• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

I don't know how some of you can watch so much. I barely have the stomach to watch one bad anime at a time.

Well I imagine not considering it bad, but enjoyable is the first step :)

Certainly that's how I feel I approach stuff. Any media I'm not enjoying I drop pretty quickly as there's to much stuff to try to waste time on things I'm not liking.

I guess I'll do SEED-> SEED Destiny-> Star Gazer.

Himegoto 1-13 END
That was 50 minutes I'll never get back.
40380.png
If I had known about this place I would have came here and told you not to watch it months ago. I stopped at ep. 5

Narag

Space Dandy 23

Past the Itano circus, John Carpenter's The Thing reference, and the amazingly obscure Chuck Norris' Karate Kommandoes namedrop, didn't really feel this one all that much either.

I'm just going to leave this here because not everyone is on IRC or Twitter: http://tamerlane420.wordpress.com/2014/09/29/japanimation/

I'll admit from my amateur impressions I write I use the checklist summary to describe my views because that seems to be the typical thing to do. However, I try to stay away from that and write about what impressed me and what did not as that is what impressions are meant to be. The thing about this article/blog is that Tamerlane goes into detail about what he finds wrong about the typical anime reviews but does not go into what could make them better. What is he looking for in a critic to elevate their review above the rest?

I may not be as experienced with anime as the more prominent posters here on animeGAF and I'm no wizard with words but I'm honestly pondering what makes a good review and what I can do to improve myself. I'm not looking to judge anime as a higher form of art, I watch it as a hobby and review it as such. I post impressions to let others know my taste and perhaps help others judge if an anime is worthy of their time, nothing more.

cajunator

Banned
Ka6i5S3.gif

Can't wait for Ikuhara to save anime again!

So effortlessly he saves it.

Pantsu aside, the thematic material I read about is very true to Ikuhara's style. No reason to be disappointed in this on that front unless you just hate his style*

ikuhara will deliver as he always has. We definitely know it wont be boring!

Okay so let me get this straight. The creator of Utena and Penguindrum is making an anime called Lesbian Bear Storm. The premise is that after the asteroid Bearia explodes and creates a meteor shower which hits Earth, the bears rise against the humans and there is a great war which results in an endless cycle of hate and mutual destruction. The bears eat humans, the humans shoot bears. This is totally unbearable. Why is there such a bearrier between the two races? The main characters seem to be bears infiltrating human society to take it down or something. Incidentally they can disguise themselves as high school girls, and their distinctive designs are how they wear different types of panties. I'm not sure if I can bear to watch this.

This really sounds like the greatest thing ever but Im not sure.

mankoto

Minor nitpick but his name is Athrun.
My bad. Still trying to get used to the names.

Yeah, their genes have been altered to give them stronger and faster bodies that are virtually immune to diseases.
Figured.

Also quick question, are you watching the dub or the sub?
Sub

And your first paragraph is wrong sorta. There was no peace pact with the earth and the plants. What they're doing there in that particular colony will become more apparent as the story moves foward, but your mostly on track right now with Kira and Athrun.
Ah okay. A few characters said that they were in a neutral zone, and even with a neighboring one had just fallen, one character said they were going to be fine.

If I had known about this place I would have came here and told you not to watch it months ago. I stopped at ep. 5
I watched it all in one shot so I have an excuse as to why I haven't finished Glasslip yet.
I'd rather go through this than Glasslip any day.

cajunator

Banned
I've compiled a list of shows this season which are of at least some interest to me. Split them into categories, linked trailers for each show, along with a short comment. Maybe it'll be helpful for those looking for something to watch! :)

Kids
Tribe Cool Crew - Trendy dance anime with kids. Stylish designs. Might appeal to those who are looking for dance/music shows without all girl casts and idols.
Mysterious Joker - Heist gag action comedy for kids. Has 2D animated car chases. Looks fun.
Gundam Build Fighters Try - If you didn't watch the first season and aren't looking forward to this new season you're a criminal.
Ronia the Robber's Daughter - Goro Miyazaki's TV anime adaptation of the beloved classic. Ghibli is helping with design production, but the show is a full CG anime by Polygon Pictures.

2Dark2Edgy
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works - Ufotable, huge production values, will likely have amazing animation and music, too bad it's still F/SN.
Rage of Bahamut Genesis - Huge blockbuster dark fantasy series funded by f2p mobile success, from the director of Tiger & Bunny. Looks great.
Garo -Hono no Kokuin- - Anime spin-off of the dark fantasy tokusatsu series. Features shiny CG armored hero knights fighting demons.
Psycho-Pass 2 - Tune in to find out if after another year and a half on the job, Akane still needs someone to explain everything to her.

Action
Parasyte - The Maxim - Adaptation of a well regarded horror action manga about alien parasites invading Earth. If Madhouse can do as good a job as they did with Hunter x Hunter, this should be great. It's airing on NTV late at night, so there should be no censorship concerns either.
The Seven Deadly Sins - The director of Blue Exorcist returns with another shounen action adaptation. I can already hear Cosmicblizzard's pants tearing apart.
Chaika the Coffin Princess: Avenging Battle - Chaika, good. Watch more, please. BONES, love very much!

Drama/Comedy/Romance
Amagi Brilliant Park - Kyoto Animation adaptation from the Hyouka team. Will probably not be anything like Hyouka. But it does have Bonta-kun as a mascot character. Because you know, FMP fans haven't suffered enough. :)
Shirobako - The director of Joshiraku and Girls und Panzer is making a show about girls working in the anime industry making anime. How could anyone not watch this?!
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso - New noitaminA show which actually looks like a noitaminA show. Romance, coming of age, music passion. Hope it's good.
Inou Battle Within Everyday Life - Trigger will probably not save anime with this light novel adaptation about students who have special powers but form a club to hang out since they can't do anything with them.

True Art (TM)
Gundam Reconguista in G - See the OP.
Mushishi: The Next Chapter (Second Half) - It's Mushishi.

very solid list from the look of it.
Chaika and Shiro Bako are my most anticipated.

Midonin

Jinsei 10

Finished yet not finished, a brief holdover from the previous season. (At least until CR gets their Climb subs out beyond the first one.) Ikumi remains my favorite girl, and the helping of the three "negatives" this time had lots of great little moments. Ikumi talking about Fumi and getting wrapped up in her own ideas, the return of Hypno-Rino and Fumi once again getting oddly passionate about conversations with inanimate objects. It was my favorite comedy of the previous season, but it's also not really done yet.

Narag

Space Dandy 24

Wasn't feeling this one either. Might just be in the wrong mood for the show tonight.

Did like that they brought back the ED for this one though. Fitting.

cajunator

Banned
SAO 13

SAO Logic: The Episode. RapeyMcRaperson gets all "YOU'RE MINE NOW I LOVE YOU" on Sinon despite the fact that he was hanging out at her house with death-serum he planned to use on her like 10 minutes prior. And lets not forget our resident Gary Stu's new entry in the highlight reel of "Most Gary Stu Moments." He gets Sinon's address and promises to send the police there, but that never happens because he's too busy running over there by himself to get in a flying knee drop on McRaperson. Conveniently, he hasn't 4mentioned his harem or girlfriend to Sinon this entire time, either.

Log Horizon 20
So he invented the "Adventure" subclass... So when are people that want to live on the edge get the "People of the Land," subclass?

Actually no. Let's go even deeper and see if we can create entirely new classes

A tale of two series. Both talking about the same thing. One having competent writing and not jacking itself off. At least the other has Shinon I guess.

Time of Eve bluray came in the mail today. It's my first Kickstarter thing

Oh that looks great! Congrats!

Articalys

Time to start playing the guessing game for which series from this season will get the short end of the simulcast stick and be ignored by all services.

I don't know how some of you can watch so much. I barely have the stomach to watch one bad anime at a time.

I'm beginning to feel that way. I think this season I only have plans to watch Gundam build fighters and Psycho pass season 2, and I'm not sure I even want to see the latter since Urobuchi isn't writing it this time :/

Everything else is up in the air. This trend really didn't start for me up until about either Fall 2012 or summer 2012. I think my triggers right now are either dense male leads with no common sense and self-esteem, heavy emphasis on the power of friendship, or hero protagonist who has things conveniently go their way at just the right moment.
Edit:
And the artsy type who start talking philosophy but wind up either contradicting what they said or making no sense in the long run.

Ah okay. A few characters said that they were in a neutral zone, and even with a neighboring one had just fallen, one character said they were going to be fine.

The colony itself is actually owned by a neutral nation whos basically a self insert for Japan but not really. You'll find out about them later.

Midonin

Time to start playing the guessing game for which series from this season will get the short end of the simulcast stick and be ignored by all services.
Probably Garo. Being the fifth TV series (though a good entry point on its own) of a semi-obscure toku franchise lowers its chances.

yami4ct

Probably Garo. Being the fifth TV series (though a good entry point on its own) of a semi-obscure toku franchise lowers its chances.

Yeah, I see zero reason why it would get a simulcast. We can't even get proper streaming for popular toku now. No way one of the services picks up an anime spinoff of one of the more niche ones.

More and more, it's looking like Reconguista in G is going to be the biggest no simulcast of the season and that scares me.

Yeah, I see zero reason why it would get a simulcast. We can't even get proper streaming for popular toku now. No way one of the services picks up an anime spinoff of one of the more niche ones.

More and more, it's looking like Reconguista in G is going to be the biggest no simulcast of the season and that scares me.

Gundam.info isn't doing a simulcast on Youtube? I assumed they would along with Build fighters 2 just like they did with SEED/Destiny HD remaster and build fighters 1.

yami4ct

Gundam.info isn't doing a simulcast on Youtube? I assumed they would along with Build fighters 2 just like they did with SEED/Destiny HD remaster and build fighters 1.

No announcement yet. I still am sort of expecting it, but every day that passes with no confirmation the chances of it happening now drop dramatically.

TUSR

Banned
Steins;Gate 6-7

There is a lot going on in this show because of time-stuff.

Okabe seems to become more and more shaken with what he is doing and the Jelly Man incident.

Almost won the lottery, something must have influenced the change in the numbers when moving world lines.

We learn that Okabe can retain memories when the world line shifts. Which was foreshadowed in the first 6 minutes of the show.

We still don't know exactly what or who the part-timer is, what the satellite is, and who John Titor really is.

Going to watch at least 1 more tonight and call it a day. Im at the point where I am enjoying the show so much I might pace myself some more on future viewings.

Branduil

Noragami 1

When is Japan going to do something about the scourge of bus drivers who are always running down cute girls? If I had 5 yen for every time a bus driver killed someone in anime, I'd be considerably richer than Yato.

Decent first episode with a couple nice pieces of sakuga. Will watch more.

cajunator

Banned
I'm just going to leave this here because not everyone is on IRC or Twitter: http://tamerlane420.wordpress.com/2014/09/29/japanimation/

much appreciated Jex. A good read.

It was an interesting read, but I could do without the excessive amounts of purple prose and patronizing attitude.

I do agree that his method here seems a tad high brow and caustic, though it is understandable that he is frustrated with the anime community falling short of his critical expectations.

There is an animeGAF IRC?

two of them actually.

That's basically how I feel about. I agree with some of his critiques but ultimately I don't feel that an anime thread on a gaming board was ever going to be a bastion of well written criticism. That's far too much to ask from people who simply contribute to the discussion on a casual basis. There aren't even any professional anime critics, let alone amateur ones.

While I certainly enjoy reading illuminating content on the occasion that I come across it I don't expect that as the norm of even the aim of this thread.

All that we ask of people here is that they discuss anime and follow the rules. There's no expectation for posters to produce content of a certain quality or style.

The one thing that I'd like the thread to do is have a welcoming attitude which helps disseminate information about anime to new viewers. I think we handle that pretty well through recommendations etc.

I like the general attitude here. I feel like newcomers have vast resources to watch or discover new anime and a wide range of personalities who share in enthusiasm for the medium. Yall have been so great and I love all of you, even if sometimes we dont get along so well.

MetalDeer

Terror in Resonance 1-4

I know I'm only 4 episodes in, but so far it's pretty disappointing. I don't hate it, though.

It seems like every minor (or major) reaction a character has to an event goes completely unexplained due to the lack of any backstory whatsoever, and it doesn't give off a "mysterious" vibe to make up for it, either.
(For example, the detective [Not sure of his name] who disapproves of Shibazaki joining their investigation or whatever; he'll just have these little outbursts as if Shibazaki wronged him in the past, but he never says anything implying that it's personal, nor does anything else in the show hint towards it)
Everything writing-wise seems very rushed so far, and seeing how it's only 11 episodes, I have a feeling that's not going to let up.

At least the music and art style is pretty good, though.

Mothman91

Noragami 1

When is Japan going to do something about the scourge of bus drivers who are always running down cute girls? If I had 5 yen for every time a bus driver killed someone in anime, I'd be considerably richer than Yato.

Decent first episode with a couple nice pieces of sakuga. Will watch more.

Liked the show, hope you like it also.

Mature

Detective Conan is back! And with it, a bit of "Kogoro in a bar" and a little bit of AO hell. I don't care though; it's an itch that needs scratching. So give it to me. Bring me those delicious half-baked mysteries. That junk food born of familiarity, nostalgia, and that scant potential of surprise greatness.

Detective Conan 733 - The Wedding Banquet and the Two Gunshots
CwCIGub.png

Another exceedingly average anime original case. The one, most important thing to take away from this episode is that a guy launched a gun— the murder weapon— to a different destination using a bamboo shoot. That's not clever or safe! (The flashback of him doing it is pretty comical though)

Detective Conan 736 - The Secret of the Kogoro Mouri Statues
SQYWJb1.png

Oof. Not a great start. A man with a clearly manic obsession with Kogoro decides the best way to celebrate the man is to waste his time with a game of tag. A great anime original episode knows it's budget and constraints and plans around them. This one is sort of the antithesis to that. Large, sloppy, digital set pieces with no design or charm present a background that might as well have been blank. The mystery ended up being a very obvious bait and switch by the victims assistant. His motive is unclear because I forgot it despite having watched it only moments ago.

Detective Conan 738-739 - Kogoro in the Bar (Part I & II)
Hh2Ywch.png

I'd heard about this case from manga readers so I was kinda looking forward to it. I was more hoping for a Kogoro episode that showed the sharper, more keen side that shows up every once in awhile, but it ended up being a pretty by the books murder case with a bit of Black Organization stuff at the end. Stuff that I really need to rewatch because it's getting exceedingly complicated as it tends to do. This case also belongs in the club of absolutely inane evidence removal apparatuses. How do you get rid of the head of a throwing dart that will point you back to the murder in front of your friends? Well, if you have a film canister, just make a rocket out of it using some chemicals, then attach clay to the top of it, stick the dart head facing up and stick it in the cieling! Don't forget to properly struggle with opening a champagne bottle to mask the sound and effect.

Detective Conan 743 - Two Overlapping Coincidences
bwi1u80.png

Ah! Good ol' Danny's. And, hey, just like that, a decent anime original episode makes up for the bad pot. A hooded attacker (colloquially known as "The Hooded Man"...) has been attacking women and stealing their purses. Within the first five minutes of the episode, the hooded man is swiftly taken down by Ran, brought in, and the victim saved. But it turns out something is still amiss. The victim's room mate was found murdered in the same park, but roughly after the hooded man was apprehended. Turns out the first victim killed her room mate and just happened to be attacked by the hooded man. She seized the opportunity to lay the blame on him by switching out her murder weapon for his. The deduction show was particularly good because the clues were pieced together observations that added up to inconsistencies as opposed to just cheap tricks that the viewer couldn't guess.

Detective Conan 751 - The Case of the Beckoning Calico Cat (Part I)
Conan's a dick by the way.
Fun case, though I probably didn't need to know that much about spaying and neutering cats. I like that
Bourbon
is spending his time solving missing cat cases on the Black Organization's dime. It was pretty morbid to see the cat's owner happily reunited, then dead on the floor in the epilogue. Such is the fate of one-off characters in Conan. Seeing how these are adapted episodes, maybe the second one will have a bit of main story tucked away the end. Here's hoping.

cajunator

Banned
I honestly don't know what I'd do if I had to choose between K-On!! and Hyouka.

I'd probably choose K-On!! :(

same. No hesitation.

It just goes to show that you should be cautious on an adaption done by Studio Pierrot.

Kaze no Yojimbo was interesting. Im not sure what that was adapted from though.

Started Madoka because why not.

Madoka 1-3

What the hell did I just watch. The labyrinth parts are so unsettling..

Hehehe. Please do continue. This show has several mysteries to unveil and some definite twists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom