• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Detective Conan 341:
Haibara listening to the tapes is one of my favorite emotional moments. Those first words she hears and then her reaction is really incredible, and the music does a great job of setting that moment up right. The episode also had a lot of nice bits connecting Haibara with Akemi, and tying that into the resolution of the case. It also drives home the point about the normal life with a family that she was robbed of, such that she can only just sort of imagine what her family was like. The actual case isn't anything special, but it ties into the overall story of the episodes fairly well with the solution, and the Takagi/Megure antics are pretty amusing. And I love how foreboding the final scene with Vermouth is.

cajunator

Banned
Anything that excludes Girls Bravo can't be described as amazing.

Will the bonus disc contain On Your Mark?

Girls Bravo was one of the underrated gems of our era.

Blame light novels. Steins;Gate needed to end after the TV series. Nothing more needed to be said.

Nae is 11 in the TV series and the listed age for the girl with the side pony is 17.

Edit: I could also just read her name. It's Nae.

Though I did enjoy the OVA and movie.

Steins;Gate ended at just the right point after the OVA. If they go beyond that it will certainly be a mistake.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 85

When you're doing an episode about a movie audition with Ran being Aladdin and Sora as Jasmine (if that's her name in the non-Disney version), and Ran has to learn the art of sportsmanship and has the other girls attacking her randomly, you've got a great episode. But when you add in Johnny-sensei as the genie/sorcerer (it's a loose interpretation), full on with special effects? You in the elite class now, son.

Thoraxes

Genshiken: Second Generation available for preorder.
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/xQIAdOCqdqRhqmvSFR/browse/item/103671/4/0/0

MIIQGxj.jpg
Between this and Eccentric Family, NISA is doing good for 2015.

cajunator

Banned
Ordered the Australian release of Date A Live (BR) because I've given up hope of it getting released in the UK. It's the same region (B) so I'm assuming it'll run fine, but someone kindly let me know if I'm wrong.

Worth every Kurumi laden cent.

My Little Witch Academia BD set is out for delivery.

Praise TRIGGER.

worth it too!

Fate Side/Mouth 1-4

At this point, I think I'll just wait for webms of the fight scenes to come out and watch those instead. I already know the story and unless the adaptation takes serious liberties with the plot, there is no reason for me to watch this outside of the battle scenes which are really well done.

Rin is still best girl, but good god she got the short end of the character design stick

how on earth does a studio remake a series and fuck up Rin? It is a travesty. Even Deen got Rin right.
hang your head in shame Ufotable.

Working!! 01

It's not easy being short.

A part time employee gets hired, a customer gets insulted and fluffy hair gets touched. Pretty funny so far.

so good. All of it. Both seasons. Yamada is a goddess and you should worship.

Will buy for Hato antics

duckroll

Amagi - Episode 5

Well, this was kinda fun, but they could have done so much more with the concept. For an exploration adventure episode, there wasn't much effort put into making the exploration or adventure particularly interesting. There's a lot of good art and slick production values, but none of that really elevates the material. It just feels like a ton of effort put into stuff that matters less in the long run. I wish this show had better writing and more interesting characters. As it is, this episode reminded me of that forgettable noitaminA show about some waifu's buried treasure or something, except with better production values.

---

Tribe Cool Crew - Episode 5

This is a pretty low-key training episode which serves as a pre-cursor to the dance battle next week. There wasn't a whole lot of interesting stuff but again what makes the show appealing is the character interactions and how earnest the show is about presenting positive vibes to kids. The stuff about having more self-confidence is something I always enjoy seeing in kids shows. It's a really good life lesson. Master T continues to be the Ral of this show, except less creepy but also less likeable. I wonder if he's Jey in disguise or something. :p

Firemind

Favaro is definitely more opportunistic dick than jerk with a heart of gold. The first thing he does with Amira is make a promise he has no intention of keeping.
He was drunk at the time, so he gets a pass. After he sobered up and realized he has a demon tail, he's forced into a companionship in an effort to lift the curse. He's a liar for his own benefits, not because he's malicious (other than trying to kill her to lift the curse). By the way, that not-a-lying-face running joke is overdone.

I can believe Favaro is an opportunist. My problem is the writer deemed it necessary to have an infatuated horse be the reason for the reunion, instead of any other reason that isn't completely farcical. I wouldn't mind if the horse stayed with the band, but after that plot device he or she is never to be seen again. A case example of a deus ex machina.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Escape from Bahamut: Genesis Episode 5:

Yea, I felt this one was a rather weak episode actually, the Gods vs demons things just isn't that interesting. Also, I may be the only one here who thinks this, but Kasier has worn out his welcome as he is very painfully one dimensional and I feel like I have seen all there is to see out of this character. The blind love under false assumptions angle isn't helping matters. Hopefully with the Lady of War back in the mix things pick up next episode.

fertygo

Bishoujo figure line from kotobukiya is actually made for "western" style franchise fan like marvel/dc character or other western ip.. the figure give Animeish aesthesic to them.. judging by that and the company always promote them heavily in US comic con, I'd say the main target audience for those figure actually not japanese fan.

Droplet

Samurai Flamenco is amazing and aside what appeared to be budgetary issues there is absolutely nothing I would change about it. For a show where plot twists come from nowhere and mysteries are resolved with "ha! there wasn't even a mystery in the first place!", the show is insidiously clever. More on everything if I get the time.

He was drunk at the time, so he gets a pass. After he sobered up and realized he has a demon tail, he's forced into a companionship in an effort to lift the curse. He's a liar for his own benefits, not because he's malicious (other than trying to kill her to lift the curse). By the way, that not-a-lying-face running joke is overdone.

I can believe Favaro is an opportunist. My problem is the writer deemed it necessary to have an infatuated horse be the reason for the reunion, instead of any other reason that isn't completely farcical. I wouldn't mind if the horse stayed with the band, but after that plot device he or she is never to be seen again. A case example of a deus ex machina.

Yeah, the horse thing felt like a contrived way for them to have their cake and eat it too. "See, he didn't change his mind and go save her, but he still kind of saved her by accident"

The show's been better about that stuff since then, though, so I guess I can give them a pass on it.

duckroll

The horse was definitely a bit of a deus ex machina, but it was also pretty funny, so it gets a pass. In general the show has a lot of convenient plotting to make the narrative flow at the pace they want it to move at, but in the end I think the main focus of the show is the big entertainment angle and the dynamic between Favaro and Kaiser. Also, it's worth noting that the show did have an entire scene prior to Favaro's betrayal, showing Amira charming the horse.

TUSR

Banned
So the bent corner on my LWA BD set is frustrating. I'm most likely going to open a ticket with Trigger's online store because the art book has a bent corner too, and with the amount I paid in shipping it shouldn't be like this.

God damnit.

Ojamajo Doremi - 33

Another decent episode, though I can't say anything really stood out about it though.

Playing the opening theme near the end of the episode during the race was a nice touch, I guess.

Next episode looks really interesting as it appears to have some focus on Ai's mother from the looks of the preview.

Midonin

Trinity Seven 05

Liselotte may be a bit of a problem to get around to their side. Lilith is a fun tsukkomi character, and watching the girls in general interacting is pretty fun, even when it's mostly Arata killing time and acting perverted. Her skills even extend to the dream world, she's just that good at what she does.

Man that music anime that came out looked so good at first but it got ruined by melodrama. Nodame Cantabile continues to be one of the only good ones. And I can't take Beck seriously with that engrish.

I would give my left arm for a show about the rise of a small town jazz band that becomes internationally famous.

cajunator

Banned
steins;ga-...well...

Well, to be fair, those were all pretty disturbed individuals.

So why exactly did Ufotable opt to go with the UBW route for their "sequel to F/Z" anime adaptation? Is UBW the most popular route or the "canon" route (I guess it'll be considered canon now thanks to the anime).

Because Fate route is all kinds of stupid and wrong.

So this came in the mail today.

Im a bit miffed, the bottom right corner is kind of bent on the art book. Not horribly, but you can see it on the special booklet.

Yayyy you got it! Too bad about the small bit of damage but its a really nice book.

Jex

The horse was definitely a bit of a deus ex machina, but it was also pretty funny, so it gets a pass. In general the show has a lot of convenient plotting to make the narrative flow at the pace they want it to move at, but in the end I think the main focus of the show is the big entertainment angle and the dynamic between Favaro and Kaiser. Also, it's worth noting that the show did have an entire scene prior to Favaro's betrayal, showing Amira charming the horse.

Chekov's Horse Whisperer.

Magic Kaito 1412 5

So there is a magic, real magic in this world. Wat. So random.
I should drop the series already, I just started it for kicks and giggles. Though this twist intrigues me. Are they going to expand on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom