• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link Man

Banned
Space Dandy 10

Came into this episode not expecting much, and left with one of my favorite episodes thus far. The theme of this episode really resonated with me.

Oh, and there seems to be an actual plot to this series? Who woulda thunk it?

Jarmel

Banned
I'm curious to if whether Amagami Park will end the era of KyoAnus

Honestly, Takemoto is a great director, possibly the best director at KyoAni and Shimo is a fairly decent writer. Shimo is a shitload better than Jukki Hanada. So the writing and directing seemingly have good chemistry with each other, as the works Takemoto and Shimo have done together have been highly lauded. I've been rewatching Fumoffu and it's really well directed in how Takemoto uses visuals to explain what people are thinking, nowhere near as advanced as Hyouka. There is a quick snippet in a recent PV that shows elements of that with the MC so I expect that to continue.

I have heard that the LN is a bit of a mess. Not so much in fanservice, which I really don't give a flying fuck about (not to mention people are taking the fanservice out of context). It's not like KyoAni hasn't done tons of lewd shit in the past but people have somehow become attached to their impressions of KyoAni doing non-lewd stuff like K-ON. The issues I've heard about in regards to the LN, have to do with the narrative being a bit aimless at times, as well as the pacing. It seems like however that KyoAni is doing an extensive rewrite of the stuff. How extensive? Who knows, although one of the key art images had many of the characters from the LN so I doubt it will be a completely new work.

The art direction isn't as strong as Hyouka but I doubt we'll ever see art direction and animation on that level from KyoAni ever again (in a TV format) or certainly not for a super long time. Also I doubt that it would work in a comedic series like AmiBri but whatever.

That said, the manga has a few good moments in there that I could easily see expanded into really great scenes in the anime. One being where Kanye is sitting down on a bench thinking and the other being when Kanye is chiding the employees of the park. He should make for a fairly interesting lead just because of how much of an asshole he can be.

So in short, I think it's going to be a bit more melancholic than what the PVs have portrayed and I do expect it to be good, despite the wailing of posters on this forum.

yami4ct

Only watch SEED Destiny if you think you'll get some laughs from the stupidity. Otherwise just watch SEED for it is a good show inspite of what people say.

Or just focus on the amazing mech designs. That Destiny Gundam! One of my favorites. Impulse, Infinite Justce and Akatsuki are great as well. The Astrays are amazing SEED mainstays, too. Sure Destiny ruins the great Freedom Gundam with the awful looking, gaudy Strike Freedom, but I think it's got great mechanical designs overall.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm just going to leave this here because not everyone is on IRC or Twitter: http://tamerlane420.wordpress.com/2014/09/29/japanimation/

Give me a fucking break, Trava and Dead Leaves aren't good enough for people to be crying over. Good god.

I do think there are problems with the critical analysis in the Western anime community but some of it is just the nature of the beast. Unless I start learning Japanese, there's only so much I can read. I would love to read some stuff about the production process, there's a big book from one of the guys from Trigger on it. But it's in Japanese.

cajunator

Banned
Steins;Gate 3-5

Dude.

What is going on. This show is great, holy shit.

yeah its magnificent. It will get even better too. Prepare to be entertained to the fullest.

Kurisu

Really is best girl.

If you know what I mean.

She certainly is. One of the very best anime has to offer. Amazing waifu material.

Scans of Yuri Kuma Arashi character art have surfaced. Placed behind a link because of, erm, excessive pantsu.

Is that from Lesbian bear storm?

MetalDeer

Alright, Space Dandy finale was about as awesome as it could've been. When's the Blu-ray release?

Also, I'll have my Steins;Gate Blu-Ray tomorrow. Hype!

fertygo

Reading that Tamerlane's is a bit funny, because its remind me the practice of peer pressure in this threads lol. Its common knowledge few poster in here can drive most of thread resident's opinion, and rightfully so because those poster visibly had ability to construct their opinion better than the rest and had more knowledge about the medium.. but I'll bail out real quick if I ever seeing critic platform that crank it up to 1000 like probably that dude want.

I already pissed as it is reading some post in this thread that forming opinion with just reading other people's post, its damn fine to avoid certain thing that you probably would dislike from what your respected "critic" said, but spare me your opinion that don't watch shit. /not related rant.

Btw personally I always trying can enjoy both side of world.. I want know enough to can respect the arthouse stuff but I also don't want to lose ability to enjoy fim where you watching Denzel Washington smashing random fellow.

mankoto

I guess I'll do SEED-> SEED Destiny-> Star Gazer.

Himegoto 1-13 END
That was 50 minutes I'll never get back.
40380.png

CorvoSol

When I watched Getter Robo Armageddon for the first time, I must confess, I thought it was just okay. Which I suppose, was kind of my fault.

I had not seen anything Getter Robo outside of SRW. I had no idea who these people were, what their backstory was, or what was going on in general other than everything was screwed up real bad for just about everyone. It felt like I was watching GaoGaiGar Final without having seen the original GaoGaiGar. The only reason I didn't check out the previous Getter Robos was mostly due to the fact that 70s and 80s anime wasn't really my thing, and I heard that Armageddon was okay on its own.

I mostly continued watching it despite those complaints for the giant robot action, to which it delivered on that perfectly. Stoner Sunshine and
Shine Spark
were some really awesome moments.

But like I said, my enjoyment of it was a bit dampened due to me not really understanding the context of everything very well. I understood that Getter Rays were essentially Spiral Power, but that was pretty much it. It was still a fun experience though.

Also this *spoiler-filled* AMV on it is awesome. Heats is one of my favourite mecha songs of all time.

See, for me Armageddon was one of the single best anime I think I've seen. While New Getter Robo seems to play more off the manga, Armageddon is all about messing with people who watched the show. Just imagine that first episode: Michiru is dead, Ryoma is in jail for murder, Hayato's gone mad, Musashi and Benkei are barely holding on and Genki's lost his little mind.

And then it just goes from there. Doctor Saotome breaking down is great. It's like that moment in G Gundam when you find out about Professor Mikamura. And the three pulling together and flying into those Getter Multiverse moments.

It was incredible.

Jarmel

Banned
See, for me Armageddon was one of the single best anime I think I've seen. While New Getter Robo seems to play more off the manga, Armageddon is all about messing with people who watched the show. Just imagine that first episode: Michiru is dead, Ryoma is in jail for murder, Hayato's gone mad, Musashi and Benkei are barely holding on and Genki's lost his little mind.

And then it just goes from there. Doctor Saotome breaking down is great. It's like that moment in G Gundam when you find out about Professor Mikamura. And the three pulling together and flying into those Getter Multiverse moments.

It was incredible.

And I thought it was utter trash because it wasn't a coherent narrative.

CorvoSol

And I thought it was utter trash because it wasn't a coherent narrative.

You think literally every show I watch is utter trash, Jarmel.

"Guys I really like ZZ Gundam!"

"Yeah I saw an episode of that and it was shit."

"Guys I really like other obscure mecha show!"

"I saw an AMV of that once and it was shit."

"Guys I really like Getter Robo!"

"Yeah but it was shit."

You hate every show I watch.

Jarmel

Banned

"Yeah but it was shit."

Hey, I gave ZZ 8 episodes to impress me. That's only the UC or hell any Gundam show I've dropped like that.

As to Getter Robo as a whole, I haven't seen enough of the franchise to comment. Armageddon though was a mess.

Final was legit as fuck.

fertygo

Hey, I gave ZZ 8 episodes to impress me. That's only the UC or hell any Gundam show I've dropped like that.

As to Getter Robo as a whole, I haven't seen enough of the franchise to comment. Armageddon though was a mess.

I don't understand your complaint aboiut being a "mess" though
The plot is straight beat up the bad guys.. no other thing, if your complaint flipped to other side I can understand.. but a mess? the script that summarizing the key point maybe just about two paragraph. Its had as much narrative as rambo film, maybe you just reading too much into it.

Narag

"Yeah but it was shit."

He's not wrong here though. I mean, you have this vision established to start, Imagawa leaves, then you hit the climax of the series with the stoner sunshine. I mean the reveal is great and what comes after has some cool moments but it's all downhill.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't understand your complaint aboiut being a "mess" though
The plot is straight beat up the bad guys.. no other thing, if your complaint flipped to other side I can understand.. but a mess? the script that summarizing the key point maybe just about two paragraph. Its had as much narrative as rambo film, maybe you just reading too much into it.

The first three episodes don't match at all with the later stuff. There's a ton of dropped plot points from the first episode and some are addressed later with some bullshit reasoning that clearly was made up the day before.

The show had a wildly different direction after the first three episodes. Imagawa leaving, really fucked that production up.

Madoka 4-5

So its pretty bleak but expected. One thing I'm really not liking are the weird cuts and edits. Like random close up shots of face, then some turning and other angled shot then back. I dont really see the purpose of these other than to annoy.

Episode 5 had some great action animation towards the end. I dont trust that cat.

Branduil

Madoka 4-5

So its pretty bleak but expected. One thing I'm really not liking are the weird cuts and edits. Like random close up shots of face, then some turning and other angled shot then back. I dont really see the purpose of these other than to annoy.

First SHAFT show?

mankoto

Gundam SEED 1
So the gist of it all is that PLANTs and Earth have a neutrality agreement but PLANTs broke it by trying to stop the new mobile suit project. Arthur, Kira's friend, has joined PLANTs army and now that Kira knows about the mobile suits, he'll join Earth's.

Considering the people of Earth were called "Naturals," the people of PLANT have been modified somehow?

CorvoSol

He's not wrong here though. I mean, you have this vision established to start, Imagawa leaves, then you hit the climax of the series with the stoner sunshine. I mean the reveal is great and what comes after has some cool moments but it's all downhill.

I didn't make any motions to refute the claim, but I think the series maintains an excellent structure in spite of Imagawa leaving. There's a clear break and transition, yes, but I don't think it's all downhill after episode 3. I think its a disservice to what remains to call it shit, and I disagree that there's a lack of vision.

But I'm not going into this because there isn't any point going into a discussion when I can pour an hour into a post for a shitty one liner about how someone watched eight episodes and hated something I've talked about. It's worth no one's time to do that.

Jarmel

Banned
But I'm not going into this because there isn't any point going into a discussion when I can pour an hour into a post for a shitty one liner about how someone watched eight episodes and hated something I've talked about. It's worth no one's time to do that.

You're the one who brought up ZZ dude.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I can't believe Parasyte is getting an anime, I didn't even remember the manga origin until I see the eyes on the finger. Happy to have another show to look forward to!

Link Man

Banned
Space Dandy 11

Perhaps the most experimental of the episodes thus far. The art in this episode was quite interesting, using muted colors and high contrast to great effect. This, combined with a rather strange plot, seems designed to disorient the viewer, and it does so brilliantly.

Gundam SEED 1
So the gist of it all is that PLANTs and Earth have a neutrality agreement but PLANTs broke it by trying to stop the new mobile suit project. Arthur, Kira's friend, has joined PLANTs army and now that Kira knows about the mobile suits, he'll join Earth's.

Minor nitpick but his name is Athrun.

Considering the people of Earth were called "Naturals," the people of PLANT have been modified somehow?

Yeah, their genes have been altered to give them stronger and faster bodies that are virtually immune to diseases.

Also quick question, are you watching the dub or the sub?

Gundam SEED 1

Correct, they're called coordinators in the plants. Its a war between non-GMO humans (naturals) and GMO humans (coordinators).

And your first paragraph is wrong sorta. There was no peace pact with the earth and the plants. What they're doing there in that particular colony will become more apparent as the story moves foward, but your mostly on track right now with Kira and Athrun.

Link Man

Banned
Trying to get back into this again.

Mushi-Shi 16

A mushi that eats memories, seems like it would be a terrible thing. But it does have its benefits.

Steins;Gate - 7

Wow, this show is doing a really good job at keeping up with its foreshadowing.

This John Titor guy keeps saying that the future's a dystopia, but we still don't know exactly what's going on in the future outside of everything being screwed. (Though I think something along the lines of WWIII and nukes were mentioned at some point so that may be part of it).

So like before, Okabe is the only one with memories of the past World Line, which makes him apparently the key to saving the world from SERN. This kind of thing is gonna make for some really depressing moments later on, I can feel it. Time-travel really isolates people, if a certain other anime I watched had anything to say about that.

Quasar

This guy sure expects a lot. Hobbyists like us, even when we care to go in to more depth than usual in our discussions, are not professional critics, and should not be be held to their standards.

I'm going to admit his conflating media critics with forum posters confused me a bit. but maybe thats me with an old fashioned view of what a media critic is. I'd certainly never even consider my longest posting about a piece of media a piece of criticism.

As for his criticism about anime 'canon' (if there even is such a thing) and the lack of reassessment in criticism...well maybe thats true. I don't know if its worse than with film. Film just has the advantage of an established community of professional critics and critical avenues that anime does not have.

Articalys

Amagi Brilliant Park -- well, it's the next KyoAni show, and with my favorite KyoAni director, so I can get a bit excited for it. To be honest I'm not terribly fond of the giant mascot characters, but we'll see how that works out. HYPE LEVEL: ***
Log Horizon S2 -- continuation from one of my favorite series over the last few seasons, so of course I'm watching it. HYPE LEVEL: ****
Madan no Ou to Vanadis -- looks slightly better than your average fantasy LN adaptation. Plus the leading roles are Kaito Ishikawa and Haruka Tomatsu. Will at lesat give it a try. HYPE LEVEL: *
Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete -- first of the three not-Fate VN adaptations I'll try out. Also probably the first in line to be dropped since the CM looked terrible. HYPE LEVEL: [neutral]
Fate/stay night -- the blockbuster show of the season. Can't wait for ufotable's insane production values. HYPE LEVEL: *******
Grisaia no Kajitsu -- second not-Fate VN adaptation, and apparently the most popular of the three, at least enough to get on Steam soon. Will see how it goes. HYPE LEVEL: *
Sora no Method -- I still can't quite seem to articulate why I'm looking forward to this; I just am. Reminds me somewhat of a cross between AnoNatsu and the atmosphere of some of P.A. Works' original series, I guess. HYPE LEVEL: ***
Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de -- finally, it's Trigger's chance to shine with their first adaptation. I'll put my faith in Otsuka and company. HYPE LEVEL: **
Trinity Seven -- I've read a bit of the manga so I was looking forward to this for a while. Yoshitsugu Matsuoka as the MC should be a glorious casting decision. HYPE LEVEL: **
Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai -- third not-Fate VN adaptation. Looks cute, could be boring. Who knows. HYPE LEVEL: [neutral]
Chaika Avenging Battle -- Another sequel series to a show I enjoyed from the Spring season. Not too thrilled about it getting the 10-episode treatment though, but I'll enjoy what there is. HYPE LEVEL: ****
SHIROBAKO -- finally, the first non-fantasy P.A. Works show since Tari Tari, and it looks fun. Obviously won't be a super-faithful representation of anime production but I wonder how much they'll get right. HYPE LEVEL: **
Psycho-Pass 2 -- yes, the first one had its problems, but when it was good it was really exciting to watch. Hoping they got all their production work done on time for this season. HYPE LEVEL: ****
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso -- seems like a perfect fit for the classic noitaminA style. Knowing that it'll be a full adaptation is also reassuring. HYPE LEVEL: ****
Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu. -- worth at least an episode for the ridiculous premise alone. HYPE LEVEL: [neutral]
Girlfriend (Kari) -- apparently there's some info that it'll be omnibus style? I don't know for sure. The massive voice cast alone is enough to keep it on my radar, at least. HYPE LEVEL: [neutral]
Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru -- same thing here, they haven't really show off much of the show, but I don't want to write it off quite yet. HYPE LEVEL: [neutral]
Mushishi Zoku Shou S2 -- bringing up the anchor leg is one last show guaranteed to be great. HYPE LEVEL: *****

Oh, and I'll also probably watch that daily Tenchi Muyo series and that other 5-minute show about Yukari Tamura and her otaku husband.
And of course still continuing from this season are SAO, Akame, and Yama no Susume.

Even in the best-case scenario (dropping Vanadis, Waremete, Grisaia, Daito, OreTwi, Kari, and YuYuYu), I'm probably looking at four Thursday shows and four Saturday shows, with the other five scattered through the week.

...fuck. And I was trying to watch less this time around.

Midonin

I'm not going to post a list, but going into this season, my shows more or less fall along the same lines as any other seasons. Cute girls, comedies, daily life/healing, superhero-type shows, anything that falls in that general ballpark catches my attention. I like my anime feeling anime-like.

PriPara is still going to be the thing I look forward the most every week.

TUSR

Banned
Madoka 4-5

Episode 5 had some great action animation towards the end. I dont trust that cat.

pretty much as Branduil says.

First SHAFT show?

SHAFT gonna SHAFT. They have a formula and it works for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom