• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Future Diary Series Impressions

This sounds completely horrible right? It gets worse. This completely nonsensical backstory for this character is appalling in every sense of the word but because she is also in this anime's death game she is a villain the protagonist must destroy. Since when is okay to vilify rape victims? The cheery power ranger of justice is present to make light of the mood but all it does is exemplify how horrible this is and make it stand out even more. We have cheery happy fun time to contrast against the dark evil rape victim. I can't... Just stop...

Huh? You make it seem like you can't have a rape victim as a villain.

Like, the ass shots in Sinon's Ass Online already make me wonder how the single employee's feel working on that shit, but this is in another ballpark. Seriously disgusting.

Quite frankly, I doubt most give a shit.

Also the fight scene in the cave looked unfinished, very choppy and a lot of repeated animations made it feel rushed which is very odd for Chaika. That and the fact it seems like they forgot to show a scene of how the Gillette squad got into a conversation or why they were in a conversation with an old man talking about floating castles. Obviously the highlight of this episode was the revelations of what has been going on with the plot so far.

Well, now that you bring it up, yeah that was a bit odd.
I did wonder what was going on with the Gilette squad scene.

This sounds completely horrible right? It gets worse. This completely nonsensical backstory for this character is appalling in every sense of the word but because she is also in this anime's death game she is a villain the protagonist must destroy. Since when is okay to vilify rape victims? The cheery power ranger of justice is present to make light of the mood but all it does is exemplify how horrible this is and make it stand out even more. We have cheery happy fun time to contrast against the dark evil rape victim. I can't... Just stop...
I haven't watched it, so this is a question. Are you saying you can never have a rape victim that becomes a "villain"? There's no way in your mind that allows a person to be brutalized and then become a villain either unrelated or as a result of people hurting them? The idea of "people hurt me, I'm going to hurt them"?

This doesn't just happen with rape victim stories. There are stories about child abusers who become abusive, etc.

Flowers of Evil 10:
Well, he deserved that. This was another fantastic episode, but I feel like I'm kind of running out of new things to say about the show. The dialogue was great, the direction was strong, and the material is captivating. It was another episode of Flowers of Evil. There are a lot of long scenes without a whole lot of actual action, but they remain fascinating to watch. I really wish that I had kept up with this show when it was first airing.

Huh? You make it seem like you can't have a rape victim as a villain.

I haven't watched it, so this is a question. Are you saying you can never have a rape victim that becomes a "villain"? There's no way in your mind that allows a person to be brutalized and then become a villain either unrelated or as a result of people hurting them? The idea of "people hurt me, I'm going to hurt them"?

This doesn't just happen with rape victim stories. There are stories about child abusers who become abusive, etc.

I'm sure it can be done but it has to be done well. In Future Diary there was no rhyme or reason to include her backstory scenes other than to have the character displayed naked in sexual poses. (Rape is sexy!) The main character is never made aware of her backstory and it serves no purpose to the plot. The way it was done left a horrible taste in my mouth to the point where I have to drop it.

However that's not my only problem with how Future Diary exploits women. There is a scene where a women is being held captive in chains and she is completely naked. What is the purpose of her being naked? Hell if I know! Not explained and nothing leading up to her capture. Just an excuse to show tits I guess.

Yahari Oreino Seishun Love Comedy wa blablalbla - 01-05

For some stupid reason I thought I should check out this show after reading about a planned sequel and seeing a bunch of hype for that. I don't know why I'd even consider that any kind of r/anime hype is worth the slightest damn, but well there I go.

Even after skipping through a lot of even these early episodes I just can't continue this shit.

This is just the epitome of generic harem anime. Holy shit those cardboard anime-characters that aren't even in the vicinity of being realistic, multifaceted human beings.

The cynical and, as the show wants to sell us, shunned loner (nicknamed "Hikky" for hikikomori) MC is already bad on his own. He actually doesn't really have social issues and is quickly surrounded by love interests.

But then there's even crap like the total butt-monkey chuunibyou (thanks for the term Trigger show!) friend and...a 'trap'. Yeh...just no.

edit:
Damn, this is #460 on MAL?

And the review at the top:
Yahari Ore isn't the first anime to tackle the anti-social protagonist, but it certainly captures it perfectly with its characters and deadpan writing. Like others have said before, you may go into this expecting a typical rom-com but will instead come out of it lashed by the harsh views of our characters.

What. Well at least the first statement is correct.

Ai Katsu - 22

In this episode , our heroine tries to go Super saiyan , only to realise that she was already at that level all along !

This was a fairly weak episode , all things considered ..but it was again saved by johnny-sensei & raichi that are the MOST entertaining characters of the franchise so far.

I'm really liking the continuity between episodes in aikatsu ..you feel like there is a flow of events , a narrative that is told , even with fillers, this aspect has been forgotten in many anime with this theme.

If there's any Precure girl that Otome most resembles, it's Cure Rosetta.

There is her personnality that affect me too much . that lack of screen presence , that weightless "love you" catch phrase ... that feelign of no consequence on the overall plot .
i can't be reminded enough of cure lemonade when i see her.

Well, now that you bring it up, yeah that was a bit odd.
I did wonder what was going on with the Gilette squad scene.

Yep, I imagine they were trying to crunch down the chapter or two of the LN this episode is based upon, knew they needed that scene because it will be important but cut for time all the parts which lead up to it. Kinda disappointing but with S2 being only 10 episodes I guess they don't have as much time for some establishing scenes :/

Gundam Build Fighters Try 2

Was wondering how they were going to get around having a love triangle, I guess by having Yuu crush on Sekai's older sister they can pair Sekai with Hoshino and either have Yuu hook up with the older sister or chase her for part of the season then hook her up with another girl in the 2nd half.

Goddamit can you guys tagging spoiler for this week GBF?. Pretty sure I got spoiled for the outcome for this week eps big time.. jeez..

The girl and the blue/red hair boys win the tournament, but SOMETHING HAPPENS and there is a bigger more pressing matter that they handle and barely eke out a victory in

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 11:
Once again, a really, really good episode. There's some strong character stuff here, and some really well written and shot scenes, such as the bit with Shima and Okita watching the propaganda film, or Yamazaki telling Shima about what had happened in the past. There are lots of great moments where you can just read so much into what a character is thinking just based on little shots of their eyes. There was a bit of surprise in terms of the reveal, in that
I had kind of expected there to be some sort of cultural misunderstanding, rather than simply being the humans being the complete instigators in the situation.

The only issue I had with the episode was that the fanservice felt a bit out of place, especially with how contrived the reason to get the characters naked was.

Nafe

Watch Da Birdie used one of my Goldfish Warning! screen captures in the opening post of his which anime archetype would you be? thread. Should watch the show if they haven't already! ;p

---

I might have lost my original posting for links to anime threads to make an updated full list, so for now here's AnimeGaf topics of 2014 for easier searching:

Winter 2014 OT
Winter 2014 OT2

Winter 2014 OT3/Spring 2014 OT1

Spring 2014 OT1.5
Spring 2014 OT2

Summer 2014 OT
Summer 2014 OT2
Summer 2014 OT3

Fall 2014 OT

e_i

Highschool DxD seasons 1&2 dub

Funimation, the next time someone suggests that you use inner city slang for your dubs, SLAP them, yo.

I don't know why people like Build so much. It's like fake Gundam. The choreographed fights have no bearing on the real world.

If anything that's part of what makes it fun. In a "real world" Gundam if you introduce cool/unique pilots or Gundam you have to come up with constant plot convenience for why they stop fighting or escape IE don't die/get destroyed so they can show up again and again though the series. With Build Fighters the robots can get torn to shreds, the main characters can even be completely wiped out and still have their Gundam back to 100% next episode without some bs reason.

That combined with the fact the setting lets you do lots of crazy different kinds of Gundam battles from 1 on 1s to 3 on 3s to group free for alls to races to all out brawls etc etc. Plus it's really well written and well animated

And if you really want another serious Gundam you can go watch G-reco...

Nafe

So while Nafe is better at keeping records of everyone else's posts, Jexhius is the master at keeping records on Nafe's posts?

I actually have that post but it looks like you can't quote old posts? I actually had that post saved but my file might have been lost. I just meant it more that I think I'd have to copy and past all the links back into a new post rather than just simply adding to that one. That's what I thought anyway.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Believe it or not, the main appeal of Gundam is not the hamfisted geopolitics, though that's what makes it unique among robot shows, but the robots fighting robots.

GBF is robots fighting robots distilled into a pure form.

I can turn your words around easily to dismiss the whole of the Gundam franchise like so:
Myself said:
I don't know why people like Gundam so much. It's like fake war. The juvenile portrayal of international conflict has no relation to war in the real world.
See?

This kind of reasoning is shortsighted and pointless.

08th MS Team is there for you!

That counts as serious? It's about as goofy tonally as ZZ.

There was a reason for my ellipses, people do die in G-Reco and the story takes place in a "real world" where everyone is on drugs the whole time and the fights have weight to them. Obviously the tone is extremely goofy and the pacing is complete cray but in terms of the world G-Reco is a story of a real universe in conflict/war while GBF and GBFT is a story about kids playing with toys that fight other toys.

Haly

There's a reason why 0080 and 08th MS Team are considered by many connoisseur anime watchers to be the pinnacle of Gundam storytelling. It's because they're the only ones to treat the topic of war with anything approaching maturity. All the rest is power fantasy junk, like a Goodkind novel: Just because it has death and rape doesn't make it mature, that's a child's idea of maturity.

The fact that 0080 and 08th MS Team both take a backseat to the franchise's flagship titles (mainline UC, SEED) should be evidence enough of what people actually tune into Gundam for.

And that's what makes GBF a breath of fresh air. It honestly embraces the franchise's real appeal, childish fun, and cuts out all the dead weight.

Mr.Jeff

At least the OP is good

Yousei Teikoku are cursed to be resigned to bad series or cause bad things to happen.
Innocent Venus? Bad
Kurokami? Bad
Stigma of Qwaser? Bad
Magical Pokaan? Mediocre despite a good premise.
Future Diary? Bad
Venus Versus Virus? Bad
Work on Guided Fate Paradox soundtrack? Exodus of employees leave the company.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Parasyte the maxim 04

I also don't buy Ryoko's mom knowing she got possessed by those parasites. I mean she could very well have just been feeling under the weather.

Sick action between Migi and A. Nice Switcheroony with Shin stabbing that dude in the heart. Also his parents are still the best.

Seeing Shinichi's dad reminds me I need to work on my Movember stache >_>

They didn't really build up this aspect too much in the anime compared to the manga but mothers (women in general really) in this universe are supposed to be super sensitive to changes.

Narag

pinnacle of Gundam storytelling.

KZ2bMcDl.png

Haly

Alright, alright, I got my numbers mixed up. I'd call it by its subtitle but it sounds like a Pokemon spinoff.
Bahamut is teh shit
Lie in April is teh shit
everything else sucks *goes back into hiding*

Breath regulus, breeeath.

8th MS Team has giant anus gouf and lightsaber jacuzzis, c'mon now

That's tame compared to most series!

Yousei Teikoku are cursed to be resigned to bad series or cause bad things to happen.
Innocent Venus? Bad
Kurokami? Bad
Stigma of Qwaser? Bad
Magical Pokaan? Mediocre despite a good premise.
Future Diary? Bad
Venus Versus Virus? Bad
Work on Guided Fate Paradox soundtrack? Exodus of employees leave the company.

So what you're saying is that the real mark of death is this band and we should all be hoping the Soma OP isn't by them?

Parasyte 04

Overall good episode. I do like how the story is showing a parent's love and intuition regarding their children and how the aliens don't seem to be able to account for something like this.
Gives me a couple ideas about where the story may be going with the pregnant alien lady. Possibly her falling in love with the child growing inside her and some kind of understanding of human emotions?

You have my attention.

It's the show I've looked the most forward to in a long time each week. It gives a great look at the production process for anime and what makes the industry work, while also having a great sense of dramatic pacing (and giving a good look at both the highs and lows of the process). It's really been impeccably directed, with every episode having really strong pacing leading to a lot of exciting moments. The standout show of the season for sure.

Also has the best main character of any show this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom