• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehe.

Hm... Episode 5 was amusing, but not outright funny though.

Well, it was mostly that no specific episode stuck out to me just that watching the show there was this constant feeling of giddiness on my part. Other shows have kind of specific peaks and valleys, but Nozaki-kun was just this steady state of joy. Sakura Trick was much the same feeling, but the humor in that show was much more one-note and all the characters were kind of the same "adorably dumb."

gdgd Fairies 2 07

GmgWANC.jpg

The old switcheroo.

Surprise guest appearance by a relative as well.

Parasyte - 04

I think this was one of the weaker episodes. I'm not buying that Ryoko's mother had instincts about absolutely knowing it wasn't her child, enough that she was willing to call the police.
Maybe she's a crazy old lady, that would've felt like a more realistic explanation for her absurd action in their reality, but then again I'm no mother. It just felt forced.
Best dad.

Parasyte the maxim 04

I also don't buy Ryoko's mom knowing she got possessed by those parasites. I mean she could very well have just been feeling under the weather.

Sick action between Migi and A. Nice Switcheroony with Shin stabbing that dude in the heart. Also his parents are still the best.

Seeing Shinichi's dad reminds me I need to work on my Movember stache >_>

Narag

Gundam Build Fighters Try 4

That was ok. I mean it sounds like I'm damning with faint praise but I feel like this is on an upward trajectory and it'll approach the first season's quality before long. At the very least, I'll say the Gunpla fighting half was finally there this ep.

Nozaki-kun 08

Kashima discovers that everybody likes shoujo manga.

Hori gets his pants stolen, sees boxes everywhere and does some bull riding. And it's the second time in a week I've heard Air on the G string in an anime.

Parasyte - 04

Solid episode but probably still my least favorite so far. Considering that the previous episode ended on a cliffhanger the fight we got didn't seem all that great. While the extremely quick sickle-and-other-deadly-transformations-flinging attacks make sense the back and forth didn't really look visually impressive this time around. That said, I'm not gonna complain that it was over so quickly, I actually like that fast combat pacing after all.

I don't really have a problem with Ryoko's mom realizing that there's something completely off about her daughter. For all we know the parasite has no idea about Ryoko's actual mannerisms, behavior and relationship to her mother (after all she doesn't even know about her prior to this). So if her daughter suddenly acts extremely abnormal that may not just confuse her but actually weird her out, in which case her reaction seems fine to me.

I actually kinda like this because it highlights that the parasites (seemingly) cannot just overtake a human and replicate not just the physical body but also the mind perfectly. That was a bit of a theme this time around anyways, with Shinichi's mother being so concerned about her son changing. That said, in that case I actually do think "it's like you're not my son" is a rather exaggerated reaction. (I also realized that I can't really stand the mothers voice!)

Crocodile said:
Teacher's union should take their faux moral outrage and shove it up their butts :/

That kind of social pressure on a pregnant but unmarried woman, especially a somewhat public figure such as a teacher, is unfortunately probably the norm in Japan. So, that seems like a logical way to remove her from school (from a writing standpoint I mean).

edit:

Chaika AB - 04

Nice episode. All that delicious mystery getting unraveled and I gotta say, I'm kinda glad that
the Chaika's are brainwashed and enchanted normal children as opposed to some purely magic being / not really human. Now just uh...resolve everything and de-enchant Chaika which includes returning her lost memories, have her marry Tooru and continue to be cute and now happy!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Parasyte Episode 4:

Like sands in an hourglass these are the parasites of our lives. Seriously, the angst in this one was a little too overbearing for my tastes; indeed probably the weakest episode thus far.

phaze

"confusing" maybe kind of the point though the ending made you questioning if
Lain made another "world" inside The Wire, emphasizing the theme of the line between real and internet world blurred together and confuse you altogether which one that you lived in.

I feel like this option would make
the Lain's rejection of Eiru, the whole Arisu-Lain relationship and that last scene pretty pointless.

Gundam Build Fighters Try Episode 4

Finally the anime had an actually good battle. Sakai is what was needed to really spice this anime up and make it feel entertaining and fun. Good personality, good embracing of the most important gunpla tenants, and good skills and strategy. We all could lear something from such a good character. I hope he and Sekai have tons of run ins.

Gundam Build Fighters Try 04

Prob the best episode so far. Fight was great.
Shipping aspect might bother some people but it's a non issue to me so far.

Parasyte 04

This is just a good adaptation. So much gets covered in one (shorter then normal) episode but nothing feels rushed.

Chaika AVENGING BATTLE 04

8e236dc9a1.jpg

TRUST NO ONE. NOT EVEN YOURSELF

Well, we get our answers. Most were predictable, but we've been getting them trickled in over the course of the story.
And what's up with Hatsune Miku in the tank?
Looks like Fredrica will kill a lot of things next episode. This is good!

----------------------------

First visual for Shokugeki no Soma. I guess the anime info will be revealed at Jump Festa.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...geki-no-soma-anime-1st-visual-unveiled/.80450
jgpwGSY.jpg

Looking good!
Now that we have avoided the bad end path, anything is possible!

Necrovex

I'm watching through the Punk Hazard arc of One Piece, and I remember when the female casts had normal bodies. That time skip really altered their bodies!

jbug617

Banned
Here is Funimation's announcement.
http://www.nerdist.com/2014/10/funimations-new-strategy-to-english-dub-anime-broadcasting-in-japan/
Flower Mound, TX – (10/29/14) – FUNimation announced today the start of a new initiative–the FUNimation Broadcast Dub. Fans will soon be able to watch the English dubbed episodes of select shows that are currently broadcasting in Japan. FUNimation has experience with broadcast dubs, having had previous success dubbing the hit series Space Dandy for U.S. broadcast on Adult Swim. FUNimation Broadcast Dubs will be available exclusively for FUNimation subscribers commercial-free and streaming in 1080 HD.

Currently, new episodes are simulcast with Japanese audio and English subtitles shortly after the original broadcast in Japan. Once the series has finished simulcasting, final materials are received from Japan and work begins on the English dubbed home video release.

However, with this new initiative, select series will be dubbed into English using the broadcast/simulcast materials from Japan just weeks after broadcast. When asked why the company has decided to launch FUNimation Broadcast Dubs, founder and president Gen Fukunaga replied, “We know that anime fans have a strong interest in English dubs, so we are doing everything we can to get them to the fans as soon as possible.”

Following the release of the FUNimation Broadcast Dub, FUNimation will continue to produce a final English dub for the DVD/Blu-ray release, using materials from Japan’s DVD/Blu-ray release. This final version can be different from the broadcast version, including uncut footage not seen in the broadcast.

Two shows have been chosen from the current Fall 2014 season to launch the initiative–Laughing Under the Clouds and Psycho-Pass 2.

Fans will be able to watch Episode 1 of Laughing Under the Clouds in English on November 1st at 12:30pm ET/ 11:30am CT on http://funimation.com/laughing-under-the-clouds. A new episode will be released every Saturday at 12:30pm ET/ 11:30am CT. New episodes in Japanese with English subtitles are released every Friday at 2:28pm ET shortly after broadcast in Japan.

Chaika S2 Episode 4

Awesome episode. Wasnt expecting this twist. I was sure they were just
clones of the actual Chaika, but instead they were just orphaned girls with fake memories.
I wonder if they will explain the mark on their necks and Vivis transformation though. Theres also that Guy guy. Seems like he wants to help the Chaikas in a way.

Oh man, I cant wait for next episode. Frederica looks like she is going to go on a slaughter spree.

And how the hell does one hate cat girls? Demi humans are cool. Cat girls, damnit! Had to chuckle at the twin tails in the lab though.

Yeah her personal life is pretty fucked but I agree about that scene with the grenade. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ADORABLE.
Shinon is a goddess (as expected of a Miyukichi role).

I always liked her design, very happy that shes a cat girl in ALO :3

I can't wait to see Soma animated in general. I've shown Yakitate Japan to most of my friends already... I needed a new show to show to people like that :p

I am also curious how much they plan to adapt, as the current arc should be wrapped up by the time the anime comes out, but at the same time to remotely do from start to the end of the current arc justice you would likely need more than 26 episodes.

I usually just gloss over every scene where they discuss which ingredients are being used and why thats so awesome. So hopefully the animation will make those scenes somewhat interesting.

cajunator

Banned
Shirobako 3

Damn girl, you need to relax. Appreciate that other girl whose name escapes me noticing that Aoi was at her mental limit and smacked Honda and helped her get her mind back on track. Also lold at the director yelling about recap episodes in his sleep.

The lesson here is that the goal for these productions is not to not screw up. It's to address screwups and deal with them as they come. That said, I don't quite understand how exactly Aoi messed up. Seemed like it was other people like Kisa and such who were the ones making her go around and apologize for them. And the servers crapping out was beyond hers or anybody else's control. Seems she did everything she possibly could have done. And helped get it done along the way.

Aoi;s job seems stressful but something I would probably personally enjoy too. It wouldnt be dull!

Misaki is the sweetest in the manga. :-D

Is she? I heard she behaved pretty differently but she really is a sweetheart in the anime. I really wanted her to be happy.

Oh shit my Sailor Moon Bluray Set 1 just shipped!

Ahhhhhhh!

LUCKYYYYYYY
You are such a LUCKYBEAR. However I did get shipping confirmation that Gargantia is on the way!

Just recently added the AnoHana ED to my anime music folder. Haven't watched the show yet but that theme is great.

The ED is amazingly beautiful. Like the show or not, I think everybody likes the ED song.

Midonin

I don't really watch dubs, and I'm not watching either of the shows they chose (the kinds of shows I'd watch are unlikely to be chosen anyway), but it's good for people who like that sort of thing.

Clov

Well, great for people who like dubs, I guess.

Meanwhile, Funimation's only foray into sub-only releases remains as some incest show. Just because a show isn't worth taking the money to dub, doesn't mean it's not worth a release (as Sentai has shown with their many sub-only releases, as have NISA and Aniplex).

Am I bitter? Yes, because they're not doing anything with stuff like The Tatami Galaxy, Ping-Pong, Kyousougiga, etc. Had any other company gotten these, they would have been released long ago. I'll keep waiting...

Well, great for people who like dubs, I guess.

Meanwhile, Funimation's only foray into sub-only releases remains as some incest show. Just because a show isn't worth taking the money to dub, doesn't mean it's not worth a release (as Sentai has shown with their many sub-only releases, as have NISA and Aniplex).

Am I bitter? Yes, because they're not doing anything with stuff like The Tatami Galaxy, Ping-Pong, Kyousougiga, etc. Had any other company gotten these, they would have been released long ago. I'll keep waiting...

They would release ping pong in only four months since the anime has finished?

Parasyte 4

The animation and art style didn't look that clean for me this episode. There was a lack of detal in some scenes, like in a scene where
Migi and Shinichi are standing with Migi ready to attack, and she looks like blobs
. Also when
A-san was walking away all bloody and the head was just mush
. I know I can't expect top notch quality like the first episode, still a bit disappointing though if this is what I can expect.

Mary Jane didn't really have much to do this episode, this was entirely an episode based on Peter Parker and his folks. They're really selling me on how important the current situation and the relationship to the parents is. It's extremely refreshing to see parents who are this.. realistic in anime. I especially loved when
the mom tells the dad that Shinichi screamed at her and his reaction is "was he spanking the monkey?"
lord knows many of us can relate to something similar when we were in our teens. Honestly I can't express in words how much I love the parents because they remind me of my own: the sweet yet extremely overprotective/pushy mom, and the laid back dad who understands it's the age his son is at. Brilliant. Also the signs from earlier episodes are now made clearer since
Shinichi is getting corrupted by Migi. I assume he'll become less of a coward and more cold

Don't know what to expect from this point forward. But as long as the characters are more than just archetypes, which so far they have been, I'm looking forward to it.

Amazing announcement by Funimation, too bad the first two shows they're doing it with are blah. If I could have picked any two shows they've licensed this fall I'd have wanted Yona and Bahamut

Aikatsu - 20
Things to note

-paparazzis are the worst thing that happens in idol anime
-I personnaly don't mind goth-lolis

This was a fun episode.

cajunator

Banned
Futari wa Pretty Cure Max Heart 01 - 06

I've been watching some of this even though cajun said not to, squeezing in an episode here and there in between episodes of Splash Stars, and so far my only question is...

...why does Shiny Luminous shout her transformation phrase like she's Charlie Brown?

YOU WERE WARNED. IF YOU GET VICIOUSLY BURNED ITS NOT MY FAULT.
Please stay safe :(

I have a shit ton of Japanese blu-rays, probably spent near 10k on.

I've opened maybe a couple of volumes, rest are still brand new. I straight up buy stuff to collect it.

I respect that quite a bit.

Yakitake Japan meets fine dining w/ foodgasms (i.e. reaction shots of people eating food.) Very hot-blooded, and it can be fanservicey, typically in both directions since men have to eat the food also.

Yakitate Japan had some incredible reactions to the bread creations. If this show is anywhere near that entertaining I am fully on board.

You want to know what'll really break the mold? If the parents go off to another country for work...

...and there children come with them.

Im pretty sure this has happened but I cant remember what shows did it.

What Wizard Barristers could have learned from Shirobako

Major climatic scene in Wizard Barristers ep11 (spoilers!) as it aired on TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhmBnaEcbfA

What it was really supposed to look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msrS_uwHTGg

Holy shit that is BAD.
I kind of stopped watching this show before that so I didnt see this episodes badness before.

I can assure you that nothing Shaft has ever done is comparable to this. The closest comparison here would probably be Kissdum episode 3, except even after "fixing" it that show looked awful. Wizard Barristers ep11 is now among the legends of unfinished TV episodes, especially since they actually DID fix it so there's a comparison for exactly what was missing.

I think that well over half the episode has been completely altered or upgraded, and the rest of it has minor touch ups all over. In the first 4 minutes of the episode leading up to the OP, over 2 minutes of that was missing from the TV version.

I dunno... There is an episode of Tsukuyomi Moonphase that comes close. I think it might be the origin of the Shaft budget jokes.

Aaand that is a NSFW website :(

I saw the link and immediately knew that :p

Future Diary Series Impressions

Before you say anything, no I have not finished it and I have no intentions of finishing it now. As such, I will give my impressions of the series up until the point I stopped (episode 5). Sorry Mike but this was just too terrible to continue.

What started as a silly story with oddball characters turned into a disaster that has appalled me more than any work of fiction I have seen/read. The main character Yukki gets caught up in an absurd game that pits people against each other who share the commonality that they scribble in notebooks. The goal of this game is to becoming god by killing the other note scribblers. How or why? No one knows and no one questions it. Yukki is not alone, he has his psychotic stalker to accompany him through this death game. The absurdity of the premise is incredibly stupid but fun enough that I can get behind. The problem I have is Yukki shows no intentions of becoming a god and is just along for the ride. He doesn't question why he is in this mess or attempts to escape from it. Instead he and his stalker murder everyone who crosses their path without any remorse or repercussions.

Every other character involved in the game has some purpose or reason why they want to become god. We have idiotic power ranger of justice, the escapist, the cult leader and the police officer. The power ranger has just goals (or so he claims), the escapist has hinted she has some grand purpose (for good or bad, I'm not entirely sure), the cult leader has a horrible past and wishes for retribution and finally the cop wants to protect the innocent (or at least that's the impression I get). Why do we follow around this useless lame duck and his murderous stalker who feels no remorse for killing others and has no goal other than to survive? He is a completely unlikable selfish dick with no motivations other than live to see another day.

So what pushed me over the edge where I felt the need to drop this aberration of story telling? Episode five features a cult leader with a tragic backstory... For some reason her parents thought it would be a good idea to start a religion surrounding their daughter who can't see past her arms, declaring her a clairvoyant. Then when they suddenly die her congregation decide to brutally rape her. WHY? No explanation is given and the only purpose I can think of is to see a naked girl in provocative poses as she is pleasured by several different men. It gets even worse as you can see man juice dripping down her legs (nsfw image) as she cries out in agony over her lost mother. What the fuck am I watching?

This sounds completely horrible right? It gets worse. This completely nonsensical backstory for this character is appalling in every sense of the word but because she is also in this anime's death game she is a villain the protagonist must destroy. Since when is okay to vilify rape victims? The cheery power ranger of justice is present to make light of the mood but all it does is exemplify how horrible this is and make it stand out even more. We have cheery happy fun time to contrast against the dark evil rape victim. I can't... Just stop...

Anime writers, hell writers in general. If you're going to include touchy subjects like rape in your fiction you better have a damn good reason to do so and it better be done as tactfully as possible.

This is quite the megaton.

A shame they probably won't pick up Fate/Stay Night though, since Aniplex already got Fate/Zero.

I would have liked to see F/SN dubbed since I watched F/Z dubbed, but hey, hopefully they get some of the more well-recieved airing shows around here, like Shirobako or something

Aniplex will most likely dub F/SN this time next year, I imagine Viz will follow suit with the simuldub and Aniplex will be last on the bandwagon if they bother at all.

So what pushed me over the edge where I felt the need to drop this aberration of story telling? Episode five features a cult leader with a tragic backstory... For some reason her parents thought it would be a good idea to start a religion surrounding their daughter who can't see past her arms, declaring her a clairvoyant. Then when they suddenly die her congregation decide to brutally rape her. WHY? No explanation is given and the only purpose I can think of is to see a naked girl in provocative poses as she is pleasured by several different men. It gets even worse as you can see man juice dripping down her legs (nsfw image) as she cries out in agony over her lost mother. What the fuck am I watching?

This sounds completely horrible right? It gets worse. This completely nonsensical backstory for this character is appalling in every sense of the word but because she is also in this anime's death game she is a villain the protagonist must destroy. Since when is okay to vilify rape victims? The cheery power ranger of justice is present to make light of the mood but all it does is exemplify how horrible this is and make it stand out even more. We have cheery happy fun time to contrast against the dark evil rape victim. I can't... Just stop...

Anime writers, hell writers in general. If you're going to include touchy subjects like rape in your fiction you better have a damn good reason to do so and it better be done as tactfully as possible.

What the hell. I mean I've heard enough about this show being rather bad that I've never had any intention of watching it but this sounds way worse than I was expecting.

That screencap...holy mother of anime studios, its bad enough to use rape as a cheap way to convey tragedy and/or threat but the type of visuals that sometimes accompany these scenes. Like, the ass shots in Sinon's Ass Online already make me wonder how the single employee's feel working on that shit, but this is in another ballpark. Seriously disgusting.

Chaika AB 4

Shocking truth, somewhat expected

Also the fight scene in the cave looked unfinished, very choppy and a lot of repeated animations made it feel rushed which is very odd for Chaika. That and the fact it seems like they forgot to show a scene of how the Gillette squad got into a conversation or why they were in a conversation with an old man talking about floating castles. Obviously the highlight of this episode was the revelations of what has been going on with the plot so far.

Ai katsu - 21
This was , without a doubt the most entertaining ai katsu episode so far
Aikatsu%21%20-%2021_02.jpg

keeep telling yourself that
I honnestly have nothing but praise for this episode...
A sudden special audition is there, Only 2 places but they MUST work as a team of 4 in order to suceed .. The premise was already good , but we included our chuunii idol vampire friend in the mix that won't let her guard down out of her "role" thanks to the previous episode. Team work suffers as a result ..

Regardless of all of this , each challenge , while classical worked masterfully with the rest of the episode , be it mizuki message needing help ( nice nod btw) , the traps that were a nice mix of reality and fiction ..yurika death scene was magnificent as a result.

This was trully nice , the nods to previous episodes were there , there was coherence in this mayhem and that's more than welcome.

IN term of comedy , this episode was well above average , with those stupid situations, those reversals and the likes.
Aikatsu%21%20-%2021_01.jpg

who those 2 characters might be ? i have no idea /s
Overall this episode delivered , trully the first 9/10 aikatsu episode. i hope this show will keep this up , because for a character that i expected to last only 1 ep , our little vampire continues to impress , much more than the baka love airhead girl that can't deny being a rip-off of cure lemonade.

What the hell. I mean I've heard enough about this show being rather bad that I've never had any intention of watching it but this sounds way worse than I was expecting.

That screencap...holy mother of anime studios, its bad enough to use rape as a cheap way to convey tragedy and/or threat but the type of visuals that sometimes accompany these scenes. Like, the ass shots in Sinon's Ass Online already make me wonder how the single employee's feel working on that shit, but this is in another ballpark. Seriously disgusting.

I've watched the show before two times. Never bothered me enough to the point of dropping it, as that's probably the 'darkest' the show gets besides another scene later on. What bothers me is that it could have been a story about a kid and his psycho stalker and it would have been perfectly fine, but the decision to anime it up with gods and chibi lolis....

But yeah I wouldn't call it good either. Watchable for sure. But the main protag is cowardly to an irritating degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom