• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

My KyoAni binge knows no bounds. Kill la Kill DVD/Blu-ray 2 (Hyb) Limited Edition is holding up my last Rightstuf order.

I just want my Ranma 1/2 BD 3

There are 952 titles on sale from the Section23 Films, Sentai Filmworks, Switchblade Pictures, Maiden Japan, Kraken Releasing and Happy Carrot sale.

I'm just saving my money load for the holiday sale now. Plan on picking up smaller/shorter titles i've wanted (and have already seen), or shows with multiple seasons/parts that will be bundled.

Stuff like Hellsing Ultimate, FMA Brohood, KoikeLupin, Samurai Champloo, etc. Outside of brand new releases i'm just gonna wait and see what happens!

zeroshiki

No need to be crushed, just hold faith in your heart.

I'll certainly be checking it out.

It's probably one of those things where if they adapt faithfully enough, I'll just be happy that there's an anime and be content.

If they fuck it up though, I will personally hunt them down and subject them to SAO marathons.

cajunator

Banned
My "favorite" part was when it created a brand new female character just to make sure (series spoiler, obviously)
Saki had another girl to have sex with once Maria was gone.

That show is a masterpiece. Definitely one of the best shows in recent years.

TUSR

Banned
Two-Mix was so hype. I had an old VHS tape a good Anime convention friend made for me, a Two-Mix-Visual-Mix.

Pop it into your VHS player.

I got tingles from watching OP2 again.

I remember staying up late at night to watch GW on school days. I never caught it every night, but still the story made just as much sense at times.

I remember staying up late at night to watch GW on school days. I never caught it every night, but still the story made just as much sense at times.

To Outer Space, every one of us! ;o

I'll have to see if I can find the tape...and then a VCR. xD

TUSR

Banned
That show is a masterpiece. Definitely one of the best shows in recent years.

Im assuming you already saw this and this?

Which you probably own both already.

There are so many titles on sale that i've been meaning to buy. Wow.

Kokoro, K-On!!, Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya, and From the New World.

cajunator

Banned

It kind of blows my mind that a lot of kids today dont recognize a vhs tape. They never got to experience the warping, scratchy, snowy goodness of anime on vhs. That makes me kinda sad.

TUSR

Banned
It kind of blows my mind that a lot of kids today dont recognize a vhs tape. They never got to experience the warping, scratchy, snowy goodness of anime on vhs. That makes me kinda sad.

The pains of adjusting the tracking on a VHS tape. Im positive I have Ranma on a VHS somewhere under my house.

Do you like neo Trigger?
9lLy2rm.jpg

Akame Ga Kill! 11-13

Finally got caught up. Meeting new characters since the members of Night Raid have the life expectancy of a George R.R. Martin character. It is killing my brain to see what's supposed to be a medieval setting and having someone like Chelsea who looks like she's going shopping at Shibuya. But whatever, anime. I like the new chars so far and the action and animation remain decent. Will continue watching.

Space Dandy 23

Past the Itano circus, John Carpenter's The Thing reference, and the amazingly obscure Chuck Norris' Karate Kommandoes namedrop, didn't really feel this one all that much either.

You have no soul.

Noragami 1

When is Japan going to do something about the scourge of bus drivers who are always running down cute girls? If I had 5 yen for every time a bus driver killed someone in anime, I'd be considerably richer than Yato.

Decent first episode with a couple nice pieces of sakuga. Will watch more.

I know it wasn't your intention, but I'm going to answer seriously! :
I think the idea is to make clear the character has been killed. If it's only a car, the viewer could doubt of the character's fate, he could survive; a bus running down someone is shorthand for instant death. That's why it's always a bus in series.

duckroll

I can confirm that none of Bahi's cuts for Ping Pong #3 made it in. They probably couldn't afford to finish and inbetween any of them. They would probably also have stood out too much given how the rest of the show looks and moves in general. It's really too bad. :(

Space Dandy 22
Wasn't feeling this one either past a few visual gags.

Space Dandy 23

Past the Itano circus, John Carpenter's The Thing reference, and the amazingly obscure Chuck Norris' Karate Kommandoes namedrop, didn't really feel this one all that much either.

Space Dandy 24

Wasn't feeling this one either. Might just be in the wrong mood for the show tonight.

Did like that they brought back the ED for this one though. Fitting.

Wow. Being this down on three completely different types of Dandy episodes in a row. This is a mega downer. :(

I'm just going to leave this here because not everyone is on IRC or Twitter: http://tamerlane420.wordpress.com/2014/09/29/japanimation/

This part raised my eyebrow:

Despite their witticisms and innuendo, most “good” anime critics aren’t far removed from Youtube reviewers who chop up programs into discrete categories of Plot, Animation, Sound etc. and average out a score for the work. To the anime critic, a good anime must fill out the scorecard and weaknesses in ‘Plot’ or ‘Characters’ or ‘Sound’ and so forth are crippling. This is different than how the rest of art criticism works; many famous critics have triumphed uneven or imperfect works as masterpieces because they represent something greater than the standards of their time, because real critics work with aesthetic philosophy instead of checklist summary..

First, what the hell is "aesthetic philosophy".
And yeah, there are some works that are so good in a particular feature (direction, or writing, or animation) that are note-worthy just for that even with a crippling weakness in another side, but they are very much the minority. Usually the normal review style of "checklist summary" is a good one, most people agree the classics and masterworks appear when all the features (writing, direction, photography, characterization) work a high level in unison to form a great end product. When one the the points fail the end result is usually notably inferior.
So people don't review works of fiction in that way just for laziness, it corresponds of how we judge.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm both dreading this season and anticipating it. I'm very conflicted on things, but i guess the ratio would be 40 dreading 60 anticipating...there's only a few shows that i actually care about going in, but hopefully there are some sleeper hits

You like sport animu, we're safe brah... this year is legendary for the genre.
Yeah, I know I won't be disappointed in those, I haven't. Been trying to get into other stuff. The three mecha series Captain Earth, Argvellion and Aldnoah Zero haven't maintained my interest. It's weird because not a day goes by that I don't come across a new manga that interests me.

dan2026

Finally finished Fate Zero a few days ago.

Wow what a great series.

Spoilers
I knew the best character (Iskandar) would die. He was too cool for this world.

And that asshole Gilgamesh got away scott free. In fact thinking about it all the villains won. What the fuck?

From the New World Ep. 1

It's got a nice visual style and the premise is intriguing, but I'm not digging the narrative too much so far. Not to say it's bad. The scenes with the kids interacting with each other are kind of annoying since there is always someone raising their voice. Comes across a little too hard in trying to establish their character traits and group dynamic.

What a weird night gown. Not sure if pandering or just eccentric fashion design.

You're in a for a treat. Don't let the at times awful animation quality deter you and keep going. There's a scene that has the most laughable bolder physics I've ever seen :s

That said, the general art direction is pretty strong and the show can be quite beautiful at times.

Taruranto

17,869 *1 Free! -Eternal Summer- [BD+DVD]: 2014/09/17
13,836 *2 Persona 4 the Golden [BD+DVD]: 2014/09/10
11,776 *1 Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun [BD+DVD]: 2014/09/24
*9,204 *3 Kuroshitsuji: Book of Circus [BD+DVD]: 2014/08/17
*8,293 *1 Aldnoah.Zero [BD+DVD]: 2014/09/24
*5,711 *1 Barakamon [BD+DVD]: 2014/09/24
*4,666 *2 Bakumatsu Rock [BD+DVD]: 2014/08/17
*4,384 *1 Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei! [BD+DVD]: 2014/09/26
*3,821 *1 Hanayamata [BD+DVD]: 2014/09/26
*3,134 *1 Ao Haru Ride [BD+DVD]: 2014/09/17

Wow, no LN garbage/idol in top 3? What the hell happened to Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom