• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Fairy Tail 206

Always a caveat with these things. That's why it's vital to keep the Spirits as they were - because the universe kills them otherwise. Magic has a way of enforcing order within itself, I guess. Natsu and Taurus had their brawl, which was fun with the Spirit World physics, but Virgo vs Yukino/Lucy/Levy in the library was the bulk of the episode, and pretty fun. Don't worry, Lucy. You're in the same year as Kaoruko and Sonico. Chubby is in at this time of year.

Oh, hi, Princess Mimorin, fancy seeing you back.

Future card buddyfight Episode 43 (engDub)
tumblr_necal2ME6I1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Wow great premise for what the Disaster Force are after due to adults causing disasters around the world.
with even the buddy police being pretty incompetent it almost is a direct example of what adults cant do

Captain Answer and the mech deck is alright though kind of cheesy that it can banish cards and fully repel attacks. I enjoyed it.

David and best stuco president Shido teaming up made it an epic episode. Two great personalities to duel Tasuku, and Ryouga's commentary added on too. Its going to be fun

Steins;Gate - The Movie

All right, so...that was okay. It could have been a lot worse, so I'll give it that. But my problem with this movie is that I really don't see a reason why it had to be made.

I mean, despite the film taking place after the events of the series and OVA, it doesn't really advance the plot in many aspects, and we don't learn too many new things, aside from one particular thing near the end of the movie, which...is really confusing.

So Kurisu was the one that gave Okabe his mad scientist delusions. Which is why he acted like that throughout the entire series.

So...if that's the case, how come before Okabe went through all the world lines, he didn't recognize Kurisu as the girl he met in his past? You mean to tell me that after all those years, he outright forgot about the fact that she kissed him on the lips? There's no scene in episode 1 of the series where he goes "Hey...I remember her from somewhere" or something along those lines. He mentions that she published a paper he knew about, but that's it! No mention or hint of what happened during the last 10 minutes of this movie at all. So yeah, they probably didn't think about that scene through when they wrote this thing.

All in all, the movie is okay. It at least doesn't
retcon the happy ending of the series, so that's a plus.

But there's nothing in this movie that's explicitly a must-see, for those that want a real continuation of Steins;Gate. It's just a thing that's there, and that's all it is. Not great enough for me to recommend, not terrible enough for me to recommend you to stay away from it. The movie's just okay.

That's probably just the choice of Steins;Gate.

HappinessCharge Precure 38

HCPC gave us something that hasn't happened since the 2nd Max Heart movie. Precure vs Precure.

HCPC gave us something that hasn't happened since Heartcatch relegated super forms to Finisher only attacks. Having a full fight based in their super forms. This is something I hope continues after HappinessCharge, since I consider what Heartcatch did to super forms was the worst thing it contributed to the franchise.

Also there was animation, because generals don't deserve that shit.

Thank you Happinesscharge Precure. You have shiawased the fuck out of me.

....That being said, that new finisher... it had idoru antics. Next season is definitely going to be AikatsuCure. I will steak my guess on that. It did look rather cool though.

Oh well, there goes a subplot out of the way! And I'm already not fond of where they're taking that one to. Not exactly in a bad way really, but more like some dreams were crushed right now.

Parasyte Episode 4

That was a good episode. The fight didn't drag and concluded quickly. Also Ryouko still a badass wherever she goes. I have to say it's really nice to see parents that are actually realistic for once, thank god. And the Dad is fuckin based for saying Shinichi may be spanking the monkey lol :) Loving the Op and Ending as usual, can't wait for next week. AOTS for me.

Flowers of Evil 12:
I just can't look away, even though I kind of want to at places. This is really not going to end well for anyone. It's quite interesting to see Kasuga's changed persona, and the way the relationship between him and Nakamura has flipped around compared to back at the beginning of the series.

The show continues to excel at building up its oppressive atmospheres. I could feel it as soon as Kasuga walked into the classroom. That's certainly what walking into a classroom could feel like for me at that age. We also see Saeki trying to fit back in with her normal public face on, but now we know for sure that something isn't quite right there. I'm kind of both looking forward to escaping from the abyss that this show threatens to take me into, but I'll also be sad not to have any more of it to watch after the next episode.

Amagi Brilliant Park 5

Hilarious as hell episode. Wasn't expecting that swerve with
the dragon
after the stinger at the end of episode 4. I totally forgot Kanye got magic powers since it has no bearing on his managerial skills (which may not be as good as he thinks since he's nearly bankrupt the park). He sounds convincing as all hell which is probably more important that any actual skillset.

I can certainly empathize with Dornell here.

fertygo

HappinessCharge Precure 38

HCPC gave us something that hasn't happened since the 2nd Max Heart movie. Precure vs Precure.

HCPC gave us something that hasn't happened since Heartcatch relegated super forms to Finisher only attacks. Having a full fight based in their super forms. This is something I hope continues after HappinessCharge, since I consider what Heartcatch did to super forms was the worst thing it contributed to the franchise.

Also there was animation, because generals don't deserve that shit.

Thank you Happinesscharge Precure. You have shiawased the fuck out of me.

....That being said, that new finisher... it had idoru antics. Next season is definitely going to be AikatsuCure. I will steak my guess on that. It did look rather cool though.

Oh well, there goes a subplot out of the way! And I'm already not fond of where they're taking that one to. Not exactly in a bad way really, but more like some dreams were crushed right now.
I found the use of "win while enemy holding over brainwash" trope is lame as shit tho :(

Why we just not getting all-out fight a la Dark vs Moonlight :(

Midonin

PriPara 18

pripara18_mp4_snapshot_03_42_2014_11_01_00_26_0.png

I'm afraid there's no denyin'
I'm just a dandy lion

PriPara just threw down the gauntlet. Only iM@S has what this show just offered. And even then, the character only appeared in one episode for a cameo. Leona, the cute, pink-haired younger of the West twins...
is a crossdresser. PriPara has no problem with accepting boys if they can stand among the idols, it seems.

Male idols are nothing new to the Pretty Rhythm franchise - they even got a new album from Rainbow LIve - but idols like this are a rarer kind. Dorothy's a pretty great big sister, I must say, and the new Making Drama that debuted here was pretty fun. Nothing that approaches the crazy levels of Rainbow LIve's stuff, but there's at least one more cour and a movie after this, so I'll believe.

The scene with Sophie was nice and calm, and I liked Lala getting the "golden ticket" for breaking the rules 200 times. At this rate she'll easily crack 1,000 by the time series is over. It makes me wonder why Gloria wishes to shut down the independent city state of idols. It's a progressive, welcoming place, even if some parts of it seem a little shady.

Which makes me wonder if Bear and Rabbit happen to know the guys over at Amagi. This is an interesting season we're living in.

Ojamajo Doremi - 32

An episode to determine who will be Student Council Presi-oh I'm sorry, CLASS president. And that's pretty much all there was to this episode. Honestly, this was another episode that I found to be pretty skippable :|

Clov

First of all, I've had a great Halloween. Yes, I'm pretty drunk. Yet I've found a bit of news that I'm sure few will care about, but I just feel the urgent need to share with you all. A very strange movie has been picked up by a company I've never heard of. That movie: a 70s anime film by Mushi Pro called Belladonna of Sadness. The company: some company called Cinelicious. What's exciting about this? They're doing a full restoration from the 35mm print, to ready it for both a theatrical and home media release in 2015! It's a very odd movie, but an interesting one to say the least. The surreal scenes in it are excellent. Anyway, I'm excited!

Source: http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?37107-Cinelicious-Pics-to-distribute-BELLADONNA-OF-SADNESS

cajunator

Banned
First of all, I've had a great Halloween. Yes, I'm pretty drunk. Yet I've found a bit of news that I'm sure few will care about, but I just feel the urgent need to share with you all. A very strange movie has been picked up by a company I've never heard of. That movie: a 70s anime film by Mushi Pro called Belladonna of Sadness. The company: some company called Cinelicious. What's exciting about this? They're doing a full restoration from the 35mm print, to ready it for both a theatrical and home media release in 2015! It's a very odd movie, but an interesting one to say the least. The surreal scenes in it are excellent. Anyway, I'm excited!

Source: http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?37107-Cinelicious-Pics-to-distribute-BELLADONNA-OF-SADNESS

Ive heard of this movie before. Probably from here.
Ive never been drunk. whats it like?

Clov

Ive heard of this movie before. Probably from here.
Ive never been drunk. whats it like?

There's just no worries, no stress. Everything's good. I'm more uncoordinated than usual, but I can still function. I feel very happy!

Anyway, my fiance wants me to go sleep. Good night!

cajunator

Banned
There's just no worries, no stress. Everything's good. I'm more uncoordinated than usual, but I can still function. I feel very happy!

Anyway, my fiance wants me to go sleep. Good night!

So drunk is like when I am watching cute anime in my room!

Branduil

Noragami 12

Nice to see the climactic episode be the best-animated. I feel like this arc could have worked better if we knew more about Yato and specifically what changed him, though.

Noragami is a pretty pedestrian story with a premise that's been done to death in manga/anime, but it's well-executed enough to stay enjoyable the whole way through. I can't say I'll remember it a couple of months from now but it didn't feel like a waste of time.

Soma

Noragami 12
Noragami is a pretty pedestrian story with a premise that's been done to death in manga/anime, but it's well-executed enough to stay enjoyable the whole way through. I can't say I'll remember it a couple of months from now but it didn't feel like a waste of time.

Kinda the same mindset I came away with from the show too.

Definitely a very competent production and should be praised for that, but something about it just keeps it from being truly memorable.

Quasar

Kinda the same mindset I came away with from the show too.

Definitely a very competent production and should be praised for that, but something about it just keeps it from being truly memorable.

I came away desperately wanting a S2 and kind of bitter that shitty Hamatora got a second season. Though at least there is the manga I guess.

Even the anime original ending was decent which is a rarity.

Soma

Yeah I really need to get around to reading the Noragami manga.

Word around the manga thread is that it gets pretty good after around where the anime ended. A second season would be very welcome.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Chaika s1 1-4

Been watching this due to everyone raving about season 2. It's OK. Enjoy chaika as a character but everyone else has been kinda... flat? Fredrika seems like she could be fun.

It also has that Japanese take on fantasy look which I just don't like as an art style.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Psycho Pass 2 - 4

Oh come on. I know this show is meant to highlight the problems of a society run by a system that says who is a danger or not, but they seriously thought the best idea in a situation where on cop goes completely radio silent in a building that suddenly became sealed and stress levels are through the roof is to just stand around outside? When the Enforcers called for assistant they weren't asking for help to stand around, they were perfectly capable of doing that themselves. Maybe it's because no one had to handled a hostage situation in so long underSybil System they've forgotten how to deal with them, oh wait, there was one is the very first episode OF BOTH SEASONS!

Seriously, in conclusion, just leave all the investigation work to Akane, she's the only competent person in the show. No wonder she is AnimeGAF's waifu.

cajunator

Banned
Chaika s1 1-4

Been watching this due to everyone raving about season 2. It's OK. Enjoy chaika as a character but everyone else has been kinda... flat? Fredrika seems like she could be fun.

It also has that Japanese take on fantasy look which I just don't like as an art style.

There is a story that develops. Season two has gotten off to a great start. All I can say is its worth watching to see what happens. There is a point to it.

Antiwhippy

I'm still enjoying it, so I'll finish it for sure, just hoping that it gets better.

Bonjour sweet love patisserie 1-2

Bishies, roses, red head male tsunderes, bitchy oujos... which is kind of what I'm hoping for honestly.

If I have to fault it, and it's a pretty big fault, is that there's no goddamn cooking in this cooking anime. Which is kinda what I'm here for. Random slashes in the air and biting a chocolate isn't how patisserie is made from what I know.

DiGiKerot

Project K Series Thoughts

The characters apart from maybe Shiro and Kuro, are pretty bland. No one receives any sort of character development or backstory. For instance, how did Anna end up with HOMRA, and why she is so loyal to the Red King or how did Neko gain her powers? These are never explained throughout the show.

The movie, once it becomes widely available, goes into at least some of this (there's lots of Anna/HOMRA stuff, at least), but for every question it answers, it actually ends up posing at least two new ones. I mean, they've have announced that continuation project now, and the movie proves to be less a resolution to the first series as it is set-up for what is to follow.

Antiwhippy

Encouragement of climb s2 1-4

Yup, definitely more of what I wanted out of season 1, which is that the gang will move onto more difficult mountains. The girls are still pretty bland as far as characters go but they nailed the mountaineering aspect, and the mountain scenery is great.

Definitely fulfills my need of a girls doing somewhat niche hobbies show
with Yuri undertones.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal Episode 9:

While I have many misgivings about this incarnation of Sailor Moon, I will still say that since they are using the manga as a much closer blueprint, this show has some of the better characters. Maybe that is cheating a little but at least I don't have any dumb comedy spots undercutting the drama and melancholy. Also, it is nice to see that her grief and tears are borne out of genuine sadness for the events that are transpiring instead of her being s selfish brat. If I have not stated it lately, I really fucking hate 1990s Anime Usagi, and it is refreshing to see a much better version in action. Although I am kind of sad that Mamoru will never see the superior costume in the version, ah well. Anyway, the episode was alright, felt like it lingered on the sadness for a bit too long. Also, good to see that Sailor Venus has her proper place this time around.
Minako was the actual leader of the Scouts and indeed she will be the second in command if they hold true to the script.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Season 2, Episode 5

One of my favorite parts of Log Horizon is seeing this series twist MMORPG tropes and reintegrating them under vastly different circumstances.
Indeed, this episode we finally get the full on details on the Royal Guard. Once they were just the automatic defense mechanism to prevent PVP but now they have a history, a deep connection to the city, and profound ties to the Kunie Clan. This also presents a most vexing problem, how do you kill somebody who has cloaked themselves in the mantle of something that was literally designed to be more powerful then you? I am digging some of the chracter growth they are giving to Akatsuki, but she is also kind of suffering from Mikasa syndrome. I get it, you want Shiroe staff, please stop reminding me. More enjoyable has been the further characterization of Lenessia and surprisingly Soujirou. At any rate, we are finally at one of the spots compromised by Episode 1 and it looks like Shiore and Akatsuki are going to let what dreams may come for a little bit.

Pooya

psycho pass 2-4

Definitely worse than the first season, lmao Tow Ubukata is the worst.

G-reco 6

well shit, I liked that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom