have such a blatantly one-dimensional villain.

Most of the themes and messages were fairly par for the course, but the use of "inversion" made the film feel fresh. The visuals are stunning and really bring out the "exploratory" nature of the show when paired with a really good OST. Patema's innocent curiosity even got old cynical me to grin like a fool.

Even better yet, it was nice to have a more serious change of pace from the usual fanservice that can disrupt the tone of movies.

I actually wish it had been maybe an extra 30 minutes to flesh out the narrative. But overall, I really enjoyed it a lot.

I want to watch this soooooo badly but I have no way to do it.

Code Geass 12

twcMdUj.gif

Where I finally learn what Table-kun is

Classic episode. You might never forget!
Also this isnt Code GEass' crowning glory. Oh no not by a long shot!

Ojamajo Doremi - 31

Pretty eh episode. Not much happened other than the girls passing the Level 5 exam. Only four more to go.

I did like the fact that the magical stage didn't work this time around because the girls bit off more than they could chew. So it was pretty interesting to see them using their brains instead of their magic by the end of this episode, at least.

Trinity seven - 04
i really enjoy trinity seven ( the manga ) and this adaptation is following the manga story properly but i can't shake the feelign that it could have been so much better.
Hopefully this is just the weakness of the first part ( that ended with this episode ) and the proper fun can start.

The Mc is fine and sometimes self - aware , the "harem" is good and the story is not that bad

I finally paid attention to the ending song .. it's not bad .. i like it .

PS : the specters monsters were horrible... you need to change this ASAP. The dragon was alright even if the fight lacked " sound effects".

PS(bis) : just realised that trinity seven is at his best when it's not taking itself seriously , yep the best course of action is to quickly go toward the more entertaining arcs.

Flowers of Evil 9:
Well, I guess some people are just into that. I really wasn't expecting that, but it makes things more interesting.
We've already seen in the previous episodes how a lot of Kasuga's issues have come from him trying to hold up an idealized and pure version of Saeki in his heart, so having him find out that she's actually turned on by what he did with her clothes is a real shock to him.
Everything is up in the air now, and it's all got to come crashing out into the open.

This episode also had a lot of lengthy cuts, as we would sometimes have long scenes of characters walking, sitting still, moving slowly, or just sitting there thinking. It's an effective way of letting the moments breathe and giving more weight to each subsequent moment. The music also contributes to this sort of atmosphere, and the town overall looks even drearier in this episode than it had in previous ones.

Future Diary 04

This religious cult is bizarre. After hypnosis ends none of them are even phased by the slaughter before their eyes. I had to laugh when that guy threw gasoline on the fire to put it out.

And this masked guy is all sorts of hilarious. A warrior of justice indeed.

cajunator

Banned

Im still astounded by that scene every time I see it. Like why is it even there?

A convicted rapist saving anime. Huh.

Fitting isnt it?

AWESOMEBears are the shit.

fixed

Nisemonogatari episode 8.
How in the fuck? Brushing my teeth has been forever changed.

Legendary episode. One of the greatest scenes in anime history.

Bahamut 04

Pirates, fishmen, zombies and GIANT ENEMY CRAB all make for a good episode. Actually got a lot of info dumped in this episode about Kaiser and Favaro's pasts and it did a lot to explain why their relationship is the way it is. It also brought up the intriguing question about who Amira's father is which I'm sure will be some kind of stunning revelation. Also nice to see Rita being super useful as well.

Well...I need to watch Bahamut now.

I don't own a console, all my gaming is on PC, don't have an optical drive in my PC, and don't have a standalone DVD/Blu-Ray player. About 2-3 years ago I went through my movie collection and (which wasn't terribly big, maybe 100ish movies) scanned them into Amazon's website and shipped the off. All my music CDs I just trashed since they probably weren't worth anything anyhow.

I'm actually learning Japanese at my local community college and some of our homework requires listening to an audio CD. I have to do that homework in my car since that's the only thing I own that can play a CD.

I admire that kind of simplicity but the collector in me is horrified by the thought.
Owning things digitally really feels like you dont own it at all.

And gonna continue Welcome to the NHK but gotta type this down before it gets revealed: The online female cat character Mia just has got to be a dude IRL. Already looking forward the glorious realization.

Heheee.....

Welcome to the NHK - 16

The good run continues, this time around with especially strong imagery.

It's by now abundantly clear that the creators of this anime actually know a bunch about the life of a NEET etc. I really appreciate this show actually pointing out how hard making money in online games can be, especially for someone like Tatsuhiro. Kaoru even specifically mentions the lack of programming skills, which is darn true, considering that bots are the best way to go usually.

Misaki's counter-measures felt a bit questionable to me but it's not necessarily out of character I suppose. Great episode overall.

BEST EPISODE. MISAKINEKO JUSTICE

Aikatsu - 19

welll

As it turns , there was a vampire on school grounds all along !
Her backstory makes no sense what so ever , but i'll give 10/10 for the effort. After all everyone knows that when you are in this phase , the backstory is really important.
It's just too bad her shell was broken that easily. she should had cameos earlier so that the reveal had more impact ...

Clearly a missed opportunity .

Chuuni is the best. Im not sure why it took so long in anime to become a thing but Im glad it is.

BASED SHAFT STUDIO

Im not sure why this video exists but Im kind of glad.

Future Diary 05

Go go power rangers. Or something... There is so much wrong with this. We have the incredibly idiotic twelfth performing theatrics befitting of some really corny kids shows. Then we have this...

What. The. Fuck.

No, this is not alright. This plot is completely nonsensical and the themes of
rape, specifically gang rape
are handled so poorly I am appalled beyond words. The way they resolve this is also handled really fucking badly.

I want to drop this... I'm more angry at this than I was with elfen lied. Fuck this show.

manfestival

I finished watching Noragami the other day. Great concept , great characters, interesting story, and nice animation. I did enjoy the show quite a bit. 8.8/10

I just finished watching Aldnoah.Zero. I absolutely loved it. The only thing that I didn't like isn't exactly the shows fault but just more of the state of modern mech anime is the fact that all the mechs were 3d and not 2d. Otherwise, the story was great and the ending left me pretty satisfied. 9/10

Now to watch some more shows recommended to me. I did drop Pupa as I was told to do. I will probably proceed with watching Buddy Complex and Log Horizon. I will also watch Eureka 7 as I have been told for forever to watch that. I did watch Xam'd some time back and I liked it. Akatsuki no yona is ok so far, parasyte seems to be great, shingeki no bahamut is fun and good from what I have seen.

cajunator

Banned
I remember reading a bunch of bad stuff about this on reddit, and there's a link in the YouTube comments as well.

http://mytraveltales.com/2008/11/13/update-on-polar-bears-and-dogs/

:/

edit:

Welcome to the NHK 17

Pyramid-schemes now huh? I was actually quite glad that Tatsuhiro didn't fall for it...that is until he then did fall for it after his former class rep managed to convince him...with weak ass arguments. Eh, I disliked the ending of this episode. I don't oppose the idea of him falling to a pyramid-scheme as he's really be part of the prime target audience, but don't shoehorn it in so badly :/

I really liked this arc of the show. Those scams are pretty notorious and they catch people off guard a lot. Interesting to see how they can ruin a life, further compounded by the dependence of a hikikomori. Truly distressing but fascinating.

Someday's Dreamers Sora 04-06

The stories are feeling a lot more melancholic and personal here. The filtered backgrounds are still an odd choice, but I see why they were chosen. It lends a sense of grounding to the proceedings. Like Yume before her, Sora's crisis of confidence is coming into play, though Gouta's not getting off easy, either. There's not that much music in scenes, and the school scenes feel as much like a workplace as they do one of education. This franchise is unique, quite so.

Trinity Seven 04

Dungeons and dragons and magical guns. There's been multiple stories out there with demon king candidates, and I like that in this one, the girls are just as important, if not more important, to the story as Arata. The magic system is interesting, and it's got enough metahumor that it makes for a relatively easy watch. I like the new ED, too.

Someday's Dreamers does have a really melancholic airy feel to it but its an atmosphere that works really well for that dreamy magical world. I think season two was a bit less of that feel but still there.

It's happening GAF! Sailor Moon Set 1 has arrived at Rightstuf and will be shipping out! Glorious day!

*Break dances*

YESSSSSSSS
Been waiting so so so long!

Sunset Overdrive has some of the most anime combination of clothing I have ever seen in a western game lol

I REALLY want to play this game.

Welcome to the NHK - 18-24 [Finished]

Damn, how did this turn out to be so good in the end. After occasionally reading some snippets here and there I was already afraid this was gonna end on a way more depressive note but alas the ending is the slightest bit uplifting.

The show depressed me quite a bit so I'm not in the mood to write down a lot, but here goes some.

A bunch of episodes in I was considering dropping the show because the ero game development angle felt stupid and took up a lot of time, so that I even skipped these scenes at times. However from like episode 11 onwards the show gained more and more traction.

The main characters have very, very good characterization and even the side characters feel rather well fleshed out. I'm particularly impressed by just how much our MC Tatsuhiro is a representative of a well done flawed character. This guy isn't some benevolent guy put into a crappy situation due to outside factors. No. He himself is actually quite flawed and pretty much the sole reason everything's going so darn bad.
At the same time though his flaws seem still perfectly natural and believable. I want to scream at him but at the same time empathize with his struggles. He also isn't just hurting himself but the people around him and it was especially heartbreaking to see him being incapable of seeing Misaki's own severe misery and actually try to be a useful friend/helper to her as well.

Speaking of Misaki, a great example of how you do "mystery". There isn't much teasing about her background story throughout the show. It's clear that it's of importance and its acknowledged by the Tatsuhiro that he doesn't know anything about her, but it's not like we get a short flashback of an obviously very tragic moment in her life every episode. Instead we slowly get an idea what's going on with her and closer towards the end we finally get the full picture. A picture that provides us with perfectly reasonable motivations for all her actions.

I'm also really impressed by just how well the narrative came together later on.

PS:
I know there've been quite a few others posting their thoughts on this show lately but I had to skip those comments to avoid spoilers. So if any of you could link those posts of yours again for me that would be highly appreciated!

Misaki in the anime is a real sweetheart. Aside from being completely adorable shes the perfect kind of girl next door type. She does have a fucked up past (and present) and the way the show approached that and ended was surprising but not as depressing as I feared it would be. But clearly both characters have some serious problems to overcome. Together they very well could do it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
just to be sure , you ghuys are talking about this guy , right ?

Xenoglossia , code geass R2 , darker than black 2, fractale , dance in vampire bund , guilty crown

Damn what a list
Well Xenoglossia is pretty much the greatest show ever written so this guy is alright in my book.

You know, I thought that way until I saw Log Horizon S2. That's really changed my perspective.

The plot presented in S2 at least right now, is pretty weak, and I think it would still be pretty weak if they didn't change any of the staff. We don't know if really it would be that much better with the old staff.

fertygo

K-ON!! - 04

So I suddenly in mood and grown more affinity to these kind of show for get back to this , finished the first season too.. Yeah this such a significant upgrade from the first season, the comedy is funnier and the writing felt much more organic.

The OP still the worst thing ever though, even leaving the tragic opening song alone.. the visual is fucking offending my eyes.. who the hell think the roulete is good idea?

Necrovex

Misaki in the anime is a real sweetheart. Aside from being completely adorable shes the perfect kind of girl next door type. She does have a fucked up past (and present) and the way the show approached that and ended was surprising but not as depressing as I feared it would be. But clearly both characters have some serious problems to overcome. Together they very well could do it.

Misaki is the sweetest in the manga. :-D

Misaki is the sweetest in the manga. :-D

I'm actually considering reading the manga, which is something that I rarely ever do. Heard it's a bit more raw, shows drug use which explains the hallucinations a bit more and diverts at some point from the anime? Also a harsher ending apparently which...I'm not sure I'd like to read that ;P

But yeh, this show's good and I want some more of it so maybe I'll go through the manga eventually. I'll take a break from Welcome to the NHK for now though, too much depressing stuff ain't the way to go.

Defuser

Madan no Ou ep 1 to 3
Damn, this protaganist is one badass motherfucker with his bow. Headshotting fools down left and right no problem,fucking hax. A highly competant harem MC is so damn rare nowadays.

Madan no Ou ep 4
Zomg, she is poisoned!!! Time to grab her boob while sucking out the poison.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gundam Build Fighters Episode 4:

Shipping, shipping everywhere, this series is beginning to rival a season of Avatar of Korra in the realm of shipteaseing, and it is only episode 4, I am very afraid of this development, we might not survive the shipping wars.

phaze

Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 4-5

http://a.pomf.se/saacoe.webm

Chiri proving once again who the best character is.

Zetsubou remains as delightfully bonkers as ever but I can't help but feel that the constant repeating of the same formula makes things too stale. Show would benefit from some real story inserted between all those episodic sketches. Bring back HAMASHO.

jgminto

Gundam Build Fighters Try 4

That was a solid episode aside from the half assed, trope filled excuse for romance. I feel like this is going to be a continuous negative throughout the season. The rest was quite exciting though, the massive reference to God Gundam and the Erupting God Finger was so satisfying and it was enjoyable to see the main character lose and develop from it. It's still so disappointing that the show isn't living up to its amazing potential though, it's so close!

Gundam Build Fighters Episode 4:

Shipping, shipping everywhere, this series is beginning to rival a season of Avatar of Korra in the realm of shipteaseing, and it is only episode 4, I am very afraid of this development, we might not survive the shipping wars.

Well I don't know about Korra since I've never watched it but for a show to actually have relationships that grab the interest of viewers, there needs to be an actual relationship. A strong connection between the characters that is explored and developed. Instead of doing any of this, GBF Try is using tired tropes and background characters to tell the audience that there is a relationship instead of making it worthwhile. In the first season, you get a sense of a relationship slowly building between Reiji and Aila as the show continues. I don't get that from any of the relationships so far this season, they all just feel hollow in comparison.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'll make this brief, the creators of Avatar and Korra are very renowned for the using of ship-teasing to rile and troll the audience and this is what this feels like.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
We're one of the few that liked xenoglossia , aren't we ?

Too many prejudge it because it isn't a true to the source iM@S show. Now that we have a proper iM@S show for those who want it, Xenoglossia should be judged on its own merits rather than what it should have been. Oh yeah, and maybe if your favourite idol isn't Haruka you may not like their portrayal, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles when you're wrong about your idol choice.

Gundam Build fighters try episode 4
My predictions weren't totally spot on, but I totally called this being the first big loss to establish a rival episode. And that this battle would help inspire winning gundam (it's pretty obvious even if it wasn't explicit)

fertygo

Goddamit can you guys tagging spoiler for this week GBF?. Pretty sure I got spoiled for the outcome for this week eps big time.. jeez..

Necrovex

I'm actually considering reading the manga, which is something that I rarely ever do. Heard it's a bit more raw, shows drug use which explains the hallucinations a bit more and diverts at some point from the anime? Also a harsher ending apparently which...I'm not sure I'd like to read that ;P

But yeh, this show's good and I want some more of it so maybe I'll go through the manga eventually. I'll take a break from Welcome to the NHK for now though, too much depressing stuff ain't the way to go.

I'd say the manga ending is more hopeful than the anime ending.

Midonin

Gundam Build Fighters Try 04

I wasn't as into it as last week's episode, but it is important for the story with setting up Fumina for her chosen Gunpla. The date stalking with Mirai was entertaining, and the SD battle was fun. Especially with how quickly that guy was able to build. Looking forward to the tournament, and secretly hoping Kaoruko makes her way back into the show soon.

cajunator

Banned
Fuck, I can already feel it. Welcome to the NHK ain't gonna leave my mind for a while. Well done show, well done.

Yeah its a show I have marathoned quite a few times and enjoy every single time just as much. Really stuck with me. It wasnt afraid to show the darkest sides of hikikomoris and the real things they struggle with and lead to. It was a show equally about optimism and hope however.

Twintails - 01

tJaBJjl.gif

What did I just watch?

Anime of the decade.

Oh neat! So its food competition? Like Yakitate Japan?

It hurts to much to list out what he did....I have hope still in this adaption, but it is dying quick.

I read over the list and I see several shows I enjoyed quite a lot. Also some I didnt enjoy so much but most staff work on things they arent proud of.

He also did Sora no Woto, so frankly he'll always get a pass from me no matter what dreadful things he might be apart of.

If thats true then I trust this guy.

I politely insist that anyone who still has lingering hope marathon My-HiME. Just sayin'.

But that show was pretty enjoyable. right up to that stupid fucking ending but Ill forgive that since the rest was good.

I admire that kind of simplicity but the collector in me is horrified by the thought.
Owning things digitally really feels like you dont own it at all.

I came to the realization a couple years after college when I looked at my music/movie collection and said to myself "the last time I touched any of these was when I moved out of my mom's house, and who knows before that?" I guess I don't want things around that exist only to look at, they have no purpose to me. No figurines, posters, etc.

Well, not entirely true. I have two DOOM plushies (Cacodemon and Pain Elemental) that my brother bought me, and a plush Totoro that I bought with my last 2000¥ at Narita Airport as I was leaving Japan a few months ago.

cajunator

Banned
I came to the realization a couple years after college when I looked at my music/movie collection and said to myself "the last time I touched any of these was when I moved out of my mom's house, and who knows before that?" I guess I don't want things around that exist only to look at, they have no purpose to me. No figurines, posters, etc.

Well, not entirely true. I have two DOOM plushies (Cacodemon and Pain Elemental) that my brother bought me, and a plush Totoro that I bought with my last 2000¥ at Narita Airport as I was leaving Japan a few months ago.

I understand that mode of thought and it makes sense but I suppose Im the kind of person who enjoys being surrounded by enjoyable things with a physical presence. figures, discs, games, music albums the lot. I do tend to watch things multiple times and definitely appreciate it being at my fingertips when I want to see it instead of having to search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom