• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCG

Oh, sure, as always staff are always the most important factor when discussing any show I just find it peculiar that Sunrise would continue to create this kind of original content as an overall strategy.

Perhaps they already have enough money to play around with? From a wider historical perspective, that makes me wonder just how well did Tomino's crazier robot shows perform back in the day. Either way, even modern Sunrise isn't putting all their eggs in one basket, so it seems they can afford to diversify and take risks within the limits of their own conservatism.

They'll still have Gundam in not just one but two flavors this season. Cross Ange could potentially bomb or at least perform below expectations and it won't be the end of the world. They can also make even more profit next year with Gundam The Origin, more Love Live or more Code Geass (in spite of Akito releasing at a snail's pace), among other things.

The end of episode 1 is where the route split would be in the VN.

I guess you can spoiler tag it but how does the game make you choose which path you go down? Does it literally say "route fate, route ubw, route heaven's feel" after a certain point? I do plan to play the game after I finish the F/SN UBW anime.

Soulflarz

Banned
I guess you can spoiler tag it but how does the game make you choose which path you go down? Does it literally say "route fate, route ubw, route heaven's feel" after a certain point? I do plan to play the game after I finish the F/SN UBW anime.

From what I've heard...well theres a 3 download version (one each route), and the other is its literally a screen where you click it, with it being a forced order.

Perhaps they already have enough money to play around with? From a wider historical perspective, that makes me wonder just how well did Tomino's crazier robot shows perform back in the day. Either way, even modern Sunrise isn't putting all their eggs in one basket, so it seems they can afford to diversify and take risks within the limits of their own conservatism.

They'll still have Gundam in not just one but two flavors this season. Cross Ange could potentially bomb or at least perform below expectations and it won't be the end of the world. They can also make even more profit next year with Gundam The Origin, more Love Live or more Code Geass (in spite of Akito releasing at a snail's pace), among other things.

If it comes to worst they can just make third season of SEED and swim in the money again.

Blusby

Fate/Stay Night UBW 4

Question for those who've played the VN, at what point are you able to choose which of the 3 paths you go down? The show has given a lot of attention to Rin (as it should since UBW is her romance path in the VN from what I understand) but it still feels like we're in the pre split.

As someone who generally doesn't like harem stuff I think it's decently explained enough in F/SN UBW so far. Saber is living with Shiro with no real romantic interest in him (at this point in the story) more so because she can't dematerialize. This of course this leads to misunderstandings from his sister/cousin/teacher who decides to move in with him (she basically was already living there) to make sure no shacking happens. Obviously Sakura moving in seems the most forced, but it's obvious that Fuji-nee knows Sakura is mad crushing on Shiro and Sakura has been spending a lot of time over there anyways before the Holy Grail War started (not that Fuji-nee knows this) so it works itself out in Fuji's eyes.

Overall the episode was okay, did some character building and world building for first time viewers who missed F/Z. Yeah the "you don't smile" into fire scene was goofy/bad, but overall this is still fairly enjoyable nothing in this episode was so offensive to make me go from really enjoying to "fuck this dropped" especially after how great episode 3 was.
The game's in enforced route order if you're playing through the original, if you're playing the Realta Nua release then each route is its own game.
Also don't worry about Sakura turning this into some harem because she's gonna be leaving the story very soon.

From what I've heard...well theres a 3 download version (one each route), and the other is its literally a screen where you click it, with it being a forced order.

Gotcha thanks Soul-Chan

Akame Ga Kill 18

Lubbock and Akame got to own face this episode and it was glorious. It's too bad most of the people Akame fights are completely below her level it'd be nice to see her get a serious one on one fight where her opponent was even in strength.

Rage of Bahamut episode 5
IuiiGTS.png
lJu5KMH.png
Another amazing episode. Somebody joked about Kaisar having no intelligence or agility points in his character, and they might be right. But the rest of his points are entirely on strength and jesus christ he is terrifying. The fight was great as short as it was, the shockwaves added a nice effect and worked as a visual representation of his rage and strength. But god damn man, even the demons were entertained by your jumping to conclusions and simple-mindedness.

Favaro getting serious is great but I assume he decided to go rescue them because
he feels guilty about getting Kaisar's dad killed and wants to rescue Amira. Which yeah proves that he's a scumbag with a heart of gold and probably didn't entirely cause Kaisar's dad's death
. The action was very epic at the end, best word to describe it with and looks like Jeanne D'Arc and the Orlesian knights finally have a role in the show that isn't wholy separated from the rest of the characters. Looking forward to the crew possibly meeting them later. It's nice to see that demons aren't these unbeatable beings either.

Over-all a very strong episode to show the resolve and ingenious/clever/sly nature of Favaro and the tenacity/strength of Kaisar when he gets serious. I really do hope that next episode
they finally clear the air on what happened back then and start to work together as allies for Amira, as at least now Favaro has heard that Kaisar thinks he's the reason for the death of his dad. I'm sure the truth isn't so black and white

Yeah. Unless the show drops the ball on the second half this is AOTS for me.

SAO S2 E 17

Klein stays losing, his best friend gets the ultimate sword in the game and a 5 girl harem that fawns over him, he gets a legendary hammer he can't use and an npc girl who blows dust on him and bails.

It's really a shame this arc was only 3 episodes it's by far the best arc of the entire series by playing to the series strengths and fully embracing the fact it's dumb fantasy harem shit.

Firemind

Bahamut - Genesis 5

I wish the production values were as good as they were back in episode 1 and the sound was a bit off in places but otherwise this was a great episode. Every episode so far has felt like it could be its own (or half of a) Hollywood movie and this episode was no different.

I don't know if its because the writing is so strong or just that writing in most other anime is so SHIT, but I REALLY appreciate that every time I'm left to wonder "why did that happen?", "how does X know Y", etc. the show always has a logical, sensical answer waiting in the wings. I also think they are doing a great job of weaving the going-ons of the world at large into the lives and narrative of Favaro et al. It doesn't feel ham-fisted but rather smooth and logical. Favaro and Kaiser do need to have a pow-wow soon to clear the air between them - its about time for the team up to begin in earnest.

I do wonder if Cerebrus is ever going to do anything but lounge around in her underwear though :p
I don't know about you, but the part in episode two where Favaro only went after the girl because of the horse was pretty bad writing. It makes Favaro seem like a opportunistic dick instead of a jerk with a heart of gold. Episode dive redeems him somewhat, but he's still a twat in my eyes. Maybe that's their intention. :shrug

Gugure Kokkuri-san! 4

I have a weakness to this anime's cuteness. Kinda funny how every youkai adult up to this point is portrayed as a creepy perv (played for laughs though). Tanuki-man revealing his animal form was pretty hilarious. Though I didn't thought much about the Yamamoto-kun gag, feels a bit overused and cliched IMO. It was nice of the plot to take place outside of Kohina's home for once, hope they do it more often.

Though one minor gripe I have with this series (up to these 4 episodes anyway) is that I felt the transition from 4koma to anime format doesn't seem (for lack of a better word) natural. Like, some scenes drag on a bit too long and the narrator commenting feels strangely unnatural and out of place. Then again I haven't really been watching much 4koma-to-anime anime so there's that.

Crocodile

I don't know about you, but the part in episode two where Favaro only went after the girl because of the horse was pretty bad writing. It makes Favaro seem like a opportunistic dick instead of a jerk with a heart of gold. Episode dive redeems him somewhat, but he's still a twat in my eyes. Maybe that's their intention. :shrug

But........ he IS a dick. He's always had a conscience and that will be further elaborated upon in the near future but the fact that it takes him this long, Episode 5, to really warm up to Amira and Kaiser to bother a rescue rather than attempt a rescue in Episode 2 is consistent with his personality.

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis 5

I said earlier that nothing could come close to touching Space Dandy for anime of the year 2014, and while that still holds true if Rage of Bahamut: Genesis continues to maintain it's fantastic all around quality it would seriously give me moment to reconsider. This show really is fantastic in pretty much every way. The main cast are really well rounded, diverse, and written to be fairly believable in their roles. It's really hard to know what to say when everyone else has already gushed over how great this series is, if you haven't started watching get on it.

jman2050

(Minor VN spoilers)
When you start Saber attacks and injures Archer during the scene shown at the end of ep 1 and that starts the Fate route. When you finish that, you're given a new choice at that moment which makes Shirou use a command seal to stop Saber before she attacks. That's what the current anime shows and what locks you into UBW. After you finish that, if you pick the right Sakura-related choices in the first three days you'll get a new choice to take her home when Taiga usually would instead. Doing that locks you into HF.

The routes are forced in that you need to finish Fate to unlock the choice for UBW, then finish UBW to unlock the choice for HF. Upon replaying, you get a choice where there was none before. It's not as blatant as outright saying "Fate/UBW/HF", but still somewhat obvious.

Thanks everyone for the explanation, sounds like I'll have to retread UBW to try out the third route when I play the game sometime next year.

World Trigger 4

Toei plz between this and Sailor Moon Crystal which also has no budget where the heck is all that One Piece money going? Majin Bone looks okay but you certainly can throw this series a bit more then nothing.

mhs004

Thanks everyone for the explanation, sounds like I'll have to retread UBW to try out the third route when I play the game sometime next year.

World Trigger 4

Toei plz between this and Sailor Moon Crystal which also has no budget where the heck is all that One Piece money going? Majin Bone looks okay but you certainly can throw this series a bit more then nothing.

Idk maybe they are just misusing the money. Or just taking it for themselves. Toei is terrible so neither would surprise me.

And people actually did that?
Well, once the routes branch the dialogue is completely different, so may as well go through all of it. Having said that though, the routes are still full of unnecessary kitchen and high school scenes IMO. Been a while since I played it though, might be remembering wrong.

Also, Shirou doesn't deserve ANY girl. >:/

Crocodile

World Trigger 4

Hookers and Blow obviously!

I have no idea how a show that's been in pre-production for so long looks as meh as SMC does. Did they really just start animating this June or something shit? SMH

Midonin

Sailor Moon R 05-06

Magical girl powerups were much lower-key back in the day. Basically a new brooch and a new weapon, with little to no changes in the actual suit. I've heard Princess Serenity compared to Zordon before, and I'm starting to understand why. Backup plans within backup plans. I liked the Minako episode. Seeing her get some focus is appreciated, and from what my friend showed me, it's written pretty similarly to a Sailor V story, right down to Artemis' opening narration. Minako really should've gotten the kill, even if Usagi does have new merch to sell.

Mr.Jeff

Yamato 2199 - End
Alright, fine. It was really good okay.

On behalf of SDBurton who is busy in Azeroth doing who cares, Yamamoto and Melda are best pair.

Well, I completed the UBW route and uh, it sucked. I never want to read or hear the word "ideals" or the rest of my life (too bad I still have Heaven's Feel to go through). At least the Fate route wasn't boring as it approached the end.

Considering how the show has gone so far I don't expect ufotable to improve it either. At least the fights will be pretty.

So why exactly did Ufotable opt to go with the UBW route for their "sequel to F/Z" anime adaptation? Is UBW the most popular route or the "canon" route (I guess it'll be considered canon now thanks to the anime).

Blusby

So why exactly did Ufotable opt to go with the UBW route for their "sequel to F/Z" anime adaptation? Is UBW the most popular route or the "canon" route (I guess it'll be considered canon now thanks to the anime).
Ufotable was originally adapting the Fate route for tv but late into pre-production pretty much went "Forget this, let's just adapt UBW instead".

It was probably because the Fate route just isn't as exciting for a tv series, has an actual harem, a lot of cooking, less fights than UBW, Fate!Shirou is a static character, not knowing how to make his romance with Saber without having Shirou say "Saber's a girl" in every line, a lot of infodumping throughout the entirety of the route, and that the story doesn't focus on anyone really other than Shirou or Saber.

UBW gives attention to the servants, develops Shirou, gives Rin a greater role other than being a walking, talking textbook, more fights, better pacing, and also a resolution that ties better into Zero's final scene.

Ufotable was originally adapting the Fate route for tv but late into pre-production pretty much went "Forget this, let's just adapt UBW instead".

It was probably because the Fate route just isn't as exciting for a tv series, has an actual harem, a lot of cooking, less fights than UBW, Fate!Shirou is a static character, not knowing how to make his romance with Saber without having Shirou say "Saber's a girl" in every line, a lot of infodumping throughout the entirety of the route, and that the story doesn't focus on anyone really other than Shirou or Saber.

UBW gives attention to the servants, develops Shirou, gives Rin a greater role other than being a walking, talking textbook, more fights, better pacing, and also a resolution that ties better into Zero's final scene.

How does Heavens Feel compare then? All I've heard is it's the route that makes everyone despise Shirou more then they already did. Why not choose to adapt that route instead of UBW? Is it more like the Fate route only replace Sakura with Saber?

How does Heavens Feel compare then? All I've heard is it's the route that makes everyone despise Shirou more then they already did. Why not choose to adapt that route instead of UBW? Is it more like the Fate route only replace Sakura with Saber?

Really? I've always felt that HF was well-received.

Blusby

How does Heavens Feel compare then? All I've heard is it's the route that makes everyone despise Shirou more then they already did
Heaven's Feel is often tied with Unlimited Blade Works as the favorite for most fans.

Heaven's Feel is pretty good though it has a number of issues, pacing-wise it's not as bad as the Fate route but it's still pretty wonky. Though unlike Fate it has a number of meaningful character arcs running parallel to one another so it doesn't feel anywhere near as much of a slog to trudge through. Another issue of mine is that I don't find Sakura compelling at all as either a heroine or a character and since she has a lot of screentime despite lacking agency in the narrative it sours my overall impression of the route.

Basically all the characters who didn't get as much attention up until this point become the primary characters along with Shirou and Rin. HF!Shirou isn't bad, he's actually fairly competent and is forced to mature faster than in the other two routes given how dire the situation in Heaven's Feel is. The reasoning for people who don't like him in this route if often related to having issues regarding his relationship with Sakura which in my opinion is pretty poorly handled, there doesn't seem to be much chemistry between the two. It is then that people who dislike Sakura may dislike Shirou just because many of his actions revolve around her. I myself really liked Shirou's relationships with both Kotomine and Illya, which in my opinion are the best across all routes so I was still able to enjoy HF!Shirou despite his relationship with Sakura.

Tokyo Ghoul Vol 3 cover art

B1UXLsMIAAEDlh-.png

Why do these cover Art look so amazing. Ishida you've done good, like seriously. I hope Funimation keeps it like this when they release the BD because I would just buy it for the art. Though in reality they probably won't :(

Cwarrior

World Trigger 4

The first episode was a good indicator that toei don't give a shit about world trigger unless it pulls a kindaichi returns by starting to killing it in the rateings then don't expect a budget boost or maybe once Majin bone & disc wars avengers ends it might have some it's talents relocated to work on world trigger if it's lucky.

Phatmac

Heaven's Feel is often tied with Unlimited Blade Works as the favorite for most fans.

Heaven's Feel is pretty good though it has a number of issues, pacing-wise it's not as bad as the Fate route but it's still pretty wonky. Though unlike Fate it has a number of meaningful character arcs running parallel to one another so it doesn't feel anywhere near as much of a slog to trudge through. Another issue of mine is that I don't find Sakura compelling at all as either a heroine or a character and since she has a lot of screentime despite lacking agency in the narrative it sours my overall impression of the route.

Basically all the characters who didn't get as much attention up until this point become the primary characters along with Shirou and Rin. HF!Shirou isn't bad, he's actually fairly competent and is forced to mature faster than in the other two routes given how dire the situation in Heaven's Feel is. The reasoning for people who don't like him in this route if often related to having issues regarding his relationship with Sakura which in my opinion is pretty poorly handled, there doesn't seem to be much chemistry between the two. It is then that people who dislike Sakura may dislike Shirou just because many of his actions revolve around her. I myself really liked Shirou's relationships with both Kotomine and Illya, which in my opinion are the best across all routes so I was still able to enjoy HF!Shirou despite his relationship with Sakura.
Not to mention Saber's transformation in HF is pretty great. Love the look of Saber in that route.

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis 4:
That Favaro/Amon reunion scene was great. It brought back the liveliness from the opening scene of the first episode, complete with some great music. This episode in general was really lively and fun. I also really loved Amira shifting back into human form while already chewing, and then spitting it out. The ending seems to suggest that things will be getting 'serious', but I hope the show can keep up this energy. Favaro seems like a more well rounded character after this episode's reveals, while still keeping his basic nature. Rita is pretty cool, aside from the fact that she's stuck wearing a tiny hat. Poor girl.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fate/Stay Night UBW 4

Question for those who've played the VN, at what point are you able to choose which of the 3 paths you go down? The show has given a lot of attention to Rin (as it should since UBW is her romance path in the VN from what I understand) but it still feels like we're in the pre split.

As someone who generally doesn't like harem stuff I think it's decently explained enough in F/SN UBW so far. Saber is living with Shiro with no real romantic interest in him (at this point in the story) more so because she can't dematerialize. This of course this leads to misunderstandings from his sister/cousin/teacher who decides to move in with him (she basically was already living there) to make sure no shacking happens. Obviously Sakura moving in seems the most forced, but it's obvious that Fuji-nee knows Sakura is mad crushing on Shiro and Sakura has been spending a lot of time over there anyways before the Holy Grail War started (not that Fuji-nee knows this) so it works itself out in Fuji's eyes.

Overall the episode was okay, did some character building and world building for first time viewers who missed F/Z. Yeah the "you don't smile" into fire scene was goofy/bad, but overall this is still fairly enjoyable nothing in this episode was so offensive to make me go from really enjoying to "fuck this dropped" especially after how great episode 3 was.

Literally in the first episode. Rin gets a shitload of time in every route, though.

Really? I've always felt that HF was well-received.

HF is the route for people who just like whatever the grimdark route is. Its not very good in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom