• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

Psycho Pass 2 EP 4

Well, that was a brutal. The show always had some pretty sadistic scenarios but this one takes the cake.

Jarmel

Banned
These days a lot of industry folks use Twitter as well, so we can get more direct look into some of the process if they decide to tweet about it, or if they talk to each other
As for the big question on "why the anime industry is this way", I think it remains an open question though. There probably isn't enough serious research done to reveal which of the contributing factors have the most impact, so personally I can only speculate based on observations of how it is. Could be a very interesting topic, but I won't lie, I'm not inclined to start such a discussion because I expect a lot of low effort reductionist replies about "otaku", "waifus", "moe", and "fanservice". I also feel that such a discussion would be far more beneficial if people who actually have a stake in the industry have input. Too bad there aren't large serious media platforms interested in going after this sort of journalism. :(

Can't disagree there. Virtually nobody wants to have a serious topic on it and the thread would devolve into a bunch of one-liners and shitposting.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 12:
"Where have we come from and where are we going?"

I've really appreciated these last couple of episodes not having so much action in them, and just being all about the characters interacting. We get to see some more of the Garmilans in this episode and understand a little bit of the different factions there and the personal motivations for a couple of characters. There's also some good following up on the events of the previous episode for the Yamato crew. Kodai and Shima's fight makes a lot of sense based on where they were at, but it's also a good opportunity for them to grow. Okita also continues to be awesome, while remaining a very human character. His conversation about the purpose of a soldier was a very good one.

Denki 05

Nln2AYG.jpg

Very true.
Panties, glorious manservice and old flames. Another great episode, not a whole lot to be said here. All three parts were funny in their own ways and each one helped push along all of the pairs as well though the last one was the most touching if you ask me.

SHIROBAKO 04

I enjoy this show a lot but I can't really explain why. I just like it. I never feel right reviewing it cause in some odd way it feels like I'm reviewing a documentary or something. Nice seeing MC have a life outside making the anime and get to see her catch up with old friends.

Hi-sCool! Seha Girls 03-04

Never would have thought this would be one of the funnier shows of the season. I continue to love the jokes made about the games they find themselves a part of while keeping the girl's personalities close to the actual system themselves in a way.

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker Episode 150 (engDUB)
B1PJwjECAAIdH5O.png

Naoki and his Shingo, such powerful brilliant friendship no matter the circumstances. Naoki was legit hot fire tonight and it was just plain incredible. In his words, booyah, good by to
Maki

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shirobako Episode 4:

It is really nice to have a truly mature and adult anime to watch this season, and I don't mean mature in the adolescent grimdark anime way, I mean this is a rather earnest look at the insides of the anime industry and I am not seeing many punches pulled. Indeed, thsi gems is not as hidden as I thought it to be and that is a good thing.

jman2050

Twintails 4

An honorable battle if there ever was one.

The laptop scene was hilarious.
I guess even world-conquering aliens use Steam. Gabe Newell is truly a visionary.

LayLa

Podcasts and radio/stream events is another way to get an insight into how things work direct from people who work in those fields. Again though, there's a language barrier. Many of the Japanese stuff remain in Japanese. From the animation production stand point, there are actually increasingly more English sources here because of more English speaking animators working in Japan who are willing to talk about the experience. Aya Suzuki and Bahi JD are the main examples in recent years.

To add to this Jonathan Clements regularly appears on the MangaUK podcast which is normally a promo vehicle for UK anime releases, but he occasionally lets rip with an insider industry rant with names changed to protect the guilty etc.

Shengar

Mushishi Zoku Shou - 6
I still remember the impression for this episode around the web being a weaker one at that time. But with the central theme and how it conveyed through, I have to disagree. This is not strongest episode out of the first 6 (almost though, for me at least), but it's definitely have the most disturbing premise considering the fridge horror it could possibly contain.

Near-Eternal and ever lasting beauty and one's unwillingness for it to be taken away are the central theme of this episode. It shown to us how the gardener's family throughout 8 generations took care of Saho. Maybe it was out of goodwill and pity to the child. But I believe as time goes on the girl hardly grew old, Mansaku, the first generation, took notice of this, and somehow drew a parallel line between the tree and the girl. As such, the girl become the symbol of everlasting beauty for the family.

This is where the horror start. The family have keep her alive for 8 generations. As Saho's body began to deteriorate, they behead a girl and grafted Saho's head to it so she can continue living her pitiful existence (being blind and deaf). The question is, how long have the family doing? Is her body started to deteriorate regularly just recently, like two generations ago? Or does it happened since Mansaku's time? What Ginko's said is the latter, and if this is true, then the family have beheaded some babies, and girls to keep her alive. As much as it just a plausibility, it still very disturbing, especially if we consider that the cherry tree's beauty is what makes the family doing for entire 8 generations.

The execution in this episode also feels superb to me. The "oh shit" conclusion have been subtly hinted before the moment hit. It started with how the gardener look at his visitor, then sedates her later in the night. At this point, maybe we thought that he'll just tested out the sap mushi in stronger doses. But it turned out wrong as he put the girl next to Saho as he said sorry for not giving the painkiller to her. Then right after that we've been shown a line around Saho's neck, and unnatural color of the rest of her body. When the gardener raise his axe, all of that hint being previously shown comes together, makes the "oh shit" rightly hit just before it happened.

Overall, this is my favorite episodes out of the first six.

Mushishi Zoku Shou - 7
Another "feel good" or lighter episode of Mushishi. The entire premise and focus reminds me of the first season more than the second. Maybe because it have the element of "mundane thing" turned magical, and existentialism issue within the relationship of the affected human and the mushi, both which are quite common in the first season. While it could be definitely better, I think this episode already good for what it is now, thematically and exectuion wise.

If I have the right to guess it, the premise of "girl followed by rain" possibly taken from "rain man" phenomenon. You know when it's always raining outside when you asked a certain guy to going out together? Yes, the entire premise of this episode taken from "rain man", which quite often appeared in SoL manga. Anyway, while this "rain man" usually taken as comedy or in lighter tone, obviously this isn't applied in Teru's case.

The rain that following her have been a the plight that forced her to wander everywhere. She can't stay in one place as too much rain will only bring misfortunes like diseases, and crop failure (strangely it doesn't cause flood). The rain have taken her home and her childhood friend. As she come to realization that the rain following her all this time, that she responsible for the death of her fried, that moment must very hurtful to her.

But as much as Teru hates the rain that following her have giving a hard on her life, as long as she doesn't stay too long, it brings fortune to land that being struck by drought. It gives life crops that normally would wither under the heat of summer's scorching sun. It could be said that she is walking goddess, bringing fortune and good harvest to any villages she visit in her long-lasting journey.

So it comes to my mind: what will she feel when the mushi that makes her like this finally die? Will she happy as rain no longer following her, so she can finally settled in one place and making it home? Or will it comes to her mind that she wouldn't be able to helped villages that struck by a drought because she no longer followed by the rain, causing an existential crisis to her? But the possibility of the latter question is the high point of the episode for me, though sadly it isn't actually being mentioned whatsoever at any point.

The author is really a clever bastard. She gives the girl "Teru" as a name, an obviously ironic jab considering that "Teru Teru Bozu", the doll that made out of simple cloth, is supposed to prevent rain and keep the weather clear.

Ai katsu - 29
A fairly normal episode where our heroines cheer up their defeat by trying to teach their kouhai about the idol business.

It was alright , but there wasn't anything to note in this episode.

Ai katsu - 30
Our new rookie is now , more of less part of the team ..and thus need her prenium dress too.. problem, she has trouble to express her feeligns and the top designer is as secretive as possible.

Meanwhile , otome goes off , for some reason ( don't ask i've given up trying to understand this character ) . YES again i'm complaining about otome ...i just can't help it.
Aikatsu%21%20-%2030_01.jpg

Yurika double negative tsundere effect is the best

This show , it really rides on each character profile and strengths , sakura in particular is really going all out with a new theather , and ichigo , now fully a teacher/sempai hybrid works perfectly with this character... i mean ichigo was the genki girl full of good intentions before already , but it really works perfectly with sakura.
Aikatsu%21%20-%2030_02.jpg

This theater NEVER get old, give me more !
We're trully at 6 characters auditions , now ..this is really intresting to see how far will they go. I hope the ED is not misleading and that i'll have my 8 char auditions/concerts , it would be great.
Sakura Appeal was alright, it was surprising but alright..

The Eccentric Family 7:
Yaichiro dressing down Kinkaku and Ginkaku was a pretty great moment, and there was some really good humor there. But then things suddenly take a pretty serious turn with that revelation. The show turns on its heel quite well, and that final scene at the well is a really nice one, with some great animation touches (such as the falling drops of water) and good music that really underscores the moment for the brothers. I wasn't really expecting a twist like this, but I'm guessing that there's going to be more to the story revealed and it will all wind up coming together in a different way.

Crocodile

For what it's worth Duckroll, and all those who've made similar posts, I appreciate these introspectives and hypotheses on how the anime industry works.

Shirobako 4

Despite not working in even a remotely related field, I was impressed to how well I felt I could relate to the trials and tribulations of these girls. Good writing starring young adult protagonists, how does it work?

Blonde dude needs to be mauled by a Tiger like yesterday though. I get that we are supposed to hate him but they need to actually do something with him :/

Twintails 4

This felt like a totally legit episode from a totally legit sentai show. There was legit passion here. I'm.........kind of impressed really. This show should be complete garbage but like..........it's not. Weird O_O.

duckroll

I know there are those here who appreciate it, and it's definitely something I enjoy talking about, especially since we can all learn more from each other via other sources, experiences, and perspectives. I'm not the only one talking about these things after all. I was just mainly telling Jex why I'm not convinced that a thread about "serious" discussion on the anime industry by people who don't actually work in it is a great idea on this forum.

If someone else does end up creating a thread with good talking points, we can all participate in it though. :p

Reconguista in G 06

d6a0798a1d.jpg

Chuchumy is the final boss of g reco

This episode...looked really, really good.
And we have our obligatory fight in space that's way to close to Earth and then people start falling towards it and burning up.
Dellensen died (of course, it was pretty obvious he was going to) and Bellri is torn up about it. But kind of like Captain What's-his-face we never really got to see their relationship so who cares.
This ep had so many little things, like the dude wearing sunglasses with his normal suit on or the girl at the ship wheel just crouching up and down like she's Steamboat Willie who also just yells in English randomly
But again the best part is just how little fucks Raraiya gives. I want her to shove that dumb fish into the Space Pope's face.

mdubs

Banned
Still have nothing but good things to say about this show. Performance was great and portrayed Kousei's anxiety very well. I'm going to go ahead and disagree with those who are suggesting this is headed straight into love square territory, Tsubaki already made the indication she looks at Kousei as a brother and hasn't done anything that would suggest she was truthful there. Watari on the other hand had that conversation with Kousei in episode two giving him advice that basically amounted to "go for the girl because you never know". He's also shown to be a flake when it comes to girls so I find it hard to think at this point that he'll seriously compete with Kousei if Kaori shows signs of liking Kousei.

I don't feel like the scenes with the mother were overdone, and considering we are in episode 04 and already getting a lot of the cliche stuff out of the way I'm very optimistic for the direction this series seems to be taking progressing the plot so fast. Sure the manga didn't win the best shonen award in 2013 for nothing.

Shengar

I know there are those here who appreciate it, and it's definitely something I enjoy talking about, especially since we can all learn more from each other via other sources, experiences, and perspectives. I'm not the only one talking about these things after all. I was just mainly telling Jex why I'm not convinced that a thread about "serious" discussion on the anime industry by people who don't actually work in it is a great idea on this forum.

If someone else does end up creating a thread with good talking points, we can all participate in it though. :p

Does a highlighted "this thread will be strictly moderated" warning would not work? But I agree that without any insider, or at least ex-insider we could make any relevant points in the discussion.

If you love twintails , anything is possible !

There isn't an anime more stupid than this show , right now ..but the way it just went sentai on us was just perfect ..
I mean we're at ep 4 !! 4 !!!!!
i wasn't expecting this kind of episode... how stupid how not so serious , HOW ENTERTAINING
Ore%20Twintail%20ni%20Narimasu.%20-%2004.jpg

Go , just do it !!!!
That laptop scene was the stuff of legends, so fresh , so stupid ..

This show is going to be in my AOTY list

Kara no Kyoukai 5
Ho ho ho. There's my payoff for the first four movies. This is definitely not a series for everyone, but it's been enjoyable for me so far.

The art wasn't quite as good in areas as other installments, but considering the movie is more "full-length" than the others, I'll take that trade-off. Besides, the fights looked amazing and the music sounded fantastic.

Tomoe's story was legitimately interesting and had me going for quite a while. Mikiya though, again takes a backseat. He's kind of wearing on me at this point as his existence only seems to be to further cute Shiki moments (not that I'm complaining about those).

Touko is nuts and amazing. When
she "died" I kept thinking, "there's no way she's dead." I figured there would be some cliche, dopey way to get her back into the story. When she appeared again though, it was anything but cliche as the mask of "normalcy" slipped and pure genius was revealed. I thought there would be a cop-out, but in my eyes, it felt like anything but.
That whole sequence of events was fantastic.

Overall, one of the better movies I've seen recently. Really, really well done and felt quite satisfying after the first four movies. Hopefully #6 isn't as much of a let-down as I've heard.

Shiki pillow faces remain the best faces ever.

PSYCHO PASS 2 - 04

Wow
at that death count

Yep the sybil system is full of holes... bigger than this

I'll now await to see our little rookie deny the existence of kamui next week, because there clearly wasn't enough evidence during this episode.

" What do we do ? at this rate the coefficient of everyone will rise beyond repair"

" we wait ...we haven't received fruther orders !"

Commander of the decade , right there.

PP is a funny anime , only people aware of the truth or at least partially aware of the truth are making coherent decisions , the rest of the cast are just morons awaiting their turn to die.

Kamui definitly took that eye out of the inspector, this is doing to turn ugly very very soon , lol

PSYCHO PASS 2 - 04

Wow
at that death count

I was wondering if I wanted to start watching this... and this episode came on after a show I was watching before.... man, that was pretty disturbing ending. Scarred me for like a solid hour.

Thanks for reminding me. But I am more curious about the series I guess.

Shin Sekai Yori 16-20
And here I thought the last episode from before was insane. I'm just amazed about how it was pulled off and how destructive it was. Very impressive reversal

cajunator

Banned
Shin Sekai Yori 16-20
And here I thought the last episode from before was insane. I'm just amazed about how it was pulled off and how destructive it was. Very impressive reversal

Right around there everything goes to shit and the real threat appears. Really great stretch of episodes.

wonzo

Banned
Anime Character Decorated Taxi Company in Hokkaido Goes Bankrupt
Choei Taxi is a taxi company based in Sapporo-city, Hokkaido, which had been famous for its "Ita Taxi" (decorated taxis with anime/game character stickers). Since 2012, it had collaborated with popular anime/game franchise and singers such as Evangelion, Madoka Magica, Biohazard 6, Francesca, Eir Aoi, and ClariS.

Tokyo Shoko Research reported yesterday that the company has received a ruling of the commencement of bankruptcy proceedings from the Sapporo District Court. Its total indebtedness is 253,960,000 yen (about US$2.3 million). When they started the Ita Taxi business, it was successful enough to earn 715,000,000 yen for the business year ending March 2012. However, it has been very low lately because of intense competition with rival companies. For the business year ending March 2014, it had a deficit of 41,590,000 yen.

rest in itasha

Marow

Now that Yama no Susume S2 is finally back on Crunchyroll I decided to catch up. 15 episodes in one go and I still want more. This season is so great! I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it (don't forget season one, it's only little over an hour in length). Feels like it's somehow fallen off the radar for many I talk to.

Clov

Can't wait till the semester's over; I have a big backlog of anime movies I've been meaning to watch, from Yoyo and Nene to Tamako Love Story... and one very odd one that I'm most excited to see. It's a Mamoru Oshii film that I've never actually heard anyone talk about called The Amazing Lives of the Fast Food Grifters. It uses a really weird animation style Oshii called "superlivemation" where photographed people are animated as if they were paper dolls. Despite releasing in 2006, I don't think I've ever heard anything about this film at all. Has anyone here actually seen it?

Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen 5:
The directing in this episode was really good, with nice little moments such as Jun's cutting of the wrapping shifting to Suigintou stepping over the threshold, or the petals and feathers falling to the floor. The latter half of the episode, which focused on Megu and Suigintou's story was pretty dark, but it was executed extremely well, with some especially strong music.

The bits dealing with Jun's life remain consistently good. I loved his reactions to seeing his whole life being made a mess with and trying to take charge of the situation, as well as his interactions with Saito. It's nice to see that as an adult he can be appreciated for what he was made fun of for in middle school. His work situation still sucks, but his life is at least moving forward in a different way.

I laughed more than I probably should have at the newspaper falling on Shinku.

Psycho Pass s2 4

Dat Urobutcher edge (even if he didn't write the episode).

Honestly, I thought it was pretty effective before reading the impressions in here. Shit was tough to watch in a possibly good way.

Syrinx

Shirobako 4

Somebody quits because he's tired of the director's shit, and Touru probably fucked up major but he was too busy hitting on Aoi's friends through her to actually ask her for her help.

The scene with Aoi and her friends drinking was pretty real when Aoi and the two that were actually in the industry were discussing their experiences, as well as Zuka who's trying to break in as a seiyuu. The artist unwinding like "yeah, I love to draw, but shit's fucking demanding and stressful" and the 3D artist (too many characters to remember all their names offhand, forgive me) saying "Yep, my senpai are giving me shit all the time about the quality of my work", etc. Shit's hard, and it can wear you down easily.

And Zuka may have it the toughest. Going to an audition she practiced over and over again, only for a famous seiyuu to show up and (this is for a trashy LN harem show, doesn't she have better roles to do?) probably get the job just as she walked in the door. And then for her audition to go the way it did. Man, life's good once you're in, but getting in requires some heavy fucking luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom