• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Aikatsu! 106

So many little moments to like here. As a Halloween episode, Yurika gets to be in her top form. All the old Starlight students showed up, even Kaede. Her Wizard of Oz outfits were pretty great. Also Johnny walking like an Egyptian. I'm not sure if a dress with cat eyes on the skirt is really the best way to go, but to use it in a performance of Yurika's song from last season, with all the Halloween trappings? Rock on, Akari! It's a different sort of beast than PriPara's Halloween episode, and just as fun.

phaze

Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold

New anime tv series, spring 2015, takes place after the Hades OVA, with Aiolia, the Lion Gold Saint from the original series as the new main character, and also wearing a Divine Gold Cloth. Seems to be made to tie in with a new figurine line too.

4GTth.gif

After the amazing trainwreck that was omega I shouldn't get my hopes up but to hell with that its Saint Seiya. (Hades OVA spoilers)
Didn't all the the Golds bite the bullet at the end of Hades arc ? Breaking the wall was one of the most memorable scenes in the entire franchise and this seems to retcon that scene..

RIP Regulus and Lost Canvas though. Fated to never get another cour.

Parasyte 4 Good episode. Can't see this parental trip ending well though. Shinichi should have just asked to go with. Also the substitute teacher turned into a total bitch.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ont-tv-anime-bones-staff-cast-unveiled/.80492

Blood Blockade Battlefront

9HdGoQs.jpg

2015 TV Anime

Original Author: Yasuhiro Nightow
Director: Rie Matsumoto
Script: Kazunao Furuya
Character Design: Toshihiro Kawamoto
Art Director: Shinji Kimura
Animation Production: BONES

Interesting staff, although it sounds like the original manga isn't very good. It seems like they're going to be going all out, and hopefully they'll make something good out of the story. It's already guaranteed to look great.

JCG

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/54673200

New anime tv series, spring 2015, takes place after the Hades OVA, with Aiolia, the Lion Gold Saint from the original series as the new main character, and also wearing a Divine Gold Cloth. Seems to be made to tie in with a new figurine line too.

The twelve year old version of myself would be jumping for joy right now.

But, in practice, I've lost most of my personal interest in Saint Seiya as well as any trust in Toei's/Kurumada's ability to do something truly new with the property.

Midonin

Denki-Gai 05

That's quite the impassioned ode to panties. Got me convinced. The "overhearing a conversation so it sounds like something else" is something I haven't seen in anime for a while, so having it here wasn't that bad. Tsumorin is a fun addition, and the rain segment was cute. Kameko with her hair tied up is really cute. Then there was the cat segment, done entirely in black and white and without any line of dialogue. Poor kitty. Little experiments like that, I like it when a show gets creative with itself. Denki-Gai is the Locodol of the season for me. Slightly lewd, not super high profile, but charming. A great way to start off Thursdays.

Somebody more familiar with the anime industry mind explaining something for me: why do these teams with such talent bother with source material that isn't very good? I mean sure there's the obvious reasoning of 'raking in money' with popular manga. But there are anime original written plots like Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, etc...

Are studios like BONES hired to do anime adaptations of these manga? Does the manga magazine decide it wants an anime adaptation and puts out the project for anime studios to bid on?

Just curious as if this is as much of a dream team as people are making it out to be it'd be a shame if the source material was crap. Instead of making them focus on a passion project with original written content.
Welcome back, Woofdog!

Thanks

Defuser

Hitsugi no Chaika : Avenging battle ep 4
That Kraken design is really confusing, I can't seem to make out the shape.

And jebus that Red Chaika's booty ass in the preview.

usbud7ukd4.gif

It's like they're trying their best not to fanservice White Chaika but the Red Chaika is older and looks like Chaika so direct their attention to her.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/54673200

Is it confirmed Tv series ? i don't think it was precised whenever it was Tv or movie.
(unless you have different sources than me )

cajunator

Banned
Somebody more familiar with the anime industry mind explaining something for me: why do these teams with such talent bother with source material that isn't very good? I mean sure there's the obvious reasoning of 'raking in money' with popular manga. But there are anime original written plots like Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, etc...

Are studios like BONES hired to do anime adaptations of these manga? Does the manga magazine decide it wants an anime adaptation and puts out the project for anime studios to bid on?

Just curious as if this is as much of a dream team as people are making it out to be it'd be a shame if the source material was crap. Instead of making them focus on a passion project with original written content.

Thanks

The studio probably isnt choosing what it has to adapt.

DiGiKerot

It can work both ways - in specifically Bones case, Minami mentioned during his SLA QA a couple of weeks back, by way of examples, that FMA was something they actually went to Squenix about because Yoshiyuki Ito read the first two volumes and thought it'd make a good cartoon, whilst Scrapped Princess was something brought to them by the publisher. A lot of studios can't afford to be picky about their work, so if they're brought something they can work with, they probably will.

Honestly, though, in a lot of cases, I'd imagine adaptations are attractive for even studios who can get choosy about their projects simply because it's an awful lot easier to get funding for your project when a major print publisher is an interested party, in comparison to trying to drum up sponsors and other investment partners for an original work for which they may see less benefit. Just announcing a cartoon can spike a manga or novels sales figures, after all - it's good advertising.

Midonin

Shirobako 04

This is the most "cute girls making anime"-like episode yet. Just the five of them hanging out and talking about anime things. I liked how they showed the aftermath of their video at the school festival, too. Like I said, that opening scene is going to keep coming back. What happens in one's past informs one's present, and to deny the importance of those scenes is simply not in my playbook.

I'm also really glad that Shizuka got some focus. I always wait for the cast lists for my upcoming anime, but I never think about the audition process, or other roles like dubbing or commercials. I only think of Haruka Tomatsu being in a commercial because it airs during Super Hero Time. Going up against someone like Yukarin for a big role would be tough, and from what was said of the premise - a harem anime with 11 girls, makes me think:

"I can think of at least two anime that are like that. I still want to see it."

Voice actors are the most visible part, and the easiest to make jokes about on pixiv. I enjoy studying what they bring to their roles, and for me personally, knowing voice actors is important if you're going to be a collector of character songs, because somebody has to sing those songs. I'm not really invested in their personal lives, and I don't listen to radio shows that often, so I don't give much thought to their lives outside their roles, but they do have them, and having it dramatized in something like Love Getchu or here is certainly interesting, but as you can any other part of anime, I simply like the craft of voice acting. Becoming another person, those who have a range, there are many facets of it. It depends on things like the directors' suggestions and the script, but the heart comes just as much from the actor.

So what I'm saying is, where's this universe's version of Maaya Uchida? I'm genuinely curious.

Denki-Gai 5
This show is really hit or miss with its humor. You get some really funny scenes, and then there are moments that make me want to cringe or just leave me bored.

Shirobako 4:
Cute girls getting drunk. I guess we should revisit that episode two conversation.

This was probably the weakest episode of the first four, but it was still really good, which should alleviate any possible fears. Even when the show isn't centered around the frantic pacing of getting the episodes of a show ready to air, it can still punch at a high level. There's some nice character stuff here with Aoi in particular, as she struggles to figure out exactly where she wants to go from here. I also loved how after seeing the movie, the characters were all discussing the various behind the scenes aspects of the production, such as Aoi judging how many cuts there were, or Shizuka analyzing the performance of the voice acting. Even when they aren't on the job, these are characters who are well versed in the production of anime.

Aoi's phone conversation with her mother was also a very nice and human moment. It reminded me a lot of the phone conversations I have with my parents. Kinoshita and Madoka's argument about the AC was also pretty amusing.

Takanashi continues to be the worst character, and he really needs to stop having any sort of important position on any thing. Yano and Aoi shooting him down at various points in the episode was pretty amusing.

phaze

Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 7

Man I complained about show being too formulaic but they shut my dirty mouth with this gold nugget. While story wise, the groundwork of the episode was still similar, they really went all out mixing dozen of different visual styles and satirizing a plethora of TV shows. Custom OP and ED too. Great stuff.

Hitsugi no Chaika : Avenging Battle 4
Some explanation of Chaika's that we basically understood from the large amount of foreshadowing served to us. The kraken was weird as I had difficulty telling where exactly its head is. And then there seems the pressing issue of the doctor trying to pry open the Chaika's heads but it seems that won't be an issue according to the preview

NeonZ

Is it confirmed Tv series ? i don't think it was precised whenever it was Tv or movie.
(unless you have different sources than me )

Yeah, sorry, looking again, it's just said to be a series, not necessarily a tv one. I was the one that made a leap, forgetting that it could be an OVA or other random stuff too.

Hitsugi no Chaika : Avenging battle ep 4
That Kraken design is really confusing, I can't seem to make out the shape.

And jebus that Red Chaika's booty ass in the preview.

usbud7ukd4.gif

It's like they're trying their best not to fanservice White Chaika but the Red Chaika is older and looks like Chaika so direct their attention to her.

Yeah I wasnt sure where his face was. It was just one giant mass of Kraken. Felt bad for the dude though.

That preview booty was funny. Like they just had to get that shot in there.

Necrovex

Question for y'all: Is dub Space Dandy fine to watch? I recall some people saying the plot gets messed up during parts of it. Is that true or now debunked?

Midonin

Encouragement of Climb S2 02-16

Finding out things in anime are real is great.

Really glad these are half-length. It made going through what amounts to the entire series much easier. My Chimney Rock experience still is fresh in my mind, and the series just has a lot of good things going for it. Some great visual language (the OPs in particular), a lot of cute moments with everybody (Firefly!
Kokona
is the most adorable thing), and a little bit of drama with Aoi attempting to overcome her fear of heights. I'm retroactively declaring it one of my favorite shows of the previous season, and glad that it'll be on my radar at least for its closing episodes. Aoi and Hina even remember which mountain they were on as kids! It's not quite a sports anime, and not quite a daily life anime. It's the world's only mountain climbing anime, with cute girls, and I feel it's nearly as educational as Shirobako, with all the charm of Hanayamata. Catch up ASAP.

Someday's Dreamers Sora 10-12 + Final Thoughts

Dammit show, way to start my day off with a bittersweet ending like that. Sora had an illness that she was going to die from? That she DID die from? I mean, the ending with Gouta sharing his memories with her, as she did with her father by letting him see in her a wedding dress, the reason she learned magic in the first place, was super heartwarming, but that ending...
It's a weightier show than the first Someday's Dreamers, and the art style with all of its filtered photo backgrounds isn't something one encounters very often, but I feel it has a much stronger sense of hometown (not that kind of hometown) than the first season. The amount of times Sora mentions that Biei is important to her is different from Yume, who was focused more on what she was doing in Tokyo. The lady with the guitar was an interesting element (glad we got to follow up on her career), and the OP was pretty catchy.

It's a unique show, and I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. Both seasons were unlike any sort of show I've seen, and as I said for the first one, the way they make magic into something more like a government job - while still keeping it filled with a sense of wonder, which is one of the most important aspects of magic, not turning it into a science textbook - is a feat that makes me feel a lot better about magic in anime after the summer season ended.

After a death like that, I'm not sure if
Shigofumi
is the right show to jump into, but it
is next on my backlog list.

Question for y'all: Is dub Space Dandy fine to watch? I recall some people saying the plot gets messed up during parts of it. Is that true or now debunked?

They both have their positives and negatives. Over-all though I'd argue the english version is better. QT's voice is less subtle with the autotune and just full blown T-Pain haha which is great. Also Dandy's voice in the english version is amazing, and it shows in the dub version of Lonely Nights (the song).

edit: off-topic but you guys planning on doing anything tomorrow for Halloween? If so what are you going as? Me personally it's my last Halloween in college so I'm going to my bff's annual huge halloween house party he has every year (probably the last as well for him). So we're gonna go crazy. Going as Santa Claus with a red bag full of beer/liquor.

Defuser

Psycho Pass 2 ep 4
usbud7ukd4.gif

Oh my gawd this episode went full urobochi on us despite him not writing this show at all. The highest death count rate in an episode ever.

There are 3 types of fanservice. One that everybody likes to see, the other is no one wants to see and the last one is one which is entirely pointless and not needed. And this episode have all 3.

The first one is showing some skin and undergarmets, the second is unfortunately all ages young and old male and female are the ones showing the skin and last one is the side character having sexy underwear while the rest doesn't which is entirely pointless and not needed.

Jex

Well, it's not "debunked" because factually, it did make changes. Do they matter? Not really in the grand scheme of things.

Onto your original question - is the dub fine? Yes, most people would say it's good dub. You can debate which version is superior, but ultimately you're fine to watch either.

jman2050

Shirobako 4

Being aspiring voice actress is suffering. Especially when pitted against Yukari TamuraSouma Rena of all people!

I find it kind of interesting how Aoi seems to be the highest up the chain compared to her friends and yet is the most aimless of them all. Even when presented with her most obvious career path all she could do was just sorta go along with it halfheartedly. The phone call from her parents was amusing, I can just imagine some 40-something year old housewife trying to make sense of some generic moe anime airing at 1 AM.

Tarou you are useless and actively harmful and I hope you get fired and blacklisted forever.

Necrovex

Debunked as all fuck. Space Dandy dub is good :)

They both have their positives and negatives. Over-all though I'd argue the english version is better. QT's voice is less subtle with the autotune and just full blown T-Pain haha which is great. Also Dandy's voice in the english version is amazing, and it shows in the dub version of Lonely Nights (the song).

edit: off-topic but you guys planning on doing anything tomorrow for Halloween? If so what are you going as? Me personally it's my last Halloween in college so I'm going to my bff's annual huge halloween house party he has every year (probably the last as well for him). So we're gonna go crazy. Going as Santa Claus with a red bag full of beer/liquor.

Well, it's not "debunked" because factually, it did make changes. Do they matter? Not really in the grand scheme of things.

Onto your original question - is the dub fine? Yes, most people would say it's good dub. You can debate which version is superior, but ultimately you're fine to watch either.

Awesome. Dub version it is. Thanks for the quick feedback. <3

jman2050

Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 7

Man I complained about show being too formulaic but they shut my dirty mouth with this gold nugget. While story wise, the groundwork of the episode was still similar, they really went all out mixing dozen of different visual styles and satirizing a plethora of TV shows. Custom OP and ED too. Great stuff.

This episode, the 3min Zan SZS OP, and Madoka Rebellion are Shaft's greatest achievements.

I think it was done in a reasonable way. She wasnt depicted in any revealing position, just her upper body pinned down and some other vague shots where you knew what was going on but it wasnt even animated. I think youre overemphasizing what is a very minor part of the show, especially considering the horrific other things that happened.

Well... After all those other watchbets I didn't think this was the one you'd drop, but ok.

Episode 5 was the most fucked up one though.

I'm probably overacting but after sitting through all of ImoCho something finally had to give.

Jarmel

Banned
Shirobako-4

I really liked the first half of the episode with the audition. I wish we saw more of the job searching process, mainly for the animators. I remember hearing how Ufotable would test applicants for animating roles and it would be cool to see if there were any other stories.

Oh and I really want to see the script process. I need to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom