• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Twintails-4
i1p8HXOFNIghR.jpg
Good fucking lord at that final cut. Straight godly by any standard.

Also the pace for this is insane.

G-Reco-6

Poop is the word of the day.

Since the F S/N thread will be dead for at least another 2 days and it's F/Z related, I guess I'll ask this here:

So from what I've gathered, the Fate route is the closest thing to a "sequel" (yeah, I know that's not how it works) to F/Z due to all the Saber/Kiritsugu/Kirei(?) stuff, while in UBW Saber is far less important. Because we can all assume that ufotable isn't full of idiots and knows that there will be a crapton of people watching F S/N with no experience with the VN, are there expectations that there will be extra stuff added to help wrap up some of those loose ends? Or is it going to be a (mostly) straight adaptation?

Also want to say that the Fate route is a steaming hot pile of garbage. Though it gets a +1 for the most hilariously awful sex scene I've experienced in any form of entertainment.

Parasyte 4

First instance of censorship that I distinctly remember being more explicit in the manga. Still pretty unobtrusive though, which is nice. Everything else more than makes up for it.

The fact I love the presentation of this so much is going to make some future scenes damn painful. Looking forward to them.

Since the F S/N thread will be dead for at least another 2 days and it's F/Z related, I guess I'll ask this here:

So from what I've gathered, the Fate route is the closest thing to a "sequel" (yeah, I know that's not how it works) to F/Z due to all the Saber/Kiritsugu/Kirei(?) stuff, while in UBW Saber is far less important. Because we can all assume that ufotable isn't full of idiots and knows that there will be a crapton of people watching F S/N with no experience with the VN, are there expectations that there will be extra stuff added to help wrap up some of those loose ends? Or is it going to be a (mostly) straight adaptation?

Also want to say that the Fate route is a steaming hot pile of garbage. Though it gets a +1 for the most hilariously awful sex scene I've experienced in any form of entertainment.

No one route will cover up all the loose ends of F/Z. They're different enough in that trying to force one into another could potentially clash with the themes presented in that route. I expect they'll add more scenes to cover information that is only learned in the Fate route, but I doubt they'll start resolving plot threads that shouldn't be there.

Blusby

I'd say that the Fate route is the least "sequel-worthy" to Zero just because the only characters that matter thematically in that route are Shirou and Saber, with the rest of the cast pretty much being unnecessary outside of infodumping, bad skit comedy, and prolonging the story by another several hours of tedium. Also given that Fate/Zero was all about the clashing and turmoil relating to following one's ideology Fate route with its lack of any real moral obstacles doesn't make for much of a satisfying continuation of the story.

The resolution in the Unlimited Blade Works route ties back into Zero's final scene very well and the Heaven's Feel route's tone is the closest to Zero. Heaven's Feel also more frequently switches through points of view between the members of the cast so fans of Zero should feel right at home when they watch it.

It's confirmed that Illya, Kirei, and Gil will be getting new scenes and to be honest I expect Saber to get new scenes as well even though she doesn't need them. I'll just say that the conclusion Saber reaches in the Unlimited Blade Works route is as satisfying as it is in the Fate route, it's just not as explicit.

Also yeah I agree, the Fate route is shit.

cajunator

Banned
For what it's worth Duckroll, and all those who've made similar posts, I appreciate these introspectives and hypotheses on how the anime industry works.

Shirobako 4

Despite not working in even a remotely related field, I was impressed to how well I felt I could relate to the trials and tribulations of these girls. Good writing starring young adult protagonists, how does it work?

Blonde dude needs to be mauled by a Tiger like yesterday though. I get that we are supposed to hate him but they need to actually do something with him :/

Twintails 4

This felt like a totally legit episode from a totally legit sentai show. There was legit passion here. I'm.........kind of impressed really. This show should be complete garbage but like..........it's not. Weird O_O.

Twintails isnt anything more than it presents itself to be, but it knows exactly WHAT that is and it executes it perfectly.

Jarmel

Banned
Amagi Brilliant Park-5
This was without a doubt, the craziest bankruptcy story I have ever seen. Straight out. Molotovs, orcs, moles, a NEET, and an unemployed dragon. There also might have been either a TTGL or Attack on Titan joke. Good fucking lord. This was the best directed episode yet, and possibly the best episode as a whole. There really weren't any weakspots and the humor was topnotch. This is what I expected out of a Fumoffu sequel.
There wasn't any character development this episode and instead it focused on an 'Indiana Jones style' serial. This was the best storyboarded and animated episode of the first five. There were effective uses of alternate designs such as wavy lines or the mascots getting really fearsome during the fight bits. There were some great fighting cuts and reaction faces. Oh man the reaction faces were top tier and there were a lot of them. Even the cheap background art tied into the episode really well.
One thing I've found really interesting so far is that almost all of Kanye's strategies haven't really worked out. In fact, it's kinda driving home the speech in the first episode in that it's not easy to trick kids. The timer is dwindling down and nothing Kanye has done has driven attendance numbers anywhere near where they need to be. Still, even in this episode you can tell how Kanye and the characters have grown closer. They didn't fight each other but rather worked as a team throughout, also Kanye is listening to them more often as well.
igtiIr9Q5NYkI.jpg

Kirito is that you?
Something interesting is that the bankruptcy stuff is from the 2nd book so it looks like the show is just going to use whatever material it has. The episode staff was a mix of KyoAni veterans and rookies such as; 石川知佳 (the scriptwriter) who I can't identify anywhere and the storyboarder, Takuya Yamamura, in that he's been there for awhile but only recently starting storyboarding.
Fucking amazing. If they can carry this through then the show has really hit its groove.

fertygo

Heaven's Feel is the closest thing for "sequel" to what build up in F/Z IMO due to Kirei's final characterization, the frequent mention to Kiritsugu, Ilya playing big part in it, etc.. but Saber is practically irrelevant in here.. her part of resolution is mostly on other two route especially Fate of course.

duckroll

Psycho-Pass 2 - Episode 4

This is without a doubt the best episode of any anime I have ever seen in the history of anime. In fact it was so amazing that I think after this I don't have to watch any anime ever again. There would be no point, what could be better. That is why after watching this I have decided to drop all anime forever. I think I will also scrub my eyes with rubbing alcohol just to be safe. Might also book a hypnotherapy session or two.

WC?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Gkids is still listing new Kaguya showtimes for NA. Some of them are months out though. It doesn't come to Chicago until December, but it is the only listing that has a month long run and "SPECIAL GIVEAWAYS". Probably not worth the wait.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Psycho Pass 2- 4
QUALITY ANIMATION!
Anyway, this is what happen when you too dependent on your technology. Shit happen, and lot of guy and girl in underwear getting blown to pieces. Man, the clean up going to be a chore.

Shirobako 4

Middle finger to Tarou, because he really deserve it.

Being seiyuu is suffering. I want a seiyuu practicing her moaning during my morning trip. Guy in earphone is missing out.

The good news is, while this arc focus on seiyuu, there's no mentioning that Shizuka did a job on eroge, which most seiyuu did since having one or two show is not enough to pay the bill, and that eroge pay better than voicing anime. Most seiyuu usually can have stable pay when they involved in long running anime. For short running anime, after they done, they need to do audition again to ensure they're getting show.

Other seiyuu income come from doing radio show, singing character song and meet with fans event. Of course there's an exception like Kanahana who basically get into many show for each season,. Not to mention she also have two music album.
Character song for anime did not give the loyalty to the seiyuu btw, The loyalty goes to composer and lyricist. Hence why some seiyuu like Mizuki Nana or Maaya Sakamoto being singer/idol as one of their other job.

And then the matter of treating seiyuu like an idol. Loyal fans want seiyuu to keep their purity, not married or having any boyfriend and such. This especially occur to woman, while male usually getting off easy. Reminder that Aki toyosaki got stalked when she's going to TOM H@CK house.

So yeah, tl;dr, being seiyuu is suffering. Salute to the boys and girls doing their job.
Anime industry basically made of blood, sweat, tears, and dream of those who work on it.

Edit: feel free to correct me if i post wrong information, since this is based on animesuki forum and other news site.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Legend of Korra: Book 4, Episode 5:

After a weak episode last time around this is a return to form, indeed I would say this has been the best episode yet, it does help that we are back at the plot once again.
I see they found something for Asami to do and for once it is about enhancing her own story as they pick up the dangling plot thread of her imprisoned dad and it is a testament to the storytelling chops that the relationship has been given a depth and complexity, even in the short amount of time, that I didn't think this series had until this season. I mean Season 3 was good, but it wasn't very nuanced, not like this is. Season 4 is dealing with complex situations on par with real world politics and the series seems to know this. Indeed, we have no siege yet but instead a political stand off where both parties have a point but are not really in the 'right' Also, I have seen complaints that Kuvira is turning tyrannical, this is not true, she has always been an authoritarian and the business of reunification carries with it terrible things. I am also supremely glad that the series is realizing that Sulyin is very much to blame for this situation as this is the grand result of her inaction and it looks like she is going to doom the effort herself. I have to say, I was not expecting Verrick to do a full on face turn or for Sulee to finally snap and turn on her former master for a new one. Probably is not going to stick but god damn her telling Verrick off in such a manner of factually rationale has been one of the highlights of the entire series.
I am really looking forward to next week.

The episode staff was a mix of KyoAni veterans and rookies such as; 石川知佳 (the scriptwriter) who I can't identify anywhere and the storyboarder, Takuya Yamamura, in that he's been there for awhile but only recently starting storyboarding.

The script was written by Chika Ishikawa, one of the few writers at KyoAni. She also wrote the script for episode 8 of Free! Eternal Summer and handled literature duties (organizing the scripts and getting them handed out to everyone). She appears to be a new member of the studio as that's her only other credit thus far.

Also, Yamamura (and this week's AD, Kazumi Ikeda) are at Animation Do, even though there's a good spread of key animators between both studios (likely why Hikiyama assisted as AD). It's easy to remember the three Do directors: River, Sea, and Mountain (Kawanami, Utsumi, Yamamura).

Defuser

This is without a doubt the best episode of any anime I have ever seen in the history of anime. In fact it was so amazing that I think after this I don't have to watch any anime ever again. There would be no point, what could be better. That is why after watching this I have decided to drop all anime forever. I think I will also scrub my eyes with rubbing alcohol just to be safe. Might also book a hypnotherapy session or two.

WC?
Welp, time to eliminate duckroll. His CC level is too high.

WC?
Woah this episode was more effective then expected.

Welp, time to eliminate duckroll. His CC level is too high.
Don't worry duckroll, akane showed us that CC level can drop so don't lose hope !
Just don't seek help from kamui /

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0k5WPn64T0

Anime Mirai's Death Billiards by Yuzuru Tachikawa is getting a TV series called Death Parade in 2015 by Madhouse!

Cool!

Though... it's more a concept suited to what it was Death Billiards, a short story. I have the feeling that it was chosen between al the anime mirai's shorts because it was the best one, which is true, but exactly this one has a concept that I'm not sure if it will adapt to a longer format without problems.

Vito

Banned
Cool!

Though... it's more a concept suited to what it was Death Billiards, a short story. I have the feeling that it was chosen between al the anime mirai's shorts because it was the best one, which is true, but exactly this one has a concept that I'm not sure if it will adapt to a longer format without problems.

I think it was in a Trigger interview (and probably elsewhere) that after a few months the Anime Mirai work rights revert back to the studio that made it and Madhouse is owned by NTV so... I don't think there was that much choosing lol.

G-Reco 6
While this bad show is entertaining in a befuddling sort of way, I don't think I want to watch it anymore. I'll leave it to others to laugh at Tomino's bizarre creation.

Amagi 04

Was it really all that shocking choosing to basically not make money on things would result in them not having money for payroll? Pretty good episode all and all, but I can't help but wonder how the hell that weasel looking guy got all that money to buy all that merch for the anime he loves.

Twintails 04

DjCTrVW.jpg

I know I was.

May the power of twintails rule the world.

phaze

Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 11

Those episodes are getting wackier and wackier. Yamato, Evangelion, Sailor Moon (I think) references all packed into absurd murder mystery story. SZS at its best.

Narag

Cool!

Do it twilight zone style.

CDiggity

Shirobako 1-4
Even though I work in a totally unrelated industry, I look at this animation studio and its employees, and see several personalities that I have dealt with in my work. It's a show that I really identify with and it also highlights several of the issues with the industry and industries similar to it. Very good show so far, hopefully it can keep up the pace.

Twintail 3-4
There are still tails, and they still come in pairs. This is so silly and so enjoyable. The only thing I wish for this series is that it had more animation. I looked up some of the LN illustrations, and they are totally bonkers. Hopefully the finale of episode 4 is a sign that they are gonna ramp things up and do those images justice. Bring on TailYellow!

Cool!

1)Shiranpuri was the best Anime Mirai short.
2)The setup is easy to make into an episodic Twilight Zone style show, unified by the bartender character.

Gundam: Reconguista in G 6:
A much more serious episode than last time, although not without Raraiya's random poop obsession thrown in for good measure.

The fighting in this episode was pretty good. I really enjoyed that battle between Bellri and Dellensen, and I liked the ending scenes with
Bellri having to rush down to try and save genius Klim after he had gotten himself close to death again, and then being numb after returning to the ship and laying down.
This should set the tone for where Bellri goes from here.

Your Lie in April 4
Everything about this show is so incredibly ham-handed. And the bloody violence continues to be a really distracting tonal inconsistency. Is it supposed to be funny the 30th time the main character gets beaten bloody?

Amagi Park - 05

Dropped.

Just utterly boring and maybe a tenth of the jokes are even remotely funny. It's also gotten clear that this show isn't about some semi-realistic portrayal of reinvigorating a theme park, instead it's about some wacky, random stuff taking place that's only faintly connected to the theme park idea.

I recall some preview mentioning that the LN is garbage and by now I would assume that's true. There's no amount of proper directing that'll make this interesting to me.

manfestival

Is it me or is the gundam reconguista animation kinda funky? I like the overall look and feel of the show so far. Much more than I did with 00.

Amagi Brilliant Park - 5

This episode was freaking hilarious. Like, the faces of the mascots in this episode man. Seriously, I was laughing my way throughout this entire episode. Those mascots are so phsycotic they'd probably scare the animatronics from Five Nights at Freddy's right out of their metal endoskeletons.

And don't even get me started on the parts with
the Otaku Otter (That was an otter right?).

Great episode all around. Tons of fun.

2)The setup is easy to make into an episodic Twilight Zone style show, unified by the bartender character.

With the name chosen, Death Parade, I'm sure it will be a "parade" of dead people, where every new episode a new guy appears, so yeah, episodic. It just that the formula if treated without care can fall on the repetitive side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom