• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Detective Conan 338:
I get that Haibara was on edge, but that Porsche was a completely different color than Gin's (not to mention the license plate). Although given everything that's going on, she should always be keeping vigilante. Agasa is really way too careless. Constantly calling Conan 'Shinichi' in front of other people, and not even getting the danger of them being seen on television. Although it's kind of a coincidence that Akai just happened to be channel surfing at the same time they were shown.

Soma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0k5WPn64T0

Anime Mirai's Death Billiards by Yuzuru Tachikawa is getting a TV series called Death Parade in 2015 by Madhouse!

Oh shit!

Man.

2015 looking stacked for games. Also looking stacked for anime.

cdrQbOR.png

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Amagi Brilliant Park 05
I don't really see the appeal. This episode was exceptionally ugly, with loads of awkward stills and lots of lousy composition. It's maybe the worst the show has looked so far. I also just find Amagai's brand of humor to be both trying and lame. The show seems to have settled on cutesy animals being vulgar or violent to provide comedy and it just doesn't work at all.

Jarmel

Banned
Amagi Brilliant Park 05
I don't really see the appeal. This episode was exceptionally ugly, with loads of awkward stills and lots of lousy composition. It's maybe the worst the show has looked so far. I also just find Amagai's brand of humor to be both trying and lame. The show seems to have settled on cutesy animals being vulgar or violent to provide comedy and it just doesn't work at all.

You missed the point that the background art was supposed to look cheap as it was an unfinished attraction. It looked plasticky, as it was.

This was by far the best the show has looked though due to all the great character animation.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You missed the point that the background art was supposed to look cheap as it was an unfinished attraction. It looked plasticky, as it was.

This was by far the best the show has looked though due to all the great character animation.
Just because a face takes a highly expressive pose doesn't mean there's great character animation.

Amagi is ugly. Flat color work, mostly lousy CGI integration, really awkward framing, and a lot of shit-tier storyboarding that cuts a bunch of corners. It's not an issue of the background art looking "cheap", it's just poorly done.

Midonin

selector spread WIXOSS 05

That explains how the lore was spreading around. Because Fumio
was once a LRIG herself. And Iona may very well be the evil counterpart to Mayu, in our world somehow.
This selector thing spreads a lot further than just our main characters. I'm really curious to see just how much further this rabbit hole goes.

Haikyuu! 21:
I'd been waiting to see something like this for most of the show. It's nice to see Suga finally step up after sitting around on the sidelines for pretty much the whole show, and he definitely shows off a lot of resolve. It also makes sense to have that ace up your sleeve and be able to change up the rhythm of your attacks. I think this episode really established the different methods that both setters use to control the game, and showed how both of them can evolve and get better. There was also some nice strategy on display, and I really enjoyed the moment when they finally broke Oikawa's serve.

Jarmel

Banned
Just because a face takes a highly expressive pose doesn't mean there's great character animation.

Amagi is ugly. Flat color work, mostly lousy CGI integration, really awkward framing, and a lot of shit-tier storyboarding that cuts a bunch of corners. It's not an issue of the background art looking "cheap", it's just poorly done.

I would say it's good character animation when they alternate between different styles in a rather fluid pace. The characters were animated in a number of dynamic poses and styles, and while there wasn't anything grandiose like in episode 2 or 4, the smaller moments more than added up to a high quality episode.

The CGI integration wasn't an issue in this episode nor was the framing. Everything was properly laid out and it all worked. I also strongly disagree about the storyboarding as there were a number of effective cuts that worked primarily due to the storyboarding. The comedic timing primarily worked because of the storyboarding. In fact, the storyboarding was much better than Takemoto's stuff in the first episode, not to mention the 2nd episode.

Midonin

GARO -Seal of Flames- 05

There we go. The three Knights in the intro are Garo, Zoro and Gaia. The show is setting up Alfonso as a future Gaia, but he's not quite there yet. Some nice backstory, a change of point of view, and Leon being temporarily out of action because Zaruba has to collect his due. Knowing this will go for two cours, I look forward to seeing how some of this pays off in the long term.

Ping Pong 10:
What a wonderful match, with both players going all out. I could really feel the pure fun that was on display there. The imagery was excellent. Kazama beginning to fly and remembering his first encounter with Ping Pong was great, and the final exchange between him and Peco was a perfect moment. Sometimes, it can be nice to find something to believe in again after so long.

Brynhildr in the Darkness 01

Ugh... What the hell dude.

Aliens, witches, people who can predict the future, really powerful water pumps and other weird stuff. And there's guys who thinks girls who almost drowned is hot. Ok then.

TUSR

Banned
Brynhildr in the Darkness 01

Ugh... What the hell dude.

Aliens, witches, people who can predict the future, really powerful water pumps and other weird stuff. And there's guys who thinks girls who almost drowned is hot. Ok then.

You and your bad shows.

Midonin

Shigofumi 01-03

The most direct comparison I could make to this is Shinigami no Ballad/Momo, the Girl God of Death. Despite dealing with similar subject matter, the two shows could not be more different. Momo is kindly, Daniel is supportive, and she's generally about making people feel better about themselves. Fumika has no emotions at all, Kanaka is snarky, and there are no happy endings. Which one is better? I really can't say. There's a value in going right for the gut, but there's value in making people feel at peace, too.

Perhaps this was appropriate for Halloween. It's horror, but of a more existential kind. The OP and ED are both fine (I've never really had a problem with ALI Project), and Kana Ueda is doing a good job as Fumika. So much of the show is about her, since we're otherwise dealing with an anthology... I think. There's already some hints flying around that Fumika may be more than a supernatural being. Is it some sort of penance?

It may be a while before my backlog comes back around to a happier anime, but a change of pace like this will make that return much better.

The show never made sense from minute 1, how screwed up was the ending that it had to be specifically singled out?

They're all alive at the end! How the hell did that happen!? They (mostly) all died and then in the post-credits there they are! Happy and living!

phaze

Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 12-13

Didn't we all ...

They spend quite a bit of time introducing the college student
and then revealing it was Kafuka,
only to completely ignore that in the remaining episodes of the season.-_-

I must say that despite some of the best bits yet, I did not enjoy Zoku as much as its predecessor. The extreme repetitiveness of the show got to me and I'm feeling pretty burnt out at the moment. SZS worked because the formula was still fresh and the introductions to the characters served as a good mix up. During the few times Zoku was willing to stray away from its established blueprint it was great but it was not nearly often enough. Oh well, first episode has earned a firm place on my "best comedic episodes" list. Bring back HAMASHO.

Defuser

Amagi Brilliant Park ep 4
wWj53JIl.jpg

ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!!!

I change my mind, Ai Nonaka is the best thing for Tiramie. Tiramie is damn awesome.

javac

Just a little thing that I noticed. It seems that the Neon Genesis license/copyright has finally been transferred fully to Khara/EVA Production Committee. The Gainax trademark no longer exists on the sites. This was also foreshadowed when the Gainax copyright was missing from the 14th volume of the manga. They've added NEON GENESIS to the Eva site now.

http://evangelion.co.jp/

Jarmel

Banned
Just a little thing that I noticed. It seems that the Neon Genesis license/copyright has finally been transferred fully to Khara/EVA Production Committee. The Gainax trademark no longer exists on the sites. This was also foreshadowed when the Gainax copyright was missing from the 14th volume of the manga. They've added NEON GENESIS to the Eva site now.

http://evangelion.co.jp/

So Gainax's death is now complete?

Mature

Ah, so they acknowledge that
Neon Genesis canonically exists before 1.0. :)

And I'm willing to believe that 3.0+1.0 isn't the same as Final.

duckroll

Ah, so they acknowledge that
Neon Genesis canonically exists before 1.0. :)

And I'm willing to believe that 3.0+1.0 isn't the same as Final.

1.0 = Jo
2.0 = Ha
3.0 = Q
3.0+1.0 = :||

NGE -> EoE -> loops -> 1.0 -> 2.0 -> 3.0 -> loops -> 3.0+1.0

itshappening.gif

Brynhildr in the Darkness 03

That's not a lot.

Oh, wait... She forgot the boiling water on the stove...

Well, so they have to contact the hacker witch and then break into the factory that makes those pills. Good thing the MC remembers everything he's ever seen. Some stuff gets revealed and there's no big surprises, but then... Yeah, didn't expect that.

jgminto

Is it me or is the gundam reconguista animation kinda funky? I like the overall look and feel of the show so far. Much more than I did with 00.

When I was watching it felt like it was trying to use an imitation of pre-digital animation style to hide a lack of detail.

Garo 5

I'm enjoying where the story has ended up so far. I like how the two young men are both journeying together with the wiser and more experienced warrior yet their reasons for doing it and skill sets are totally different. León has some experience but struggles to control his new found power and travels along side his father to gain control while taking care of the horrors.
Whereas the Prince is weak, unskilled and doesn't even have an armor to call his own, but has the drive and determination to save his mother and kingdom and learn more about the horror while he travels and trains with his grandfather's comrade.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Brynhildr in the Darkness 04

Hide her in the closet? Haha. That's Scooby Doo levels of a plan.

So they managed to fix the things that happened in the last episode and make the MC forget too. Then there's a mixed onsen, an alien and more transfer students.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom