• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overman King Gainer Ep. 5

This was kind of decent? There wasn't even anything glaringly sexist. The attempt to humanize the villain is cheap but effective. Hard to believe that Ichiro Okouchi wrote this one. He's credited with the first five episodes so there's some hope the show will continue to improve somewhat until his next, episode 11.

TUSR

Banned
Steins;Gate 8

Oh boy, we are sending shit back 17 years now. This is really going to fuck stuff up.

Just. One. More. Episode.

I get the feeling the cast isn't together as casually as expected. AKA time travelers.

Faris seems evil, part-timer seems evil, Okarin is changing, something has always seemed off about Mayuri...

Im more paranoid than Okarin now.

yami4ct

Space Dandy 25

Man, that sure was a disappointing episode. Some great concepts in here. I love the cold open and the way Dandy never spoke throughout the whole case (the big reveal why worked pretty well). The problem is, once they introduced the the reality breaking mcguffin of the pionium, any interest I had in the actual case vanished. It's impossible for me to care about a mystery when the writers can change the rules whenever they feel like it. All that would be fine if the episode was funny, but it just wasn't. It was incredibly dry and what few jokes were there didn't really work for me.

On the positive side, I love the colors and character designs used in this episode. It's one of the best things Dandy does and it was on full display here. Also, what the pionium reveal started at the end could mean for the last episode and the series as a whole could make the finale absolutely brilliant.

cajunator

Banned
I don't know how some of you can watch so much. I barely have the stomach to watch one bad anime at a time.

i can stomach a lot. Far more than my stomach can actual food, which is why Im a skinny little bastard.

Honestly, Takemoto is a great director, possibly the best director at KyoAni and Shimo is a fairly decent writer. Shimo is a shitload better than Jukki Hanada. So the writing and directing seemingly have good chemistry with each other, as the works Takemoto and Shimo have done together have been highly lauded. I've been rewatching Fumoffu and it's really well directed in how Takemoto uses visuals to explain what people are thinking, nowhere near as advanced as Hyouka. There is a quick snippet in a recent PV that shows elements of that with the MC so I expect that to continue.

I have heard that the LN is a bit of a mess. Not so much in fanservice, which I really don't give a flying fuck about (not to mention people are taking the fanservice out of context). It's not like KyoAni hasn't done tons of lewd shit in the past but people have somehow become attached to their impressions of KyoAni doing non-lewd stuff like K-ON. The issues I've heard about in regards to the LN, have to do with the narrative being a bit aimless at times, as well as the pacing. It seems like however that KyoAni is doing an extensive rewrite of the stuff. How extensive? Who knows, although one of the key art images had many of the characters from the LN so I doubt it will be a completely new work.

The art direction isn't as strong as Hyouka but I doubt we'll ever see art direction and animation on that level from KyoAni ever again (in a TV format) or certainly not for a super long time. Also I doubt that it would work in a comedic series like AmiBri but whatever.

That said, the manga has a few good moments in there that I could easily see expanded into really great scenes in the anime. One being where Kanye is sitting down on a bench thinking and the other being when Kanye is chiding the employees of the park. He should make for a fairly interesting lead just because of how much of an asshole he can be.

So in short, I think it's going to be a bit more melancholic than what the PVs have portrayed and I do expect it to be good, despite the wailing of posters on this forum.

hyouka is more thought out perhaps than other KyoAni works but that it is thought of as their best work is kind of damning to them as a studio because Hyouka really isnt all that great to begin with. Competent surely but overrated to a degree. KyoAni's popularity has always lay in their animation quality above all all other things.

Give me a fucking break, Trava and Dead Leaves aren't good enough for people to be crying over. Good god.

I do think there are problems with the critical analysis in the Western anime community but some of it is just the nature of the beast. Unless I start learning Japanese, there's only so much I can read. I would love to read some stuff about the production process, there's a big book from one of the guys from Trigger on it. But it's in Japanese.

Reading that Tamerlane's is a bit funny, because its remind me the practice of peer pressure in this threads lol. Its common knowledge few poster in here can drive most of thread resident's opinion, and rightfully so because those poster visibly had ability to construct their opinion better than the rest and had more knowledge about the medium.. but I'll bail out real quick if I ever seeing critic platform that crank it up to 1000 like probably that dude want.

I already pissed as it is reading some post in this thread that forming opinion with just reading other people's post, its damn fine to avoid certain thing that you probably would dislike from what your respected "critic" said, but spare me your opinion that don't watch shit. /not related rant.

Btw personally I always trying can enjoy both side of world.. I want know enough to can respect the arthouse stuff but I also don't want to lose ability to enjoy fim where you watching Denzel Washington smashing random fellow.

Madoka 4-5

So its pretty bleak but expected. One thing I'm really not liking are the weird cuts and edits. Like random close up shots of face, then some turning and other angled shot then back. I dont really see the purpose of these other than to annoy.

Episode 5 had some great action animation towards the end. I dont trust that cat.

Shaft is known for crazy artistic cuts and angles. They are experimental to a fault. Often it is to hide production flaws but it has become their identity in the process. I will aknowledge it isnt everyones cup of java.

Two new anime projects were announced today. Give me all the original magical girl series you can create, anime writers.

Ooooh. Gimme!

Branduil

Mushishi 4

ibnc5nffFjD2qV.jpg
i8cVqrmBq9SAQ.jpg

ibpGhAhZspaiFr.jpg

cajunator

Banned

the tale of the dorkfish and the dragon

I'll admit from my amateur impressions I write I use the checklist summary to describe my views because that seems to be the typical thing to do. However, I try to stay away from that and write about what impressed me and what did not as that is what impressions are meant to be. The thing about this article/blog is that Tamerlane goes into detail about what he finds wrong about the typical anime reviews but does not go into what could make them better. What is he looking for in a critic to elevate their review above the rest?

I may not be as experienced with anime as the more prominent posters here on animeGAF and I'm no wizard with words but I'm honestly pondering what makes a good review and what I can do to improve myself. I'm not looking to judge anime as a higher form of art, I watch it as a hobby and review it as such. I post impressions to let others know my taste and perhaps help others judge if an anime is worthy of their time, nothing more.

I think Tamerlane doesnt like the bullet point scoring method of criticizing anime, but thats how a lot of movie critics score a work as well. Maybe he likes the free flowing thought sort of criticism ghat doesnt try to quantify a work but presents thinking points of discussion. I will admit I like those sorts of reviews better.

Shia LaBeouf needs to team up with SHAFT.

please God NO. Keep him away from my precious anime :(

Steins;Gate 6-7

There is a lot going on in this show because of time-stuff.

Okabe seems to become more and more shaken with what he is doing and the Jelly Man incident.

Almost won the lottery, something must have influenced the change in the numbers when moving world lines.

We learn that Okabe can retain memories when the world line shifts. Which was foreshadowed in the first 6 minutes of the show.

We still don't know exactly what or who the part-timer is, what the satellite is, and who John Titor really is.

Going to watch at least 1 more tonight and call it a day. Im at the point where I am enjoying the show so much I might pace myself some more on future viewings.

ill just say that this is one of those shows that attempts to answer most of your questions and does it admirably well.

Bodacious Space Pirates 1

Seriously though, what the fuck do "legal pirates" even do?

Its like an interactive travelling broadway show. Things do get more "real" later on.

Tokyo Esp end

Man, they rushed through everything. This could have been so good too :(

Tired of stuff I like getting crappy adaptation. There's been like 8 series this year alone. Ah well, that's the industry for you. Or maybe I just read too much manga.

cajunator

Banned
Steins;Gate 8

Oh boy, we are sending shit back 17 years now. This is really going to fuck stuff up.

I get the feeling the cast isn't together as casually as expected. AKA time travelers.

Faris seems evil, part-timer seems evil, Okarin is changing, something has always seemed off about Mayuri...

Im more paranoid than Okarin now.

This is when the timeline started to get muddled. You shouldnt actively mess with past events in such major ways but it will soon be apparent just how much damage was done. Butterfly effects are frightening for a reason.

Crocodile

Space Dandy 25

Man, that sure was a disappointing episode. Some great concepts in here. I love the cold open and the way Dandy never spoke throughout the whole case (the big reveal why worked pretty well). The problem is, once they introduced the the reality breaking mcguffin of the pionium, any interest I had in the actual case vanished. It's impossible for me to care about a mystery when the writers can change the rules whenever they feel like it. All that would be fine if the episode was funny, but it just wasn't. It was incredibly dry and what few jokes were there didn't really work for me.

On the positive side, I love the colors and character designs used in this episode. It's one of the best things Dandy does and it was on full display here. Also, what the pionium reveal started at the end could mean for the last episode and the series as a whole could make the finale absolutely brilliant.

Just as a refresher, this isn't the first time they've discussed Pyonium (or however its spelled). The events of episodes 10 and the final battle of episode 13 are all due to Pyonium for example.

TUSR

Banned
This is when the timeline started to get muddled. You shouldnt actively mess with past events in such major ways but it will soon be apparent just how much damage was done. Butterfly effects are frightening for a reason.

Steins;Gate 9

Changing events further back through the D-mail seem to have more and more caustic effects to the world lines.

They've now changed cities around, even if its just stores in the city. The IBN5100 doesn't seem to exist, and Faris's dad being around and no not seeing the Butler I can presume what she sent backwards.

How long until Okarin snaps? The guy has the weight of the world and time on his shoulders.

cajunator

Banned
Regarding rewatching anime works, there are several that I have watched over and over again. I ghink thats what leaves me with such an ever growing backlog. I often prefer revisiting my favorite works again and again rather than the more disposeable crunchyroll model of view and move on.
it does provide deeper insight and appreciation for certain Works (my favorites are well documented and noted here)

TUSR

Banned
Regarding rewatching anime works, there are several that I have watched over and over again. I ghink thats what leaves me with such an ever growing backlog. I often prefer revisiting my favorite works again and again rather than the more disposeable crunchyroll model of view and move on.
it does provide deeper insight and appreciation for certain Works (my favorites are well documented and noted here)

Even if I know a show is objectively better than something I have previously watched, I find myself more drawn to the comfortable. I've watched Gundam Wing at least 3 times over the past few years. It might not be my favourite, but the nostalgia from watching it as a kid drives me towards older viewed shows.

The more accessible anime has become over the years has made newer shows more disposable, for me at least. When I watched anime about a decade or so ago, before my hiatus, getting your hands on something meant more.

Narag

Just as a refresher, this isn't the first time they've discussed Pyonium (or however its spelled). The events of episodes 10 and the final battle of episode 13 are all due to Pyonium for example.

I noticed it was mentioned in an episode I watched tonight as well. Not sure which though, possibly the dance contest.

yami4ct

Yeah I know. They've done a good job integrating that into the plot and it's raised some interesting questions about the Dandy multiverse. By "introducing" pyonium, I only meant it as a reference to its introduction int the case.

Akame ga Kill 13

A pretty standard setup episode. Not much happens, but it did do a good job of reminding me why this show is the only one from last season that kept me super enthralled week to week.

For one thing, its not afraid to humanize its villains. Sure, they're all terrible homicidal maniacs, but so are our heroes so that's not entirely new. The show could have just left them as crazy jerks so we don't question the morality of our heroes as much, but that would have been super boring. The time and attention it puts on drawing parallels to both sides really does a great job just making those characters more fun to watch and really helps place the heroes firmly in a moral grey area, which is really interesting to see for what would otherwise be a pretty standard action show.

The other thing that really defines the show is its use of humor. It certainly hits most of the time, and that contributes to the overall sort of black comedy tone of the show. They aren't afraid to interrupt a serious moment with humor, and sometime's that's good. Tatsumi interrupting Lubba's speech by calling him an ass was a pretty good reminder of the relationship those two have. The problem is, it does that almost too often. It almost feels like the writer is worried about letting the series get too serious. There are some good dramatic moments that should be given time to hit, but are immediately interrupted by a bit of slapstick. It's getting better at this over time it seems, but there's definitely some tonal inconstancies that could buttoned up a bit.

The fights are really fun and unique too, even if a bit marred by spotty animation here and there, so that's a huge plus as well. Still my favorite show going right now.

Gazoinks

Steins;Gate 8

Haha, just wait. I stayed up till like 2 am to marathon finish this when I watched it. Always good to see more folks watching S;G.

I'm not doing episode reviews, but I've been watching Paranoia Agent with a friend lately. It's great, of course. Just finished ep. 6, which was probably the best yet. Intense!

The other thing that really defines the show is its use of humor. It certainly hits most of the time, and that contributes to the overall sort of black comedy tone of the show. They aren't afraid to interrupt a serious moment with humor, and sometime's that's good. Tatsumi interrupting Lubba's speech by calling him an ass was a pretty good reminder of the relationship those two have. The problem is, it does that almost too often. It almost feels like the writer is worried about letting the series get too serious. There are some good dramatic moments that should be given time to hit, but are immediately interrupted by a bit of slapstick. It's getting better at this over time it seems, but there's definitely some tonal inconstancies that could buttoned up a bit.

Eh I dunno about that.
But I do agree that it does seem to happen too often, but you need that kind of thing in grimdark series like that.
Think my favorite example is Puck from Berserk who is like that kind of moment in a character form, he only exists to make it so that the story wouldn't be too dark (his words)
Although I would say Berserk is far darker and heavier on the gloom and despair then Akame ga Kill!, and the anime has removed quite a few of the torture scenes and stuff like that (to build the Esdese apologists ranks?)

TUSR

Banned
Haha, just wait. I stayed up till like 2 am to marathon finish this when I watched it. Always good to see more folks watching S;G.

I'm not doing episode reviews, but I've been watching Paranoia Agent with a friend lately. It's great, of course. Just finished ep. 6, which was probably the best yet. Intense!

Steins;Gate is still at the point where everything is still coming together or being deconstructed. Its got its hooks in me, but I know binge watching it wouldn't be the best idea.

yami4ct

Eh I dunno about that.
But I do agree that it does seem to happen too often, but you need that kind of thing in grimdark series like that.
Think my favorite example is Puck from Berserk who is like that kind of moment in a character form, he only exists to make it so that the story wouldn't be too dark (his words)
Although I would say Berserk is far darker and heavier on the gloom and despair then Akame ga Kill!, and the anime has removed quite a few of the torture scenes and stuff like that (to build the Esdese apologists ranks?)

Comedy is inherently subjective, but I have found when AGK tries to be funny, most of the time I do laugh. Whether the moment works in the larger context most of the time is something that's way harder to quantify.

I do agree that the series does need that. If this show was deadly self serious, I would have been bored of it ages ago. Puck is certainly a good comparison, but I think AGK's humor tends to work with me better than Puck does. I tend to find Puck to be a bit too much, but I think Berserk tends to handle the humor/drama balance leagues better than AGK does.

From the New World Ep. 1

It's got a nice visual style and the premise is intriguing, but I'm not digging the narrative too much so far. Not to say it's bad. The scenes with the kids interacting with each other are kind of annoying since there is always someone raising their voice. Comes across a little too hard in trying to establish their character traits and group dynamic.
What a weird night gown. Not sure if pandering or just eccentric fashion design.

cajunator

Banned
Even if I know a show is objectively better than something I have previously watched, I find myself more drawn to the comfortable. I've watched Gundam Wing at least 3 times over the past few years. It might not be my favourite, but the nostalgia from watching it as a kid drives me towards older viewed shows.

The more accessible anime has become over the years has made newer shows more disposable, for me at least. When I watched anime about a decade or so ago, before my hiatus, getting your hands on something meant more.

yeah there are some shows I have literally marathoned dozens of times and movies Ive watched a hundred. Im not quite as adventurous as some, but I dont drag myself through nearly so much anime that I would consider awful just to add to the number either. My enjoyment time is very limited so I make the most of it.

Same. When I first watched Steins;Gate I was so drawn into it that I had to marathon it straight ghrough. Matter of fact, i waited until I owned both parts of it before starting because I just had a great feeling that it would be one of those special stories. I was not disappointed!

I think Tamerlane doesnt like the bullet point scoring method of criticizing anime, but thats how a lot of movie critics score a work as well. Maybe he likes the free flowing thought sort of criticism ghat doesnt try to quantify a work but presents thinking points of discussion. I will admit I like those sorts of reviews better.

I'm trying to find the balance of impressions and thoughts without posting too many spoilers. On one hand I want to invoke a discussion from those who have seen an anime but on the other get those who haven't seen it interested.

yami4ct

Chelsea > black and white Mine > Esdeath > anime color Mine > Leone > Najenda > Akame

I would probably switch Akame and Leone (because I really don't like her much at all), but I'd probably agree with that otherwise. I for some reason find the comedic stuff with Akame enough to find her charming even though she's otherwise pretty much worthless.

TUSR

Banned
yeah there are some shows I have literally marathoned dozens of times and movies Ive watched a hundred. Im not quite as adventurous as some, but I dont drag myself through nearly so much anime that I would consider awful just to add to the number either. My enjoyment time is very limited so I make the most of it.

Same. When I first watched Steins;Gate I was so drawn into it that I had to marathon it straight ghrough. Matter of fact, i waited until I owned both parts of it before starting because I just had a great feeling that it would be one of those special stories. I was not disappointed!

I left off at episode 9 because the hook with the stores changing around in the city is going to make me come back to it tomorrow night. Often when im not completely enjoying an anime I leave off on an episode with a good cliffhanger, but Stein;Gate really leaves me wanting more after each episode. Its been a while since a show has done this for me. Madoka didn't have that hook every episode that Steins does.

Looking through MAL completed titles, the last time I was this drawn to a show was FLCL. (KLK doesn't count)

Just found out that GARNiDELiA is doing the OP for Gundam: G no Reconguista. I really need to get up to date on the UC.

cajunator

Banned
From the New World Ep. 1

It's got a nice visual style and the premise is intriguing, but I'm not digging the narrative too much so far. Not to say it's bad. The scenes with the kids interacting with each other are kind of annoying since there is always someone raising their voice. Comes across a little too hard in trying to establish their character traits and group dynamic.

You literally have no idea about the complexity and mystery of the story that is about to unfold. Like Steins;Gate, nothing in this show is really frivolous. It is all setting up something in particular that you will come to appreciate more and more as the show goes on. This is not an episodic slice of life show. It is an intricately woven tapestry of a story and damn its one of my favorites. The initial episodes are a bit disjointed and disorienting but stick with it a bit and where it is going will become clear. Then you might be hooked like I was.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Thoraxes

FYI peeps, Kill la kill Volume 3 and Volume 4 (Both BD and DVD) went up for pre-order today alongside DVDs for Silver Spoon S2!

cajunator

Banned
I left off at episode 9 because the hook with the stores changing around in the city is going to make me come back to it tomorrow night. Often when im not completely enjoying an anime I leave off on an episode with a good cliffhanger, but Stein;Gate really leaves me wanting more after each episode. Its been a while since a show has done this for me. Madoka didn't have that hook every episode that Steins does.

Looking through MAL completed titles, the last time I was this drawn to a show was FLCL. (KLK doesn't count)

Just found out that GARNiDELiA is doing the OP for Gundam: G no Reconguista. I really need to get up to date on the UC.

I agree, anime that has this kind of hook doesnt just come around often. From The New World similarly captured my imagination and refused to let go. I just couldnt stop watching it.

TUSR

Banned
Ah yeah, I should get around to pre-ordering that too!

Yup. Super excited for that!

My KyoAni binge knows no bounds. Kill la Kill DVD/Blu-ray 2 (Hyb) Limited Edition is holding up my last Rightstuf order.

I just want my Ranma 1/2 BD 3

There are 952 titles on sale from the Section23 Films, Sentai Filmworks, Switchblade Pictures, Maiden Japan, Kraken Releasing and Happy Carrot sale.

zeroshiki

OH MY FUCKING GOD THEY'RE MAKING A SHIGATSU WA KIMI NO USO ANIME?!!!!

I had to come back just to be excited about this. Do we know the staff? Please please don't be shit.

Dresden

OH MY FUCKING GOD THEY'RE MAKING A SHIGATSU WA KIMI NO USO ANIME?!!!!

I had to come back just to be excited about this. Do we know the staff? Please please don't be shit.

First time director and some career haremjunk anime writer who worked on Elfen Lied and Highschool DxD.

cajunator

Banned
My KyoAni binge knows no bounds. Kill la Kill DVD/Blu-ray 2 (Hyb) Limited Edition is holding up my last Rightstuf order.

I just want my Ranma 1/2 BD 3

Yeah I think I have everything by KyoAni that has been released in the US. Not that it is a whole lot really.
i dont have Tamako Market though, until a bluray gets released.

Branduil

From the New World Ep. 1

What a weird night gown. Not sure if pandering or just eccentric fashion design.

The pandering is all in the trashy manga adaptation, LOL.

God I watched that so hard on Toonami back in the day. Whenever I need to get pumped I just blare this little theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDUILPERrBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom